Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  3 mins ago
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 eliyahu:  5 hrs 21 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  6 hrs 8 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 15 mins ago
 BigD:  6 hrs 43 mins ago
 retrofaza:  6 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  1/4 of the way through the year, H/W? :-(
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oxygenet 
1/4 of the way through the year, H/W?
Posted on 4-Mar-2006 18:50:04
#1 ]

Hi there everyone,

Well it's 1/4 of the way through the year and still NO news on new H/W, or have I missed it? Why the heck did ANYONE announce they are working on something only to go totally silent? Another year with an OS4 full release if this keeps up, all the hard work Hyperion put into the OS and regular folks can't even use it - not matter how much we want to.

Oh well, lets hope we hear and SEE something soon.

Chris

Profile     Report this post  
Colin_Camper 
Re: 1/4 of the way through the year, H/W?
Posted on 4-Mar-2006 19:09:53
#2 ]

@Oxygenet

Err Dude! 12 months in a year, 3 months in 1/4 of a year.

Still, I'm with you on the hardware (lack of) rant....

Bty - I notice you're from Florida - I was at Miami beach last week - Wow! What a great place and what great weather!

Last edited by Colin_Camper on 04-Mar-2006 at 07:11 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 17:11:00
#3 ]

I didn't want to start a new thread because there are so many "Where is the hardware?" threads already, so I just picked one of them...

Many of us (including myself) have already wondered why we haven't heard anything from Adam Kowalczyk yet, after his statement on IRC in late December 2005:

[22:42:11] [Desolator] ackcontrols: any date or month we can expect them to be out on the market?
[22:45:41] [GuruMeditation] it was said earlier, probably late january
[22:45:41] [ackcontrols] End of january give or take.

In the SAFIR interview with Adam, the following is mentioned
"Further on Adam tells us that they plan to release the Vixxen in relation to when the OS4 gets done for the AmigaOne. Since the OS4 will be bundled with the card, there is no major meaning to release any product before OS4 is done."

Couldn't this be the problem? The Friedens have already said that Prerelease4 is close to what we can expect from OS4 "final". On the other hand it is quite natural that many bug-reports are coming in now, with problems that may not have been fully discovered through betatesting. Moreover, there could be some last-minute problems with the adaption of OS4 to the PV.

To sum up, isn't it possible that the delay in the release of the Powervixxen is due to OS4 not having reached a status where it is "frozen" and burned on CD's which are bundled with the card?

Framiga 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 17:19:00
#4 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

"I didn't want to start a new thread because there are so many "Where is the hardware?"

and so, why you did?

Pentrite 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 17:21:21
#5 ]

@Framiga

He didn´t.

polka. 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 17:28:12
#6 ]

@Framiga

Anything to contribute except for this (wrong) question of yours?

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 18:29:05
#7 ]
Elite Member

@polka.
Quote:
"Further on Adam tells us that they plan to release the Vixxen in relation to when the OS4 gets done for the AmigaOne. Since the OS4 will be bundled with the card, there is no major meaning to release any product before OS4 is done." Couldn't this be the problem?

But why cant they just say so? I am sure people would understand the delay if they actually stated the reason. The main reason why people are complaing is because of the silent.. They seem to suggest that it will be released soon and then no one hear a word from them, which is something that sadly has happened way to often in the Amiga world..

Who knows if this is just one of those companies that announce something and then just dissapears to be never seen again.. All we need now is a status update...

Last edited by Tomas on 10-Mar-2006 at 06:31 PM.

x56h34 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 18:30:25
#8 ]

I think it's much cooler the way things are now. There's lots of discussions going on, and the day we get new hardware all the debates will end.

Hans 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 18:53:29
#9 ]
Elite Member

@x56h34

Quote:
I think it's much cooler the way things are now. There's lots of discussions going on, and the day we get new hardware all the debates will end.

Hopefully we'll have more interesting things to discuss when that happens.

Last edited by Hans on 10-Mar-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 19:16:29
#10 ]

@Hans

Quote:

Well, maybe the debates would end for a couple of days and then restart with the "Where is the G5 mobo?" and "Where is the fantasy case?" threads and discussions!

Another take on all this is that if hardware from ACK and Troika sadly doesn't materialise then either;

Hyperion would be forced to realease OS4 onto something available, like PegII(Hi-end) and EFIKA(lo-end).

or

(with even better long term prospects)

Hyperion would be forced to release OS4 onto stable AMD X86-64(Hi-end) and VIA EPIA(Lo-end).

So this hardware hitch could work in the Amigas' long term interest - if it finally blows away the X86 bigotry and reality prevales!

elwood 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 19:16:41
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Oxygenet

Quote:
Oh well, lets hope we hear and SEE something soon.

This sentence sounds like the and ending sentence.
End of the thread.

Amiga Translator Organisation

winnetcom 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 21:37:04
#12 ]

The whole " No s/w before h/w, no h/w before s/w" , "when its done" situation with OS4 is starting to feel embarassing and like a total waste of time. I just can't let go and I haven't run an Amiga since 2000 and what I Loved about it is gone, the s/w

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 22:43:15
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Elwood

I don't think so.

@CCamper

That last sentence would be the great way to go IMO too. Only thing is, we would have to wait for the port to the x86 platform, but what's a couple more months

/me ducks from rotten lettuce projectiles

K-L 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 22:48:46
#14 ]

@elwood
Let's hope that when this thread ends, it won't be too late. If noone asks when, where, why, etc... this will mean that there is no more people interested in whatever comes.

I like reading questions and speculations of every one about new hardware even if there is nothing because the day something comes, there will be people waiting..... "Le contraire sera plus embętant"

sundown 
Posted on 10-Mar-2006 22:58:17
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Bodie_CI5

Quote:
/me ducks from rotten lettuce projectiles

Here in the States we like to use rotten tomatoes. They fit nicely in your hand, can be thrown harder & further, & are so messy when they hit.

Cheers

Jorge 
Posted on 11-Mar-2006 0:56:50
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Oxygenet

On my calender it's still march 10th, which isn't even the middle of march and the 1/4 ends AFAIK on 03/31, doesn't it ?

At least, it's not 1/4 yet he he

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

herewegoagain 
Posted on 11-Mar-2006 2:43:04
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Oxygenet

Try to keep on hanging in there. You know we've all been waiting for a long time for this. I fear that people are going to start walking away soon (some already have). It's been good to have the OS4 progress updates over the last couple of years, but I think alot of people are tired of that by now.

I believe everyone else left can see that OS4 is a fine product, but the uncertainty of the hardware has caused a waning of interest. The hardware fiasco has sort of been the anticlimax for OS4, and it's a shame because of all the hard work put into the project until now. The existing projects complete silence is doing nothing more than extending that decline of interest.

Legion 
Posted on 11-Mar-2006 3:24:19
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Herewegoagain

Well said.

@x56h34

When there is new hardware the discussions won't end. They'll just shift focus and become more about helping returning users like me get their new miggies pimped out properly

ChrisH 
Posted on 11-Mar-2006 10:51:48
#19 ]
Elite Member

If lack of hardware is blamed on OS4 not being finished (bugs, etc), then we will NEVER have hardware, because neither OS4 nor any OS will ever be truely "finished" - there are always bugs & features that would be nice to add. Ever heard of Service Packs? The last pre-release was Good Enough, IMHO.

I very much doubt that OS4 is the reason for lack of hardware, since Hyperion know they are loosing many prospective customers every day - far more than a few bugs or missing features would cause them.

We should be honest - lack of hardware is down to the (no insult intended) very small & inexperienced mobo developers that we have. Troika implied/promised a board by the end of 2005 - sure there are some lame excuses, but the bottom line is that they haven't delivered, and I don't see much reason to believe they will any time soon. I haven't followed the other potential new mobo(s) in detail, but they don't sound too promising either.

Bill Buck's "offer" of a Pegasos board, while coming with a lot of strings attached, at least would (and perhaps still could) provide us with a known-working (and well documented) mobo. IMHO, Hyperion is crazy if they haven't been working on Pegasos drivers in secret, just in case their hardware "partners" don't deliver the goods. They can complain all they want about needing to be paid to port OS4, but if there is no-one willing AND able to do it, then the only way they can make money on OS4 is by doing it themselves.

Frankly, if Hyperion don't get some hardware to run OS4 on (and sell OS4 with) soon, I won't be surprised to hear that they've gone bankrupt, and that Amiga Inc (spit) have regained ownership of OS4 from them. And that will be the least we ever hear of OS4, most likely. Yes, very negative, but how many broken promises are we supposed to put-up with? AROS & Haiku look more promising every day....

Framiga 
Posted on 11-Mar-2006 10:56:16
#20 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

"Anything to contribute except for this (wrong) question of yours?"

mhhh . . . nope.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle