Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  28 mins ago
 kolla:  34 mins ago
 -Sam-:  37 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  43 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  52 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AOS4 Hardware
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jeffshepherd 
Re: AOS4 Hardware
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 20:43:46
#101 ]

@Coder

Quote:
OS4 is not going to be ported to x86 or Apple hardware. At least not any time soon.

Some people just don't want to listen do they.

Profile     Report this post  
jonssonj 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 20:55:55
#102 ]

@Thread

I have the recipe for a really new Amiga.

Buy the Motorola and Intel corporations
Buy the Nvidia corporation
Buy all the amiga rights
Buy the Electronic-Arts software corporation.

Make sure all your engineers invents a completely new cool, superfast computer that no-one has ever seen, and make sure that your software people have loads of software to the new computer. That's what I call a real Amiga = Top-Notch Technology.

Just my thoughts.....

//JJ

hatschi 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:02:18
#103 ]
Elite Member

@jonssonj

Ahhh, you opened my eyes! Thanks for the suggestions!

Finally I found something I can spend all my money on. Initially I was just planning to buy some A1-hardware, but since that isn't available, I guess I just buy the corporations you listed above and aim for something better.

jonssonj 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:06:52
#104 ]

@hatschi

It would be cool if you could do that....

I promise to buy one? by the way, when do you think it will be available? do you have any screenshots?

hatschi 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:17:59
#105 ]
Elite Member

@jonssonj
Quote:
by the way, when do you think it will be available?

Wow, you're quick, dude! I just made this decision and you are already asking for the release date and screenshots? I even didn't "draw" the mainboard layout, yet! But I can already tell you that it will be Cell-based. Why? I can make it more expensive and get more profit from it than from this x86-cr*p.

If you are honestly interested in my project, I welcome your application for the Hatschy'06 beta program: hatschybeta@hatsching.com

Last edited by hatschi on 04-Feb-2006 at 09:20 PM.

jonssonj 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:25:13
#106 ]

@hatschi

errhmmm.... I thought that I suggested to invent something new that no-one has ever seen.... No, x86, no PPC, something entirely new......

/JJ

pixie 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:26:25
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge
Quote:
Well, ever asked what margin they have ? How many survive 5 years ? You have some big ones and some small ones popping up every year - and shutting down again after some time. The price pressure simply kills most of them. You have to compete against the big vendors.

I guess that AmigaOS wouldn't be of any value then...

Quote:
And what do you think, how many support an Amiga platform will get if the dealer sells 99% PC stuff ?

You know what the user finds way cool? In having the same hardware as the PC labeled sometimes up to 10-20% more... besides, you buy everythings PC for the new Amiga (CD, HD, Printers), so what's the fuss about "selling 99% PC stuff"?

pixie 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:29:01
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Jeffshepherd
Quote:
OS4 is not going to be ported to x86 or Apple hardware. At least not any time soon.
Quote:
Some people just don't want to listen do they.

Maybe that's because they aren't exactly talking about the present...

hatschi 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:34:41
#109 ]
Elite Member

@jonssonj
Quote:
I thought that I suggested to invent something new that no-one has ever seen....

You are asking too much. If everything works out well, we will see two production runs of the Hatschy'06 in 2006. (note that '06 is nothing more than a model designation)

But - depending on the sales of the Hatschy'06, we will consider a higher-end version with a new Quadro-Core-CPU that is yet to be unveiled and will be specially designed for OS5. Working title is "MythOS".

jonssonj 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:42:33
#110 ]

@hatschi

If you are going to produce the boards 2006, you must have a picture, don't you? or.... wait a minute, it's just a hoax, isn't it?

tomazkid 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:42:41
#111 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

Quote:
If everything works out well, we will see two production runs of the Hatschy'06 in 2006. (note that '06 is nothing more than a model designation)

(Just remember that this will haunt you forever, the Internet never forgets )

Last edited by tomazkid on 04-Feb-2006 at 09:43 PM.

kgrach 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 21:50:45
#112 ]
Cult Member

@Seer

Replaced my Soyo board with an ASUS MVP
only crossfire board available that works properly.
Artic Cooler makes some really nice coolers for the ATI boards.
Currently waiting on my X2 for the X1900

On the case of Off topic posts remember we are supposed to be talking about AOS4 hardware or lack there off.

kgrach

umisef 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 23:13:13
#113 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
okay Apple was willing to pay $200 million at point D

No, Apple wasn't. Even despite Apple's desperate position, they offered less than $100m. At the point, total investment in Be had been lees than $20m.

On the other hand, *after* Apple went with NeXT instead, and *before* going x86, Be found itself with a product that nobody needed or wanted, and that only ran on hardware made by people negotiations with whom, described as "I've got them by the balls and I'm going to squeeze until it hurts" had just failed. Anyone want to make a guess what Be was worth *then*?

Quote:
the argument is old and I am tired of getting my blood pressure up.

Then maybe you should walk away from the stupid argument. Heck, even if one were to believe that $200m nonsense, Be *STILL* increased in value almost threefold by the end of their x86 venture (in fact, at some point, Be's share valuation was around a billion dollars!). So let go of the stupid "x86 equals death, just look at Be" nonsense.

Also, by rolling out that argument (again), you (again) ignore NeXT, who were very much like Be (started on their own proprietary hardware, then ported to commodity specialty hardware, and eventually to x86), only that they (a) achieved profitability at one (short :) point, (b) actually had a working, commercial product (Be didn't until '98, according to their own SEC filings!), and (c) they eventually *did* sell their stuff to Apple, for a nice $427m. Death indeed....

umisef 
Posted on 4-Feb-2006 23:20:21
#114 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
Listen if you like X86 and think it will work PUT THE MONEY WERE YOUR MOUTH IS AND pay for AOS4 to get ported to a board you like

I don't believe OS4-on-x86 will "work" in the sense that it will come anywhere near recouping the development costs of OS4. Nor will OS4-on-PPC, of course. Too much time, money, and market opportunity(!) was wasted on the OS4-on-PPC-only lunacy.

But I object to (a) suggestions that going PPC was somehow safer, more sensible, or economically better, than going x86 back in 2001, and (b) nonsense arguments, most of which seem to be initially provided by Ben Hermans.

If YOU believe custom PPC hardware is the way to go --- then why don't YOU finance custom PPC hardware and a port of OS4 to it? Same (silly!) argument....

T_Bone 
Posted on 5-Feb-2006 0:30:59
#115 ]
Elite Member

@jonssonj

Quote:

jonssonj wrote:
@hatschi

If you are going to produce the boards 2006, you must have a picture, don't you? or.... wait a minute, it's just a hoax, isn't it?

You can use my ArosOne design posted on Moobunny. I tried talking them into proprietary hardware, but they just won't listen. Granted, it's designed specifically and optimised especially for Aros, whatever that means, but you can redesign it.

hatschi 
Posted on 5-Feb-2006 0:41:08
#116 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone
Quote:
You can use my ArosOne design posted on Moobunny.

Yeah, I saw that one. Looks quite interesting and our hardware designers are already looking into this option. Unfortunately, we can't prototype the circuit board based on ASCII code. We need either Dpaint-IFF or Visio-BMPs.

Quote:
Granted, it's designed specifically and optimised especially for Aros, whatever that means, but you can redesign it.

It won't run AROS. Technically it would run on the Hatschy'06, but we will use a dongle that only allows to run OS5 (MythOS) on this platform. That's how we keep it "special". Our goal is do something different than all this blo*dy x86-cr*p.

kgrach 
Posted on 5-Feb-2006 3:19:37
#117 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

Found this tidbit in the Gassee BIO
"
Famously, in 1996 Gassée demanded $400 million from Apple Computer just for the privilege of using BeOS. Apple however, estimating the total worth of Be Inc. at about $80 million, offered to pay $120 million, later raising its bid to $200 million. Ultimately no deal could be worked out, and Apple instead went on to purchase NeXTSTEP, re-acquiring Steve Jobs in the process. Be Incorporated was eventually sold to Palm, Inc. for $11 million in August 2001."

Quote:
I don't believe OS4-on-x86 will "work" in the sense that it will come anywhere near recouping the development costs of OS4.

Then why bother arguing for it????

AOS4 development for the A1 was paid for by Allen.

Quote:

If YOU believe custom PPC hardware is the way to go --- then why don't YOU finance custom PPC hardware and a port of OS4 to it?

Becuase several other people are doing just that.
If I thought that no PPC hardware was forth coming I really would.

Not a silly argument if you believe it is financialy viable than do it.

Kgrach

T_Bone 
Posted on 5-Feb-2006 4:10:07
#118 ]
Elite Member

@kgrach

Quote:

kgrach wrote:
@umisef
Quote:
I don't believe OS4-on-x86 will "work" in the sense that it will come anywhere near recouping the development costs of OS4.

For the same reason Be eventually sold out for $11 million when the $400 million didn't pan out, it's better than nothing.

umisef 
Posted on 5-Feb-2006 5:36:53
#119 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
Found this tidbit in the Gassee BIO

I take it you got that out of Wikipedia? In which case you might have noticed that these silly and, AFAICT, entirely unsubstantiated numbers only made it in there on August 15th, 2005, and were put in by an editor whose main areas of expertise appear to be spiders, the Tour de France, and Single Malt Scotch...

Quote:

I am not. I believe that the whole OS4 folly is doomed to abysmal failure.

However, *if* anyone really wants to try and take the commercial wreck that is OS4 development up to this point and make it into a commcercially viable product, then I *do* believe that the best chance is to go x86. Not a good chance, mind you, just the best chance.

Quote:
AOS4 development for the A1 was paid for by Allen.

Really? How much did he pay, just out of interest? And how many hours of even one semi-decent programmer can be paid for with his contribution? Oh, and it's "Alan".

Quote:
If I thought that no PPC hardware was forth coming I really would.

So you really believe it's financially viable? AND you really believe PPC hardware is "forth coming", in any sense that has any bearing on financial viability?

Say, wanna have a bet?

Last edited by umisef on 05-Feb-2006 at 05:38 AM.

kgrach 
Posted on 5-Feb-2006 7:00:19
#120 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

"Alan" you are correct it is late and I am not really paying to much attention to spelling or grammer.

Quote:
So you really believe it's financially viable? AND you really believe PPC hardware is "forth coming", in any sense that has any bearing on financial viability?

Yes I do.
Again if I find out none is forth coming I will step in and design, build and sell.

But right now it is not worth the distraction as I was told others are constructing said machines.

Kgrach

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle