Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  12 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  32 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  43 mins ago
 kriz:  48 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 Frank:  3 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AOS4 Hardware
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
prmetime 
AOS4 Hardware
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 13:56:49
#1 ]

Perhaps you can all help me out. I know that Hyperion is working on Amiga OS4. I know that you can run this on previous PPC cards in clasic Amigas as well as a couple of boards manufatured later that are stand alone computers. Now if I understand this properly, even Eyetech has decided it was too expensive developing the micro amiga and they are no longer producing the boards. Since AOS4.0 requires proprietary ROMs, who is producing (or going to produce) new hardware for this OS?

I have been an Amiga fan since at least 1993 but I don't see a future for this OS if it is tied to proprietary hardware. I'm not not even aware of any hardware currently being produced so if you can clarify the situation for me, I would appreciate it.

Profile     Report this post  
elwood 
Re: AOS4 Hardware
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:03:45
#2 ]
Elite Member

@prmetime

back

OS4 for Classic is not yet available.
The AmigaOne (and µA1) don't have a proprietary ROM like on the Classic.
These are still being produced.
Just that they are out-of-stock for now but they are announced. No availability date has been given though.

Amiga Translator Organisation

madtrekker 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:05:29
#3 ]

@prmetime

I expect someone else will post with full details but there are at least two companies working on new PPC boards which will be compatible. Details are thin on the ground at the moment, but it seems like further news can't be too far away.

Hyperion would be pretty stupid to develop an OS which has no hardware to run on, so you can rest assured that whatever happens, there will be some sort of hardware available when OS4 is launched.

AmiGame 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:09:16
#4 ]
Elite Member

@prmetime
Quote:
I know that you can run this on previous PPC cards in clasic Amigas

I don't believe you can just yet...

Quote:
Eyetech has decided it was too expensive developing the micro amiga

I wouldn't think this is the only reason...

Quote:
Since AOS4.0 requires proprietary ROMs, who is producing (or going to produce) new hardware for this OS?

Not really is my understanding...
Sound Cards / Graphic Cards / Network Cards are "Standard".
PPC CPU are IBM Cpus...

Quote:
who is producing (or going to produce) new hardware for this OS

Troika... AMY'05
ACK... PV

Jerry

- A1XE-G4 up and runing with:
512MB Ram / 200GB and 80GB HardDisks on Sii0680.
AOS4 Final Update / AmiZilla 0.1 Alpha

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:22:45
#5 ]
Elite Member

Hmmm.

It looks as though the Amiga is stirring interest from a few that used to own Amigas - a pity we are not in a position to capitalise on some of this new interest.

ikir 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:27:04
#6 ]
Elite Member

@prmetime

Hi welcome! New hardware is coming soon.

VooDoo 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:33:01
#7 ]

@ikir

yeah great...new "old" hw is here soon..

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich :)

Croatian Amiga portal

ikir 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:37:48
#8 ]
Elite Member

@VooDoo

Better than nothing. Anyway my A1 feel faster than my Winbox and Mac, thanks to AmigaOS4.

polka. 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 14:57:54
#9 ]

@ikir
Quote:
Anyway my A1 feel faster than my Winbox and Mac, thanks to AmigaOS4.

Yeah, and thanks to lots of missing features (e.g. memory protection, resource tracking, ...).

Have you seen the 1.44MB QNX demo-disk from 4 years ago? It feels even faster. Guess why?

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:03:27
#10 ]
Cult Member

@polka.

And you have a better browser too.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

polka. 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:08:13
#11 ]

@_ThEcRoW

Exactly. Comparing browsers, I'd rather like one which has CSS support and starts up in 2 seconds and is slightly "less responsive" than one without all this that starts up in 0.8 seconds but fails on every 5th website I through at it.

The_Editor 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:19:00
#12 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Your not wrong .. re: old users rekindling there interest.

At our recent 3Cag usergroup meeting we had two people turn up who had found our group googling for Amiga. They were quite pleased an Amiga Usergroup was in Peterborough.

Apparently four more "Diesel City Amigans" were meant to come as well, but dropped out at the last minute.

Bet they come next time !!

cHaOs667 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:22:09
#13 ]
Cult Member

@polka.

Quote:
Yeah, and thanks to lots of missing features (e.g. memory protection, resource tracking, ...)

Have you seen the 1.44MB QNX demo-disk from 4 years ago? It feels even faster. Guess why?.

Oh come on... you should already know that OS4 has resource tracking (or am i missing something?) but please not this discussion over and over again, you can leave the OS4 Community if you want.

Oh yeah, the "almighty" QNX Demo Disk which never runs on my PC *lol* but what i've seen at an friend of mine doesnt impressed me - Amithlon looks way more faster and compatible on x86 than QNX RTOS.
QNX never supportet my Graphics Card (at first an GeForce 2 GTS. than an Radeon 9800 Pro) and it don't support my SCSI Controller (with an Symbios 53C875 Chip...) - really great for an OS!!!

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:22:57
#14 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Grim can’t work whit out memory protection, AmigaOS4 pre developer, update 1, update 2, update 3, all support minimal memory protection, resource tracking is in the works, but won’t help old programs in any way, programs most be rewritten so they use proper API calls not just accessing data structures stored in shared memory, like it stands to day, and yes there are many API calls to day for setting pen colours etc. (not commonly used. )

This is all part of progress to get system stability,
(A system that is able to free and recover form bugs in applications.)

Seehund 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:27:24
#15 ]

@prmetime

Quote:

prmetime wrote:
Now if I understand this properly, even Eyetech has decided it was too expensive developing the micro amiga and they are no longer producing the boards.

Actually, the "Micro-A1" (Teron Mini) was not developed by Eyetech. Eyetech finally admitted what many thought was obvious all along: that there just wasn't enough demand to warrant further production. Also, production of the needed northbridge chip seems to have ceased. The company that designed the Terons and the northbridge doesn't seem to be all that alive today either, and Eyetech seemed to have been their last remaning customer.

Quote:
Since AOS4.0 requires proprietary ROMs, who is producing (or going to produce) new hardware for this OS?

AOS4+ does not technically require proprietary hardware, ROMs or firmware per se, nothing of AOS resides in any ROM. There's no more Amigas, only AmigaOS and 3rd party hardware. AOS4+ is however being made (or will be made, not sure if they've implemented this "feature" yet) to check for "proprietary extensions" in the firmware in order to make sure you bought your hardware through an Amiga Inc-licensed distributor.

Fortunately the hardware doesn't need to be "special", but that advantage has been rendered moot by this compulsory licensing/bundling scheme.

Of course nobody will produce any commercially viable or competitive hardware "for" AmigaOS. There have however been more or less vague announcements about two IMO pointless "community" projects called "PowerVixxen" and "Amy '05". You should find plenty about those with a search.

Quote:
I have been an Amiga fan since at least 1993 but I don't see a future for this OS if it is tied to proprietary hardware.

Agreed. And now that the Amiga is dead and the hardware at long last doesn't need to be
"special", we will still have to pretend that there's a need for a "special" hardware market... Back to square one. :P

Quote:
I'm not not even aware of any hardware currently being produced so if you can clarify the situation for me, I would appreciate it.

No AInc-licensed consumer PPC hardware is currently being produced. There's hardware alright, but AmigaOS is not allowed to be developed and sold for it.

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:27:59
#16 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

It all sounds quite promising and it is very encouraging to see that members of the team from long ago are willing to come back.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:35:40
#17 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:
Exactly. Comparing browsers, I'd rather like one which has CSS support and starts up in 2 seconds and is slightly "less responsive" than one without all this that starts up in 0.8 seconds but fails on every 5th website I through at it.

IB is in development, and so is AWeb give it time and they will support CSS.

IB is getting plug-in support, so it can display movies in side web page, and expand whit many other format like flash, I think Amiga web browser are heading in the right direction, jave support is being worked on to by some one else, the software problem is not the biggest problem. The hardware side is more of issue if ask me; half of the community like to have some thing whit 200-500 mhz at low price, the other party like some thing over 1 ghz.

cHaOs667 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:37:24
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Seehund

Quote:
No AInc-licensed consumer PPC hardware is currently being produced. There's hardware alright, but AmigaOS is not allowed to be developed and sold for it.

And thats the reason why Hyperion is working with different Hardware companies like Troika...

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

polka. 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:41:28
#19 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Yeah, I know the reason "Why" they did it.

I was rather explaining some reasons _why_ it feels very responsive and fast.
Some _simple_ reasons which are frequently overlooked in these discussions are that most apps have comparably small filesizes and that _many_ features are still missing.

If you want to put it in a positive way, yes, it's because OS4 isn't bloated. But as the OS get's developed further, this is just something natural to happen - although most developers are trying their best NOT to go that way.

I remember the talks of Linux-guys years ago about how extremely fast and responsive their OS is - just compile your own kernel! These guys became rather silent over time.
Linux is still extremely versatile, but as a desktop OS it honestly doesn't feel faster to me than a bloated XP.

As soon as new features are integrated, the question is always raised how to integrate them without reducing performance. Given the abundant fast x86-hardware, it is easier to make a compromise, unfortunately.

Seehund 
Posted on 1-Feb-2006 15:41:48
#20 ]

@ikir

Quote:

ikir wrote:
@VooDoo

Better than nothing.

For the individuals that would consider buying it, perhaps. But for AmigaOS I doubt that it actually is better than nothing!

And it still is nothing anyway, because the "band-aid for a bullet wound to the head" you're talking about is not yet for sale, no prototypes have been shown, and it's unclear if and when they will be for sale.

Quote:
Anyway my A1 feel faster than my Winbox and Mac, thanks to AmigaOS4.

Good for you. That's not selling more copies of AmigaOS and gaining users, developers and software though.
Now imagine how fast your Winbox or Mac would feel with AmigaOS...
(I presume that your Winbox and Mac are made after ca 1998, and thus are better and faster than an "AmigaOne", or your comparison would be kind of pointless. Well, OK, even more pointless.)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle