Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  2 mins ago
 zipper:  7 mins ago
 Vidar:  11 mins ago
 deadwood:  11 mins ago
 thinkchip:  19 mins ago
 Karlos:  40 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 graff:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  PPC 7448: too expensive for CPU upgrade cards
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: PPC 7448: too expensive for CPU upgrade cards
Posted on 30-Apr-2006 15:36:10
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Mark

Quote:
LOL, what a load of rubbish (no offence). The PPC market is far from dead (that is generic PPC rather than G4 specifically). Each Xbox 360 has 2 (not sure if its one dual core or two physical processors) PPC chips in it (G5's I believe),

Three PPE cores(1)(2) with L2 cache's clocked half of the advertised clock speed i.e. 1.6Ghz(for yield).

1. Dual instruction issue per cycle per core i.e. a total of six instruction issue per cycle.
2. In-order processing i.e. like PowerPC 601, but equiped with SMT (doesn't change the dual instruction issue per cycle).

XBOX360's PowerPC's is hardly a PowerPC 970 i.e. 5 instruction issue (4 instuctions,1 branch) and OOOE. The only thing common with PPC 970 and PPE is thier bais towards Netburst style pipeline depth. The real power of XBOX 360 is the unfied shader ATI GPU .

Quote:

and they are selling millions of those, the new Nintendo box is going to have at least 1 PPC chip,

Like yesteryear’s 68K PC market, the PPC market is relatively fragmented. They are not as near monolithic as Intel /AMD X86 platforms. The software benefits from Nintendo Game Cube didn’t quite benefit for the whole PPC platform.

Quote:

a high volume of mid to high range printers have PPC chips in them, a large number of network devices (routers etc) have PPC chips in them. I would hardly call this a small market.

Define millions...PPC is hardly X86, ARM or MIPS in terms of unit sales per year.

Profile     Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 30-Apr-2006 15:45:07
#82 ]
Elite Member

@wegster
Quote:
Stop blaming IBM because they're a large company that actually wants to make MONEY, instead of revolving around 'Atheist's world.'

In semi-conductor terms, IBM is out side the top 10.

Hammer 
Posted on 30-Apr-2006 15:56:37
#83 ]
Elite Member

@Maczilla

Quote:

Not a very fair test really. The G4 in the PB was a single core
proccessor. The Intel part in all the MBPs is a dual core chip.

The market doesn’t compare the number of cores alone e.g compare at price points.

Last edited by Hammer on 30-Apr-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Samwel 
Posted on 1-May-2006 3:49:40
#84 ]
Elite Member

@TMTisFree

Hehe I know of the button. But I don't care what he says that's why I'm not reporting.
When I think he made such an offense I feel hurt or angry I will for sure report him
or the one who did it
In this case I noticed that he made Yabba and ackcontrl a little bit angry that's why
I think his post borders on the trolling line..

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 1-May-2006 4:02:51
#85 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Yeah sure.. If it was ONLY the licence he wouldn't be in this thread at all, would he?

Why did he play dumb when someone told him about calling it Teron being derogatory.
When it is! It has always been in MooBunny, ANN and on every non-OS4 site since
Eyetech released them.

Does everyone call many of the DVD players around Samsung or Pioneer just because
both the mother board and even firmware is in fact those makers even it it says
otherwise on the case???
No there's really only one reason he keeps on calling it Teron. You know it to!
Seehund is smart guy, you notice this when he writes. But why sooooo angry???

T_Bone 
Posted on 1-May-2006 6:47:55
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@T_Bone

Yeah sure.. If it was ONLY the licence he wouldn't be in this thread at all, would he?

Why did he play dumb when someone told him about calling it Teron being derogatory.
When it is! It has always been in MooBunny, ANN and on every non-OS4 site since
Eyetech released them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne

"AmigaOne is a trademark used by U.K. computer vendor Eyetech Group to sell the Teron series of PowerPC mainboards designed by Taiwanese-American integrated circuit producer Mai Logic. The trademark "AmigaOne" is exclusively licensed from Amiga, Inc. to Eyetech for the purpose of reselling various third party hardware to AmigaOS 4 users."

Why is it derogatory?

Quote:
Does everyone call many of the DVD players around Samsung or Pioneer just because
both the mother board and even firmware is in fact those makers even it it says
otherwise on the case???

If we were discussing it's parts, yes. If we were discussing it as an off the shelf commodity item, no. If we were talking about licensing problems with the board and firmware, you betcha.

Quote:
No there's really only one reason he keeps on calling it Teron. You know it to!

Of course I do, he hates the situation... the SAME situation Hyperion hates. The situation caused by the license. He wants to see AmigaOS4 succeed without being held back due to lack of hardware caused by an artificial restriction in an already small market.

Quote:
Seehund is smart guy, you notice this when he writes. But why sooooo angry???

Probably because he's been rewarded with scorn for his efforts, and it seems he still is, after working his butt off trying to work against a situation that has left us all currently with no marketable hardware. Some people would have you believe he's Anti Amiga, and after 5 years of trying to remove the roadblock that's halted our progress, that would make me angry too.

Samwel 
Posted on 1-May-2006 7:48:32
#87 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:

Why is it derogatory?

So now you're also gonna play this game?

Please don't!

Seehund does very well notice that some people recent calling the A1 series Teron so why
keep it up if he's ONLY upset about the licence issue? He seems to enjoy upseting people
and having heated "discussions" with them afterwards.

I think everyone is up for discussing the licence problems and the hardware problems without
having the derogatory tone he has thrown in their face. That's really it for most people here.
Nothing more nothing less.
I think an intelligent person like Seehund is an asset for us but not if he always upsets some
with his ways. This has nothing to do with opinion. I'm all for difference in opinions.

Seehund 
Posted on 1-May-2006 12:53:58
#88 ]

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@T_Bone

Quote:

Why is it derogatory?

So now you're also gonna play this game?

Please don't!

What game? What "stunt", as Yabba angrily put it only a few days after he declared that "we" don't even "give a flying f*ck about anything I say"?

Quote:
Seehund does very well notice that some people recent calling the A1 series Teron so why
keep it up if he's ONLY upset about the licence issue? He seems to enjoy upseting people
and having heated "discussions" with them afterwards.

I hate these meaningless "he said X because he..." meta-discussions. I try to steer clear of them, but when people are putting words in my mouth they shouldn't complain when I try to set those things straight...

Those who are genuinely(?) upset over seeing Terons being called "Terons" (what, three people out of thousands?) should perhaps ask themselves exactly what they're being upset over, instead of demanding that everyone should adopt their beliefs.

To make this perfectly clear: the hardware (the motherboards) offered as "AmigaOnes", "Boxers" or "DragonServers" is called Teron. A PPC7448 module (topic!) made for a Teron PX will work in any Teron PX, regardless of how the individual Teron PXes were sold. When it is relevant at all and could make any difference, i.e. when talking about specific product packages/software bundles aimed at different markets, then I think it makes sense to use those product names; "Is Eyetech planning to offer the Moxie-Halavah QXZ42 as an 'AmigaOne'?" et c. Saying "AmigaOne" when speaking about the hardware itself is only confusing, as can be seen when some "outsiders" read news/press-releases and get the idea that there are "new Amigas".

When people in a digital audio forum use the name Nextway NMP-612T to refer to the hardware which is also offered as the "Jens Of Sweden MP-300" mp3 player, where are the angry cries about "troll!", "quit your stunts/games!", "that's insulting!", "Nextway is derogatory!" et c?
Nowhere, that's where. Anyone yammering about "troll" or "insults" would be ignored or laughed at by everyone, because he'd be all worked up over a meaningless goddamn label (not to mention showing that he misunderstood words like "troll"). It just doesn't happen.

Quote:
I think everyone is up for discussing the licence problems and the hardware problems without
having the derogatory tone he has thrown in their face. That's really it for most people here.
Nothing more nothing less.
I think an intelligent person like Seehund is an asset for us but not if he always upsets some
with his ways. This has nothing to do with opinion. I'm all for difference in opinions.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
I just won't be making any effort to try to appease anyone who would claim to be insulted by seeing Terons be called Terons, Nextways be called Nextways, or by being told that water is wet. I think that the whole "insult" thing is cultist behaviour ("sure they're Terons/Nextways/wet, just don't ever MENTION it!"), they might as well go out and torch a Danish embassy or something. IMO, the problem here is in the eye of a hopefully very small number of beholders. :P I'll ignore them, and I wish they'd ignore me.

Re. the licence problems, I think T_Bone just showed that some people are building strawmen. "You're unappreciative, you're anti-this-and-that..." and so on.

Quote:
But why sooooo angry???

Actually, my avatar is not a self portrait. ;)

Yabba 
Posted on 1-May-2006 13:06:01
#89 ]

@Seehund

Quote:

What game? What "stunt", as Yabba angrily put it only a few days after he declared that "we" don't even "give a flying f*ck about anything I say"?

When you called all the people here idiots for supporting our projects I think I have the right to be angry. Oh, you didn't say it on _this_ forum? Well, it doesn't matter how you try to avoid it, your true spirit still shines through!

Quote:

Those who are genuinely(?) upset over seeing Terons being called "Terons" (what, three people out of thousands?) should perhaps ask themselves exactly what they're being upset over, instead of demanding that everyone should adopt their beliefs.

Why don't you get it???? You insist on calling hardware Teron and claim it was Bill Muller that designed it without having a single clue about it! That is what I am upset about. Why don't you offer Adam a nice appology for the false information you tried to spread?

Quote:
Actually, my avatar is not a self portrait. ;)

An X-ray scan of your brain perhaps?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle