Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  18 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Gebrochen:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 sibbi:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 amigakit:  8 hrs 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  8 hrs 25 mins ago
 saimo:  8 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] (2º attempt) do you want x86 or PPC? please vote all the 4026 members
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Poll : do you want AmigaOS on?
X86 only
PPC only
PPC and X86
Another obscure CPU
i don´t care about the cpu

PosterThread
drHirudo 
Re: [Poll] (2º attempt) do you want x86 or PPC? please vote all the 4026 members
Posted on 14-Jan-2006 23:52:43
#21 ]

@wegster

Ok, sorry. I didn't want to go offtopic. Not my fault though.

Profile     Report this post  
AmigaClyde 
Re: [Poll] (2º attempt) do you want x86 or PPC? please vote all the 4026 members
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:00:33
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

I opted for PPC only. It's the logical architecture for OS4.

µA1-C 750GX@800 using OS4.1

Troels 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:07:24
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

I voted that i dont care about the CPU.

As long as availability and price vs performance is acceptable I don't care.

Anonymous 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:14:05
# ]

Quote:

wegster wrote:

I don't think many will argue with this or flame you at all. Some of us have AmigaOnes and are running OS4 now, but that doesn't mean we can't see the need for others to be able to buy it, or the appeal of 'run it on what you've got.'

Hi wegster,

That's the whole problem, it won't run on what you've got, it would only work on a custom x86 motherboard, because of the issues of all those different chipsets on all those free for all board designs out there.

(I mean, we can barely get printers to work with AOS4.0, and they've been making those for 27 years now!)

There aren't that many types of Macs, and they even rejected that idea.

Due to endianess, and the need for a 68K emulator, I voted for PPC.

I HATE the fact that there's code bloat because of it, but then, the smaller x86 instructions need to decode in the CPU, right? and that just increases the complexity. I was hoping computers would gt LESS complex.

Everybody's got cents, but we've already gambled all of them....

Report this post  
goody 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:26:45
#25 ]

@Fransexy

I do not care about the CPU. I want OS4. The people giving us OS4 did not think it could be done any other way at this time. So we have PPC. In the future I expect we may see other CPU's. Which is fine by me. I am happy to have new hardware of any kind with an updated Amiga OS.

(Rant mode on)
It would have been nice if more people would have shown support for what is possible rather than sit on their hands until now.

I am still waiting for those pancakes.

tonyw 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:34:11
#26 ]
Elite Member

@goody

Sorry, they've gone mouldy.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Tomas 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:34:42
#27 ]
Elite Member

I would want it for x86, but only because of lack of ppc hardware and the fact that anything that might get avaliable is both outdated and SEVERELY overpriced. I cant buy an AmigaONE even if they produce them again, which is because i cannot simply afford it.

If modern PPC hardware was avaliable and reasonable priced, then i would definitely be for PPC over X86.

Last edited by Tomas on 15-Jan-2006 at 12:35 AM.

Nuder_Try 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:38:32
#28 ]
Cult Member

I'd like to see (if possible) both PPC and x86 version, if they can both run the same code. That way each person can shoose their CPU.

Mr-Z 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 0:51:21
#29 ]

i choose x86 and ppc, altough the ppc cpu has my favour but the benefits of going x86 also i think are huge.

The ppc is in theory the better processor but due to lack of devlopment it got behind on the x86 cpu's.
Maybe with cell cpu's this could be different but then again x86 hardware is cheap&easy to get.

SvenHarvey 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 1:05:17
#30 ]
Cult Member

I don't know any more...

PPC should be the better processor and PA Semi may sort that a bit...

but the x86s are always going to be cheaper...

So I really dont know which way to go... and supporting both may well be wasteful...

Hell.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 1:23:40
#31 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
That's the whole problem, it won't run on what you've got, it would only work on a custom x86 motherboard, because of the issues of all those different chipsets on all those free for all board designs out there.

It would probably run okay-ish on what they've got. There are generic ways of accessing the hardware via BIOS routines or standardised interfaces (like EHCI, etc) - what's why old version of Windows can boot on chipsets that didn't even exist when the OS was written. Functionality and speed would suffer, but the OS could boot.

And drivers are not the huge problem some people imagine. There are not all that many chipsets out there when you consider that one driver can often work with a whole family of designs with little extra effort. An x86 version of AmigaOS would, I suspect, get something like 85% chipset compatibility with only 3 drivers.

kriz 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 1:27:35
#32 ]

@Atheist
hehe try Aros and it will most likely work on your machine man... And this is a free OS, done in spare time .. Surely AOS/MOS could have done the same :)

The problem is the hardware man, its not even availible (and the way silly price), we need many new users and MUCH new software (not just a os..)

poweramiga2002 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 2:03:00
#33 ]

@Fransexy

im PPC all the way here and b4 anyone pipes up about crap and bagging me for being narrow minded as some ppl always seem to do here

ITS MY CHOICE AS TO WHAT CPU I PREFERE NOT ANYONE ELSES !!!!!

sundown 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 4:18:29
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I voted 'don't care'.

Why is it that everyone seems to think os4 is being done only for the desktop market? The embedded market makes more sense to me & has the potential to make real money. The desktop is only a software development tool, not the main focus & it would be a total waste to do an x86 port it thats the case.

Seehund 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 6:00:27
#35 ]

@poll

I voted Both.

I can see how some people could rationalise voting "only PPC", but "only x86" doesn't make any sense to me. What, should Hyperion send out thugs to yank people's AmigaOS and "AmigaOnes" from their hands? OS4-DPR already runs on PPC, it's not possible to "not run" on PPC. Despite my pessimism, I do think a "final" AOS4 release for some PPC hardware will happen, even if the release would be pointless and the hardware sucky. :) The PPC option in some form is a given.

"I don't care"? Hm. Abandoning PPC and x86 for only a 6502 release would suck. :)

Flystone 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 8:27:45
#36 ]

@Fransexy

only PPC "family"!

Plexus 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 8:53:13
#37 ]

@Fransexy

Only PPC HardWares, PLZ!

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 9:08:30
#38 ]

The inevitability of a Cell Chip port will renew your faith in the PPC.
If it wasn't for that, I'd say a move to x86 was called for.

I just want an Amiga to be an Amiga again. I want the whole Amiga package with a case not just a mobo. It'll be sucky hardware, but it's a start.

While I would purchase the OS for PC if it comes to that, I think it loses something, unless it's a part of a proprietry packaged system, like even x86 Macs are.

The Amiga needs to keep it's identity as a hardware system, not just software.
Otherwise it isn't an Amiga, it's just an OS, and yes while that's all we've got right now, one can only hope that the hardware will improve when there's enough money from this first generation of sucky PPC hardware. These first PPC systems keep us in the game until we can make a leap.

Personally, I'd like to see a pumped up system with multiple cell chips. I like that the cell chip would make the next gen Amiga system different to everything else out there. Unless Apple strikes first and hedges it's x86 bets.

Ok. Going back to my happy place now.
The weiners are done but we have no buns!!! All I want is a hotdog to be a hotdog.

BobC. 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 9:25:33
#39 ]
Cult Member

I voted for both because it already runs on PPC HWD.

But having it on x86 HDW seems like a no brainer to me.
Fast, inexpensive HDW that's available now! Wadda concept!
I'd buy it in a sec. if it were available for x86

Arnie 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 9:36:41
#40 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy

Providing that it is AmigaOS and gets some decent software written for it I don't really care what processor it's running on, so either will do for me.

Last edited by Arnie on 15-Jan-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle