Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 54 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 21stcentury:  9 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  12 mins ago
 OlafS25:  26 mins ago
 Kronos:  35 mins ago
 Rob:  45 mins ago
 nikosidis:  51 mins ago
 pixie:  58 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr ago
 Z3k:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  [Poll] Stop Amizilla bounty in favour of others?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Poll : Should Amizilla bounty be stopped in favour of other browsers?
No, why that?
Yes, absolutely.

PosterThread
Mr_Capehill 
Re: [Poll] Stop Amizilla bounty in favour of others?
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 10:35:45
#21 ]

@bitman

Join the list and find out yourselves. I don't want to name anyone here but I know there was 2-3 active people at least.

Profile     Report this post  
steril606 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 11:05:20
#22 ]

Somehow i prefer genuine amiga software over everybodies standard software. So i'd say i'd prefer a fully developed OWB over Firefox (on the Amiga at least).

But that's maybe just my opinion.

Last edited by steril606 on 15-Oct-2008 at 11:05 AM.

corto 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 12:13:58
#23 ]

quote]
Mr_Capehill wrote:
@Bit7

Yeah. Someday there will be a port, if OS4 lives long enough (hardware, development, developers).[/quote]

Hum ... that does not sound really optimistic It was far earlier to ask for money when the bounty started ...

You're right, once again ! Let's share our efforts ! If the project is advanced, the project leader must inform us, else money could come back to donators for other investments.

Deniil715 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 12:36:42
#24 ]
Elite Member

I also voted no, although I didn't contributed with money.

OWB is (still) just an emergency browser. It cannot be used as an everyday browser at all IMO. Ever tried viewing a PDF with OWB, or download a torrent, or anything else..? A quick click in IBrowse brings it right up in AmiPDF, starts CTorrent, or anything you want.

OWB also takes forever to start thanks (?) to the .so files which are huge and must be loaded and linked in realtime. It also crashes every now and then during startup half way through the linkage, although not so much anymore with OS4.1.

I don't want to put down Joergs work, not at all. Surfing with IBrowse includes quite a few "emergencies" when something such as OWB is needed. But as a new and fresh browser I primarily like to see IBrowse be updated (btw. how's that, and the 6 month releases, going??) or Firefox.

Only problem with Firefox is that it will most likely be even more huge and slow loading than OWB, also using .so files, and probably not have any better GUI than OWB either to start with, so.... I don't know....

TrevorDick 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 12:41:49
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

I voted NO. I have donated to Amizilla, Sputnik and OWB projects.

TrevorD

bitman 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 13:34:24
#26 ]
Cult Member

@Mr_Capehill

AmiZilla on SourceForge looks rather dead.So I've triede to join Amizilla on yahoo groups - so let's see if somebody responds.

DaFreak 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 13:52:32
#27 ]

I voted yes, absolutely because AmiZilla seems to be a far to big project with nearly no response (as bitman mentioned already) or positive news from the team. So it seems unsuccessful.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 13:54:35
#28 ]

I will donate some money to the AmiZilla project - for FireFox in next few weeks

http://www.discreetfx.com/AmiZilla.html
changed to: (without HTTP re-direct), or click to re-direct
http://www.discreetfx.com/amizilla.html

It's too late to swap the money over, if people really wanted to donate to OWB (which I have done separately) or NetSurf, then their bounties would be as large is this booty.

Or is no official form of tracking OWB and NetSurf bounties in place.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 14:46:55
#29 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

Just as my wife said, OWB is too primitive to be used as an everyday browser like Firefox. IBrowse, though it is feature packed, can not load the pages that OWB can load (CSS, javascript stuff). The browser that had been my favorite, AWeb, is now far behind even IBrowse.

With all of this being said, OWB and Netsurf are continually being upgraded. If they were to inherit even 1/4 of the features of Firefox, they possibly could become my everyday browser. Until then, let the Amiga browser developer wars continue with the addition of Firefox. Since competition leads to better products, the addition of Firefox could spur the IBrowse, AWeb, OWB, and Netsurf developers to quicken the development of their offerings.

-The Phantom "?"

spihunter 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 15:14:01
#30 ]

@elwood,

I contributed to the Amizilla fund. I would be pretty ####ed off if the money went to an OS4 only browser.

If you like OWB, then send them some cash.

bitman 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 16:09:40
#31 ]
Cult Member

@all

Why not change the poll to (addressed to the programmers):

"How big should the bounty be, to motivate you to do the port?"

$15.000
$20.000

The programmers should be around - only "motivation" is missing?

Hans 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 16:24:23
#32 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

You can't redirect funds that were donated for a specific purpose unless every single donor agrees. Don't forget that a significant amount was donated by a Mozilla/Netscape executive.

Yes, it is a big project. Amiga OS 4/x's built in Cairo library should help out, given that Firefox 3 uses it as its backend. I think that it might be worth trying to resurrect this project. If enough developers are interested, progress could be made.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 16:41:53
#33 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

Quote:

bitman wrote:
@all

Why not change the poll to (addressed to the programmers):

"How big should the bounty be, to motivate you to do the port?"

$15.000
$20.000

The programmers should be around - only "motivation" is missing?

There may be developers that would be interested, but, unless we have enough interested developers, the size of the task will be a strong deterrent.

Let us say that we try to solve this purely with money. The average salary for a programmer in the US is $60000 USD. Assuming that it is similar everywhere (which it is not, but it makes this easier), how many man-years do you think that it would take to port? I have no idea personally as I've never even looked at the source (I suck at porting from Linux), but it will likely take several man-years of effort. So, the bounty would have to be well above $100000 USD. However, if you want a group of developers to port it in a reasonable time-frame, expecting them to wait until they finished it before being paid is unreasonable. You'd really need to pay them as full-time developers.

I have a different suggestion. Firefox has multiple sub-systems and dependencies. If a group of developers could list the dependencies that are missing and all the modules that Firefox comprises, divide the bounty into managable chunks. For example, if someone gets the networking component (whatever it's called) operational (and be able to prove that it works), they would receive a part of the bounty. This would do two things. First, the individual modules/dependencies are small enough that someone is more likely to take on that task. Second, people will see the progress and be more likely to donate more to see the rest of the program ported.

Hans

steril606 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 16:42:30
#34 ]

Would be interesting, what you deem to be the least amount of features that for instance OWB would need to get to be usable for you (and your wifes ;) )...

I have to admit i am not your average power user of Browsers, i am usually content with:

* having a textfield where i can type in URLs (love to have some sort of autocompletion though).
* being able to add Bookmarks to a list (doesn't need to have folders for me).
* forward and back button..
* once a week i use the browsinghistory, but i can live without that..

What exactly do you need in a browser so you would say it's "the complete package" for your daily needs..?

Last edited by steril606 on 15-Oct-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Last edited by steril606 on 15-Oct-2008 at 04:44 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 16:54:31
#35 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

I think it's not possible. A large amount of money for this project was donated by the Mozilla founder itself. How would you explain to him that we wants to move his money to other competitors projects?

Xenic 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 16:56:57
#36 ]

@DaFreak
Quote:
AmiZilla seems to be a far to big project

Yes, the goals are unrealistic. The cost of the hardware just to test the resulting program on the target systems probably exceeds the bounty. I don't think non-programmers have a clue how much time it would take to port to a single target system, let alone every Amiga system mentioned in the bounty. I have programs that have been crippled by the transition from OS 4.0 to OS 4.1. Can you imagine a program that must work on every new iteration of a half dozen different (but very similar) operating systems. I think it's also unlikely that such a huge program designed to work on a 500+ MHz system could ever work on a classic Amiga. Somehow this bounty looks like more of a trick to get page views of a commercial WEB site than a realistic effort to get results.

bitman 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 17:32:34
#37 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

Quote:
but it will likely take several man-years of effort. So, the bounty would have to be well above $100000 USD.

You're getting to the conclusion that I was thinking the "other" poll could show: No bounty is big enough for this task, so the current bounty is obsolete.

Hans 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 18:06:58
#38 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

Quote:

bitman wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
but it will likely take several man-years of effort. So, the bounty would have to be well above $100000 USD.

You're getting to the conclusion that I was thinking the "other" poll could show: No bounty is big enough for this task, so the current bounty is obsolete.

I don't think that it's obsolete. If I did port it, I'd still want the money. It can help motivate developers, but these developers have to want to port Firefox in the first place. Some people seem to think that $10k-$20k is a big prize that developers should be grateful to have a shot at. I'm just trying to show how much software development like this really costs.

Hans

Snuffy 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 18:07:44
#39 ]

Hi @elwood

I voted yes. Amizilla fed me a promise long ago and hasn't delivered anything. I would like to Chris Young get my donation for NetSurf; at least there's something tangible! Sputnik was another crap shoot. And where is it! No more money for any browser development. Sorry OWB, your dust in the wind. Screw your browsers Amiga...

EntilZha 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 18:51:27
#40 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@elwood

There is one problem with that: People donated for a Firefox port, not an OWB port. So if you suddenly reassign the money, you will pee off a lot of people.

How would you feel if you donated money for, say, saving river dolphins from extinction and suddenly they say "Screw the dolphins, we're saving the hawaiian plant life ?

Not to mention that there might be people working on a mozilla port without telling publically...

Last edited by EntilZha on 15-Oct-2008 at 06:52 PM.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle