Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

jPV

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 jPV:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  11 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  19 mins ago
 vox:  39 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 roar:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Torque:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Minimig Case
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheDaddy 
Re: Minimig Case
Posted on 27-Jun-2008 11:18:57
#61 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

>>Otherwise - just sell the case as a minimig-pencil-case - if people then decides to put a minimig into the case - it's their problem - you sold it as a case for pencils

That is a brilliant idea!

I am not sure what I am going to do, I definately want to finish it and produce it. I have spent thousands of pounds and six months on this little project, but it will all come down to how many more obstacles I have to jump!

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 2-Jul-2008 19:15:19
#62 ]
Elite Member

@everyone

Prototype number 2 is nearly finished.

I would like to know what people would prefer on their Minimig case;

1) Completely plain white gloss case

2) White gloss case with Minimig name on it (high quality adhesive vinyl) - slightly more expensive

3) Screen printed Minimig name on white gloss case (same quality as the screen printing used in the industry; laptop and desktops) - more expensive but better looking

Let me know your preferences so I can get an idea for the final product.

Soon more photos!

bitman 
Posted on 2-Jul-2008 19:50:10
#63 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Well.....it depends on what the case looks like....

Last edited by bitman on 02-Jul-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Chuckt 
Posted on 2-Jul-2008 21:21:42
#64 ]

I may not be buying one unless it is offered for a Natami or Clone A.

I would want to know how Vinyl would hold up. I would also be concerned how screen printing would be protected to keep it from coming off.

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@everyone

2) White gloss case with Minimig name on it (high quality adhesive vinyl) - slightly more expensive

3) Screen printed Minimig name on white gloss case (same quality as the screen printing used in the industry; laptop and desktops) - more expensive but better looking

Soon more photos!

CodeSmith 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 4:16:44
#65 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@everyone

Soon more photos!

What about the old cbm tan, like the A500 and assorted 8 bits? that would be pretty cool, especially if you use the characteristic "grill" design for the ventilation slots.

Chuckt 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 5:27:26
#66 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@everyone

I was reading something in the latest issue of Consumer Reports about vinyl and lead before I recycled my issue of Consumer Reports.

There is also a story about "polyvinyl chloride" in vinyl shower curtains which release lead, phthalates, and other potentially harmful materials.

Last edited by Chuckt on 03-Jul-2008 at 05:28 AM.

QuBe 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 8:54:32
#67 ]

@TheDaddy

I think it should be "white gloss" with a "minimig" logo in small black letters in the centre. Very minimalistic modern design. Maybe something like the ...appleTV design case. Love those classy pizza box stule cases.

Also TheDaddy, if this goes well, would you consider a high class rectangular pizza style case for A1200 computers. Would be nice to enclose a "suspended" A1200 motherboard in an appleTV like case, with external (extension) connectors for a white keyboard and mouse.

Maybe something like that for Natami maybe. Create a range of very similar designed cases for Amiga hardware. it could be very cool!

Q!

"aLL RoAdS LeAd ToO HoMe"

TheDaddy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 9:00:10
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

>>I may not be buying one unless it is offered for a Natami or Clone A.

Sorry, you are in the wrong thread then...I have plans and sketches for the Natami already but the Minimig is my priority at the moment.

This is specifically designed for the Minimig, it will only enclose the Minimig.

It's custom designed for the Minimig (the Minimig motherboard has 9 ports on all sides, very different from any other pcb around).

>>I would want to know how Vinyl would hold up.

The vinyl is an option to save costs (it might not be offered at all because the most response and requests I have had is for screen printing) but it should give good results. It's high strength vinyl, as used in many applications.

>>I would also be concerned how screen printing would be protected to keep it from coming off.

Screen printing is the industry standard. I don't know if you have experience of screen printing. This is the same process applied to any consumer product you have around you. Have a look at your pc, keyboard, laptop, mobile etc...see those little high quality numbers, letters, words and logos? That is screen printing.

Unless you start scraping it off with a knife it should last for years. I hope it's clear.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 9:05:34
#69 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

>>What about the old cbm tan, like the A500 and assorted 8 bits? that would be pretty cool, especially if you use the characteristic "grill" design for the ventilation slots.

This is a completely new design. There is very little retro about it. Tan colour is not in my plans. The material used is Acrylic Capped High Impact ABS, this should look good and avoid yellowing. Think of it as a modern Minimig/Amiga iPod style.

The first model is going to be gloss white, based on its success I should be able to offer more colours but for now it's just white.

I have had a lot of response and it looks like we are going for the more expensive screen printing. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 03-Jul-2008 at 09:32 AM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 9:30:53
#70 ]
Elite Member

@QuBe

>>I think it should be "white gloss" with a "minimig" logo in small black letters in the centre. Very minimalistic modern design. Maybe something like the ...appleTV design case. Love those classy pizza box stule cases.

I agree completely.
The AppleTV resembles the mac mini. The Minimig case should look similar but remember that the Minimig is the ONLY one to have ports on all sides, this makes matters a bit more complicated from a design point of view without adding extensions etc... which would make it too expensive. Also Apple have a massive R&D center, I am on my own.

The Minimig motherboard and its function dictates the shape so yes we have a small glossy white box, this is going to be an attractive, modern and simple case which obeys its function of protecting the Minimig. Probably the first Amiga related custom case since the demise of Commodore. I have plans for other machines and my desk is covered in sketches for the Natami, AClone and even the efika.

>>Also TheDaddy, if this goes well, would you consider a high class rectangular pizza style case for A1200 computers. Would be nice to enclose a "suspended" A1200 motherboard in an appleTV like case, with external (extension) connectors for a white keyboard and mouse. Maybe something like that for Natami maybe. Create a range of very similar designed cases for Amiga hardware. it could be very cool!

Since we are talking about it I might just as well talk about the plans ahead.
I am in talks with my manufacturer about re-designing an enclosure just for the A1200 but we are evaluating the costs against the market, consider that my Minimig case has taken me more than six months and all of my own cash (borrowings, and the sale of my car, Amiga and PC). The only way I can create more designs is to make sure the Minimig case is successful, this should fuel future projects.

The engineers have three of my concepts (A1200 case, Natami and efika) but they won't start assessing them until the Minimig case is in full production.

Thank you for the feedback.

Chuckt 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 15:35:42
#71 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@everyone

I have only got a tiny little problem:

I have been told that the case might need to be tested (mechanical and fire tests) by a lab.

I am trying to find out if it's necessary for a case this small and only powered by a +5V (100-200mA).

The lab is going to let me know, mechanical tests are in the region of £650 (780 Euros)!

I haven't been told about price for the fire tests.

This is a bit of a blow to my project but I'll keep you informed.

If a company does this for a living, why would they test the same materials over and over (fire test)?

I think that an electrical product would need to be UL listed and not the case. If a plastic has a certificate of analysis, why would they need to further analyze it for each customer? It should be known which materials are flammable and which ones aren't.

I could see some manufacturing requires to be subject to regulation but I think they need to be more creative to get around this.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 16:00:12
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

>>I think that an electrical product would need to be UL listed and not the case.

I agree with you there, I know that the Minimig as produced by ACube is CE marked.

>>If a plastic has a certificate of analysis, why would they need to further analyze it for each customer? It should be known which materials are flammable and which ones aren't.

Apparently everything is flammable. The differentiation is between being fire retardant or not and what is claimed to be fire retardant. As long as you don't claim something to be what it isn't it should be ok.

>>I could see some manufacturing requires to be subject to regulation but I think they need to be more creative to get around this.

I know that the case doesn't need the CE marking.

Thanks

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 3-Jul-2008 17:36:21
#73 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

Quote:

If a company does this for a living, why would they test the same materials over and over (fire test)?

I think that an electrical product would need to be UL listed and not the case. If a plastic has a certificate of analysis, why would they need to further analyse it for each customer? It should be known which materials are flammable and which ones aren't.

I could see some manufacturing requires to be subject to regulation but I think they need to be more creative to get around this.

That's UL, that's nothing to do with the company. UL read every little detail described and makes you proof that the product meets that description. Producing all the paper-work is what is making this an expensive routine.

Also, you can state that the material is UL V0 compliant but.... as it is plastic there are more 'got to haves' to create a fire retardant product. Material thickness, for instance, is one thing. Or the distance between the plastic and the flame source.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 10-Jul-2008 20:42:40
#74 ]
Elite Member

@everyone

Hi,

I am happy to let you know that a second preview of my case/enclosure for the Minimig (rev 1.1) is available:

www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

I would like to thank all the people who have expressed and registered their interest. Once I have the cost for screen printing the name on it, I will post the enclosure price and starting taking orders.

To all of you who have emailed me about a pre-order/pre-payment scheme I would like to say thank you, this will be available and should help me and speed things up a lot!

Please note there will be an initial limited production run so first come first serve.

Many thanks for your support.

Loriano

Last edited by TheDaddy on 10-Jul-2008 at 09:03 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 10-Jul-2008 21:56:52
#75 ]
Elite Member

@everyone,

I am adding a comment here after receiving a few emails regarding the logo on amiga.org:

The whole enclosure is going to be displayed next week (I have one more thing to sort out).

"The shape is square (it hugs the Minimig board) and it has round corners, overall a nice modern look.

This might be ported to the A1200 replacement case I am working on and possibly the Natami.

The manufacturer is checking the feasibility of the typeface and colour for the logo.

Regarding the logo, some of you have emailed me asking if we could have the boing ball (can I say boing ball or am I going to get sued? ) bouncing over the "I" instead of the stylised sphere and the answer, at least for now, is no. I can't even get in contact with Amiga Inc. and the last thing I want is for Amiga Inc. to start another trial!

The typeface and colour are in tone with the Amiga theme and I am happy with that, it stands out from the white, some of you have suggested silver but I will have to evaluate the costs.

Thank you,

Last edited by TheDaddy on 10-Jul-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Yssing 
Posted on 10-Jul-2008 23:56:10
#76 ]

Has any one tried adding extra RAM /HD controller or anything else to the minimig?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 13-Jul-2008 9:33:30
#77 ]
Elite Member

@everyone

What a week we've had!

OS4.1 and the enclosure for the Minimig!

A few dancing bananas:

Minimig Enclosure Update:

Screen printing is TOO EXPENSIVE to have at the moment so the case/enclosure will be available in two formats:

Plain glossy white - so you can do whatever you want with it, put your own design/graphics or sticker on it or leave it in pure glossy white. Elegant, modern and sleek!

or

With the Minimig logo I have designed applied like in the photos, £8 (GBP) or 10Euros extra- there are several colours to choose from: black, yellow, purple, orange, silver, gold, red, maroon, blue, green, grey and a few others. Just tell me your colour choice at the time of pre-ordering. I have applied the logo in silver to the prototype and it looks particularly elegant and professional.

Please keep registering your interest as once we reach a minimum of 50 we are going into production!

Thank you.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 13-Jul-2008 18:03:22
#78 ]
Elite Member

I forgot to add the following colours:

Pink, brown and burgundy. Basically you can have the logo on the enclosure in any colour you like as long as it is one of the listed ones!

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 13-Jul-2008 18:38:56
#79 ]

@TheDaddy

Hi I will buy one. I just hope you have PayPal buy now button set-up.
Of course if I can get the package from ACube or Ami kit even better.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 13-Jul-2008 19:14:10
#80 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

Hi and thanks for your support.

I am sorting out paypal at the moment, ready for next week release.

In the pre-order please state if you would like it plain glossy white or with the Minimig name/logo in any of the colours mentioned in the previous post.

It really has a great feeling developing something for the our community.

Thanks again,

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle