Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 K-L:  37 mins ago
 Prober:  43 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New hardware clue number 1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
Seer 
Re: New hardware clue number 1
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 19:23:49
#201 ]
Team Member

@Hans

You're so going to get it you little....

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 20:02:16
#202 ]
Elite Member

@Ami603

I agree with you...

even if it's a tiny not as fast as people would like motherboard it is still progress in the right direction and lots of people will buy it because they want to get their hands on some Amiga hardware able to run OS4.

Ami603 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 20:39:20
#203 ]
Cult Member

@Seer

I fully agree, however, after being in contact with the involved people, i was merely trying to increase the peoples hope about the feasibility of this project.Wouldn't you give more credibility about something if half of the community had some kind of contact with the announced thing?(by either seeing the board running,by having the possibility of touching the board,by being the ones that are making it, whatever).
Knowing the actual (almost void) status of the PR people,thus not having a single data out of several projects,having the more people who can say it's true could help making the people understand and/or even justify the wait.It won't mean that the project might be successfull,or accepted,or that it will reach the market finally.But it will help the people to know that there's *really* something in the works,and that it may suit (or not) our needs.

A1200/030 32Mb
A4000D
A1-X1000.

number6 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 21:16:17
#204 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Seems like we agree.
The only place where you see a possible disagreement is a misunderstanding.
I said:
Quote:
This would not preclude any member from starting a forum thread or a "news"
thread and commenting as they please. I am merely looking for a place where facts
can be posted without getting trolled/spammed.

"not preclude" means "would NOT prevent or NOT prohibit". You can still have forum
threads AND news threads on the same topics. I was only referring to the -additional-
place where our developers, Hyperion, AI, whoever chooses to use it...could post
the information they wish to disclose without having other posts interrupt.
If one of these folks simply wanted to use this space to link to their own web
site, great! The goal is just to have a central starting place for all the important
information that the members so crave.
Hoping this clarifies that point.

In addition I had posted an idea earlier that we could use a forum for "help with
posting on AW." I saw this as a place where people struggling to have their message
heard and -understood- could meet with others who speak their own native language.
In this way they could gain assistance to be sure that, once translated to English,
the message still held the same meaning as the original poster desired.
I have asked for...and received such help before from people willing to help in
this regard. I think it could be most beneficial.
(frankly, I've even been asked and posted for others because of this language
problem that we see from time to time).

Thanks for your reply.

Seer 
Posted on 30-Aug-2006 21:48:25
#205 ]
Team Member

@Ami603

Maybe, but IMHO cold hard facts are needed now, not a lot of people saying I know, I saw it. It's just to easy to say that.

I'm sure Trioka and ACK are also working very hard, but "promises" made and never met (even tho they may never made a solid promise) is what hurts credibility for them but also any other out there trying their best to bring new hardware.

I think it would have been better for all involved or in the know not to make a teaser and just have a big suprise at the show. If anything happens next month, let's not imagine something horrible happening to any of the developers on the road to the show, and therefor no board is shown, let's just say it would be better if nothing had been said.

Dandy 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 8:07:37
#206 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@DarkGlobe

There is no need for a patch because we will soon get *real Amiga-Inc-approved hardware* (TM). There are many companies working hard on such hardware, which will surely be much more advanced than any of the unproven and expensive hardware designs such as Mac Mini and Pegasos. A further advantage will be that this hardware will be *specifically designed to run OS4*! Luckily, there won't be many other OS available for it, that's why everybody *has to run OS4* and won't run XP anymore. Very clever, isn't it?
Further to this, there are many upcoming embedded devices that are targeted to run OS4. My colleague at Hongkong ET Tech will be presenting one very exciting example of such a device on Pianeta Amiga. I guess you already read about the rumours concerning the "OS4-on-a-stick" that was recently featured on Slashdot.
I am happy to exclusively show you a first clue (clue #1, next to follow in 2 weeks) of the PCB layout of the stick.

Ooouuch - you already got the answers to the "25 questions to Bill McEwen" on Amiga.org, which havent been sent yet???

Dandy

Crumb 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 8:53:11
#207 ]
Elite Member

@Ami603

It would be better if they didn't disturb us until it's ready to sell. And posting a photograph of a small part of a motherboard is simply stupid. Show me a video of the motherboard working if you want. But a small photograph to raise hopes?

It has happened before:
-Dragon
-PowervixxenLT
-Boxer
-Troika Amiwhatever
-Eyetech original Amiga One 1200 board
-Eyetech MicroA1-I (the version with soldered G3)
-Escena Z3 board
-Phase5 G3/G4 Accelerator
-AmiJoe

so...

I don't care about a small photograph of a part of a motherboard. Even if many people say "Look at this!!! it's real!!!". That happened before in the projects listed above.

Show me a video of OS4 running on that thing if you want to tease me. Not a tiny photograph of some unknown motherboard developed by some unknown hardware producer with unknown experience producing ¿working? motherboards.

And now please explain me why is this going to be cheaper and better than any other readily available hardware (1st or 2nd hand).

And show any proof about this hardware having an official license from Amiga Inc. And show me any proof of Hyperion going to release OS4 for that.

And please tell me that a 400Mhz cpu without L2 cache won't cost me 300¤ (VAT included) with OS4.

And please tell me it doesn't use any MAI northbridge...

Too many broken promises... too many fakes.

And when something is released someone says -look at this we made have our custom "amiga"- and I say -why not use tested solutions from other manofacturers instead of developing an unproved, untested and expensive solution?-

I would dream that at least it's a G4/G5 powered cpu but that would be dreaming too much. Too much logical. Let's use a G3 and give amigans 8 year technology wow! a wonderful travel to the sub-gigahertz era! we don't need speed because our OS is super optimized! it will allow you to encode video faster! and all that without vector units (several important people interested in selling us old stuff told us G4 sux so let's use a superior G3 technology. Who cares if G4 bus protocol is faster?)

I'm burned out... tired of promises and you know what? each day I care less and less.

Release something that works and stop talking and promising.

Genesi may be evil but at least delivers hardware. And it works quite well. Apple also released millions of powermacs and these machines will be cheap.

If you want to sell new machines to customers offer them Genesi hardware (Efika, Pegasos2 or QuadG5 OSW). But take advantage of the millions of 2nd hand powerMacs.

I prefer a powerbook or a 2nd hand G5 than a custom G3 level board without any real advantage.

This new hardware what will bring us? will they say AGAIN: "buy this from us regardless of the price and performance so we can release more hardware in the future"

When will I be able to run natively OS4 on a laptop? I guess that never... If they released it for PowerMacs I could run it on a G4/1.4Ghz laptop that could run rings around any hardware released in the next two years by any Amiga Inc partner. And mind you: a g4 is SLOW but it would be enough for me ATM until they can offer real interesting hardware (maybe a Cell/MPC8641D based machine?)

What price this piece of photograph will have? Efikas will cost less than 250¤. BBRV talk about 99$ final price. Will these italians try to charge me 300¤ for a 400Mhz cpu?

Releasing a photograph of a small part of a motherboard is stupid. Show me a video of the thing running OS4. Then tell me price, features and where can I buy it. Tell me that if I order it now it will be in my home in 10 days.

BTW: Eyetech has shown 3 times (AmigaOneSE, AmigaOneXE, MicroA1) that developing custom expensive and slow ("you don't need so much speed") solutions won't expand much the current amiga market. Now it's time to try to use reasily available solutions (for example powermacs). I don't mind waiting 5 years until they can sell me a Cell based computer if I can run OS4 on a iMac G5 or a powermac g4 or mac mini...

Last edited by Crumb on 31-Aug-2006 at 08:59 AM.

dirigent 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 9:03:19
#208 ]

@Crumb

I think it's nice to know what kind of developments are taking place (also, IF someone is working on something), so I appreciated Ikir's "clue". True, there have been many difficulties in the past, but do you want to be notified only when it's in the shops tomorrow? I mean, if you are not interested in news and developments which are not yet ready for official public disclosure, why do you read Amiga-related forums?? 8)

Seer 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 9:13:22
#209 ]
Team Member

@dirigent

Because it's the same with X86 threads, port to peg threads and bash bill (gates/buck/mcewen) threads.

Ami603 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 9:23:47
#210 ]
Cult Member

@Crumb

Such failed developments/broken promises is what has brought to this community these levels of silence, and almost no info about current developments at all.So i can understand at some point ikir's excitement,it's not difficult at all to try and share your emotions when you know something, but cannot share because of NDA/whatever.I'm somewhat angry as well because of the "teasing" nature of such comments, but at least we know that "something" is in the works, and is near completion.

About the proven and tested solutions, those were unproven and untested back when they started developing them, thus everyone has rights to try and solve the problem with it's own resouces/ideas.Everyone praised at Bplan Designs (Pegasos,Efika) because they were made by a good reputation Amigan.Well, the ones we are commenting now are as well started by a good reputation Amigan/s, so why not let them try? maybe these new solutions might be proven successfull (in whatever areas they fit) as well, maybe better, maybe worse.If nobody tried to apply his own ideas to a proven successfull solutions, there wouldn't be innovation at all.

A1200/030 32Mb
A4000D
A1-X1000.

OldFart 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 9:24:50
#211 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Crumb

Quote:
Show me a video of the motherboard working if you want.

What do you expect to see? A heavily throbbing processor maybe? Peristaltic activity in SATA-cables perhaps?

I, for one, like these teasers. Videos do show so little actually.

Hm, reminds me of a course I ran some 20-odd years ago to get acquainted to IBM's S/36. While not being a very fast machine, according to the course master it was extremely fast in database queries. So she made, yes it was a lady, a query on the database and that very same instant results were shown on a large screen. That was real fast!

Only.... there was something on the screen that made me laugh out loud, as I always do when seeing something this funny: there was a black bar on the screen that slowly moved from top to bottom. And then again and again. At that time these bars were known as VHS-sync bars: the video recorder was slightly out of sync with the screen.
So, the results of the query did not directly stem from the database, but had been recorded on tape. In practice such queries took ages! So much for video.

OldFart

Crumb 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 9:54:19
#212 ]
Elite Member

@Ami603

I just hope (in this order):

1. It works and can be bought with OS4 in less than 6 months

2. It has competitive features

3. It has competitive price

Last edited by Crumb on 31-Aug-2006 at 09:54 AM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 10:01:43
#213 ]
Team Member

@Crumb

Only 3.5 weeks till we get an answear to that

Mark 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 10:40:38
#214 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:

"not preclude" means "would NOT prevent or NOT prohibit". You can still have forum
threads AND news threads on the same topics. I was only referring to the -additional-
place where our developers, Hyperion, AI, whoever chooses to use it...could post
the information they wish to disclose without having other posts interrupt.
If one of these folks simply wanted to use this space to link to their own web
site, great! The goal is just to have a central starting place for all the important
information that the members so crave.
Hoping this clarifies that point.

Cast your eyes to the left in the Features menu is "OS4Zone", which is hardly ever used and for exactly this sort of thing.

Mark

Dandy 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 10:47:05
#215 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@Colin_Camper

Hey - what's that?
"Screenshot" of OS4 running on an mobile phonie?

And you are sure you're satified with it's resolution?

If the display is already that much miniaturised - how about the "keybord" then?

Are a microscope and a needle included to find the keys and to press them?

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 11:01:31
#216 ]
Elite Member

@xeron

Quote:

xeron wrote:
@AmigaBlitter
Anyway, I hope this Samantha project brings new users to OS4.

Hmmmmm - I would expect that OS4 brings new users to OS4, when it's finally available...

The hardware without the OS won't bring any new users to it...

Dandy

xeron 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 12:09:22
#217 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@Dandy
Surely, its obvious to anyone with a single brain cell that I meant "samantha" running OS4 would bring new users to OS4, and therefore by extension I hoped samantha would run OS4.

JurassicC 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 12:30:09
#218 ]

I've heard rumours of another board called moana .... whatever...
are these red herrings to pull us away from samantha in the way the original amiga team talked about joysticks etc etc.
This picture in the same web directory as the small wb grab show moana being a zx81.

http://www.amigasoft.net/misc/moana.jpg

Or are they just planting red herrings for us to find ? ..... you guys

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 14:03:12
#219 ]
Cult Member

Holas Ami603 y Crumb. Hace tiempo que no os pasais por el canal. Saludos!!!!

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Metalheart 
Posted on 31-Aug-2006 15:49:50
#220 ]
Elite Member

@JurassicC

>This picture in the same web directory as the small wb grab show moana being a zx81.

Was the ZX81 realy THAT simple I've seen radio's that were more complex

Cool !

Martin

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle