Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  53 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 Mgwl:  2 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  USB CrossDOS bug
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: USB CrossDOS bug
Posted on 28-Jul-2008 15:46:42
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Because the USB stack in OS4, auto mounts USB sticks whit CrossDOS, a cool thing about OS4 USB stack and CrossDOS is the commodity feature.

Profile     Report this post  
Xenic 
Posted on 28-Jul-2008 15:49:34
#42 ]

@kgrach

Quote:
The Reserved Characters and Names in windows

I don't own a PC but I suspect that Windows won't let you accidently use any of those chars & names. It would be sensible if CrossDOS restricted their use too. I checked the CrossDOS commodity to see if it would filter filenames but it only offers options to filter contents. It also doesn't detect my FAT formatted USB memory sticks. People may be cautious when naming files on FAT partitions but I think most of the problems occur when copying Amiga files. It might be useful if the CrossDOS commodity offered filename filtering (and worked with USB memory sticks).

Xenic 
Posted on 28-Jul-2008 16:21:30
#43 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Could this have been worked around? Does FAT support softlinks? If hidden directories were put in the root they could have linked to others deeper in the drive which contained large file names and worked around this.

Hmmm. To confuse issues even more, I think on the Amiga that would be a hardlink (link to a file on the same disk) . Links are the main reason I can't drag-n-drop dirs & partitions to a FAT USB drive for backups. When ASyncWB encounters a link it reports a "packet" error and the FAT drive is sometimes corrupted and future attempts to copy will crash my system. I wonder how CrossDOS would handle a link created on a Win PC?

Xenic 
Posted on 28-Jul-2008 16:25:59
#44 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Because the USB stack in OS4, auto mounts USB sticks whit CrossDOS, a cool thing about OS4 USB stack and CrossDOS is the commodity feature.

Does the CrossDOS commodity show USB (FAT formatted) memory sticks on your system? The lister is always empty here.

royleith 
Posted on 29-Jul-2008 10:17:40
#45 ]
Cult Member

@Xenic

I just got this report from the USB MassStorage Driver commodity,

Name__________ Dosname________ Filesystem____ MediaSize
Gizmo!overdriv MBR____________ MBR___________ 1,951.2M
|
|_______________ USB0C:_________ FAT___________ 1,951.1M

The Gizmo! is a 2G flash drive and is mounted via a powered, 7-port hub on my A1-XE. The limited number of files, only one directory deep, all seem to be there.

In the past, I have had problems with several layers of directories on both flash drives and external USB hard drives. I moved to using a second internal hard drive for backup and the CrossDos utility does all I need for file swapping between systems.

Regards
Roy Leith

Last edited by royleith on 29-Jul-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Last edited by royleith on 29-Jul-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 29-Jul-2008 11:50:43
#46 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Dandy

So you say you don't need Poseidon USB stack, as OS4 comes with it's own?

Do you have the possibility to compare both USB stacks?
Does OS4 USB stack have similar functionality as Poseidon?
Does OS4 USB stack support USB 2.0 highspeed?

I seem to remember that one of the devs (Rogue) said something along the lines that OS4 for classics (which I have) would not support the Spider II USB 2.0 "highspeed" in the Mediator (which I currently use; I already have an Deneb, but up to now no time to fit it in my A4kPPC) because of DMA problems due to the DMA-graphical-memory hack on the Mediator.

Would the "Deneb" be fully supported by the OS4 USB stack, or would I have to use Poseidon in an emulation?

From what you wrote I got it that there must be a native version of CrossDOS for OS4 - I always thought that CrossDOS development was discontinued ages ago?

When I bought my copy of "CrossDOS 7 gold" (in about 2000 or 2001) it was said that it was already discontinued - so you see me (positively) surprised...

Dandy

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Jul-2008 15:56:26
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

Yes OS4 has it own USB stack if like it or not.

Quote:
Do you have the possibility to compare both USB stacks?

Sorry “Poseidon USB stack” does not work on AmigaONE, so I can compare.

Key advantage for OS4.x USB is PowerPC native,
Poseidon USB stack is JIT emulated, so it most likely eats more CPU cycles, CPU heavy.

AmigaOS4.1 is coming soon, I believe the USB2.0 support is coming, and support for picture transferee protocol is coming, it’s used on some cameras.
ELBox has announced support for OS4 for there SpiderUSB2.0 card.

Quote:
Does OS4 USB stack have similar functionality as Poseidon?

Yes, basically does the same thing give or take.

Quote:
Does OS4 USB stack support USB 2.0 highspeed?

Not currently in AmigaOS4.0, think AmigaOS4.1 will have.

Quote:
I seem to remember that one of the devs (Rogue) said something along the lines that OS4 for classics (which I have) would not support the Spider II USB 2.0 "highspeed" in the Mediator (which I currently use; I already have an Deneb, but up to now no time to fit it in my A4kPPC) because of DMA problems due to the DMA-graphical-memory hack on the Mediator.

Well AmigaOS4 might not officially support DMA hacks on A1200/4000 computers, but I believe you can use the ElBox drivers.

Quote:
Would the "Deneb" be fully supported by the OS4 USB stack, or would I have to use Poseidon in an emulation?

I’m no not a part of E3B/Hyperion development teams, can’t answer that question.

Quote:
From what you wrote I got it that there must be a native version of CrossDOS for OS4 - I always thought that CrossDOS development was discontinued ages ago?

No its part of AmigaOS4.x and has been updated a few times under the development of OS4.0.

Quote:
When I bought my copy of "CrossDOS 7 gold" (in about 2000 or 2001) it was said that it was already discontinued - so you see me (positively) surprised...

I think its discontinued as standalone product, some one else will need to confirm this.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Jul-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Jul-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Aug-2008 16:31:29
#48 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

Quote:
I use two 512 MByte Lexar JumpDrive Elite USB sticks and a 512 MByte Kingston DataTraveler USB stick. One of the JumpDrives is formatted for FastFileSystem. The other JumpDrive is formatted for FAT32. The DataTraveler is formatted for some version of FAT, not sure which.The JumpDrive that is formatted for FFS works like a charm with AmigaOS 4.0 July 2007 Update and FFS2Fix.

I never thought of formatting it with FFS. But, I transfer across platforms, so cannot do that. In theory though it could work with Linux. Have you tried this?

Oh, what is this FFS2Fix? I think I have heard of it but forgot what it does.

Or, perhaps I should try HFS? Then again, I would need the CDRom Filesystem to read it AFAIK, but writing?

Is there an alternate to this buggy PC FAT filesystem?

Quote:
The Kingston DataTraveler seems to be more robust than the Lexar JumpDrive. However, it is only about a year old. I am also very careful with it as well.

I've had no troubles with my Kingston that I can remember, except when I put it in an A1SE USB port and it corrupted my drive! Still reparing it, or the filenames anyway.

Quote:
Long ago, back in the very distant past, I had some problems with the Lexar JumpDrives. My MicroA1 killed them off a few times, and I found that my old HP pc could wake them up again. I do not know what caused the problems. That is why I am very careful with the one formatted for FAT32. Since I formatted the one for FFS, it worked fine.

Perhaps I should keep it at FAT16 until further notice.

Quote:
After re-reading kgrach's replies above, I think he has explained the problems I had with the Lexar JumpDrive USB sticks.

Yes, that was quite imformative. Very good info to have. But it makes me like FAT even less.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Aug-2008 16:35:53
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

I think OS4 is based on the Sirion stack. Or includes it nameless.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Aug-2008 16:38:27
#50 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
No its part of AmigaOS4.x and has been updated a few times under the development of OS4.0.

Unlike ARexx, which is stuck in 68k and is in a way being replaced. Is it going to become like the AmigaBASIC of old? One good thing though, programs can still send comands and process them, by just using a normal message port. They just need to follow the ARexx structures and read strings.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Aug-2008 16:06:57
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Quote:
Hmmm. To confuse issues even more, I think on the Amiga that would be a hardlink (link to a file on the same disk). Links are the main reason I can't drag-n-drop dirs & partitions to a FAT USB drive for backups. When ASyncWB encounters a link it reports a "packet" error and the FAT drive is sometimes corrupted and future attempts to copy will crash my system. I wonder how CrossDOS would handle a link created on a Win PC?

I did wonder if I had my links messed up. It looks like CrossDOS can't handle link specific packets. In that case they should be "unpacked" or perhaps just converted to cloning the file. Not a true link, but it is external. It think with external foreign drive volumes that perhaps these features should be disable or recreated using old methods.

I wonder myself how a native FAT link would be handled. Perhaps not well! If it isn't supported reading them. You never know until you try. Have you ever made a FAT link on a PC?

Mrodfr 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 17:39:13
#52 ]

@all

Would like to update this thread with my own experience with AOS4.1/SAM and FAT32 USB copy problem on USB key 16go OCZ rally2:

FAT32 factory formatted OCZ 16go rally usb key. Copy for the third time with. first copy was some ko, second copy was some mo, last copy was the entire AOS4 software (for save) around 1GO. (SAM+aos4.1 system used).

the copy has been made with dopus4 PPC. The copy was pratically finished (around the GO copied) but suddenly, on the amicygnix part, impossible to create lots of drawer located on amicygnix....

I stop the copy with dopus4 and impossible to make another copy.

the key show his name with poseidon/classic but impossible to create a copy on. linux debian unable to recognize/mount the key. Same with vista.

At job, the key has been recognized by XP and possible to format (normal and quick) the key with XP. NOTE: 4go copied at job on the key without problems.

content of the corrupted key (from a grab before formating the key with XP):

t-firm ..if 1673886 ko
p $&.\".cov 1661659 ko
p&.bp1&..pg 1824969 ko
nt-abstr.act 1624963 ko
ov@print.-da file folder
ov@print.-ti file folder

impossible to copy or delete. fortunately, format fat32 work with XP. (Of course, the original files are AOS4 OS and AOS4 programs, no files with around 1.6 go each).

1. all files look like are 8+3 files.
2. key was FAT32 formated on factory.
3. Errors have been deep inside amicygnix drawers.

ANOTHER point:

Here I have labelled to key RALLY2 because the original name on the factory was OCZ RALLY 2. I have removed the spaces on the name.

After formating the key with XP, I have made the same test that mean copy the AOS4 OS in dh0: and aos4 programs on DH1: as dh0: and dh1: drawer on the usb key.

Other problems:

-dopus4 PPC give a requester who said: impossible to copy ROX. I choose continue and rox has been finally copied.

-Dopus4 PPC give a requester who said: impossible to copy .dummy file 1 bytes (allready exist). name: .dummy. size 1 bytes. inside 11 amicygnix drawers.

Amicygnix have maybe 30 .dummy files and 11 .dummy files haven't been copied. That mean the final size has been 11 bytes less than the original.

1. If I take one of the 11 drawers without success to copy the .dummy files and make a drawer size with dopus4 PPC, size is zero.

2. If I try to copy again the .dummy file inside one of the 11 drawer, dopus4 PPC said that the file allready exist.

3. Trying to do the same with dirmaster2 PPC and same result.

The others problems are actually on the USB key, for informations.

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle