Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 kolla:  57 mins ago
 saimon69:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Frank:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 Lou:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
Jorge 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:00:25
#61 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
I think that Sony has wanted to take the idea and spirit of the Amiga but has not known implement it

Heck, not even Amiga back then knew what they were doing. Sometimes things just happen.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:05:51
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

Quote:
Says who ? OO 2.x (incl. Impress) and Eclipse 3.1 (incl CELL SDK and JAVA runtime/sdk - I have yet to take a closer look at CDT) is part of YDL5/PS3. Both work fine. BTW: "The Gimp", too.

So will the PS3 be sold as an equivalent of a Desktop Dynamite pack including keyboard/mouse/printer and of course Linux?

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:16:20
#63 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

PS3, Keyboard, mouse, Linux bundle... Surely!

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:17:19
#64 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
So will the PS3 be sold as an equivalent of a Desktop Dynamite pack including keyboard/mouse/printer and of course Linux?

I don't know. The PS3 Linux community is pretty growing (BTW: cups is integrated, too - because you mentioned the printer). One has even manged to get v4l to run and made a USB2 TV tuner to work. Turns the PS3 into an PVR.

I am pretty sure Sony will come up with a KB/Mouse combo any time soon (guess there might be a reason why the x bar supports both KB and mouse now with the 1.5 update), and maybe sometimes soon, they might pack YDL into the PS3 shelf. Who knows. It's just 2 month on the market (and almost outsold all Amigas ever sold).

IMO Amiga (OS) missed an opportunity. They should have an prototype running on it already.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:33:23
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

Quote:
I am pretty sure Sony will come up with a KB/Mouse combo any time soon (guess there might be a reason why the x bar supports both KB and mouse now with the 1.5 update), and maybe sometimes soon, they might pack YDL into the PS3 shelf. Who knows. It's just 2 month on the market (and almost outsold all Amigas ever sold).

It's imperative that Sony capitalise on this functionality to give them an advantage over the Xbox360. A the moment there's no reason to buy a PS3 over the M$ machine!

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:37:30
#66 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
A the moment there's no reason to buy a PS3 over the M$ machine

In your opinion. This clearly does not apply to me.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:41:29
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

I just mean that the extra £120 is not justified for a tilting controller/a Blu-Ray player that I'm unlikely to use straight away and the ability to play Resistance-Fall of Man. The ability to use it as a computer would clinch it for me (but then again so would the release of Warhawk - if it's good)!

P.S. I not even considering buying an Xbox 360 yet but GTA 4 is coming!

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2007 at 04:42 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:46:37
#68 ]
Elite Member

More recent quotes:

Mike Ball, co-founder of Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword), speaking to Eurogamer.

"There's lots to explore and the deeper you get the more varied the life forms - sometimes horrific, sometimes beautiful."

"Personally I really love the SPUs as they have exceeded our performance expectations and we've got a lot of them to play with."

"Currently the machine offers a massive leap in gaming and multimedia performance. However, this is only the start of what will undoubtedly be an amazing evolution over the next few years as developers become more and more familiar with the hardware"

Heavenly Sword will be available during the first half of 2007.

Jorge 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:50:53
#69 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

While I respect your opinion, and I can even understand it. I know that some people don't see the additional features worth the $200 (even though, it would cost the same to upgrade e.g. the 360). But some will simply not need those extra things (some people however deny that they exist). And thats fine with me. In that case the 360 or the Wii (or even a PS2) might be the better choice. (or even a PC or an Amiga(One)).

But thats a free market after all. And that's why it gives people a choice. I don't try to convince anyone, I am just reporting what was my personal choice. Nothing else. Somehow/sometimes I feel attacked because I have made this choice. Thats kinda strange, though.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 16:56:15
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge

No way, don't feel attacked, its your money after all. Thanks for the info about PS3 Linux and its capabilities/promising posibilities As I say all it would take (in my opinion) would be one killer ap game (Warhawk or GTA4 are the likely candidates in my book) and I'd probably hop on the good train PS3 along with you It's just that it is a lot of money but yeah it has a lot of features.

ikir 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 17:04:02
#71 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I don't know but these screenshots looks amazing, very detailed.

vision 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 17:24:20
#72 ]

@MikeB

even the 360 is the biggest flop in the world, that does not change even a micron the fact that the ps3 failed already.

And that not justify that you are poisoning even more this community with these stupid polls and propagandas to make us adore the product of one of the most hated companies in the world.

It doesn´t matter how much you waste your energies spreading the tales and marketing of a company that I don´t know if provide you some revenues, but it is a total unrespect for the amiga community that you infect this page with lies just to make your private bussiness., nobody here except the usual fanboys are believeing you anymore.

@all

For those really interested in the ps3: congratulations! you can buy them now in japan: they are selling them with a 20% discount in the price. (wow, what a success!)

Or wait a bit until the sony sales start in your own country (ahahahahha)

Last edited by vision on 26-Jan-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Last edited by vision on 26-Jan-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 17:28:04
#73 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Does you have a job as a spokesperson for Sony's PR department? None of these developers you quote will be signing up to create games for OS4 on PS3. I can and do read the actual quotes from the orginal sources as it is, but I also read all the negative ones which you gloss over or pretend do not exist.

@ all still in denial about PS3 availability:
NPD numbers don't lie. Just because you may live in a low population area where your area will not get that many units allocated to (or historically doesn't warrant the allocation) it doesn't mean that you are representative of the entire North America. My advice if you want one so bad, take a train to Massachusetts (or to a major metro area) and buy one. If you can't afford a PS3, well, you are then another statistic in the "why do PS3's sit on the shelves" tabulation.

If you will buy one "when the price comes down" you just need not post. You are a statistic. Keep hoping this message changes, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22360 ,and keep saving your pennies...

nevermind, I'll quote it since that's the thing to do:
Quote:
SCEA boss Jack Tretton has warned that it will be hard to cut the cost of PS3 as the machine is so expensive to make - but according to reports, some Japanese retailers have already slashed 20 per cent off the RRP.
When asked in an interview with US magazine Game Informer whether PS3 price cuts be "as soon or as drastic" as they were for PS2 Tretton replied, "No... There's a heck of a lot more under the hood and it costs us more money to make it."
But although he conceded it will be "a lot more difficult to cost reduce" PS3, Tretton said that consumers will still be willing to pay the asking price.
"I think the consumers that get their hands on a PlayStation 3 clearly see the value and not only want to buy one for $599, in some instances they're willing to pay ridiculous prices to buy one on eBay," he concluded.
However, reports suggest that demand for the hardware is already slowing in Japan. According to Media Create figures the PS3 suffered its worst sales week so far earlier this month, and now there are claims that some retailers are drastically cutting the price of PlayStation 3.
As reported on Akibablog.net and partially translated by Kotaku, some shops are said to be reducing the price for the 20GB model from YEN 49,980 (EUR 315) to YEN 39,980 (EUR 253) - a drop of 20 per cent.
But market watchers PS3 wasn't the only console to experience a post-Christmas sales slump - Media Create's figures revealed that the numbers for Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 were also down during the same period.

Last edited by Lou on 26-Jan-2007 at 05:31 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 17:33:39
#74 ]
Elite Member

@vision

Quote:
even the 360 is the biggest flop in the world

The XBox 360 overall is selling slightly faster than the original XBox. With more than 8 million units sold if it's the biggest flop, what was the Amiga? How many units need to be sold in "Vision"'s book?

Quote:
he fact that the ps3 failed already

The PS3 has sold faster than the best selling PS2, I think very premature.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 17:39:24
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
t? None of these developers you quote will be signing up to create games for OS4 on PS3. I can and do read the actual quotes from the orginal sources as it is, but I also read all the negative ones which you gloss over or pretend do not exist.

That's not true, I quoted Carmack on some occasions. I just don't agree with these PC-games-company spokesmen perspectives. I have gone through great lengths explaining *my* point of view, I just quoted something in support of *my* views on the cell, I don't think that's really strange. IMO Heavenly Sword looks very impressive.

IMO let's get back on topic.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 17:56:44
#76 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
t? None of these developers you quote will be signing up to create games for OS4 on PS3. I can and do read the actual quotes from the orginal sources as it is, but I also read all the negative ones which you gloss over or pretend do not exist.

That's not true, I quoted Carmack on some occasions. I just don't agree with these PC-games-company spokesmen perspectives. I have gone through great lengths explaining *my* point of view, I just quoted something in support of *my* views on the cell, I don't think that's really strange. IMO Heavenly Sword looks very impressive.

IMO let's get back on topic.

Right, but we know your views. Then you quote more of the same type of stuff. Alot of it refers to potential.

I stated my view of what will happen in Europe and I get PR nonsense thrown at me as well as people who are oblivious to published sales figures. I don't keep quoting other sources that say the exact same thing. My opinion was based on ACTUAL sales figures, not mythical "potential".

I believe Europe has 1/2 the gamer base of North America. If 700k PS3's were sold in 6 weeks, in Europe 350k PS3's will be sold in 6 weeks and probably less since the holiday season is GONE. I don't care that John Q. Public from Smalltown, USA (I'm generalizing here) can't find one at the nearest Walmart 50 miles from the farm, the numbers don't lie.

Accept it.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 18:00:52
#77 ]
Elite Member

If Konami's Pro Evolition (Football) Soccer launched with the PS3 then I'll give you another 100k in sales AT BEST. 1,000,000 units on launch iday s going to ruin Sony's shareholder's day.

Last edited by Lou on 26-Jan-2007 at 06:02 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 18:13:20
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I believe Europe has 1/2 the gamer base of North America

Well Europe harbors more than 40 Million PS2 users, just like North America.

Quote:
Accept it.

http://www.consolewatch.com/

It seems in Canada of the major stores, only Future Shop still has some left for sale online. They sold many dozens since yesterday despite upping the price 40 Canadian dollars. Now they have less than 60 left in stock, surely supply is not meeting demand everywhere.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 06:14 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 18:18:48
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
1,000,000 units on launch iday s going to ruin Sony's shareholder's day.

Why? I think you don't realize retailers are easily buying 1 million units from Sony. If and how they sell from there on is the retailer's business. What would hurt Sony, is if they wouldn't be able to ship and sell to retail this many units.

That means more than 3 million PS3 units will end up in consumers hands. Enhancing the market prospects of HDTV (Sony is market leader) and Blu-Ray movies (Sony and MGM [Sony minority stake] have an impressive movie library).

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Jan-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Jan-2007 18:40:29
#80 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I don't want to debate numbers but the average PS2 owner I know, and many reported on the internet, has owned 3...because they break every 2 years roughly. If there were really 120million PS2's in use worldwdie like Sony claims, don't you think that ANY title released on the PS2 would dwarf the best-selling release on the other systems of that generation?

There was a website that totalled software titles that sold over 1 million copies by system. The last gen was alot closer than hardware sales would have you believe. Infact, the Gamecube had more 1M+ sellers than the Xbox when I last checked just over a year ago.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle