Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Lou:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  26 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  AOS4 Hardware
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
ironfist 
Re: AOS4 Hardware
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 15:16:46
#41 ]
Cult Member

NutsAboutAmiga:

It's easy! The proof is there! No need to look on it with a sceptic eye!

eBay is Almighty God(tm).

Besides.. I searched for Pegasos and not Pegasus.

Last edited by ironfist on 02-Feb-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
prmetime 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 15:21:20
#42 ]

For all those that addressed the questions about the New Amiga Hardware, thank you. I would think that a great source of hardware would be the current Mac Mini if there isn't anything proprietary on that hardware to prevet OS4 from being used. I say that because it currently exists. As for the Amy05 and the Power Vixxen, more power to you if you can get it to arrive.

For all those that talked about alternative hardware, I agree that having OS4 on cheap x86 hardware would be a great way to go. Imagine OS4 on a VIA Epia Motherboard. How cool would that be? However, that is not the direction that Hyperion is going so we still must wait for new hardware and the new OS. Perhaps I will have sold off enough of my old Amiga hardware to have enough money for the new stuff when it arrives.

Last edited by prmetime on 02-Feb-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Last edited by prmetime on 02-Feb-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Eric_S 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 15:25:43
#43 ]
Team Member

Can we try and keep this on topic, please.

ikir 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 15:28:18
#44 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I don’t get it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Hope helps you ;-P

prmetime 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 15:28:47
#45 ]

I found the data for both the Amy 05 and the PowerVixxen. I understand the appeal of the PowerVixxen type unit though that doesn't work for those of us (admittedly a comparative minority) without an A1200.

If I understand correctly, the Amy 05 will not have any graphics built in. So one of the PCI slots will have to use a PCI graphics card. Now I know you can still find a lot of those on eBay for not a lot of money. Will there be common drivers for any card/chip or will it only be for certain cards/chips in OS4?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 15:59:32
#46 ]
Elite Member

@prmetime

Quote:
VIA Epia Motherboard

VIA is s*** in my experience, no more VIA chips on my hw, I have 3 pc all whit VIA from different hw malefactors all have some kind of problem, crashes, usb drop outs, you name it. And yes I have installed the via4in1 driver package over and over again, for every single update, butt now I’m using linux and dropped windows on home computer and this did not help on the hw problem. The USB delivers not the required AMPS of some drives, and via686b is bad chip lockups, and other new via chip I have a newer pc is just as bad. No more VIA !!!

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 02-Feb-2006 at 04:01 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 16:03:59
#47 ]
Elite Member

@ikir

Oh yes it helps now in understand completely

number6 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 16:05:37
#48 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
No more VIA

That certainly seems to be the prevailing opinion.

ikir 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 16:12:00
#49 ]
Elite Member

@prmetime

PowerVixxen can work without an A1200

nzv58l 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 16:23:14
#50 ]

@prmetime

I thought I heard that the Powervixen would be able to work without a A1200 even though it could also be connected to one.

I think the Apple is not a good solution or even the X86. The reason why is that we should not be following other platforms, we should be doing our own thing. If we do not we will never be any better than the other platforms. We would still be behind in the X86 world, because we would not have the privilage of getting information and test machines that are current technology. By the time the OS would be ready everyone would be complaining that it wasn't ready for the best CPU out there. So it would be the same as it is now. Let's just wait for the hardware that is designed for OS4. I do not want to run on some other platforms hardware. I am not that hard up for hardware, that I need someone elses hand me downs. The only way that would happen is if there were no one interested in making hardware. That is currently not the case at all.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 17:37:30
#51 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga
Quote:
I have 3 pc all whit VIA from different hw malefactors all have some kind of problem, crashes, usb drop outs, you name it.

Yeah right. Check my desktop PC at work:

Quote:

charlie@gagyitech:~$ lspci | grep VIA
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 80)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [K8T800 South]
0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
charlie@gagyitech:~$ uptime
18:27:20 up 91 days, 2:16, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
charlie@gagyitech:~$

And it's not an extra board, it's the cheapest ASUS mainboard which i was able to get. And the thing is even AMD processor based, which also unstable according to some self-proclaimed experts. Also, my Pegasos II is rock solid. Runs 24/7, right next to the above box, not a single crash, flaw or anything releated to the VIA chip on board. My hint is that while it's true that all hardware has problems, never blame your lack of capabilities to configure a computer properly to a HW manufacturer. (Other literature to read: "The story of the A1XE sound chip.")

wegster 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 17:52:27
#52 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist

Quote:
It's easy! The proof is there! No need to look on it with a sceptic eye!

eBay is Almighty God(tm).

Besides.. I searched for Pegasos and not Pegasus.

Yes, and look at your screenshot closer, evidently 'great eBay' was confused, just like your AmigaOne/Peg comment.

This isn't the place, no one is asking about the Peg here, some have reported it as Abuse (not processed), presumably for baiting or simply way OT, further interjection of unrelated bits will be dealt with as appriopriate.

Let's stick to the subject, shall we?

Last edited by wegster on 02-Feb-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 02-Feb-2006 at 05:54 PM.

ironfist 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 23:33:49
#53 ]
Cult Member

wegster:
The irony in my post was expressed with all the smilies. Noone could seriously have thought
I was serious in that post..

All these OS4-hardware threads are getting booooring.. They really lead nowhere..

T_Bone 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 23:47:09
#54 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@prmetime

Quote:
VIA Epia Motherboard

VIA is s*** in my experience, no more VIA chips on my hw, I have 3 pc all whit VIA from different hw malefactors all have some kind of problem, crashes, usb drop outs, you name it. And yes I have installed the via4in1 driver package over and over again, for every single update, butt now I’m using linux and dropped windows on home computer and this did not help on the hw problem. The USB delivers not the required AMPS of some drives, and via686b is bad chip lockups, and other new via chip I have a newer pc is just as bad. No more VIA !!!

Personally, I've never had a problem with ANY Via chip save for the MVP3 found on an old DFI AT Motherboard. That was pre 4in1, and Win95 simply wouldn't recognise ANY PCI card without the chipset drivers. After the drivers, the mouse position was 2 inches off on screen from where the actual click took place. Eventually fixed with a bios update and new Voodoo1 driver.

I doubt they pay much attention to how well these things work in PPC systems though, who uses them in PPC systems?

Now the Articia... there's a chipset that makes chills run down my spine...

Last edited by T_Bone on 02-Feb-2006 at 11:52 PM.

ironfist 
Posted on 2-Feb-2006 23:55:10
#55 ]
Cult Member

The VIA chips in my EPIAs and Pegasoses are running just fine.. No problems at all.

wegster 
Posted on 3-Feb-2006 0:11:14
#56 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist

Quote:
All these OS4-hardware threads are getting booooring.. They really lead nowhere..

Yeah, pretty much

Legion 
Posted on 3-Feb-2006 0:45:02
#57 ]
Cult Member

@T_Bone

You've apparently never owned a KT-266 motherboard.

(but yes, the KT-266a revision fixed most of the problems).

lavo 
Posted on 3-Feb-2006 1:31:01
#58 ]

From an outsider's view looking in at the Amiga scene (who used to be very heavily involved in using Amigas), there seems to be three "bites of the cherry":

1) There's OS 4 made be Hyperion. We have an almost complete OS with no hardware to run it on.

2) There's Aros. A very much incomplete port of 3.1 to run on very available x86 hardware.

3) And there's Morphos. A mature Amiga-like OS to run on a mature PPC board. *But*, the OS manufacturer and the hardware manufacturer have some sort of dispute, so neither is available together!

It seems the ghost of Commodore is still haunting the Amiga

BTW, that's bunk about not being able to run a different OS on the Mac. There are many flavours of Linux available, such as Yellow Dog, SUSE, Fedora and Debian. The current Mac mini would be a perfect machine for OS4 to be ported to.

T_Bone 
Posted on 3-Feb-2006 2:04:38
#59 ]
Elite Member

@lavo

Quote:

lavo wrote:

BTW, that's bunk about not being able to run a different OS on the Mac. There are many flavours of Linux available, such as Yellow Dog, SUSE, Fedora and Debian. The current Mac mini would be a perfect machine for OS4 to be ported to.

Yes, it would, but nobody really cares about the market that's here now. The AmigaOne failed, and will probably only be replaced by small hobby projects.

I suspect Hyperion could take it or leave it as well. They may think it would be nice to have a desktop AmigaOS machine available, but if they thought there was anything in it for them, I think we'd actually see them doing something to make it happen as part of their *own* business plan (like making it available on a Mac mini), rather than waiting for third parties to approach them with options.

T_Bone 
Posted on 3-Feb-2006 2:18:06
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Legion

Quote:

Legion wrote:
@T_Bone

You've apparently never owned a KT-266 motherboard.

(but yes, the KT-266a revision fixed most of the problems).

I owned 7 of them, however all 7 were plagued with leaky popping capacitors that prevented me from ever seeing anything else wrong with them.

Microstar RMA dept. probably blacklisted me

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle