Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  22 mins ago
 A1200:  40 mins ago
 Hammer:  44 mins ago
 bendito:  53 mins ago
 matthey:  57 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 klx300r:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Torque:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  The second Dark Times
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
yoodoo2 
Re: The second Dark Times
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 12:16:43
#41 ]

@yoodoo2

Well hazy memories form one of BBRV's blogs a looong time ago.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Profile     Report this post  
tbrminsanity 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 14:06:23
#42 ]

@Stephen_Robinson

Quote:
95+% of computers run on closed source OSs.

That is technically wrong. The most widly used OS in the world is iTRON (used in everything from digital watches, cel phones, and other misc electronic devices). Chances are you have or are using an iTRON device and don't know it and it is open source.

Palm 3.5.3
Computers:
Cymru

umisef 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 15:10:26
#43 ]

@yoodoo2

Quote:
Well, Hyperion's accounting isn't wonderfully accurate.

Well, it's supposed to be. And being able to tell the difference between 2000 copies and 1000 copies does not require overly accurate accounting, either.

(Actually, I was a little shocked when I read that declaration --- seeing as Evert was trying to prove ongoing business use of the AmigaOS 4 name, he had every reason to exaggerate sales, and none to downplay them --- so "more or less 1000" probably means less, rather than more).

Quote:
Plus many A1s have changed hands, demonstrating additional demand

Uh, it also demonstrates people selling them, getting out of the game. Those people are not going to buy OS updates, now are they?

Last edited by umisef on 02-Aug-2007 at 03:12 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 15:35:54
#44 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:

(Actually, I was a little shocked when I read that declaration --- seeing as Evert was trying to prove ongoing business use of the AmigaOS 4 name, he had every reason to exaggerate sales, and none to downplay them --- so "more or less 1000" probably means less, rather than more).

Well I think I want to prove that has not been able to earn any money on the revenues from the AmigaOne-SE/XE/Miroro systems, he think he entitled to quote: “revenues stemming from distribution of Amiga OS 4.0 irrespective of the execution of the “buy in” clause which relates solely to subsequent versions (Amiga OS 4.1 and beyond).”

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz:8080/news/2007-05-01

Quote:

Uh, it also demonstrates people selling them, getting out of the game. Those people are not going to buy OS updates, now are they?

Well I think that good thing AmigaOne computers change hands, because there where many none developers that did buy AmigaOne-XE computers before there was any software for it, we need developers carry the platform forward, whit out any new hardware there no other way that can happen.

You might have notices that some do buy used AmigaOne after there first broke down too, the OS is great but we need new hardware.

Tigger 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 15:54:36
#45 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
@umisef

Well, Hyperion's accounting isn't wonderfully accurate. Plus, Carton is probably not including developers, EarlyBirds etc who didn't get the full packaged deal without forking out a little extra. Plus many A1s have changed hands, demonstrating additional demand (although some people have more than 1 machine).

I'm willing to split the difference and call it 1500

Carlton should (and I believe is) counting everyone of them, and you bring up a very interesting point which is one of the things that lead to the lawsuit. Some people bought OS4 for there A1s directly from Hyperion. There are at least two people on this board, who said they did that very thing, and thats interesting because I'm betting AI didnt get paid royalties for those sales, which would be clear violation of the contract, or at very least build a debt to AI which would reduce the cost for the OS.
-Tig

yoodoo2 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 16:45:31
#46 ]

@umisef

Quote:

It demonstrates people wanting to regain some of the £500+ spent on the A1 hardware, which some may have felt they weren't getting enough use of, not that they wanted out of the OS completely. A £50 quid investment would be far less of a problem for many users.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 16:47:00
#47 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
thats interesting because I'm betting AI didnt get paid royalties for those sales, which would be clear violation of the contract, or at very least build a debt to AI which would reduce the cost for the OS.

Agreed if that were the case, but the developers presumably got "free" copies which would therefore not be included in sales figures, but would be included in estimating the user base.

Crumb 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 20:21:05
#48 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

It seems A1 users hide under the rocks because I know more Pegasos than A1 users.

What I know for sure is that more than 400 Peg1 were produced and most of ArticiaS bought by bPlan were built in boards. I don't have much information about Peg2 but if you go to Morphzone most of users have a Peg2.

I think that the first batch of Efikas given to developers was around 150 units but now they are producing it in higher numbers, that's the reason the price has dropped.

Anyway most of Pegasos users are interested on a Pegasos III but Freescale doesn't produce MPC8641D in enough volume yet to plan a production run

Last edited by Crumb on 02-Aug-2007 at 08:22 PM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 20:41:03
#49 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:

We've talked about this -many- times on AW.
One reference, which even indicates that some numbers had been openly discussed even BEFORE the reference:

Quote:
@AtheistQuote:I'd like to know how many AmigaOnes SE/XE/micros are out there.

Working or total?It's been reported -many- times here on AW that there were about 300 Micros made.SE's still in use? I would guess a mere handful.So, if you really need a total, all you need to look at is the number of XEs.

Followed by another poster:

Quote:
I think 1000 Boards would be a good number (300 µA1 and 700 A1 SE/XE).

Now, since Adam has even given some detail about this on AW in regards to Eyetech (Alan), it would be hard to dispute the source of the info, imo.

Added: Last reference by Adam direclty on AW July 17, 2007:
Quote:
A little known fact is that Eyetech nearly decided to wait for the MicroA1-I from MAI. It was August 2004 when I had met with Jason and Alan and told Jason that I would buy the 300 Teron Minis (MicroA1-C) as I felt there was a demand for them. Alan pretty much decided to take them right after that.

Adam has discussed history of the project in irc as well...many times

Last edited by number6 on 02-Aug-2007 at 08:59 PM.

ironfist 
Posted on 2-Aug-2007 22:24:14
#50 ]
Cult Member

Crumb:
Known figures are:

* 600 Pegasos1, where most were upgraded twice
for free (April1 and 2).

* 400 EFIKAs were produced in the first batch and
were sent to developers.

Pegasos 2 and ODW numbers are classified.

Tigger 
Posted on 4-Aug-2007 3:22:15
#51 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
@Tigger

Agreed if that were the case, but the developers presumably got "free" copies which would therefore not be included in sales figures, but would be included in estimating the user base.

The free copies arent an issue (or at least less of one), as I said at least two people of this board have claimed they purchased OS 4, directly from Hyperion for there Amiga One boards at the price of $100 of so. The issue with that is AI didnt get a royalty on that unless there is a tranfer of money for Royalties from Hyperion to AI (or Hyperion to Eyetech to AI) that we havent seen yet. I'm also fairly sure that part of the whole Acube issue, was with them "fixiing" A1's, given the large number of broken (and never sold) A1s (terons) that were auctioned off from the MAI closure.
-Tig

yoodoo2 
Posted on 4-Aug-2007 11:06:36
#52 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
The free copies arent an issue

Well they were in my discussion, because I was claiming there might be a reasonably viable market for about 5000 users and offering some dodgy sales figures in support and extrapolating how many others might join in if there were no expensive hardware dongles.

The figures discussion had nothing to do with court cases at all.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle