Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  55 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 A1200:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  ACK-News?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
polka. 
Re: ACK-News?
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 14:17:35
#181 ]

@Tomas

Quote:
Am i missing something here?

No. There is absolutely no info from him. But at least there is not another promise from him. Did anyone count how often he has promised a product or that the license will soon be sorted out with _nothing_ happening in the end?

If he just tells us about his projects to get us all excited about it, why doesn't he finally post some photos about his ongoing projects? After having failed about 8 times to deliver _anything_ he can hardly believe that anyone still cares about "yet another announcement". But the Amigans never fail to surprise me.

Profile     Report this post  
Yssing 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 15:33:54
#182 ]

@ACk >> Best of luck, I am waiting with lots of hope :)

Kronos 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 16:00:18
#183 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
But at least there is not another promise from him.

Actually there is, and I wouldn't be suprised if he breaks that again (by doing another announcement-annoucement).

wegster 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 16:25:42
#184 ]
Elite Member

@Kluz

Quote:

Kluz wrote:
@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
@yoodoo2

... or IBM themselves. Now THAT would be surprising!

Maybe you aren't wrong at all.....
Do you remember this quote form 25 questions with Bill McEwen?

Bill: "......We then went further and paid tens of thousands of more dollars to have OS 4 ported to the IBM PowerPC 405 embedded processor and had OS 4 running on the Arctic reference platform. This was in partnership with IBM and we were very excited about the prospects and looking forward to building several new hardware platforms in partnership with Hyperion. "

I bet that Amiga Inc. is strongly connected with IBM and that we will soon see Amiga hardware manufactured by IBM (or supervised). Maybe this will not be the first hardware announced in next few days, but surely Amiga Inc. sounds very decisive to present new hi-end product.

Anyway Amiga Inc. needs strong hardware partner, and if you ask me who would be better than IBM!?
IBM is able to design and produce hardware in shortest timeframe!

Wow. I hope you're not serious?

IBM has ZERO interest in making desktop boards nowadays- their desktop and laptop divisions are gone. Even before that, they wouldn't touch anything expected to sell less than in the hundreds of thousands of units.

Forget IBM, it's a total pipe dream.

Hitback 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 17:11:52
#185 ]

@Tomas

When will we in this community learn that we can't belive something until we actually see it working. Untill we get an acknolgement from Hyperion that a licenes was obtain and firmware was writen to have it run OS4. these announcements about an annoucement coming soon always fall so short because the same people who make them over and over and over again just do so because there are those of us who would belive anything. Come on guys how may times must he cry wolf before we finally realize that it is time to just ignore them and concentrate on thos individuls that have actually delivered something.

Kluz 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 17:41:05
#186 ]

@wegster

You're probably right that IBM as desktop manufacturer is just a dream!
IBM DOES need several hundred of thousands of units expected to sell to start a production.

My opinion is that everything that is worked on till now (A1, AOS4), all that is currently working on (PV TL, Samantha, Panda) is useless if Amiga platform will be sold in couple of thousands pieces.

OS4 is released 15 days ago, this is it zero point.
It must be developed to support IBM cell processor so that Amiga can gain more publicity among others who don't know anything about it, or those who knew it from long lost days.
OS4 must follow this path to the future, and as I've read both Frieden brothers and Bill McEwen sated that they will focun on CELL processor in the near future.
If AmigaOS4 becomes popular and selling more and more and eventually goes for CELL
in version 4.x, than IBM will be involved directly or indirectly in Amiga platform.
Trust me my friend, in world of computers nothing is thrown in trashcan especially a name like Amiga, not even by the giant like IBM.
I think they put Amiga "on hold" waiting for the right time to see how things are developing, and then they will just jump in or not.

They are currently in process of buyout a big world-wide company (for which I currently work as a partner-dealer) started a year ago, will be finished in a year- and when it's over they'll just announced "we bought them" and then I'll find myself working for IBM.

Just like that they can buy Amiga if it becomes a success and platform of the future becomes IBM AMIGA. You may say I'm a dreamer but it is possible!
NOT NOW, NOT THIS YEAR!
2008... MAYBE!

If everything else fails OS4 should go for PS3!

Regarding PS3 and X-BOX360, both have PowerPC processors!
With Apple gone from PPC scene, a huge gap was created which Amiga should fill and expand this very small market.

For this reason we should support (NOT JUDGE THEM) all the people who are currently working on their prototypes especially Adam for whom, I think, has the most powerfull project among others. If he replace TSI 109 with 110, this will make a perfect Amiga for now!

wegster wrote:
Quote:

Wow. I hope you're not serious?

P.S. Let's say I'm semi-serious

jorkany 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:11:51
#187 ]
Cult Member

@Kluz
Quote:
You're probably right that IBM as desktop manufacturer is just a dream!
IBM DOES need several hundred of thousands of units expected to sell to start a production.

You don't seem to understand - IBM doesn't start production of desktop systems anymore.

Quote:
My opinion is that everything that is worked on till now (A1, AOS4), all that is currently working on (PV TL, Samantha, Panda) is useless if Amiga platform will be sold in couple of thousands pieces.

I agree completely and empirical evidence also backs this up.

Quote:
If AmigaOS4 becomes popular and selling more and more and eventually goes for CELL
in version 4.x, than IBM will be involved directly or indirectly in Amiga platform.

Sure, but not necessarily any more than they were in the development of the AmigaOne. Do you understand the relationship of a component vendor?

Quote:
Trust me my friend, in world of computers nothing is thrown in trashcan especially a name like Amiga, not even by the giant like IBM.

Tell that to Taligent, Shoutcast, Apollo, etc.

Quote:
I think they put Amiga "on hold" waiting for the right time to see how things are developing, and then they will just jump in or not.

That's a great way to run a business! I'll have to try that. Oh wait, I like making money not losing it...

Quote:
They are currently in process of buyout a big world-wide company (for which I currently work as a partner-dealer) started a year ago, will be finished in a year- and when it's over they'll just announced "we bought them" and then I'll find myself working for IBM.

Non sequitur?

Quote:
Just like that they can buy Amiga if it becomes a success and platform of the future becomes IBM AMIGA. You may say I'm a dreamer but it is possible!
NOT NOW, NOT THIS YEAR!
2008... MAYBE!

Well, that's a pretty big "if". Your best bet is to keep dreaming.

Quote:

Sure, why not! After all that's what most people are buying PS3s for: to run desktop software.

Quote:
Regarding PS3 and X-BOX360, both have PowerPC processors!
With Apple gone from PPC scene, a huge gap was created which Amiga should fill and expand this very small market.

What market is that, the people who want PPC systems at any expense? From the looks of things Apple took their user base with them. You just don't see too many PPC desktop stragglers out there looking for a replacement PPC desktop - most Apple computer users were using Apple because it's Apple. When the time comes to replace it they'll just buy a new Mac.

Quote:
For this reason we should support (NOT JUDGE THEM) all the people who are currently working on their prototypes especially Adam for whom, I think, has the most powerfull project among others. If he replace TSI 109 with 110, this will make a perfect Amiga for now!

What evidence is there that ACK is working on anything? You gotta admit, it would be a lot easier to believe these "companies" if a single one of them could accomplish any of their stated goals.

You'd have a much stronger argument if you could explain how IBM would benefit by producing Amiga hardware. Keep in mind that IBM already decided they weren't benefitting enough from making PCs.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:16:12
#188 ]
Elite Member

@Kluz
Quote:

What is the point? Third party OSes dont even have access to things like the gpu.

neonlite 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:24:18
#189 ]

@m3x

>Just to be clear: "from our side" refers to the "Trio" (Soft3, VirtualWorks and AHG) >and our news is unrelated from the one mentioned by ACK

well,since ACK news went bust,I expect you to be more serious,i hope you are...;)
you said in 10 days,that'll be in what...5 more days

please,please don't dissapoint us about this news at least....

will it be before the weekend?

oh,by the way,is the news Amiga related or...just samantha related?

neonlite 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:28:24
#190 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@Kluz
Quote:

What is the point? Third party OSes dont even have access to things like the gpu.

there is much point,it would mean potential new users,it would mean getting OS4 on CELL ppc structure(which Hyperion guys mentioned)...that is a step ahead to cell desktops in future

Rob 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:42:06
#191 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:
Quote:

The Sony documentation says that third party OS's don't currently support access to the GPU. I believe that currently the only third party OS is Linux. Linux is open source. Sony want to protect their technology.

Perhaps the situation will be different for closed source Operating Systems.

madtrekker 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 18:53:32
#192 ]

@Rob

Quote:
Perhaps the situation will be different for closed source Operating Systems.

Why would it? The whole idea of locking out the 3D hardware is so that people can't bypass Sony's licensing fees by making games for the hosted hardware.

I don't know what the big deal with this is anyway. You don't need 3D hardware to do most computing tasks, and if you want to play games - well then, you have a PS3, so you're sorted!

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 19:38:39
#193 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
The Sony documentation says that third party OS's don't currently support access to the GPU. I believe that currently the only third party OS is Linux. Linux is open source. Sony want to protect their technology.

On the IBM ps3 linux site, it says that no third party OS has access to the gpu due to restrictions that sony has added to the console This means that it is not something that can be solved with drivers and that we will always be stuck with this. I dont see why it would be different for closed source? It is only the default OS that get direct access to it.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Jan-2007 19:39:53
#194 ]
Elite Member

@madtrekker

Quote:
Why would it? The whole idea of locking out the 3D hardware is so that people can't bypass Sony's licensing fees by making games for the hosted hardware.

exactly

Radov 
Posted on 5-Feb-2007 20:06:24
#195 ]

**** bump ****

Sorry for diging it up - don't want to start YAHT - Yet Another Hardware Topic:)

The first month of the year (instead of week) passed away... Can we hear any news?

I have some skills and ideas that can be developed for Amiga community - but can't do that without hardware....

while(true) cout<<"all work and no OS4 hardware makes Konrad a dull boy ";

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 5-Feb-2007 20:07:47
#196 ]
Cult Member

@Radov

Nothing's happened and more to the point, nothing's going to happen.

Legion 
Posted on 5-Feb-2007 21:36:33
#197 ]
Cult Member

@TheDungeonDelver

Quote:
Nothing's happened and more to the point, nothing's going to happen.

Please list what facts you have supporting this conclusion.

Insanity 
Posted on 5-Feb-2007 21:56:58
#198 ]

@Legion

He's just fishing for some mudslinging.
(track record aside)

Last edited by Insanity on 05-Feb-2007 at 09:57 PM.

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

Cheese 
Posted on 5-Feb-2007 21:59:04
#199 ]

@Legion

rotflmao

Last edited by Cheese on 05-Feb-2007 at 10:01 PM.

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

Comi 
Posted on 6-Feb-2007 15:13:16
#200 ]
Cult Member

Where is ACK?
Any NEWS about something on irc or anywhere?

Last edited by Comi on 06-Feb-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle