Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  6 mins ago
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 geit:  25 mins ago
 Kronos:  28 mins ago
 amigakit:  37 mins ago
 saimo:  45 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 tonyw:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 matteo:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMTisFree 
Re: Audio is STILL crashing OS4
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 6:44:04
#141 ]

@Deniil715

It also appears with a 10MBit LAN and it crashes
Envoy every 5 minutes when copying load of files
(I'm transferring about 200GB from my A4000T).

There IS no pb with sound alone.
There IS a pb with sound and Ethernet.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Profile     Report this post  
fuskoSCN 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 6:47:04
#142 ]

@Deniil715

Hoj!

I use eth3com at 10mbit i guess... i've got a pretty slow adsl-line.

fuskoSCN

FuZion 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 7:46:39
#143 ]

@Samwel

Cheers Samwel,

If someone could elaborate on this information I'd be very grateful. I don't fancy frying my CPU but if my VCore needs to be different some confirmation would be great.

FuZion.

ikir 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 7:49:00
#144 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

This can be the problem. I only know that the right vcore for the 933 model used in A1 is 1,79.

This freeze problem happens with heat or wrong vcore.

@sgm
My big fan point to the mb, it can be an another chip which get hot.

FuZion 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 7:56:01
#145 ]

@FuZion

If this doesn't get sorted before, maybe someone could have a butchers at my internals at the next MAG meeting. To see if there's any cooling issues.

FuZion.

PS. Out first one was alright

Jacken 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 8:39:01
#146 ]

@all

I have a XE...

I've been testing my system to get this lockups...No luck..:)

Been using AmigaAmp for 4 hours now...Surfing with Ibrowse..Copying a 5gb file from my Pc to the A1(up to 5mb/s) And the mp3:s are played from the Pc to...
Watching the little frog with mplayer 20-25 times in a row at the same time...

Downloading a file with a peek of 230kb/s (average 150-160kb + 25kb for the mp3) I've got 2mb adsl..

Yesterday i was wathcing dvd:s over the network (dont have a dvd player on the A1) surfing,downloading...with no lockups...

I'm using the latest ethcom.device with no problem...
Some earlier versions of ethcom i had this kind of problems...but they are gone...

This is no help for anyone with the lockups...It's just some info...

ikir 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 9:27:38
#147 ]
Elite Member

@Jacken

You can help.

What cooling system? Where?

What cpu? What speed? vcore?

Steff 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 9:57:30
#148 ]

@thread

Sorry to be so late. Got home from work last night and then watched a movie with the family checked the Amiga only just before I went to bed!

Results?? I'm finding them a bit inconclusive but I'm prone to think that HEAT is the problem.

Yes, I did get a lockup after I went to work ysterday. The whole system froze and the clock showed that I hadn't quite left my home when it stopped. This surprised me a bit as everything seemed to be working just fine at first and I really don't see any reason for lockups. ????????????????

Before I went to bed I started the whole thing again just to be sure, I didn't use AWeb this time as I usually don't use and and can't be sure as to stability.

With RC5-72 running in the background and iBrowse downloading the second Debian ISO for dvd of 4.3 gb and Amiga Amp playing a songlist. Before I wnet to bed I started mplayer as well and watched a trailer (50 first dates) without any problem while all this going on. At 06:00 this morning I checked again and everything was working except the the download was stopped because it said my partition was full after downloading about half the Debian file! I started everything again after iI deleted the old Debian ISO #1 (which had only got to 370 kb about) and it stopped again after saying that the disk was full and "exactly" the same size as Debian ISO #2. The partition is still not full (12gb used and 46gb free) I'm usiing FFS so maybe it's a problem with FFS except that the partition has more on it now than last time it said it was full?

Yesterday was by far the best "summer" day we've had yet. My box is on the second floor where I have 5 BIG skylights in the roof. When they are not open to ventilate the room it gets mighty hot in here. Closed them down day before yesterday evening when it was still a bit chilly here and didn't open them at all yesterday. I have a Cooler Master Centurion case for my XE which has a small fan in the front and a very large one in the back. The whole front is an air filter keeping the innards free from dust. I have a MicroCool NorthPole northbridge cooler on my XE and it's overclocked to 1066 mhz and the vcore is set to 1.79v.

@Fusion

You asked about the meaning of the vcore earlier, not being other than an unenlightened amateur in this area I can only say that you can compare it to an electric motor in that when you feed it with too little current it probably won't even start turning but it doesn't get hot at least. With more current it will turn but probably stop with small amounts of load. Turning up the current even more will give you greater chance for applying more load but the hotter it will get lowering it's lifespan until you eventually burn it up.

I suggest something in the area of the specs for the chip you have slightly higher or lower will probably do no great harm but will definitly improve stability.

This is all ONLY if you have adequate cooling. Just by saying that the heatsink is only warm doesn't say jacks##t, excuse my french, this could only mean that your heatsink isn't transfering heat at all ( not seated correctly, bad paste, too much heat paste, or maybe even the infamous, heat pad between the heatsink and cpu that came with the board).

@amipal
Sounds like a nice setup but if you have not changed anything to do with your cpu and fan then in my books you're a candidate for overheating. The plastic pins that hold the cpu in place are so bad that I would be very surprised if they were still doing their job for anyone using their board. The aforementioned heating pad between the cpu and fan is really scary and the fan itself is only just adequate for "normal" use in an underclocked cool environement. Vcore settings must be checked as well.

Will test some more today if I can!

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

ikir 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 10:02:07
#149 ]
Elite Member

@Steff

Quote:
This is all ONLY if you have adequate cooling. Just by saying that the heatsink is only warm doesn't say jacks##t, excuse my french, this could only mean that your heatsink isn't transfering heat at all ( not seated correctly, bad paste, too much heat paste, or maybe even the infamous, heat pad between the heatsink and cpu that came with the board).]

You're right this is very important.

BTW the download stop because OS4 support max 2Gb files yet.

Samwel 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 10:06:18
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Jacken

I'm with Ikir. What CPU do you have? And what VCORE value is it set to?

This could actually be the solution..

Or the the reason Steff mentioned about the heatsink not aligned exactly
against the CPU.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Jacken 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 10:42:06
#151 ]

@ikir

I've got the orginal cooling so i'm not 100% sure about the the cpu, but on the label on the motherboard it says 7451 and next to the cooler it says 7455...800Mhz..

My vcore is on off on off = 1,59 I have never changed it...

And the temp in the room is high...up to 27 degrees...

I know...i should change the cpu cooler...

And i had not done the dma fix...

Steff 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 12:06:37
#152 ]

@ikir

Quote:
BTW the download stop because OS4 support max 2Gb files yet.

Yeah, thought it was something like that! Is that an FFS thingy or is it OS4 only related?

I have to shut down now because a thunder storm just came over us and the system went down the last time I wrote this and I don't want that to happen too often.

See, ya!

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Deniil715 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 12:29:38
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Jacken

There are different version of both the 7451 and 7451. You need to lokk directly on the CPU (remove the heatsink) to know exactly which one you have. Here's a refresh:

XPC7455RX933PC REV 2.1 1.85V +/-50MV 65C
XPC7455RX933LC REV 2.1 1.6V +/-50MV 110C
XPC7451RX800PG 1.8V
XPC7451RX800SG 1.7V
there may be other versions I don't know about.

J17:
1 on, 2 off, 3 on, 4 off =1.59V
1 off, 2 on, 3 on, 4 off =1.64V
1 on, 2 on, 3 on, 4 off =1.69V
1 off, 2 off, 3 off, 4 on =1.74V
1 on, 2 off, 3 off, 4 on =1.79V
1 off, 2 on, 3 off, 4 on =1.84V

Btw. I have now removed the side of my A1, opened the window, put in an extra Zalman fan (man do this thing know how to move air or what!?!!) which blows (together with the other fan I had) at my P4 cooler and slightly besides it at the memory and Articia.

I have an uptime of 4 days and 15 hours. Let's see if I can kill that uptime now, because I'm playing music (as allways) but I've also started VNC which is now running on my brothers PC causing a variable datastream at 100-2000kB/s due to me surfing and writing and AmigaAmp showing its gfx. I'm confident it will die within one or two hours. I've also stopped DNetC to cool the CPU even further.

Deniil715 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 16:14:55
#154 ]
Elite Member

And there it went!
It took about 3-4 hours, which is about average, but eventually it locked up. Heat is completely out of the question. This has nothing to do with heat.

FuZion 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 18:29:14
#155 ]

@Deniil715

I'm inclined to agree with you Deniil. I've left this thing on overnight with AmigAIM on so peeps can leave me messages, uploading large files to a server, encoding MP3's using your MpegGUI program & only when I'm running audio that has something to do with networking (Either an audio stream online, playing local files & surfing with a browser or streaming audio & networking with RDesktop).

I'm still gonna test out stripping WBStartup & user-startup just in case but I really do believe this is software based. Now if Oonly I could suss out a pattern & present this to the people that NEED to know

FuZion.

amipal 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 18:35:23
#156 ]

@Steff

I've just received a swiftech MCX159-A "Extreme Duty Chipset cooler" from http://www.Overclock.co.uk.:

Hopefully THIS should sort the situation out!
I've previously changed my VCore, but can't remember what I set it to in all honesty. I'll have a look at the Freescale website and my CPU before fitting this behemoth.

Deniil715 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 20:10:39
#157 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

I'm going to try another approach proposed by wardyone: Completely disconnect the a1ide.device. Disable it in U-Boot and removing a1ide.device from the Kicklayout. Let's see if that works...

ikir 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 20:15:37
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Don't exclude articia over heating anyway. i don't know. Let we know the result exluding a1ide.device.

Last edited by ikir on 21-Jun-2005 at 08:18 PM.

FuZion 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 21:23:57
#159 ]

@FuZion

I've just had the crash with my user-startup renamed (So it doesn't get run) & WBStartup renamed, same reason.

The only things I had going were TuneNet streaming audio & I started MUI so I could read posts on AW.

Other than the streaming there was no other networking going on, in IBrowse I was just reading a post when it happened. Not even scrolling.

To summarise, I've had the crash when:

- Playing local (From my PC's HD) audio from my PC & listening to the audio through RDesktop

- Playing local (From my A1's HD) audio & surfing on my PC using FireFox through RDesktop; using AmigaAMP, Amplidier & TuneNet

- Playing local audio (A1) & surfing with IBrowse (No RDesktop running), playing audio from either; AmigaAMP, Amplifier or TuneNet

- Streaming audio with AmigaAMP, Amplifier or TuneNet & surfing on my A1 with IBrowse

- Streaming audio as above with TuneNet, IBrowse running but not downloading with my WBStartup & user-startup disabled (i.e. Nothing other than the standard Startup-Sequence, PowerIcons, MUI, TuneNet & Networking running)

Although I am NOT the most experienced one here I am pretty confident that heat is not causing me the problem because the lock up has not occured whilst playing local audio files & network activity pretty much idle (Connected but no apps running). I assume that heat would cause me lots more online & offline problems.

@Deniil

Let me know how your test goes. My next test is (I've done before but I'll do it again for Update 3 anyway). Playing local audio. I'll be connected to the net but not doing networking activity (i.e. This will ruin over night while I sleep).

FuZion.

Bean 
Posted on 21-Jun-2005 21:57:09
#160 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:
I'm going to try another approach proposed by wardyone: Completely disconnect the a1ide.device. Disable it in U-Boot and removing a1ide.device from the Kicklayout. Let's see if that works...

Good point. I forgot to mention this is how I have my A1 also.

Disabled in UBoot (you can use UBoot prefs), and commented out the a1ide.device in the kicklayout file also. (For UBoot untick the "Use IRQ's" for the VIA686 and also select the active bus to disabled). Remember you'll need a SIL card.

Cheers,
Bean.

(Writing while streaming audio, FTP'ing a RedHat ISO (497Meg of 667 so far - native ftp command), writing this and copying MP3s to and from an MMC card)

EDIT = Now on second ISO.

Last edited by Bean on 21-Jun-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle