Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 Lou:  6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  16 mins ago
 Chris_Y:  27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  44 mins ago
 zipper:  49 mins ago
 vox:  52 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Quake 3
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
EntilZha 
Re: Quake 3
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 10:41:51
#21 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Toaks

Quote:
i somewhat has to comment on this one, yes it might be one bug but it does happen frequently.

Actually, I've been over this stuff again, and there's not really any bug in Quake 3, at least not any bug that explains this freezing. What I noticed (see other post) is that most of these freezes happen when you try to run Q3 with too little stack (anything below 1 MB of stack doesn't work), and with only 256 MB of main memory.

I have not once have it freeze here, sorry, so I don't buy into that "it's buggy" anymore. It is a quick and dirty port, yes, but I have yet to see any of the bugs it allegedly has.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Profile     Report this post  
Deniil715 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 10:52:54
#22 ]
Elite Member

@EntilZha

Other freezes may be related directly with 3D. I don't think my Quake 3 freezes are because of small stack or low mem (well, sometime yes, but not generally) since all 3D programs freeze evetually on my system. And not only 3D, any large movement of gfx causes freezes, such as when trying to manage 7Mpx+ digicam prictures. VERY annoying.

May be because of the SB Audigy.

Hmm, come to think of it. I actually do get distorted audio when using WarpView and zoom in a large picture and rotate it 90 degrees in Z-direction. Oh, I so hope it's that VIA+SB bug I have and not a broken A1!!!

Rogue 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 12:32:58
#23 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Deniil715

Make sure you have the right CPU core voltage set (the #1 reason for unexplained crashes) and that you did not overclock the CPU (the #3 reason for unexplained crashes).

Deniil715 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 14:36:34
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Thanks. I used to have Vcore at 1.79V (on a 7455 designed for 1.85V) but it appeared too high as it got very hot even with a P-IV cooler on. I got it delivered at 1.59V but it wasn't stable so I raised it.

Now I run at 1.64V. I have changed PSU two times because one blew up and the replacement was too loud. The one I have now seems more stable (it was more expensive but not more powerful, 360W).

Come to think of it, I haven't tried 3D in quite a while. Maybe it works now. But the greatest instability I have now is when I try to start OWB which crashes during loading of .so files about 1/2 times I start it. Can't figure out why that is since the rest of the computer is stable running 24/7.

It's just that I'm afraid I can't use the compositing because of this!

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 14:40:15
#25 ]

@Deniil715

Do you have logs?

DBAlex 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 15:22:48
#26 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

Tried to find the problem with SnoopDOS?

Rogue 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 16:23:26
#27 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Deniil715

Quote:
But the greatest instability I have now is when I try to start OWB which crashes during loading of .so files about 1/2 times I start it. Can't figure out why that is since the rest of the computer is stable running 24/7.

Can you make a debug log? I'd be very interested to see that.

Deniil715 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008 23:03:43
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Right when you want a log you can make it crash, how typical. I had over 300MB RAM free.

However, after doing some (nondestructive) programming I managed to get a log. Now having about 260MB free. http://hem.bredband.net/deniil/Crashlog_OWB_2008-09-16_23-58-26.txt

I tried it once more and now the window opened, then crash: http://hem.bredband.net/deniil/Crashlog_OWB_2008-09-17_00-03-18.txt

Third time's a charm. Now it started. I have 164MB free now after loading google.

First time I started from IB on a hotlink. Second time also from IB using my simple home page above (without the crashlog). Third time from AmiDock.

Tried a fourth time from IB on the same page as the second time and now it started again.... Wierd eh?

Last edited by Deniil715 on 16-Sep-2008 at 11:07 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 17-Sep-2008 15:30:53
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

Quote:

The project got stalled in april but I could release it. MiniGL has got bugfixes since then.

Yes, Quake 3 exposed a number of bugs in MiniGL that have been fixed. This includes stuff that people were complaining about like walls disappearing. All of these fixes are in MiniGL 2.0 so I'd recommend that, when the new version of Q3 is released, people use MiniGL 2.0 instead of version 1.5.

Hans

Rogue 
Posted on 17-Sep-2008 15:43:56
#30 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Hans

Quote:
Yes, Quake 3 exposed a number of bugs in MiniGL that have been fixed. This includes stuff that people were complaining about like walls disappearing. All of these fixes are in MiniGL 2.0 so I'd recommend that, when the new version of Q3 is released, people use MiniGL 2.0 instead of version 1.5.

Which reminds me, I do have an issue with FS2_open/Freespace 2 with the lighting that I should really fix as well.

Rogue 
Posted on 17-Sep-2008 15:46:01
#31 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Deniil715

Thanks for the logs. This doesn't really look like what I expected to find.

I find it peculiar, though, that the IP in the first log points to a location in video ram... This doesn't look like it is an ELF library problem, as I originally expected...

Toaks 
Posted on 17-Sep-2008 17:39:59
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

thanks for the reply but i will have a chat with capehill and get the new versions, that said, my stack is always big and yes it does cut the crashes alot but not the ones i am talking about.

Will try the new version as soon as i get it.

as for your Freespace 2 comment, now that does sound very interesting :)

Deniil715 
Posted on 18-Sep-2008 10:24:25
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Thanks for the logs. This doesn't really look like what I expected to find.

I find it peculiar, though, that the IP in the first log points to a location in video ram... This doesn't look like it is an ELF library problem, as I originally expected...

Ok. Well, my other problems seem to relate to gfxs too:
1. 3D freezes after a short while. I actually tried Q3A again yesterday with 1.5MB stack and it froze 3 seconds after displaying the menu.

2. I can't load large images in for example PicShow. A 12Mpx digicam picture makes the computer freeze or something rather quickly, especially if I try to move it around in non-zoomed mode, or when I load the next picture. Got the same problem with another viewer too. PicShow however seems to do the most wierd things: Sometimes it switches of the monitor, as if accidently writing into a sleep register of the gfx card or something. Usually I just get a freeze (whizzing audio if playing) and a black screen, or the image as it were on the screen. Only the reset button works most of the times.

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9250 256MB. The recommended, right? I have yet to try to take out the sound card though...

Edit: I have removed SetA1 since a few weeks and run memtester all night (all 'ok') but there is no difference in this behaviour. IIRC I have always had this kind of problem. Perhaps a bit less with the Radeon 7000 and 3D (maybe it was slower on the bus and caused less conflicts with the sound card?). I have always had the SB Audigy though.

Last edited by Deniil715 on 18-Sep-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 20:31:36
#34 ]

@interested

There is an updated Q3 port on my site. It doesn't fix your freeze issues but you might want to test it out anyway. It sets up 2MB stack automatically and doesn't use $HOME env variable that has apparently given some grief for Cygnix users...?

Check it out at:

http://capehill.kapsi.fi

Thanks.

samo79 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 21:29:45
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

A lot of game updated

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Tuxedo 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 21:40:22
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

I tryed and it looks that works rather well...
It plays movies too that other dont...But...
Dont load my old player...
So I've to restart from beginning???
I'm on stage 4 now...
Any idea?
Thanks

Tuxedo 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 21:42:50
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

PS
Q3 closes WB and with right-Amiga+m cant see wb anymore if I dont exit from the game...why? Its needed from Q3?

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 21:45:24
#38 ]

@Tuxedo

Where the saves stored in .q3a? Try copying those to main directory.

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 21:46:55
#39 ]

@Tuxedo

Dunno, must be some fancy bug. I wondered it myself too one lonely night but forgot it then.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 6-Oct-2008 22:57:44
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

Tryed to copy config files from .q3a in baseq and got a REALLY weird thing...
Doing it I got back my saves but crash all the sound on whole AmigaOS and I can only hard reset with case button...
Any idea how to recover my saves without "burning" my Amy?
If not I've to replay the first 4 levels...
However that port seems to me really juch stable of previous...

GOOD WORK!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle