Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 Rassilon:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 Ratta:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  ACK-News?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
PosterThread
cope 
Re: ACK-News?
Posted on 16-Apr-2007 2:42:52
#241 ]
Cult Member

@elatour
If I may wade in here. Justin Hemmingsof LiveWired sold me my XE. He worked in a thoroughly professional way while being friendly and accommodating. He even threw in extra parts and transferred all my stuff over from my A3000 at no charge. Adam I only met once for a short while. He seemed like a hard working lad. Drove all night from Niagra area to Ottawa and then worked like a beaver to make fixes. I did suspect that he was skating on the edge to make things happen. I hope he is well and that he is able to be part of the team to bring us more options. I also hope everyone gets their machines. There seems to be some very fair people working in the background to make sure we all end up happy. Good luck and good skill to them all.
Best,
John Paul

Profile     Report this post  
Ivan 
Posted on 16-Apr-2007 7:56:20
#242 ]

@cope

Do you or anyone have a current phone number and/or email for Justin or Adam? I've tried soo many times to call/email/etc Adam and havent gotten a response. Maybe Justin can help.

PM me the number, no need to post it for morons to harass them. I really dont want them puling the phone off the hook before i get a chance to talk to them. :P

Kneedeep 
Posted on 17-Apr-2007 21:58:43
#243 ]

@COBRA

Quote:
Chip also sent him an XE board to be fixed, it took him ages to get it back. Adam is not a thief, but he is not very reliable, you have to keep nagging him.

Very interesting. I am close to two years now of waiting for my board return. Yes, I have tired calling, email, and chatting and done so for a week at a time..

I really like Adam, seems to be a wonderful person. I do not believe that he is out to cheat anyone. As stated he could use some help with organization, yes.

I am not going to get into a bash about what he has done, but wanted it noted that he has done good things for the community.

I for one do not see what good will come of bashing him. It is what it is. I believe that it really make my or others chances of getting our boards back worse than it is now.

What are my options? More waiting, after all I am an Amiga user

elatour 
Posted on 24-Apr-2007 4:26:58
#244 ]
Cult Member

@number6

That is hardly confirmation of him being part owner of the business. Justin Hemmings was the guy who's address and phone number was on site and his wife's home business was what credit card billing went through...It was/is called Pitter Patter or something along those lines. Like I said, I'm not sure what their association was, but to my knowledge, the primary face behind the business was Justin.

I'll say this much however. I'd buy hardware from Justin any day of the week, while Adam on the other hand, based on what I've seen up until now, I'd have think twice, three, four and five times before doing so.

I seriously hope that he manages to partner with someone else with a better rep. Saddly, he's going to have to shake the impression he's left with too many people in the community before he can regain these people's trust again.

Last edited by elatour on 24-Apr-2007 at 04:32 AM.

asian 
Posted on 24-Apr-2007 5:27:23
#245 ]

ACK Controls claimed that he is working together with Amiga Inc for the past 12 months in designing new hardware. It's strange than on June 2006, Amiga Inc (Ray Akey) said that they did not know anything about the future of hardware from ACK. Ray Akey was angry at members who ask information about ACK Controls.

ACK does not have any website, address, phone, fax etc.
There is no information about :
1. What is their background, experience, previous products, partners, size of company. production capacity etc.
2. Do they have gross revenue of more than US$ 500,000 / year?
3. What about support/warranty, ROHS compliance, UL, ISO certificate?
4. Does the product support various embedded OS/real time OS?
5. Is it possible to expand/customize the board using FPGA?
6. Is there any mil-spec / hardened version?

From the forum at amiga.com (June 17, 2006):

>asian wrote:
>There is an announcement from ACK about delays because of medical problems.
>Is this PV product just a hoax / scam?
>Is there any other person in the company beside the designer?
>If this is not a scam, do they plan to sell the design to other company?

Answer from Ray Akey:
"I would request that you not bring supposition and accusations about Adam's product(s) to these forums. The questions raised by you here are not serious questions any one of us can answer, as none of us know Adam's intent. As these sorts of discussions are already going on in other forums, there is no need to rehash them here. We will find out what is going on if and when Adam releases another statement. Until that time, we'll give Adam the benefit of the doubt. And with that, this topic is now locked. Ray A. Akey"

CodeSmith 
Posted on 24-Apr-2007 7:10:23
#246 ]
Elite Member

@asian

In all fairness, accusing someone of running a scam is the same thing as accusing them of being a thief, and that is a pretty serious accusation. I think if you'd said he was incompetent, or at worst a liar, Ray wouldn't have come down on you so hard.

Hammer 
Posted on 24-Apr-2007 11:06:48
#247 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:

IBM has ZERO interest in making desktop boards nowadays- their desktop and laptop divisions are gone. Even before that, they wouldn't touch anything expected to sell less than in the hundreds of thousands of units.

Refer to http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20051215222042.html

"The Yamato reference platform has been developed jointly by AMD, IBM Japan as well as NVIDIA Corp".

AMD's Yamato refers to Turion 64 X2(K8L) based reference laptop design.

IBM has some interest in PC laptop market i.e. involved in both AMD's CPU process technology and reference board designs. Also, in Opteron HTT socket infrastructure for the future POWER7.

Last edited by Hammer on 24-Apr-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 24-Apr-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 24-Apr-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 24-Apr-2007 11:55:56
#248 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Colin_Camper wrote:
@ReverseGTR

Quote:
Surpisingly enough though Commodre does exist, again.

Yes and unlike previously (and interestingly), their website is positioned more and more talking about Jack Tramiel and past hardware successes....

and this.....

Quote:
Products due for release soon include a new generation of the Commodore 64 joystick, which adds game download functionality to the features that made its predecessor famous (direct connectability to TV and PC). Other products in the pipeline include game consoles for use with mobile phones.

I see they are bringing out their own version of the 64. The mobile phone console sounds suspiciously like AmigaDE. It's not a leap of faith to imagine that they would be very interested in relaunching the Amiga desktop line using their own hardware and OS4.

Commodore also plans to sell gaming centric PCs i.e. GPUs equiped ranges from Geforce 8500 to Geforce 8800 SLI. Refer to
http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Game+PC/Gaming+PC+overview.aspx

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 24-Apr-2007 18:37:33
#249 ]

@Hammer

Yea, but they are only currently available in Southern Ireland and are fairly expensive. There are also rumours about it including C64/Amiga game emulators as well. Which I wonder how well that would bode with the new Amiga.inc.

But in other news it appears that Amiga.inc has restarted their grass roots teating hype machine for OS4 and has posted one of their press release on their deal with ACK Control on TGDaily and then found its way onto Gizmodo and sister site Engadget.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/amiga-announcing-two-pcs-next-week-254851.php

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/24/amiga-returns-to-the-hardware-game-promises-two-new-ppc-desktop/

Last edited by ReverseGTR on 24-Apr-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 24-Apr-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 24-Apr-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 24-Apr-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 24-Apr-2007 at 06:41 PM.

asian 
Posted on 26-Apr-2007 23:18:06
#250 ]

> Making accusation

On December 2005, I had posted information about new hardware from ACK controls on Amiga.Com's forum. Unfortunately there is no reply at all.

I AM NOT making any accusation. I am just ASKING.

There are many hoax / scam / vaporware projects related to Amiga platform, including hardware based on Escena chipsets (approved by Amiga Inc).

If Mr Adam K. REALLY works with Amiga Inc for the past 12 months, it is STRANGE that Amiga Inc does not know anything about the status of the project on June 2006. AT LEAST they can confirm / give information that the prototype REALLY exist, but at that time the prototype was unfinished/buggy.

IMO to survive ACK Controls must find new markets in embedded applications/ outside the small AmigaOS market. The board should support multiple Embedded OS and customizable with FPGA, support external PCI Express, HTX, UWB wireless USB or others.

jorkany 
Posted on 26-Apr-2007 23:37:09
#251 ]
Cult Member

Ah, memories!

gary_c 
Posted on 27-Apr-2007 2:59:13
#252 ]
Cult Member

@asian

Quote:
If Mr Adam K. REALLY works with Amiga Inc for the past 12 months, it is STRANGE that Amiga Inc does not know anything about the status of the project on June 2006. AT LEAST they can confirm / give information that the prototype REALLY exist, but at that time the prototype was unfinished/buggy.

You are being much too logical and reasonable, asian. Please keep in mind that announcements such as this one by Amiga, Inc. are made for a reason that may be entirely unrelated to the content of the announcement. It was in Amiga, Inc.'s interest to "make headlines" at this particular time, thus the essentially content-free hardware announcement. Perhaps the reason is related to the Kent arena naming-rights agreement, or perhaps this and the naming-rights agreement are both for some other reason, possibly related to attracting investors. In any case, don't look too hard for links to reality. As Amiga, Inc. shows by its self-description at amiga.com and in news releases, reality is a very nebulous concept, and a good PR writer feels no need to limit himself/herself to nonfiction. (All of this IMHO, of course.)

-- gary_c

Hans 
Posted on 27-Apr-2007 3:10:58
#253 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

Quote:

gary_c wrote:
As Amiga, Inc. shows by its self-description at amiga.com and in news releases, reality is a very nebulous concept, and a good PR writer feels no need to limit himself/herself to nonfiction. (All of this IMHO, of course.)

IMHO, a good PR writer does not need to resort to the use of fiction.

Hans

HammerD 
Posted on 27-Apr-2007 5:49:27
#254 ]
Cult Member

@all

I just thought I would wade into this thread. I know Adam. I bought my MicroA1 "C" off him along with elatour at the Ottawa Amiga show. I actually think I convinced elatour (a long time Amiga user - I was always envious of his Commodore (yes C=) A4000T ! :) to purchase the MicroA1 as well. He was very skeptical.

But both of us bought the MicroA1 from Adam (ACK) who was at the show demoing the board. While elatour had problems with power supply issues, my MicroA1 worked straight away in an Antec Aria case. I think elatour eventually got his working.

Anyway, 2 weeks after I bought my MicroA1 the cpu card died. I contacted LiveWire Systems and Adam got ahold of me and we arranged that I would drive to his HOME (which is luckily 2 hours away) and he would personally troubleshoot my Micro. He ended up replacing the cpu card with another one. No questions asked, I was home 5 hours later with a fully working Micro. At his place he had ALOT of AmigaOnes in various state of functionality. He had the MicroA1 "I" board there - yes it does exist!

From my experience with Adam he is an honest person who is really not making a cent of money off the Amiga. He has his Ack Controls business as a side business and he has other ventures that keep him busy 110% of the time, not to mention his family. He is a very busy person - one of those people who needs to be split into multiple pieces. He is smart and resourceful, but doesn't have alot of time. Always very busy.

I can't comment on why his PowerVixxen stuff was never released. Who knows. But I do believe that he has the technical capability to develop such hardware. Time is another matter.

Do I think the PowerVixxen derived work will end up being an Amiga product? Well if this press release about new hardware holds true I believe it will.

Bottom line: I think he is a very busy person, not perfect - no one is, but a genuine person. I've been to his house TWICE. He is a real person, but has real daily issues just like all of us.

I am hopeful that his work will finally come out now that Amiga Inc. seems to have the resources to make it happen.

ikir 
Posted on 27-Apr-2007 7:51:04
#255 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:
At his place he had ALOT of AmigaOnes in various state of functionality. He had the MicroA1 "I" board there - yes it does exist!

Very interesting, thanks! Damn now i want one of these

gary_c 
Posted on 27-Apr-2007 7:56:59
#256 ]
Cult Member

@Hans
You are right. I was being sarcastic (w/smiley).

-- gary_c

Ivan 
Posted on 5-May-2007 13:05:01
#257 ]

@all

Well shortly after my first reply here saying how Adam has stolen my Amiga he sent me a PM. After all the PM's i've sent him he finally responded yet only after i posted publicly about him. :/

Here is what he had to say:

Quote:

Sent: 16-Apr-2007 7:15:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CPU is fine.

Ivan,

I will be shipping your repaired machine back this week.
*snipped*

Notice the date, apr 16 2007. It's now may 5 2007. Far more than a week right? In fact it's been 3 weeks.

More lies and bs from this guy and i've gotten messages here from a couple people who have also been ripped off by this con artist. I replied to his pm as soon as i got it, of course, no response.

I don't care how busy people say this guy is, there is no reason he can't find a box and ship a machine out. He sure had the time when he was selling XE's. Where is his time now that he has responsibilities to other people?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle