Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Lou

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Lou:  5 secs ago
 OlafS25:  34 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  40 mins ago
 zipper:  44 mins ago
 kolla:  46 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  55 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Minimig Review completed!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheDaddy 
Re: Minimig Review completed!
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 8:00:57
#41 ]
Elite Member

@All

From amiga.org post:

"Also, does the FPGA have to be reprogrammed every time you boot, or just the first time? How long does the programming process take?

And can you "store" its programming somehow (like you would do with a flash memory for instance) or is it just temporary until you switch it off?"

Does anyone know about this?

Profile     Report this post  
DualCrew 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 10:47:11
#42 ]

@TheDaddy

You can find the answer here:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~weeren001/

Thanks Hans i did'nt notice that

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 12:18:35
#43 ]
Elite Member

@DualCrew

I am confused, I don't understand what this means:

"Also, does the FPGA have to be reprogrammed every time you boot, or just the first time? How long does the programming process take?"

The FPGA doesn't need to be reprogrammed every ime you boot or does it?

and also:

"And can you "store" its programming somehow (like you would do with a flash memory for instance) or is it just temporary until you switch it off?"

Is this person confused or confusing?

Hans 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 13:50:42
#44 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@All

From amiga.org post:

"Also, does the FPGA have to be reprogrammed every time you boot, or just the first time? How long does the programming process take?

And can you "store" its programming somehow (like you would do with a flash memory for instance) or is it just temporary until you switch it off?"

Does anyone know about this?

The FPGA only needs to be programmed the first time you switch the device on. It's configuration bits are erased on power-down.

On power-on, you have to wait for the FPGA to program and for the ROMs to be loaded. Now push Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga (or the MiniMig equivalent). Do you have to wait for that again? Or does the insert disk icon come up almost immediately?

Hans

Hans

_Steve_ 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 14:22:31
#45 ]
Team Member

@Hans

There are youtube videos of a minimig booting, and it is pretty rapid. It appears the reset is automatic once the FPGA is configured and the kick.rom loaded.

The one problem I see at the moment is with the Fat16 FS used, as the code for that as best I could see, resides on the PIC (and not the FPGA). From what I have read, to reflash the PIC you need separate equipment as well as a PIC programmer (please correct me if I misunderstood this part). So to change that for FAT32 handling could be problematic. The only way around this that I have seen is if the PIC had the
TinyBootLoader
installed on it, which allows you to reprogram the PIC via a PC serial port.

Also from reading a review in Total Amiga with Jens Schoenfeld on the Clone-A, he says that Dennis based his approach in part in how UAE handles blitter functions, and so would not be as accurate as their logic probing approach. But as stated, the benefit of the FPGA is that it can be updated easily with a new replacement piece of code, so as software features are fixed and updated, the MiniMig owners will be able to update their firmware accordingly.

Last edited by _Steve_ on 01-Mar-2008 at 02:22 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 14:35:35
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

>>The FPGA only needs to be programmed the first time you switch the device on. It's configuration bits are erased on power-down.

That's what I thought as well, because everytime I switch my Minimig ON it just loads the KICK file and it's up and running, from the comments on amiga.org which I pastes befre I thought the guy meant it had to be re-programmed manually everytime which confused me big style!

>>On power-on, you have to wait for the FPGA to program and for the ROMs to be loaded. Now push Ctrl+Amiga+Amiga (or the MiniMig equivalent). Do you have to wait for that again? Or does the insert disk icon come up almost immediately?

On power on, it loads the KICK and displays all the fancy colours (like decrunching)then when you do a CTRL+A+A reset it just resets like a normal A500 and back to the request for the 1.3 diskette(hand and diskette). There is no waiting involved, it resets like a normal Amiga, but the cold boot (off then on at the mains) gives the FPGA programming and reading of KICK. I hope it's clear. The behaviour is similar to any other Amiga.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 14:38:26
#47 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

I got asked this question on a forum:

"Has Minimig UAE built in or is it a hardware based?"

To which I answered, no it's a mini Amiga (all hardware) no software emulation.

Can you confirm this?

Hans 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 14:52:07
#48 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@Hans

Also from reading a review in Total Amiga with Jens Schoenfeld on the Clone-A, he says that Dennis based his approach in part in how UAE handles blitter functions, and so would not be as accurate as their logic probing approach. But as stated, the benefit of the FPGA is that it can be updated easily with a new replacement piece of code, so as software features are fixed and updated, the MiniMig owners will be able to update their firmware accordingly.

I wish that he hadn't said that because there isn't a single line of UAE code in the MiniMig. How could there be? It's a hardware implementation, not a software emulator. Nevertheless, a number of people have got the wrong idea, and think that it's derived from UAE. Note that there's probably nothing technically wrong with Jens' statement, but people are getting the wrong idea.

Dennis' approach is based mostly on the hardware documentation; partially based on observed behaviour; and occasionally, he did (according to him) have a look at UAE code when something particularly difficult came up. Dennis' approach was to replicate observed behaviour; timings and internal signals may differ from the original A500.

Clone-A is based on the hardware documentation too, but he's gone so far as to analyse the signals (including timing) between chips. Thus each "chip" responds to external signals the same way that the original did. In short, Clone-A took the more complicated route and should result in an implementation that's closer to the original in terms of timing and internal signals, and should also be smaller (in terms of logic-cell count).

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 01-Mar-2008 at 02:55 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 14:58:00
#49 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Thanks for taking the time to post this. :)

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:07:21
#50 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Thank you very much, it means a lot.

I have just quickly updated the site too, a link to the Compatibility List is available and more entries added to the list! More to come once I have finished re-converting the ADFs that failed!

Miniming case coming up too...I would love to say and actually I am going to say in "two weeks time" more or less!

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:09:07
#51 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:
This might sound like a pain but consider that loading times are faster than the floppy "clickity-clack" disk drive so it isn't much of a problem.

I don't see it as much of a problem - I completed Monkey Island 2 on a 2 drive A500...

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:11:29
#52 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:
I am going to say in "two weeks time" more or less!

The difference is that you have a realistic chance of delivering!

Looking forward to seeing your case. If it is easy to build then I will be getting a Minimig as the lack of a case is the only thing putting me off at the moment.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:17:12
#53 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

>>I don't see it as much of a problem - I completed Monkey Island 2 on a 2 drive A500...

I agree. But these days people are used to faster things, which I can understand. I remember going through the horrific process of disk swapping to play Mortal Kombat...THAT was painful! How did we ever managed! It wasn't even that good!

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:21:01
#54 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

>>The difference is that you have a realistic chance of delivering!

LOL!

I hope to finish it sooner...I am trying to keep it simple...at the moment it's all down on paper and I have got the material needed...it's just a matter of finding some spare time.

Originally I was going to use the design I got on my site (the Walker revisited) ut then I hthought it might put people off! LOL!

>>Looking forward to seeing your case. If it is easy to build then I will be getting a Minimig as the lack of a case is the only thing putting me off at the moment.

I have had the minimig exposed to everything, family, friends, colleagues and ESD so the sooner I complete the case the better!

_Steve_ 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:22:23
#55 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:
I wish that he hadn't said that because there isn't a single line of UAE code in the MiniMig. How could there be? It's a hardware implementation, not a software emulator. Nevertheless, a number of people have got the wrong idea, and think that it's derived from UAE. Note that there's probably nothing technically wrong with Jens' statement, but people are getting the wrong idea.

I agree that the statement could be mis-interpreted as Dennis making essentially a hardware version of UAE, whereas from following his original thread on A.org, it was evident how he achieved the final product from its humble beginnings to the version we see today.

My main issue at the moment was just with the ease (or not) of being able to update the PIC controller code as the issues that most people will face are going to lie in there with regards to how the SD/MMC cards are handled. If the PIC supplied in the build by ACube doesn't contain a bootloader, it will be more problematic for end users to update it without additional hardware. Naturally the FPGA is much simpler to deal with as you just replace the minimig.bin on your SD/MMC card with an updated one, which I am sure will happen as bugs are resolved and corrected.

Zardoz 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:29:08
#56 ]
Team Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:
I agree. But these days people are used to faster things, which I can understand. I remember going through the horrific process of disk swapping to play Mortal Kombat...THAT was painful! How did we ever managed! It wasn't even that good!

Ehm, MK1 had no disk swapping after the start of the game on the original version and MK2 had *lots* on the cracked version and moderate swapping (but lots of loading) on the original version.

Anyway, on the FPGA matter, basically, the FPGA gets reprogrammed on power-on by the PIC. You don't ever reprogram it yourself.

Hans 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 15:40:08
#57 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Making a PIC programmer is pretty easy. I made one years ago out of a handful of parts. Or people can just buy one, it's pretty cheap. Once the bootloader is programmed into the PIC, it should be possible to reprogram via the serial port (or at least according to Dennis' website) without having to remove the chip.

Hans

_Steve_ 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 17:27:36
#58 ]
Team Member

@Hans

One small problem with that PIC programmer...

Quote:
Caution: The programmer may not work with low power serial interfaces - i.e. laptop or notebook serial ports. USB to serial cables have also not been proven to work.

My motherboard doesn't have a serial (or parallel for that matter) port either So I'd have to use USB. Having said that, I think my old PC may have though.

@TheDaddy

The minimig is not a hardware based UAE implementation. Dennis worked on the project from the ground up, based on available documentation and observed behaviour (in that if you write a certain set of values to the chips, the output is matched in his implemented hardware).

As Hans said earlier as well, there were instances when Dennis looked at UAE to see how some parts reacted/worked when he could not figure it out, but the codebase itself forms no part of the minimig.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 19:01:24
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

>>Ehm, MK1 had no disk swapping after the start of the game on the original version and MK2 had *lots* on the cracked version and moderate swapping (but lots of loading) on the original version.

Maybe I am getting confused with Body Blows...I am going through so many games!

>>Anyway, on the FPGA matter, basically, the FPGA gets reprogrammed on power-on by the PIC. You don't ever reprogram it yourself.

I know now thanks, this has been cleared by someone on amiga.org. Cheers.

Interesting 
Posted on 1-Mar-2008 19:02:38
#60 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@amigakit

Quote:
We now have Minimig in stock now:

US sales?

Minimig would make a great out of the box FPGA developer system

@Acube

very professional production and packing job....well done!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle