Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  12 mins ago
 kriz:  12 mins ago
 retrofaza:  48 mins ago
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 K-L:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 -Sam-:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Internet connection under OS4 - almost there!!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
scabit 
Re: Internet connection under OS4 - still not working
Posted on 5-Jan-2009 16:20:36
#81 ]

@tboeckel

Quote:
The TermArray is to enable the EOF mode. The EOF mode makes it possible to terminate a read request even if less than the requested number of bytes was received. For example an application requests to read 1000 bytes but knows that each packet it may receive is terminated by a special character (i.e. 0x7e). Thus it can set an array of up to 8 characters which indicate a possible end of a packet (hence EOP would be a better name than EOF). The serial device will then return a complete packet as soon as it has spotted the final character even if not the requested 1000 bytes have been received. Effectively this largely speeds up the receive process, even if every single received byte has to be examined if it matches one of the bytes in the TermArray.

Thank you for your excellent explanation!

Do you think this would result in Roadshow sending a hangup if it receives the wrong number of bytes in response to its transmission (what it looks like may be happening through the logs I've captured). Is there any way to change the TermArray values in Roadshow to set them to 7e 7e 7e 7e 7e 7e 7e 7e as Miami seems to be doing?

From the error messge I get from Roadshow, "Transmission Failure...", could it be that somehow Miami is setting up the modem to handle sending at a lower baudrate that works, while Roadshow is still sending things too fast due to the &F control being sent. It seems strange, I know, since both Miami and Roadshow send the same modem init string, and please note my modem does not recognize &F2 as a valid modem command!!!
Hmmm..... food for thought....

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 05-Jan-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
jabirulo 
Posted on 5-Jan-2009 16:45:48
#82 ]

@scabit

Did you try to plug the modem on A1's second serial port?? (unit 1, and configure the connection script to use unit 1), 'cos unit 0 is used for debugging text, so maybe it mixes/garbles your connection.

I had some "issues" with a1serial.device V52.4, tried with and old one and no problems. Try with a1serial.device V51.11 (or below).

I don't have C:AddNetInterface... activated on my startup-sequence. And when i wanted to use internet an such just double click on my internet connection (SYS:Internet/Connections/my_connection)

BYE

scabit 
Posted on 5-Jan-2009 17:01:18
#83 ]

@Xenic wrote

Quote:
I'm using a dialup connection on a µA1 with a Supra Modem via RoadShow. I could capture serial transaction and compare it to yours. What was your procedure for using SERLOG16 to capture the RoadShow attempt you posted? I want to be sure I'm using the same procedure so I get output we can compare.

Thanks, that would be awesome. Okay, put the serlog.device in devs:, put slprefs and fmtlog in C:. Reboot the Amiga (not sure if this is necessary). Change your Roadshow config to use serlog.device instead of a1serial.device. Don't start roadshow yet! Be sure you have a sys:t directory (that's where serlog puts its logs by default). Open a CLI and type slprefs DEVICE=a1serial.device UNIT=0 BUFFERSIZE=8192. You should get a listing of all the serlog prefs.
Now, start Roadshow...it should connect like usual. Log off Roadshow, look in T: and you will have a file named serlog.log. From the CLI, cd to sys:t and type fmtlog CDUMP RAM:XenicRoadshow_log.txt and you will have an ascii file in RAM: that shows the roadshow transactions. Be sure to edit it to remove your password before you post it in the forums! Go back and change your roadshow config to use a1serial.device when you are done.

Thanks!

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 5-Jan-2009 17:06:56
#84 ]

@jabirulo

Quote:
Did you try to plug the modem on A1's second serial port?? (unit 1, and configure the connection script to use unit 1), 'cos unit 0 is used for debugging text, so maybe it mixes/garbles your connection.

The uA1 only has one serial port. I did use sashimi to redirect all debug output to a file instead of the serial port....and that didn't make any difference.

Quote:
I had some "issues" with a1serial.device V52.4, tried with and old one and no problems. Try with a1serial.device V51.11 (or below).

Which update of Os4 had version 51.11? I am only finding 52.4 on my backups....how far back do i need to go?

Quote:
I don't have C:AddNetInterface... activated on my startup-sequence. And when i wanted to use internet an such just double click on my internet connection (SYS:Internet/Connections/my_connection)

You are correct....no need to uncomment the C:Addnetinterfaces line in startup-sequence.

Thanks for the ideas....any others are appreciated!

Scott

wisementrading.com 
Posted on 5-Jan-2009 17:46:42
#85 ]

@scabit

I think it is from os4 pre 4. I am sending you a pm with my email. If you drop me a note I will send you version 51.11 !

I had many tell me to get a new modem because my USR would not work with RS on OS4. It turned out that it worked fine on port 1 but not port 0. I know you only have one serial port so can't try a different one. I can tell you that my user name also had a @ in it and this should not be the problem. Who is your internet provider?

It is good to see that there is an AmigaOne user in Lawrenceburg TN!!

Xenic 
Posted on 6-Jan-2009 2:26:46
#86 ]

@scabit
Sorry to disappoint you but SerLog.device crashes with OS 4.1. I even tried disabling JIT but that didn't help. It seems to me like some of the OS4 prereleases were more 68k compatable than OS 4.1 (maybe even OS 4.0). I'll see of I can find an OS4 pre3 or pre4 CD and try again tommorrow. I really wanted to see the log because I had to revert to a1serial.device v51.11 too. I'd like to see why the newer serial devices are failing when I send large files over the Internet.

scabit 
Posted on 6-Jan-2009 19:25:41
#87 ]

@Xenic

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you but SerLog.device crashes with OS 4.1.

Interesting! I'm using it just fine with OS4.1. Wonder what the difference is in our systems? Be sure you comment out the line in your startup-sequence for addnetinterfaces, since that might somehow cause you to open an a1serial.device before you run the serlog preferences program.

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 6-Jan-2009 23:11:59
#88 ]

@wisementrading.com

a1serial.device 51.11 doesn't make any difference for me. Thanks though!
Also, I tried your modem init string init="AT&F1&H1&I0&R2&C1&D0\r" and the commands &I0, &R2 and &H1 are not recognized by my modem, which is a Diamond Supra Express 56e PRO. The manla that came with it is just a 3 page useless manual, and the Diamond web page has no info on his legacy modem at all. Does anyone know where I can find a manula or info for this modem regarding it's AT command set?

Thanks,

Scott

number6 
Posted on 6-Jan-2009 23:19:20
#89 ]
Elite Member

@scabit and xenic

I know I've brought this up before, but I wish one of you could find a 2nd hand modem that matches one of the 2 I have used that have both worked fine.
This way maybe we could once and for all take the modem itself out of the trouble shooting equation.

Best Data Smart One 33.6 Plug&play
SupraFaxModem 14,000/28,800

I've never experienced any problems and never needed to substitute older OS files, as others have discussed here.

scabit 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 3:39:09
#90 ]

@number6

Quote:
I know I've brought this up before, but I wish one of you could find a 2nd hand modem that matches one of the 2 I have used that have both worked fine.

Wouldn't the fact that this same modem works fine on this same computer with Miami point to a software problem somewhere...whether it be init string, setup or whatever....if the identical hardware works with one set of software (via 68k emulated s/w) and not another, the problem cannot be hardware. It could be how the hardware is initialized, but it cannot be hardware itself.
However, to try to narrow this issue down, I am going to see if I can wire up a DB-9 to DB-25 converter (I don't have any on hand), I have two 28.8 SupraExpress modems but they both have DB-25 female connectors, while my A1 is wired with a DB-9.
I'll let you know what I find!

Thanks for your continuing support on this issue. We'll get it fixed somehow!

Scott

number6 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 3:43:20
#91 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

ah..yes, but I forgot to add:
I could then send all the same software settings I use with said modem.
So we could tackle it on both the hardware and software front.

Xenic 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 15:33:31
#92 ]

@scabit
I reviewed this topic when it popped up again and got the impression that you were using an OS4 prerelease. However, I just looked at the dates of the posts and realized that you have probably updated since those early dates

I'll give SerLog16 another try. Maybe I did something wrong.

Since serial port modems are getting harder to obtain, I picked up a backup modem on sale (cheap) at a local store about 6 months ago. It took me a while to get a working INIT string but I got it working almost as well as my Supra. The only difference now is that the "Zoom" modem always connects at 28.8, while my Supra frequently connects at 31.2 (on a sunny day with no wind). Here are the INIT strings that work with my Zoom:

AT&FMW2\r
AT&FE0M+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1;W1\r

The longer INIT was one I came up with when experimenting to get the volume turned down and probably contains a lot of unnecessary settings. However, the INIT string you are using in Miami should work with RoadShow too.

scabit 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 20:33:59
#93 ]

@Xenic

Thanks for these init strings...I will try them shortly. I am reasonably certain that the modem init tring is the problem, as someone pointed out to me long ago....this SupraExpress 56e PRO has a very strange command set...I found the original CD that came with it and the PDF docs for the AT commands. Wow. Not like anything I've ever seen before!

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 20:38:38
#94 ]

@number6

Thanks! Good news....I have wired up a DB-25 to DB-9 cable and connected via Roadshow on my SupraExpress 288 PnP modem....it took several tries using different init strings....but finally AT&F2&C1&D0&K3\r worked for me. As I mentioned to Xenic, the SupraExpress 56e PRO uses a very strange command set. I found the PDF docs on the CD that came with the modem.
So now I am able to finally use OWB and Netsurf, although at only 28,800 baud.

Next step....figure out what init string to use to get my SupraExpress 56e modem working....28,800 is painfully slow!

Thanks all for your patience and help! Post those init string suggestions please!

Scott

number6 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 21:23:40
#95 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Thanks all for your patience and help! Post those init string suggestions please!

For the modem I listed above that I am currently using:

SupraFaxModem 14,000/28,800
init="AT&F2&D3&K3\r"

scabit 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 21:34:58
#96 ]

@Xenic

Quote:
AT&FMW2\rAT&FE0M+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1;W1\r

I tried these init strings. The first one just locked up my modem, although it seemed to be accepted. The second one got me further, to the point of seeing the "login" prompt, and then it failed just as it did previously with "Transmission failure...too many retries."

Any other ideas? These modem init strings seem to be part of the command set that my modem recognizes.

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 7-Jan-2009 21:38:18
#97 ]

@number6

Quote:
init="AT&F2&D3&K3\r"

My modem doesn't recognize the &F2 command. Only &F. Using the rest with just changing &F2 to &F doesn't work.

Thanks,

Scott

Xenic 
Posted on 8-Jan-2009 16:39:38
#98 ]

@scabit
I'm using a SupraExpress 56k modem and it rarely connects at speeds higher than 28,800 anyway. When it does it's only 31.200. The only time I got higher connection rates was when I used the modem in a small town where the phone interchange and the ISP were less than 3 miles away. Unless you have really good phone lines where you live, 28,800 may be what you can expect for a dialup connection. Do you get higher connection speeds with Miami and your 56e modem?

I tried everything I could think of to get Serlog working but it always crashes on my system. Strange how variations in OS 4.1 installations can determine if software works or not. Sorry I couldn't help with that. Have you compared the Serlog output from you 28,800 modem to that of your 56e modem? My only suggestion for INIT strings is to see what strings are used if you connect the modem to a PC or Linux system.

cope 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 14:42:34
#99 ]
Cult Member

I saw some activity about the dialup and Roadshow and thought I should ask again about my troubles with RoadShow.
I am using A1serial.device 51.11 that cleared up my file size uploading problem but I still have problems disengaging the dialer and restablishing contact. I must reboot to redial.
I have changed my soundcard and am using the Fun.
System is A1XE G4 USB mouse

Thanks,
John Paul

cope 
Posted on 29-Apr-2009 17:12:02
#100 ]
Cult Member

A bump and to clarify.
I can not reconnect using RoadShow on dialup without rebooting machine.
Thanks,
JP

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle