Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  38 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 michalsc:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Ratta:  4 hrs 43 mins ago
 Dragster:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  I've decided to stop my project
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Coder 
Re: I've decided to stop my project
Posted on 23-May-2005 9:46:46
#81 ]
Team Member

@hooligan

You know what I mean. Anyday it's Amiga Inc. that's being the party pooper. Amiga Inc. surely got his request. That they don't want to reply is up to them.

Quote:
BTW, if you think your momma could help Acill to get in touch with AInc., by all means ask her to help!

Coder

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 23-May-2005 10:24:59
# ]

Quote:

Kronos wrote:

I think even the hardest BAF would be know have to admit that a Mac or x86 port wouldn't put fear into MS or Apple for several years to come, and there is hardly anything they could do if Amiga acts just a bit smarter than Be did.

Hi Kronos,

"the hardest BAF", well, that would be me (among others).

Let's see, if you're (and the rest of your crew) not flaming or courting u.s. (court, as in law), now you want to sell us your HW. I looked on your website, saw that the 2.5 wasn't for public consumption, and the III was an unknown, I quickly lost interest.

Even I have finally backed off the AOS on Apple/x86 as unfeasible.

It's quite amazing how concerned you lot are about all things Amiga, even though you have a razzle dazzle OS and HW, long ago.

I think that the major problem is that, for a license to be granted, a fee would have to be paid for EVERY SINGLE piece of HW that WAS ALREADY SOLD, and any amount that are sold in the future.

This would include people buying Pegs for exclusive linux use, too (it doesn't matter that they aren't interested in AOS).

There is NO WAY I would trust ANY NUMBER your leader would give for HW units sold thus far.

Can you afford that AND the license AND the cost for a port?
That's got to be at least 1,500 * $100 + $100,000 + $50,000 = $300,000.

He's NOT going to get that stupid $4.50 sweetheart deal he penned last time. (I CAN'T believe they signed that!)

You guys make me laugh!

Report this post  
Leo 
Posted on 23-May-2005 12:30:21
#83 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
You know what I mean. Anyday it's Amiga Inc. that's being the party pooper. Amiga Inc. surely got his request. That they don't want to reply is up to them.

Again: if I was Hyperion and was developing OS4, that would worry me...

How many opportunities like this are they getting ?

Leo.

Zardoz 
Posted on 23-May-2005 16:50:32
#84 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Will you stop pretending that you're clueless? It was stated *a million times* that only machines sold with OS4 need a licence. Oh, and we're interested about all things Amiga for the simple reasons that we *ARE* Amigans, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by AMiGR on 23-May-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Last edited by AMiGR on 23-May-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-May-2005 16:54:24
# ]

This is a warning.

Site Netiquette:

We share one common ground, we are all Amiga users! Respect other opinions, even though you may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner. Off-topic posts will be moved to the proper forum, and further action may be taken against repeat offenders.

It's easy to flame someone if you disagree, but remember, that type of behaviour is strictly prohibited. We come from different locations, we are a mix of ages, and our backgrounds vary. Take that into consideration before you click the post button. A moment of thought is better than hours of grief. The general rule of thumb is treat others as you would like to be treated.

Flame/Attacks:

Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Anyone who feels they may be overstepping the bounds here please edit their post to either make it more subtle what they feel or remove it altogether. If the thread goes downhill from here then it gets locked. The discussion is interesting, so I hope we dont need to do that - Wiffy.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 23-May-2005 17:19:07
#86 ]
Team Member

@Wiffy

Sorry Dave, edited out the part in question.

ssolie 
Posted on 23-May-2005 17:55:50
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Acill
Quote:
Exactly, I wouldnt have made public the contents, just what they said...

My point is I don't think you should have started negotiations by publically stating you are starting negotiations and then publically stating you are going to let the world know if/when you received any response. When no response is received, you publically notify everyone and the usual bunch jump on it as a sign Amiga Inc. is not serious.

I think that if you wanted to be taken seriously in the first place you should have privately drawn up your business plan, established private funding, found a partner with close ties to Amiga Inc. (e.g. a dealer or OS4 developer) and then approached Amiga Inc. Right now, your name is associated with a direct competitor and you like to post on every public forum out there. If I were Amiga Inc. I would never have replied because any reply would have been made public and it may hurt what there is left of a current market.

Amiga Inc. is a private company which has stated numerous times they will not release information to the public until products are shipping. They also stated they do not want to publically publish any information about their future plans. If indeed a person wanted to develop a product with their approval like porting OS4 to another piece of hardware I would have immediately assumed a private consultation would have been a good start.

So no, I don't really care if you were planning to post a response verbatim or not. That wasn't my point at all.

Zardoz 
Posted on 23-May-2005 18:07:08
#88 ]
Team Member

@ssolie

You don't have a point actually. He did sketch a business plan with a business lawyer and waved money in front of their faces. Also, he posted an email stating that Genesi will not (and does not want to) have anything to do with that. Direct competitor? Sorry ssolie, in which market? Genesi does not operate in the Amiga market anymore, they do not support MorphOS economically, they operate at the Linux and alternative OS markets, sitting on the big uncle, Freescale. If someone has a chance to do something in China, it's them, because of the very close ties with Freescale. Stop thinking that every business revolves around this tiny market we have, it will have to widen a lot to support even one.

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-May-2005 21:16:12
# ]

@AMiGR

Thanks

Report this post  
Interesting 
Posted on 23-May-2005 21:24:33
#90 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@AMiGR

Quote:
Also, he posted an email stating that Genesi will not (and does not want to) have anything to do with that. Direct competitor? Sorry ssolie, in which market? Genesi does not operate in the Amiga market anymore, they do not support MorphOS economically

sorry you just don't get it do you?

Look at Genesi's peg site:
peg page in question

it clearly states words about MorphOS. Further, "There are a number of Operating Systems being ported to the Pegasos. These include:" and clearly shows the Amiga logo etc.

So what agreement was made for Genesi to advertise that Amiga OS is being ported? Its another lie that continues to this day!

words can be twisted all they want to be, but business is business and games are for kids. :

Doobrey 
Posted on 23-May-2005 21:44:29
#91 ]

Quote:

Interesting wrote:
So what agreement was made for Genesi to advertise that Amiga OS is being ported? Its another lie that continues to this day!

Erm, remember the court case of Genesi/Thendic vs Amiga Inc ?
Although Genesi are being a tad naughty, as that page gives the impression of the Amiga OS being ported instead of Amiga Nowhere as is(was?) the case.

Zardoz 
Posted on 23-May-2005 22:44:56
#92 ]
Team Member

@Interesting

That is AmigaAnywhere, which according to the agreement Amiga Inc must port to the Pegasos, period. That's not a game, it's the truth. They are naughty because of the way that they use it, not because they use it. Furthermore, no words in PegasosPPC.com can change the fact that Genesi does not support MorphOS economically anymore, MorphOS is in the hand of the MorphOS team, www.morphos-team.net. That's a fact, whatever brainfart you post here is not a fact. Genesi owns some parts of it (the ones they paid for and Laire's parts, who is part of Genesi) but they basically "gave them away", they left them up to the MorphOS team.

MikeB 
Posted on 23-May-2005 22:48:25
#93 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

I think you made a good point. In my view it would have been better to not use the forums for business *negotiations* at all. I believe AHT Europe had a good approach with their behind the scenes negotiations, but then when the deal got canned (which more than often happens when doing business, due to various reasons) AI still got painted as being the "bad guys". IMO a simple "the deal is off" would have been better. I can imagine such situations does scare off professional business people like Garry Hare when dealing with (ex-)Amiga/Pegasos involved people and doesn't really solve anything, other than causing animosity. Would it help for AI to reply with "NO no no, we were angels, AHT are the bad guys!". Don't think so...

For instance, I usually always reply to my emails nomatter how much of a forum troll I am dealing with. By default anyone has the benefit of the doubt when dealing with me (it's just a hobby for me), but when certain individuals try to misrepresent and twist my replies on public forums I get increasingly wary of replying to such people.

To be honest I saw extremely little chance for Acill to successfully negotiate a deal with Amiga Inc. Acill doesn't look like a person who could sign a deal for offering a Pegasos2 support network. IMO to make a good chance, he should try to involve bPlan (or maybe an Amiga dealer like Vesalia or KDH Datentechnik) and maybe let someone like Gerald Carda do the talking for him instead.

MikeB 
Posted on 23-May-2005 22:50:12
#94 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
That is AmigaAnywhere, which according to the agreement Amiga Inc must port to the Pegasos, period.

Not anymore according to Amiga Inc.

nicholas 
Posted on 23-May-2005 22:52:39
#95 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@AMiGR

Quote:
That is AmigaAnywhere, which according to the agreement Amiga Inc must port to the Pegasos, period.

Not anymore according to Amiga Inc.

I guess Garry Hare knows more than a Court Judge in the honest to goodness American Judicial system eh?

-edit

Quite why Genesi would want AA on the Pegasos I'd never know. Christ, I wouldn't have it for free!

Last edited by nicholas on 23-May-2005 at 10:53 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 23-May-2005 23:05:54
#96 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:
I guess Garry Hare knows more than a Court Judge in the honest to goodness American Judicial system eh?

Believe me Garry Hare knows his stuff. Everyone I know who has dealt with him (including AHT Europe for instance) view him as a business professional.

The court ruled that the original AmigaDE/AA contract was still valid (and this did not include AmigaOS4 unlike Genesi's management tried to claim publicly). This means that the involved parties need to fulfill their obligations. According to AI, they did meet their obligations, but Genesi failed.

Garry Hare:

Quote:
We immediately attempted to comply with the Court. On numerous occasions we attempted to contact both Thendic and Mr. Buck through his legal representative. We received no reply. We invoked our rights under the agreement and sent 30 day notice to cancel. the 30 days expired wsithout reply. The agreement was cancelled in its entirety. Most of you that followed thios sopa opera realize that the litigation had little, if anything

nicholas 
Posted on 23-May-2005 23:18:28
#97 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:

Believe me Garry Hare knows his stuff. Everyone I know who has dealt with him (including AHT Europe for instance) view him as a business professional.

The court ruled that the original AmigaDE/AA contract was still valid (and this did not include AmigaOS4 unlike Genesi's management tried to claim publicly). This means that the involved parties need to fulfill their obligations. According to AI, they did meet their obligations, but Genesi failed.

Garry Hare:

Quote:
We immediately attempted to comply with the Court. On numerous occasions we attempted to contact both Thendic and Mr. Buck through his legal representative. We received no reply. We invoked our rights under the agreement and sent 30 day notice to cancel. the 30 days expired wsithout reply. The agreement was cancelled in its entirety. Most of you that followed thios sopa opera realize that the litigation had little, if anything

See my edit.

What would Genesi possibly gain by having AA ported to the Pegasos?

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 0:16:25
#98 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

A support network? Sorry, Mike, we saw how much Amiga Inc. checks the support network... It's purely political. The support network right now sucks, with Eyetech not talking and dealers having to receive all the flak for any problems that occur and the obvious lack of replacement components. In no market is that called a "support network", that's called "covering my ass behind innocent people" because if a user is *forced* to sue for example, they *cannot* do ANYTHING to Eyetech but will have to do that to the dealer.

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 0:19:34
#99 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

No matter what Garry says, the old company did not liquidate, did it? It did not declare bankruptcy. If it didn't, all contracts are still valid... AND debts...

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 0:26:50
# ]

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@Atheist

Will you stop pretending that you're clueless? It was stated *a million times* that only machines sold with OS4 need a licence.

Hi AMiGR,

I would argue that it's the whole line of a product that is capable to run AOS4.0, not just a unit that is being used to run it. So, if it works on II, AND on I (AND on 2.5), then a royalty on EVERY machine has to be paid. I am NOT being clueless, that is how I believe they want the contract to live.

In England, if you own a TV just for attaching a computer to, they still want that corrupt TV lincense fee (tax) paid yearly on it. Because, god forbid, you actually use it 1 hour a day to watch Coronation Street (or Bottom!). (I was under the impression that advertising pays for TV broadcasts?)

Here, try this, go to any computer shop and try to buy a widrossce PDA, and ask for a $35 discount because you won't be using ce, you'll immediately be putting on it and exclusively running linux. (If I try hard, I think I can come up with two or three more exmales to illustrate what I mean.)

Quote:
Oh, and we're interested about all things Amiga for the simple reasons that we *ARE* Amigans, whether you like it or not.

I hate the vitriol, and it's good that you are Amigans, we always need more (I hope we aren't accused of being vampires/soul stealers ), so buy a (micro)AmigaOne when it gets cheaper.

Quote:
@Wiffy

Sorry Dave, edited out the part in question..

Missed the edited bit by about half an hour. Was it at least witty?

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle