Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  Musashi5150

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 Musashi5150:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  32 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 tonybenjamin:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 gladhyundai:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 lisaezabeth:  4 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Please just stop!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ferry 
Re: Please just stop!
Posted on 6-May-2005 13:45:17
#61 ]
Cult Member

@Mr_Capehill

/Humorous irony mode ON

Looking at your avatar, I find a resemblance between "Lord of the Rings" and all these silly "Peg vs. Amiga", "OS4 vs. MOS", etc. wars:

Gandalf ("the good") says the Balrog ("the evil") "You cannot pass!", the Balrog will drag Gandalf down, "The Community of the Boing!" will be losing members and disgregating while things are coming along, and finally, even if one of the sides wins, only very few members will remain, the other will leave Middle Earth looking for greener and more peaceful pastures... And some people are still fighting trying to find who is Gandalf and who is the Balrog... bah... At least we all know BBRV is Sauron

/Humorous irony mode OFF

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200

Profile     Report this post  
nicholas 
Posted on 6-May-2005 13:49:06
#62 ]

@Wiffy

Quote:
I do not agree that the same meaning of 'approach' is an appropriate synonym of 'tact' either.

It is where I live.

Colloquial English in all it's variants is different than the Queens English.

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 6-May-2005 13:50:37
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

I really don't understand what the fuss is all about.

This part here: "Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others".

ie. Acill has decided to go down the route of proper discourse with the people involved. As far as I know, the only attempt that Genesi had made was the donation of a board to Hyperion via a rather unprofessional and almost (if not) condescending manner via web forums (IIRC). I don't know what that resulted in (obviously no port has transpired).

As for other companies, I wouldn't have a clue. I don't have access to such information, nor do I engage in such rumour mongering if that's what you're implying when you state this:
Quote:
2/ If you meant tactic, how do you know the tactic is any different from previous attempts?

I simply don't know of other attempts. I don't know how the ACK situation is going, nor of the Shark, nor of the BPPC nor of the CBPPC or of any other hardware. Unfortunately, such info is given out only to a select few.

As you can see, Acill's approach (tact, tack or any other FAQ) is to me showing an Quote:
"Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others"

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 6-May-2005 13:52:08
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:

Main Entry: tact
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: finesse, thoughtfulness
Synonyms: acumen, acuteness, address, adroitness, amenity, aptness, care, common sense, consideration, control, courtesy, delicacy, delicatesse, diplomacy, discernment, discretion, discrimination, gallantry, good taste, head, horse sense, intelligence, judgment, penetration, perception, perspicacity, poise, policy, politicness, presence, prudence, refinement, repose, savoir-faire, sensitivity, skill, smoothness, suavity, subtlety, tactfulness, understanding, urbanity

Take a pick, any pick

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 14:25:16
# ]

@samface & wiffy

You are both right. Getting an OS4 license for the Pegasos from Amiga Inc has been tried several times before, and it simply won't happen. That is a fact. Many more or less naive people here keeps posting things like "oh, but it would simply be a matter of getting a license and paying what it costs", but nothing could be more far from the truth. Amiga Inc is simply not interested in having OS4 running on the Pegasos, no matter who the licensee is. And again - that is a fact!

@Acill

Getting Hyperion's approval, raising money, getting technical documentation etc would be *the easy* part. But nothing will happen without Amiga Inc's approval, so you should start in *that* end. Try contacting Amiga Inc. If you would get as far as actually being able to discuss any terms and conditions for a license *at even a hypothetical level*, you would have come *a lot* further than the others who have tried the same thing before you (which I would think would be quite incredible (no offense )). However, most likely you would get the same "thank you for your interest in our Amiga technology, but sorry, we are not interested in doing this" kind of answer, before even getting close to such discussions.

Someone of the Friedens mentioned an "undisclosed" hardware in another thread that they supposedly have OS4 running on already. Since they at least have disclosed *the existence* of another hardware entity (be it unknown to the public still), one must presume that it has all licensing issues ironed out already, and is ready to go in that sense. For OS4's sake, let's hope that this (whatever it is) will be something special, cheap enough, is backed by a strong/creative company/entrepreneurs with powers/competence/connections to really push it, and will become a real bestselling hit. That could be the only chance now, the only HW card left to play?

Last edited by takemehomegrandma on 06-May-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 15:18:57
# ]

@Theodosius

Quote:

Theodosius wrote:
@Wiffy

I really don't understand what the fuss is all about.

What fuss?

Quote:

This part here: "Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others".

ie. Acill has decided to go down the route of proper discourse with the people involved. As far as I know, the only attempt that Genesi had made was the donation of a board to Hyperion via a rather unprofessional and almost (if not) condescending manner via web forums (IIRC). I don't know what that resulted in (obviously no port has transpired).

I see, no I was not referring to that.

Quote:

As for other companies, I wouldn't have a clue. I don't have access to such information, nor do I engage in such rumour mongering if that's what you're implying when you state this:

I'm not implying anything of the sort.

Quote:

As you can see, Acill's approach (tact, tack or any other FAQ) is to me showing an
Quote:

"Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others"

Whatever you say divided by a common language barrier

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 15:20:28
# ]

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:

You are both right. Getting an OS4 license for the Pegasos from Amiga Inc has been tried several times before, and it simply won't happen. That is a fact. Many more or less naive people here keeps posting things like "oh, but it would simply be a matter of getting a license and paying what it costs", but nothing could be more far from the truth. Amiga Inc is simply not interested in having OS4 running on the Pegasos, no matter who the licensee is. And again - that is a fact!

Correct, and theres one more attempt which had the boot put into it from the other direction too. Neither party are really interested in any kind of technology crossover, despite what they say in public to date.

Report this post  
Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 6-May-2005 15:21:48
#68 ]

@Ferry

I just want to confirm that I don't like politics at all, and I don't want to give any messages via my avatars

I choose them only if they are funny or cool enough. Stay tuned

BB? What, I thought Bill Gates was the eye...didn't you hear about our quest to steal Windows source code and take them to Mount Doom?

MikeB 
Posted on 6-May-2005 15:34:07
#69 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
You are both right. Getting an OS4 license for the Pegasos from Amiga Inc has been tried several times before, and it simply won't happen.

Maybe, but that wasn't always the case. At one time Amiga Inc promoted the Pegasos board as a potential AmigaOS4 supported platform within an executive update. They also stated that since Thendic/Genesi's involvement there have been no serious attempts to start proper business communications with AI to get AmigaOS4 ported to the Pegasos hardware.

But IMO realisticly, AI will have to be extra careful ever doing business with anyone Thendic/Genesi related ever again. They already tried to do proper business with Thendic-France/BBRV with regard to an AmigaDE licence contract, which was mainly intended for Thendic's never materialized WinCE powered products and later when Thendic co-operated with bPlan with regard to the Pegasos, they used this contract to promote an AmigaOS4 port for the Pegasos (start/ pre-empt wrong outcome of a lawsuit).

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 15:41:29
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
AI will have to be extra careful ever doing business with anyone Thendic/Genesi related ever again.

Quite the opposite, really.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 15:48:17
# ]

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Correct, and theres one more attempt which had the boot put into it from the other direction too.

That may be so, I no nothing about that. However, the Pegasos does not come with any EULA or anything such. But discussing that is pointless. Nothing will happen without Amiga Inc's approval anyway, and they won't approve it, so any obstacles or "boots put into it", from *any* direction, at *any* lower level (beneath Amiga Inc's top management) won't matter anyway, since the ultimate show stopper will be Amiga Inc.

Report this post  
ssolie 
Posted on 6-May-2005 16:04:57
#72 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma
Quote:
Amiga Inc is simply not interested in having OS4 running on the Pegasos, no matter who the licensee is. And again - that is a fact!

Amiga Inc. is simply not interested because there has never been a viable business case. And again - that is a fact! [heh]

AmigaMac 
Posted on 6-May-2005 16:17:54
#73 ]

Remember when Sun threatened to stop supporting Solaris on x86 and the Solaris x86 community sent a group to Sun headquarters to discuss keeping Solaris current on x86 hardware (and of course it worked). Maybe a group of influential Amigans could be assembled to do the same. Go to both Genesi and Amiga Inc. to discuss OS4 on Pegasos and what is the best for Amiga market and community.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-May-2005 16:28:09
#74 ]
Elite Member

@hooligan

Quote:

Maybe in your opinion, but the AmigaDE license agreement between Thendic-France and Amiga Inc had nothing to do with Hyperion, Eyetech nor had any relationship with the AmigaOS4 project/Team. So BBRV's statement: "The Hyperion/Eyetech OS 4.0 Agreement will be declared "null and void and of no force or effect." was IMO unprofessional flamebait and really quite amazing for any kind of business managers.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-May-2005 16:36:19
#75 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Quote:
Amiga Inc. is simply not interested because there has never been a viable business case. And again - that is a fact! [heh]

IMO you hit the nail right on the head. The first step would be to compile a clear business proposal, explaining exactly how Amiga Inc will benefit from such a deal (most importantly, how such an adventure would make them money for the short, medium and/or long run!).

The next step would be to involve Hyperion with regard to polling their interests, resources and possible time frames.

Interesting 
Posted on 6-May-2005 16:44:38
#76 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@hooligan

Quote:
AI will have to be extra careful ever doing business with anyone Thendic/Genesi related ever again.

Quote:

Burn me once shame on you!

Burn me twice shame on me!

Ferry 
Posted on 6-May-2005 16:54:56
#77 ]
Cult Member

@Mr_Capehill

Oh, yes, you are right! Bill "Sauron" Gates III.

Perhaps both Bills are cousins or something, and it's a genetical characteristic they share.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 17:00:43
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
You are both right. Getting an OS4 license for the Pegasos from Amiga Inc has been tried several times before, and it simply won't happen.

Maybe, but that wasn't always the case. At one time Amiga Inc promoted the Pegasos board as a potential AmigaOS4 supported platform within an executive update.

That was back when MorphOS was "OS4", right? Oh, and BTW, back then the Pegasos was not only promoted as a potential AmigaOne - it was proclaimed *to be* one of the AmigaOne's. And how ever interesting that part of Amiga History is - it was a long time ago and lots of water has flowed under the bridges since then.

Quote:
They also stated that since Thendic/Genesi's involvement there have been no serious attempts to start proper business communications with AI to get AmigaOS4 ported to the Pegasos hardware.

They have stated so many things!

But maybe that was correct -- but only when it comes to Genesi/Thendic directly, not others!

Quote:
But IMO realisticly, AI will have to be extra careful ever doing business with anyone Thendic/Genesi related ever again.

No, it's obviously the other way around, but you will probably never agree with that!

Quote:
They already tried to do proper business with Thendic-France/BBRV with regard to an AmigaDE licence contract, which was mainly intended for Thendic's never materialized WinCE powered products and later when Thendic co-operated with bPlan with regard to the Pegasos, they used this contract to promote an AmigaOS4 port for the Pegasos (start/ pre-empt wrong outcome of a lawsuit).

Genesi have a proper lincense for the Amiga operating system that Amiga Inc tried to base their business upon back when "the Amiga is Dead, long live the Amiga", which also gives them the right to any and all of the Amiga trademarks for this product, the right to sublicense it to others, and **includes updates** of the OS. The validity of the license deal has been confirmed by a court of law (and Amiga Inc has since then failed to comply with the license (and this time also a court order) *a second* time). If you have an open mind and look at things from a "helicopter perspective", you could argue that the OS has evolved in an unexpected way from the point in time when the deal was signed between Amiga Inc and (now) Genesi, but it's a good thing the license also covers updates of the OS, right?

Of course, this would probably have to be "clarified" in a court of law. This could certainly be done (at least tried), and bbrv rather recently said on the bunny that they thought this would still be very possible to do, perhaps even more so since Amiga Inc's *second* breach of the deal.

But rest easy! I don't think they will bother (unless Hyperion asks them to(!)). While they certainly would welcome OS4 on the Pegasos, they don't really need it. OS4 is in greater need of the Pegasos, than the Pegasos is in need for OS4. For whatever business Genesi might engage in that will require an Amiga-like OS, they already have MorphOS.

And before you (or anyone else here) starts flaming me, this post, bbrv, Genesi, the contract, or the law suit itself, please take this under consideration: The bonds and ties between Amiga Inc, Hyperion and Eyetech is becoming more and more obvious, and many people (as you have seen posted on this very site, as well as the many off-site rumours) are now beginning to get the opinion that the way the "AmigaOne partnership threesome" was set up is now really holding things back, and Amiga Inc is choking the whole platform. Why? I don't know, perhaps because of incompetence, perhaps they are trying to get as much IP and other assets *back in-house* to push up the value and attractiveness of their corporate entity? I don't know. The future may be dim, to some more than others perhaps (depending on your behind-the-scenes knowledge), but *it might turn out to be* that asking Genesi to push this "clarification" of their proven valid deal in court, may become the only future way for Hyperion to capitalize on their OS investment in a serious way?

Some of you may think I am babbeling now, and maybe I am (), but wouldn't it be cool to at least keep this as an option? Burning bridges behind you may not be too good at all times, but burning bridges *ahead* of you would be plain stupid, so please keep the flames away!

Report this post  
cecilia 
Posted on 6-May-2005 17:05:30
#79 ]
Cult Member

@Ferry

Quote:

Ferry wrote:
@Mr_Capehill

Oh, yes, you are right! Bill "Sauron" Gates III.

Perhaps both Bills are cousins or something, and it's a genetical characteristic they share.
BBRV is Gollum/Smeagol

(They even talk to themselves! And they are always trying to steal things that look beautiful and shiny)

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
Burn me once shame on you!

Burn me twice shame on me!

exactly right!!!

I wouldn't trust BBRV to make jello!

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-May-2005 17:05:57
# ]

@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@takemehomegrandma
Quote:
Amiga Inc is simply not interested in having OS4 running on the Pegasos, no matter who the licensee is. And again - that is a fact!

(I am sad to say): Wrong!

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle