Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 K-L:  17 mins ago
 amigakit:  35 mins ago
 kolla:  45 mins ago
 amigagr:  53 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  2 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  [Poll] Stop Amizilla bounty in favour of others?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Poll : Should Amizilla bounty be stopped in favour of other browsers?
No, why that?
Yes, absolutely.

PosterThread
Rogue 
Re: [Poll] Stop Amizilla bounty in favour of others?
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 19:18:07
#41 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@elwood

Quote:
When I use OWB and Netsurf I can't stop comparing these with Firefox and I always think "Wow!!!".

Why that, exactly? As good as OWB is for Amiga (haven't tried Netsurf yet), it is lacking a lot of important features that Firefox has. Not trying to put it down, really, it's a lot of good work that went into it, but still, Firefox is way better.

I can't help but think that people have the tendency to try and convince themselves that the grass is greener on this side. IMO it isn't. Getting Firefox onto the Amiga is a primary concern of me, and to be honest, if it doesn't happen soon then I am going to do it myself.

I'm tempted.

Profile     Report this post  
PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 19:26:18
#42 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Last year around this time, I picked up a book on C programming because getting programs like Firefox and OpenOffice.org on the Amiga is of great concern to me. I knew that I alone could not port such programs by myself, but I thought I could at least contribute something. Unfortunately, I had to put down the book to take care of more important things in my household.

-The Phantom "?"

BigC 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 19:51:28
#43 ]

@Mr_Capehill

In the real world people NEED money to buy food,take care of themselves and their loved ones,pay taxes,and acquire more computer toys.

Expecting talented people to simply give away their work for nothing is not realistic.

If the port were a matter of a few dozen hours work over several months of hobby time,then maybe; but to port something that took a whole team of paid programmers months to make is not trivial.I'm pretty sure Netscape existed to make money.

In fact,history teaches us that money as the medium of exchange is pretty effective in getting things done.

If the Amiga is every going to leave the hobbyists' niche ,it will be because some people have figured out how to make it pay.

And diverting the Amizilla bounty ,especially without the consent of the donors is unfair.Neither is changing the rules in the middle of the game.

I wonder if there should be bechmark mini-bounties to be awarded when certain core steps have been accomplished in porting.The current approach is all or nothing so will discourage those who might contribute talent to a particular aspect but are not so good in other.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 20:56:27
#44 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

BigC wrote:
If the port were a matter of a few dozen hours work over several months of hobby time,then maybe; but to port something that took a whole team of paid programmers months to make is not trivial.

That rather depends on what is being ported and how portable it is. If it is highly portable and we have all the prerequisites, even if it is a huge project that took years to make it should be able to be ported (at least in a partially-working state) reasonably quickly. Amigatising the port might take considerably longer.

If it isn't quite so portable and/or it depends on libraries we don't have, it's going to take longer. As portable as Firefox is, with all the requirements and chunks of code that need to be rewritten to work on the Amiga (some of the user interface stuff), it is going to take a while - and probably some way proportional to the size of the code. OpenOffice will have similar problems.

If you need to rewrite the entire UI for a port it can take a considerable amount of time and work - even if it appears to just be a case of opening a window to draw the screen to and collecting mouse and keyboard input (it probably isn't).

And, yes, I do need to release a newer beta of NetSurf. I'm working on it.

Chris

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 21:15:32
#45 ]

@BigC

I don't expect anyone should give their work for nothing. I meant that the money is not the motivation for everyone. Need, challenge or ambition might work for some.

Minibounties might be good. I can see a huge issue if it actually comes to the point of sharing the money with people who contributed...

steril606 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 21:48:25
#46 ]

@BigC
Quote:
If the Amiga is every going to leave the hobbyists' niche ,it will be because some people have figured out how to make it pay.

That's a good point. You will only get higher quality software, if dedicated companies feel they can make some bucks with releasing something for your platform.
Hobbyism only gets oyu to a certain point in these times of teams of hundreds developing on one piece of software..

serk118 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 22:12:00
#47 ]
Cult Member

@elwood

Ok we have OS & hardware to run now & we have been stuck with aweb/ibrowse/voyager etc browsers for long time but if we put them all as one & they still not a proper browser or come any near to firefox. sorry whats the point having a newer OS + hw but still trying to
make everyone think OWB/Netsurf is the only option as for the amiga comminity so we can all say yea transfer that money to other ports..

well how we going to get newer users into amiga comminty if we dont have top apps like firefox or openoffice.

Why dont we ask linux coders to port firefox/open office for amiga or even better ask aros team / morphos / amigaos4 cooders port them & we donate much as we can as comminty to them.

Most important 2 thinks we need or makes a complate os is browser& office apps
so if we can port them than yea amiga will shineup or if we dont than will lose all the users 1by1.

sorry i could be wrong here but still my way of looking at it.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

Rogue 
Posted on 15-Oct-2008 22:13:36
#48 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@serk118

Don't forget Java. But yeah, what is needed is actually blindingly obvious. Productivity and Internet Applications.

serk118 
Posted on 16-Oct-2008 13:01:16
#49 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

oooops yea java is 100% important is well.

Quote:
what is needed is actually blindingly obvious. Productivity and Internet Applications

&
I agree..

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

BigC 
Posted on 16-Oct-2008 16:03:05
#50 ]

@Rogue

I'll go on record as thinking a full-featured web browser is actually the most important application needed TODAY as that is what the majority of people do with their computers at home.

Second would be easy to use video processing capable of working with all the digital cameras in the hands of families.Also must be capable of viewing streaming video and movie downloading. Even one of my county libraries offers dvd downloading;and it is in a rather small city.

If not AmigaOpenOffice,the productivity must be able to smoothly transfer to and from the usual business office apps .Big business is locked into Microsoft apps ,but telecommuters and independents might well do better elsewhere.I have noted a few businesses using Linux to avoid the Microsoft licensing fees and restrictions.

WE,the people everywhere, ought to demand that our governments not arbitrarily require all web visitors or contractors to be using Microsoft browsers and apps ,anymore than a particular brand of shovel be required to dig a hole.It ought to be only that which gets the job done.

Moxee 
Posted on 16-Oct-2008 19:29:43
#51 ]
Team Member

@BigC

Quote:

WE, the people everywhere, ought to demand that our governments not arbitrarily require all web visitors or contractors to be using Microsoft browsers and apps, anymore than a particular brand of shovel be required to dig a hole. It ought to be only that which gets the job done.

I like it! But government seems to do whatever they want regardless of the citizen's voice.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 16-Oct-2008 20:17:57
#52 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@serk118

Don't forget Java. But yeah, what is needed is actually blindingly obvious. Productivity and Internet Applications.

*bing* Give that man a cigar.

elwood 
Posted on 16-Oct-2008 20:48:35
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Quote:
When I use OWB and Netsurf I can't stop comparing these with Firefox and I always think "Wow!!!".
Why that, exactly? As good as OWB is for Amiga (haven't tried Netsurf yet),

Speed.
I find that Netsurf is faster on A1 than FF is on a PC running at 3 Ghz.
But when you compare features, you're right of course, FF can't be beaten.

Last edited by elwood on 16-Oct-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Amiga Translator Organisation

bitman 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 12:38:59
#54 ]
Cult Member

@Mr_Capehill

Quote:
@bitman
Join the list and find out yourselves. I don't want to name anyone here but I know there was 2-3 active people at least.

Well it's now more than 3 months since i tried to join the list - nobody ever answered - so as i wrote earlier the list looks dead.

Was there ever any output from that project - and if there was, why not pass the material on to the guys from amidevsupport.com - if it's possible to get the material.

I think they can use it.

samo79 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 13:08:02
#55 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Why strop the bounty to trasfer the money on OWB ?
There was already a money transfer to OWB, and this when the Sputnik's bounty was arbitary closed, instead at this point IMHO would be better to transfer part on the Amizilla's bounty again on Sputnik, the rest of amount maybe can be splitted in minor part to Mozilla related dependencies

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

bitman 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 13:19:27
#56 ]
Cult Member

@samo79

I don't think that the bounty should be stopped - I just want to know what the status of this Amizilla project is - did they produce anything - and if they did, why did it stop? I had no response when joining the list, so I guess the project is dead - and what ever was produced could be passsed on to other people who wants to continue it like amidevsupport.com?

KimmoK 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 14:00:58
#57 ]
Elite Member

IMHO: Firefox is too bloated (extremely slow) and crashes very often. (on Linux and on Windows)

Nowdays I mainly use Opera on Linux and Safari on OSX & Windows.

(I will be trying "Modern" Amiga browsers in near future)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

samo79 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 14:11:16
#58 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

I don't mean to stopped anythings, I just suggest to split it in minor separated project, AFAIK this is already discussed out there, Amizilla project is it on hold from long time now, surely that doesn't mean that is dead, it is active but waited from all the necessary tools from Amiga community (third part), I think about new GCC 68k or Cairo 68k for example ...

Now we have a lot of updated tools that 4-5 years ago it was only dreamed, but we need more to be able to compile a decent "Mozilla ambient" on AmigaOS ...

Last edited by samo79 on 28-Jan-2009 at 02:12 PM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

wegster 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 14:13:10
#59 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

Quote:

bitman wrote:
@Mr_Capehill

Quote:
@bitman
Join the list and find out yourselves. I don't want to name anyone here but I know there was 2-3 active people at least.

Well it's now more than 3 months since i tried to join the list - nobody ever answered - so as i wrote earlier the list looks dead.

Was there ever any output from that project - and if there was, why not pass the material on to the guys from amidevsupport.com - if it's possible to get the material.

I think they can use it.

Sad but not unexpected. Try searching for a user I believe named 'Ants' here as well as 'AmiZilla' or 'Mozilla port' on AW, there were a few statuses given. if anything *was* done, I'd urge them to commit what they have to sourceforge in case someone picks it up at a later date.

bitman 
Posted on 28-Jan-2009 14:16:23
#60 ]
Cult Member

@samo79

Quote:
Amizilla project is it on hold from long time now, surely that doesn't mean that is dead, it is active but waited from all the necessary tools from Amiga community (third part),

If it's active why dosn't anyone respond when trying to join the list - i've been waiting for 3 months to join the list? Who can grant my login?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle