Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  17 secs ago
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 pavlor:  5 mins ago
 kriz:  11 mins ago
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 kolla:  22 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  32 mins ago
 Rob:  42 mins ago
 pixie:  54 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Good times around the corner.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Frags 
Re: Good times around the corner.
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 2:56:28
#81 ]
Cult Member

@OldTimeUser

I`m with you - it`s all "let`s see you do better" but better than what? Stop harping on about how difficult it is to build a motherboard from scratch, we`ve seen no proof that`s happening. There is no reason not to provide a status report except more ####. I`m bored to tears.

I have a mobo here running os4 at high speed! It`ll be out soon :o) Now prove I`m lying...

- insert profound text here -

Profile     Report this post  
Dirk-B 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 3:08:03
#82 ]

@Troika

Thanks, for giving the people here who still believe in
you guys (thats the majority here) some new extra hope
against all these pessimists, moaners and whiners.

Thanks !

Frags 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 3:12:21
#83 ]
Cult Member

@Dirk-B

Blind faith is unjustified in this case.

- insert profound text here -

jahc 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 3:14:23
#84 ]
Elite Member

-removed post-

Last edited by jahc on 21-Mar-2006 at 03:40 AM.

Tomas 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 3:19:51
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Hattig
Quote:
All we do is whinge when it gets delayed because the task isn't simple, and then they've got to somehow locate Amiga Inc, and get an OS licencing scheme from them, and get boards made and pay for the components and test them and all that.

I think less people would whine if they actually showed us some proof of the project, so that we actually know that it exists. Even a small project status update would help alot and would not consume much of their time.
So far the only proof we have seen is nothing but words on a webpage, which people have done many times before with no results to show. There was even someone claiming to be making some laptops capable of running amigaos, but where are they?? Where is the boxer?? Where is the gateway AmigaNG running qnx? Where is the iWin? All of these turned out to be nothing other than vapor..
Why should this amy'05 be any different?

Hyperion have said on these board that they have seen no sign of either the amy or the ack hardware and that is for sure not a good sign, considering that they will need some hardware to be able to port OS4.

Dirk-B 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 4:13:08
#86 ]

@Frags

Call it blind faith how much you like, i call it longterm thinking.

cope 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 4:16:27
#87 ]
Cult Member

@jahc

It appears the natives are restless tonight!

Coder 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 6:36:27
#88 ]
Team Member

@d0c

Quote:
what a BIG whiner!... one more of does red smilies i bet your old ticker will stop....

Correct me if I am wrong but are you not posting in almost every forum that the end has come and doom and gloom is here to stay? What makes you different from the guy you call a whiner? Because he uses a few more angry faces? It takes one to smell one, eh?

Coder

Coder 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 6:40:58
#89 ]
Team Member

@OldTimeUser

Quote:
Are you blind or what?

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Don't do that. I am not asking it again.

Coder

Coder 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 6:43:29
#90 ]
Team Member

I will not tolerate any flames/attacks directed at other users. And also no more flaming. One post is enough to let us all know if you don't like something but don't use 10 posts to say the same thing over and over again.

Coder

amygdala 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 6:46:04
#91 ]

@Dirk-B

Quote:

Dirk-B wrote:
@Frags

Call it blind faith how much you like, i call it longterm thinking.

I think this is actually a very important point you're making Dirk-B.

Look at it this way. Within any population there are many different types of customers reflecting a great diversity of needs. Some customers will have a more urgent or immediate need for a particular product while others will not. In your parlance, we might think of them as short term thinkers. Others, like you and I, will hold a longer term views.

I, for instance, am quite happy to wait as long as it takes. When OS4 and supported hardware are available for final release, I will purchase it. I am convinced, based upon the occasional progress reports, that I will enjoy playing and experimenting with it if I ever get the chance.

If, for reasons beyond my control, I never see OS4 available commercially, I will be disappointed because it really sounds fun to me. But my world won't collapse. I have no real influence over the eventual outcome. Do I spend any time worrying about the fate of OS4 and hardware to run it on? No - not at all. I really don't mind waiting. Do I feel foolish for waiting? No. If my life were on hold over any of this, I might indeed feel foolish.

I understand, though, that there are others in the Amiga market/community who (for whatever reason) don't have the luxury that I have to wait. Perhaps they are professionals who want to use the platform somehow to try and make some money. In that case their impatience and frustration are understandable.

And then there are those who, perhaps for psychological reasons, simply aren't able to gracefully handle the experience of waiting. It's against their nature. I suspect they feel foolish passing their time on this little platform with its slow development and its tiny community. They secretly don't really want to be associated with it; and yet (filled with shame and embarrassment) they are still drawn to it like moths to a flame. And they lash out at those who do not share their sense of embarrassment. They are energized by and drawn toward situations where they can attack others - Others (read: Amiga, Inc.,
Eyetech, Hyperion, Troika) who aren't doing things they way they think they should be done -- Others (read: community members) who are not outraged at all, who actually enjoy the occasional announcements or reassuring hellos from principle players, and the slow growth toward a possible future. -- Others (read: longterm thinkers) who are hopeful but won't be devastated if things don't work out -- just disappointed.

Their aggression is really ironic since (except for a very few cases) these individuals have no better access to information than anyone else. Their outrage is based upon the information they have culled from various websites and forums that we all read. They simply come to different conclusions based upon that information. They believe they know more or have somehow interpreted the information more accurately. And so they attack and judge nearly anyone who doesn't freak out and attack others the same way they do.

Anyway, Dirk-B is right. It's not blind faith at all. It's simply looking at things from a broader (and in my opinion healthier) perspective. Look, it's out of your hands, people. Try to relax.

DanN

OldFart 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 7:46:00
#92 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@The_Editor

Quote:
He has been riding the same Honda C90 for the past 20 years with a fag in his gob.

If you give it a close examination, you may come up with the notion that Cello actually is a very bright lad.
By having a 'fag in his gob' while riding that contraption, he does not need to suck the bloody thing and get those bad fumes in. Very smart, unless he's wearing a fullface helmet of course...

OldFart

OldFart 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 7:50:16
#93 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Coder

Talking about slang and not getting dirty, how about this one:

From OldTimeUser

Quote:
with the carrot dangling tactics

OldFart

I saw, you already noticed. A dirty mind is a joy forever

Last edited by OldFart on 21-Mar-2006 at 07:52 AM.

Treke 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 7:51:30
#94 ]

@Troika

Hiya. Lets put some pub-like analysis into this

There are two option why you did the original post
a) You're iWin like company and enjoy to dig an anthill with a hole (taking care not to put your feet into)
b) You actually have something ready and you want to test the market state and prepare the market for it.

In case of a) - see the thread above
In case of b) - if you can show a board, it's good, if you can show a board running linux - much better. I doubt you can show the board running OS4 (unless the TSIide.device was the 'higher priority' project on which sg2 was working on). So if that's the case, the time in what you will be able to show OS4 running is speculative again. So actually you're upsetting people. Not a big deal. If your board is superb for a good price, you're the king even then - like Henry Ford was in his early days, (he said something like: The next car will be blue and you - the customers- will buy it. ) because he was the ONLY car manufacturer.
But even in that case: if your product will have some small flaw, $50 higher price than expected, no altivec, soldered processor bad color ... anything negative - you did what you didn't want: You increased the potential of loosing some customer. (I'm analysing this, cos I guess your silence was motivated by not telling anything speculative)

Feel free to correct me with c, d , etc

regards
Ed

Dirk-B 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 8:06:26
#95 ]

@Treke

And the answer is...

c) exactly what the topic says.

You guys are reading to much between the lines.

@DanN

That was exactly my thinking, i could never had
said it better myself, thanks.

edit: spelling

Last edited by Dirk-B on 21-Mar-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Last edited by Dirk-B on 21-Mar-2006 at 08:08 AM.

COBRA 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 8:25:49
#96 ]

I'm really tired of all those pessimistic people spreading their negativity and bashing everyone who tries to be a bit more positive. Yeah kick Troika for posting a positive comment, make sure that those who are hopeful lose all their hope.

Seriously now, whether there will be some new hardware from Troika or not, whining in forums all the time will not help matters. If you're tired of waiting, LEAVE NOW, find other things to keep you occupied, go and enjoy life :) You can always check back later if you happen to hear some good news. But don't try to bring down the mood of others who are still hopeful and positive because you're doing a lot of damage to the community. Believe me there are times when I'm really fed up with things (not talking about anything OS4-related in particular) but I don't go and ruin the day for other people because of it. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 8:50:33
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

@Atheist

Quote:
Make mine a G4 (Altivec) 1.8 GHz Amy '06 w cheese and fries to go!!!!

where must I sign?

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 9:06:32
#98 ]
Elite Member

@d0c

oh what i saw. A new vegetable based A1. I must efore other cook him before other amiga's eat him.

Comi 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 9:14:22
#99 ]
Cult Member

@ Troika

Update your site and say something more about that good times, please!

ikir 
Posted on 21-Mar-2006 9:56:03
#100 ]
Elite Member

@COBRA

Quote:
I'm really tired of all those pessimistic people spreading their negativity and bashing everyone who tries to be a bit more positive.

As always, i agree with you.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle