Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  22 mins ago
 nikosidis:  23 mins ago
 21stcentury:  35 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  38 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Poll : Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Because I need the brand name to use the product.
Because it does not have the OS feel I want.
Because I'd rather continue the melodrama on this AOS 4 centric website.
Because open source is for wimps!
Because I naturally just like to complain.
Whats's AROS?
I'm so used to nothing Amiga being easy, why change now?

PosterThread
wolfe 
Re: [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 5:37:07
#61 ]

@AmigaMac

Quote:

AmigaMac wrote:
@fairlanefastback

AROS needs to get serious about its user interface before it can be taken seriously. The kiddy icon set is atrocious! The AROS team needs to get Mason (Martin Merz) on the case!!

Well, there are Ken's icons in/for AROS if you don't like the Gorilla ones. DL Icaros. . . .

HERE . . .

Profile     Report this post  
paolone 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 9:05:49
#62 ]

@AmigaMac

Quote:
AROS needs to get serious about its user interface before it can be taken seriously. The kiddy icon set is atrocious! The AROS team needs to get Mason (Martin Merz) on the case!!

yes, yes, really kiddish...

someday I'll do the little lesson about the "nightly builds are for developers, distributions are for users" topic. Don't miss it.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 9:18:01
#63 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Read please.... the total cost of developing a you own "homebrew" PPC motherboard, manfacturing, etc is ..... read please..... as insanely expensive as the cost of porting to x86. If the 2 costs were comparable your left with the many benefits of x86 for the same price.

Since Acube funded the creation of SAM what point are you trying to make? Acube's cash is not Hyperion's cash. What Acube spent on SAM would never have been spent by them on funding Hyperion making a x86 port. Acube's business is PPC embedded hardware. So its a meaningless comparison to say what Acube + Hyperion spent total to get OS 4.1 on SAM would equal what it would take to make an x86 port. Even if thats so Hyperion does not get to spend Acube's cash on whatever they want to do themselves.

Quote:

Again, as far as embedded devices, if that is there target, well, what could they possible be thinking?? If they can't afford to port to the worlds most common hardware how can they port to specific product that a company might request for an embedded system. Wouldn't it make some sort of business sense to have you OS running on x86 as cost/availablity of boards is going to be such that for a "kiosk" for example that is what a large customer might request? What advantage it there for a company to buy $600 motherboard when you can get a similar power consumption level miniITX motherboard in the x86 world for $100 with more?

We aren't privy to Acube's embedded customer list. Obviously they think its somehow worthwhile. You could be right and they could be wrong. If they are wrong their business will fail. The embedded market is different than the desktop market. Its unclear if OS 4.1 is even intended to act as an OS for SAM in any embedded application as far as I am aware. What we do know is that for its desktop application it was an easy, low cost port to SAM, at least in any comparison to what an x86 port would entail. For Hyperion it was a no-brainer to port the OS to available hardware when some came along.

Quote:
I've only invested 20 years with AmigaOS. Sorry if I just don't want to see AmigaOS die again.

So have you written Hyperion's management? Why not take it to them directly? And if they continue to say no to x86 are you going to realize you can't force them? If they say, "hey Hyperion is not as rich as Acube, we can't fund an x86 port" are you going to realize that wishes from 20 year AOS veterans are not enough to change reality?

Quote:

But since they, as every other company in Amiga land, cannot communicate ANYTHING about their plans, well, whatever....

And yet AROS could be made to be whatever you want it to be. The public could make and fund bounties to make it be anything and everything that AOS 4.0 is if they wanted it bad enough. But instead of everyone standing up and saying "hey Amiga, Inc. #### off for your AOS 5 BS, hey Hyperion #### off for not making AOS 4.x x86, hey MOS team #### off for (whatever reason you want to make up)". No instead there is this weird "clinging" on to Hyperion where guys will rather spend their time being upset and bitching about all the what ifs that Hyperion supposedly blew and still may be doing.

The circular argument is ridiculous. AROS does not equal AOS in what you want. Ok make AROS equal what you want. Response: Nah, I'd rather bitch about how AOS is not on my platform of choice.

Quote:

I guess I'm just a whiner for not wanting to watch chances for a little larger AmigaOS poulation not go down the ####hole again....

So what do you think is going on at Hyperion? You think they have the cash and manpower to do the x86 port in a timely fashion but just are not doing so to #### guys like you off??

Amiga 1200

LoneHaranguer 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 11:58:46
#64 ]

@fairlanefastback

I looked and I looked, but I couldn't find the response I was looking for, so I didn't vote.

The option I wanted to choose is "It can".

You simply presume it can't be. In my humble opinion, AROS is closer to the spirit of Amiga than anything Amiga Inc or Hyperion are likely to produce.

elwood 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 12:51:23
#65 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Because using AROS would be like going back to Wb1.3 with almost no apps at all.

Amiga Translator Organisation

clusteruk 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 13:17:58
#66 ]

@elwood

You may be right unless you forgot we can run more or less the entire 68k productivity applications and all new well written AmigaOS4 apps and could easily be ported to Aros in most cases. To be fair most of them are probably ported from Linux anyway.

I regularly run DPaint5, Brilliance, Lightwave 3.5, Adpro 2.5, etc.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 17:21:42
#67 ]
Team Member

@LoneHaranguer

Quote:

LoneHaranguer wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I looked and I looked, but I couldn't find the response I was looking for, so I didn't vote.

The option I wanted to choose is "It can".

You simply presume it can't be. In my humble opinion, AROS is closer to the spirit of Amiga than anything Amiga Inc or Hyperion are likely to produce.

As I said in the first post the choices were tongue-in-cheek, fueled by all the odd talk (IMHO) about how people "need" AOS to be the x86 OS instead of AROS for whatever odd reason. I actually agree with you to a great extent.

Amiga 1200

Tomppeli 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 17:39:44
#68 ]

Quote:
Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?

Too immature, too hard to install and make boot on anything.

Manu 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 18:42:56
#69 ]

@Tomppeli

Buy a pre-installed Imica and try it out, it's not THAT immature.
Not as people think. It's got a lot better.

paolone 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 19:03:03
#70 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:
Too immature, too hard to install and make boot on anything.

Anyone able to install AmigaOS 4.1 on a SAM (I did it) should be able to install AROS with closed eyes. Honestly, when I first tried AOS4.1 I was disappointed by the fact that the Installer wasn't even close to the simplicity of the AROS one.

And it's really curious that people that can't install its OS of choice on anything different from a couple of PPC boards, come here to complain that AROS is "too hard to boot on *anything*". I wonder if AmigaOS is, but I don't think so, and I'm more addicted to think that there are many, many and many more boards compatible to AROS than to AmigaOS...

Leo 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 20:12:50
#71 ]

Quote:

Because using AROS would be like going back to Wb1.3 with almost no apps at all.

Actually I believe there were a lot more applications in the 1.3 era than later...

paolone 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 22:26:49
#72 ]

@elwood

Quote:

You simply don't know how far AROS has gone in the last 24 months.

Panthro 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 23:40:29
#73 ]

where is the option that sasys cause I hate X86 & would prefer alternatives!!

Tomppeli 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 23:41:30
#74 ]

@paolone

Quote:
Anyone able to install AmigaOS 4.1 on a SAM (I did it) should be able to install AROS with closed eyes.

You must be kidding.

AmigaMac 
Posted on 30-Mar-2009 3:42:04
#75 ]

@paolone

Now that's more like it. The problem I have always had is every time I saw the default flavor screenshots of AROS, they always had the awful looking icon set (Gorilla you call it). Now I know I may be complaining about a little things, but to me first impression is everything.

Gleng 
Posted on 30-Mar-2009 5:16:11
#76 ]

Bloody hell!

I urge anybody who hasn't looked at AROS for a while to download and try Icaros. It's made a TON of progress since I last tried it. Awesome stuff.

Leo 
Posted on 30-Mar-2009 10:30:50
#77 ]

Reading this kind of thread it seems installing OS4 is easy indeed...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=28485&forum=2&start=60&viewmode=flat&order=0

Not to mention the "beautiful" look of the GUI...

I think none of them gives a good first impression.

steril606 
Posted on 30-Mar-2009 10:47:35
#78 ]

Quote:

AmigaMac wrote:
@paolone

Now that's more like it. The problem I have always had is every time I saw the default flavor screenshots of AROS, they always had the awful looking icon set (Gorilla you call it). Now I know I may be complaining about a little things, but to me first impression is everything.

@AmigaMac:

And you were right. AROS looked hideous with the Gorilla Iconset. Believe me, I hate it with passion.

But, I urge you to try out Icaros, from my POV Ken Lesters icons look really more amigaish than even the ones used on AOS4 (but thats a big imo off course).

I think I will take a few screengrabs of my system and post them here tomorrow. AROS with Icaros Distro looks already fine 'out of the box', but can be made a real beauty with a few tweaks.

small addendum: I still have a 2 years old screengrab of AROS online, that you may want to see. Even back then, AROS could be made whatever you want it. I exchanged the Gorilla Icons with Ken Lesters Icons, and swapped the default borders with those lovely Workbench 1.3 ones.

And the whole OS has improved massively since then...

Last edited by steril606 on 30-Mar-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Last edited by steril606 on 30-Mar-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Leo 
Posted on 30-Mar-2009 11:43:44
#79 ]

Seems like AROS still doesn't bring full (and coherent) skinning support:

What's the use of having incosistent skin ?

And I'm pretty sure Zune/MUI would bring a third different and inconsistent style...

Last edited by Leo on 30-Mar-2009 at 11:45 AM.

paolone 
Posted on 30-Mar-2009 12:29:50
#80 ]

@Leo

Sorry, but your comments on GUI consistency are rather ridiculous. You don't seem to catch the difference between the GUI of the operating sytstem and a (badly written) decoration theme made by a user. Is just as odd as saying "that girl is ugly" because her purple hello-kitty t-shirt doesn't match so well with her military-style green trousers. You just demonstrated that a third-party theme doesn't match so well with AROS GUI elements: and now?

@Tomppeli

Installing AmigaOS 4.1 on SAM:
1. connect DVD-ROM and hard drive to the right SATA connectors
2. try booting
3. damn! it doesn't boot! why? Oh, right, they weren't the right connectors...
4. try other connectors until you spot the right ones (why aren't they specified on the manual?!?)
5. configure the poorly-written firmware to boot using the right peripheral
6. ignore all the configuration apps that AmigaOS 4.1 launches at startup even from CDROM
7. launch the partitioning application. Loose 1 hour to understand how it works.
8. create the partitions
9. set the correct filesystem. Which to use? Wow, let's use the journaled one... No, wait! System can't be booted from it. Ok, let's turn to SFS again
10. reboot
11. ignore all the configuration apps that AmigaOS 4.1 launches at startup even from CDROM
12. launch the installer and wait
13. reboot and remove installation CD
14. configure the firmware again, to boot from hard drive instead
15. the system doesn't work as expected
16. Oh, yes, I forgot: swap the SATA cables again, or the stupid firmware won't find a bootable partition
17. Turn on the SAM again
18. Enjoy AmigaOS 4.1

Installing AROS
1. connect two EIDE peripheral in the right way (hard drive on master 0, dvdrom on slave 0 or master 1)
2. configure BIOS to run from DVD first, from hard drive second.
3. boot Icaros. No stupid questions to answer when booting from DVD, only a check for USB compatibility
4. Launch InstallAROS
5. after partitioning, wait for the warm reboot to complete
6. Launch installAROS again
7. choose installing options and wait until the end
8. remove installation DVD and cold reboot

So, can you tell me what of those 2 procedures is the simpliest? If something has changed on the SAM side, I apologize starting from now, but that is exactly the procedure I had to follow in order to have AmigaOS 4.1 up and running on my SAM440EP, and actually it's the weakest point in all my OS4.1 experience so far.

Last edited by paolone on 30-Mar-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle