Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
35 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MarcioD:  11 mins ago
 Gunnar:  16 mins ago
 OlafS25:  20 mins ago
 kolla:  20 mins ago
 gryfon:  42 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment ... embarks on its most ambitious project to date
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment ... embarks on its most ambitious project to date
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 18:26:23
#221 ]
Elite Member

disturbing the thread with ontopic post:
If Hyperion is not implementing support for powerstation, the perhaps IBM PowerXCellTM 8i Accelerator Board could be used as a AOS4 CPU...

(system1:
-passive I/O board that connects IBM PowerXCellTM 8i and GFX card & USB I/O

system2:
-x86 motherboard + IBM PowerXCellTM 8i card
-x86 CPU does only I/O services etc. for AOS4 that runs on the IBM PowerXCellTM 8i
-later more stuff could be offloaded to the x86, like EUAE for old apps

system3:
-x86 motherboard + x86 CPU replaced with FPGA + IBM PowerXCellTM 8i card
(most likely there needs to be something on the CPU socket to make the motherboard to work as a passive busboard for IBM PowerXCellTM 8i and AOS4)

system4:
- whole new "Amiga" motherboard with PowerXCell CPU soldered on the motherboard
(way too pricey R&D ?) )

Last edited by KimmoK on 18-Apr-2009 at 02:46 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
Trev 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 18:28:42
#222 ]
Cult Member

@bernd_afa

It's not uncommon for vendors to maintain a private or separate branch of gcc. As long as it remained open source, Hyperion could call it the Magic Amiga Compiler Go Go Go and still use gcc as the core. As an outside observer, it seems to me like they do a good job of keeping the adtools project up to date.

I do wish, however, that the paths used by the compiler were relative rather than absolute. I don't like being forced (?) to use SDK:, /usr/local/amiga, etc., and it would be nice if there was a simple, target-friendly way to use the --with-sysroot option during the build process.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

Trev 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 18:31:06
#223 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

I'd like to see some enterprising developer write libraries for interacting with Cell-based add-in boards.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

Yabba 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 21:16:57
#224 ]

@bernd_afa

Quote:

seem you havent read it, but here again more clear, i am the only guy on OS4 that get a graphical source level debugger working on OS4.and that was some years ago

Funny, it doesn't seem like my graphical frontend for gdb is working on AOS4 any longer now... I am glad that you told me so.

To be honest... the contents of your posts are so ambiguous so it is hard to tell if you partially know what you are talking about, but try to make it look like you know more. Or if you are just trying to see how much you can wind people up.

regards,
Stefan Burström
Among others, these are some of my projects:
IBrowse
gdb AOS4 port
ggdb - Visual frontent for gdb
gcvs - Visual frontent for cvs
ixemul for AOS4
OpenSSL for AOS3 and AOS4
Amiga OS4 kernel
Snoopdos for AOS4
MUI for AOS4

abalaban 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 22:37:52
#225 ]

@Yabba

Quote:
Among others, these are some of my projects:
IBrowse
gdb AOS4 port
gcvs - Visual frontent for cvs
ixemul for AOS4
OpenSSL for AOS3 and AOS4
Amiga OS4 kernel
Snoopdos for AOS4
MUI for AOS4

Hmm there I can see many interesting projects, hmm ggdb, gcvs....

Chris_Y 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 22:54:48
#226 ]
Elite Member

@Yabba

Quote:
gdb AOS4 port

I take it this is the one in the SDK? I can't get it to work with apps compiled with the latest SDK. Or is your port a different one (if so where do I get it from?)

Hans 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 23:34:06
#227 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

Quote:

bernd_afa wrote:
@Hans
> doesn't develop for OS 4,

seem you havent read it, but here again more clear, i am the only guy on OS4 that get a graphical source level debugger working on OS4.and that was some years ago

No I haven't heard about this. Is it an OS4 native app? Or a 68k one that just happens to work? Regardless, you don't have OS4 and have voiced your disdain for it on numerous times.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 17-Apr-2009 23:35:51
#228 ]
Elite Member

@Yabba

Quote:

This thread is the first time that I've read that any graphical debuggers exist for OS 4. Is this frontend available publicly? Or still in development?

Hans

COBRA 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 7:57:07
#229 ]

@bernd_afa

Quote:
because compilers are very complex you cant say a compiler is 100% bug free, especial when optimizng.so it is also a good idea when port a program use the compiler they use, when problems come

Sure, there can always be bugs, but for an SDK, which is the official "development toolkit" for an OS, you want to make sure that you include a recent version of GCC, which has the fewest bugs.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 10:59:30
#230 ]
Cult Member

@Yabba

Quote:

Funny, it doesn't seem like my graphical frontend for gdb is working on AOS4 any longer now... I am glad that you told me so.

ok, to be even more precise and sorry for more offtopic i must explain more and need more sentence

I mean too Software that is make workable from non OS4 developer that get money for it.Or get more money if more OS4 is sell.you are a OS4 developer right and you have port gdb right ?.

But i have done it totally free that amiblitz inkl debugger (68k) work on OS4.

Also i mean with my sentence the amiblitz sourelevel debugger, and not port only a Unix program to OS4 or write a GUI for gdb.it was hard work for me, that Hyperion add 3-10 lines in their emulator so the tasktrap vektor in task structure do what rkm say.jump to a 68k code and execute it.

sure first was say the great new OS4 design allow this not, but i dont believe that, i can a little code and i am 99,999% sure that what OS4 currently can do, need not break compatibility much.at the end Hyperion add this little need feature that btw MOS have from beginning.but other 68k debuggers work not ok on OS4, only amiblitz debugger work.

i dont want to be forced to buy or use a OS4 machine if Hyperion is not able to make out of OS4 a attractive product, that 20000-30000 Users want use.
write a GUI for gdb you do, can work btw on all systems included 68k, MOS, AROS, because its simple GUI and no low level asm OS specific stuff is need as debuggers need.

Quote:

To be honest... the contents of your posts are so ambiguous so it is hard to tell if you partially know what you are talking about, but try to make it look like you know more. Or if you are just trying to see how much you can wind people up.

or you try that i look like i know nothing.but users can check my arguments, but what arguments have you, that i know nothing ?

then tell me wy this special OS4 interface have no other OS ?.
I see no technical reason if you access a jumptable with IExec->AllocMem.or use AllocMem or maybe Exec_AllicMem and gcc LPT macros that the job.this macros are in GCC additional add so it is possible to call functions from jumptable without ->.
if -> the better way, then gcc can be more easy, no code need to support lpt macros.

Maybe you should talk to GCC Team and Linux, that all PPC Linux should now call functions with stdio->malloc.

My think about OS4 interface is more a marketing Gag to show easy whow there are great things change , and on other side make it not so easy that OS4 programs port to other systems.but all in all it simple change the use of lpt macros by calling with ->
i think.

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129:10th-anniversary-new-website-launched&catid=38:corporate&Itemid=18

""""
Hyperion Entertainment wishes to thank its loyal customer-base for its continued support as it embarks on its most ambitious project to date – watch this space for further information.
""""

That here user interpret this sentence, that Hyperion work on memory protect, i also dont believe.maybe its some kind of support for Hyperion, let people hope that soon it go better.

i read this sentence as this, they want thanks there customer for support and OS4 is the biggest project Hyperion already done.And thats also true, because OS4 was realy more as Hyperions game ports or else they do.

and that should look on their homepage is also ok, because there come sometimes updates to OS4.

but interpret this sentence and get hope that Hyperion do a new API this i dont understand, wy is there no statement frim Hypeiron here ?

Want they that users think hyperion work on new API.
i think we do not poker here and bluffs are not very welcome.I for example want also not spend money to people that do announce long time or do bluff.

How fair commercial AOS sell and normal announce can be, can see on MOS(last years), airssoftsoftware.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 11:02 AM.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 11:12:18
#231 ]
Cult Member

@cobra.

Quote:

Sure, there can always be bugs, but for an SDK, which is the official "development toolkit" for an OS, you want to make sure that you include a recent version of GCC, which has the fewest bugs.

sure, but how can they know this compiler they release have the fewest bugs, there are no 4.3. or 4.4 or 4.5 compilers.

and what they have can see in addtools sourceforge i think.

Hans 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 11:13:22
#232 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

Quote:

bernd_afa wrote:
--------------------------------------------------

http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129:10th-anniversary-new-website-launched&catid=38:corporate&Itemid=18

""""
Hyperion Entertainment wishes to thank its loyal customer-base for its continued support as it embarks on its most ambitious project to date – watch this space for further information.
""""

That here user interpret this sentence, that Hyperion work on memory protect, i also dont believe.maybe its some kind of support for Hyperion, let people hope that soon it go better.

i read this sentence as this, they want thanks there customer for support and OS4 is the biggest project Hyperion already done.And thats also true, because OS4 was realy more as Hyperions game ports or else they do.

and that should look on their homepage is also ok, because there come sometimes updates to OS4.

To embark means to start something; they're definitely referring to something new.

Hans

bernd_afa 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 11:37:17
#233 ]
Cult Member

@Hans

>To embark means to start something; they're definitely referring to something new.

ah so, thanks for info, translater say something as a ship boat.so i mean embarks mean something as OS4 boat

http://www.dict.cc/dict/options.php

» Tabular list of translations | always
» List of translations starting with the same letters
» embark | embarks
embarks
schifft ein

but if they announce new but dont say in past 2 months what this are, or dont write something to the speculations here, this seem also a Poker bluff to me.

when they nothing precise announce, they think nobody think they are losers if they reach the goal not or too late.

But others (me too) understand what the reason is to force speculate.I think its not fair.such speculate keep users to wait and avoid other products that do not so unprecise announces.or should now MOS and AROS homepage add same sentence to Homepage ?

I dont want that guys that i think, be not fair get money from me.the world is bad enough, reason because it is so bad, is because unfair play get sometimes more money.sure there is court that should avoid this, but there is a big grey zone and it take long

see also ainc versus Hyperion.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 11:37 AM.

COBRA 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 12:27:31
#234 ]

@bernd_afa

Quote:
sure, but how can they know this compiler they release have the fewest bugs

Because a lot of different versions have been tested internally by OS4 developers, before the SDK was released with 4.2.4. And testing takes time, because you need to test a lot of different sources to be sure that it produces correct code. I think pretty much every SDK that was released for OS4 contained a newer version of GCC, so rest assured that there will be newer GCC versions released, once they are sufficiently tested and verified to be reliable.

COBRA 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 12:33:49
#235 ]

@bernd_afa

Quote:
but if they announce new but dont say in past 2 months what this are, or dont write something to the speculations here, this seem also a Poker bluff to me.

They probably hinted at the fact that they're working on something big, because they want to assure their customers that developments continue and that good things are coming, but they were not ready to make an announcement yet. If you think that this was just bluffing and that they're not working on anything serious, fine, we'll just have to wait and see if you're wrong or right

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 12:44:32
#236 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

Quote:
but if they announce new but don't say in past 2 months what this are, or dont write something to the speculations here, this seem also a Poker bluff to me.

You don't read news updates from Hyperion do you?

New AmigaOS 4.1 SDK available
Leuven, Belgium - 26. January, 2009

AmigaOS 4.1 for Pegasos II
Antwerp, Belgium - January 31, 2009.

OEM Version of AmigaOS 4.1 for SAM440ep imminent
Antwerp, Belgium - 17 September, 2008.

AmigaOS 4.1 gone Gold
Antwerp, Belgium - 6 August, 2008.

Announcing AmigaOS 4.1
Antwerp, Belgium - 11 July, 2008.

AmigaOS 4.0 February 2008 update for CyberStormPPC and BlizzardPPC available
Leuven, Belgium - 23. February, 2008

Quote:
MOS and AROS

I don't see what MorphOS or AROS has to do whit it, I'm a customer of Hyperion, I own AmigaOS4.0 and AmigaOS4.1 and Heretic II, Quake II, Decent Freespace.

My hardware is an AmigaONE-XE and it does work whit MorphOS or AROS,
and personally I don't think the clones has any thing to offer me.

itix 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 12:52:41
#237 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

Cliffhanger

bernd_afa 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 13:37:13
#238 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

You don't read news updates from Hyperion do you?

this was news before the sentence come on Hyperion Homepage.The Homepage is on since end february 2009

"""
embarks on its most ambitious project to date
"""

and with this sentence, there are some that think that Hypeiron do now much work for new OS4 API.

>I don't see what MorphOS or AROS has to do whit it,

if a OS4 Dev develop a GUI frontend for gdb and do it so it can easy port to other AOS, then dev on other AOS can write to on it.now 4 years later OS4 release seem no graphical debugger or IDE here as kdevelop etc on OS4 MOS AROS.maybe with work together, chances are better that this come...

for example now there are 3 OWB ports here, i think when all 3 devs work on a OWB that can easy port, then all 3 can work together on 1 OWB and OWB get 3* more feature instead that every 3 devs must add the feature and need code much change.

problem on amiga is few software, and this really get not more, if devs need do same work on several system.

only on old programs as YAM and Simple Mail aweb is working together possible and this programs are specific written for AOS and need lots AOS commands.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 13:42:39
#239 ]
Team Member

@bernd_afa

Quote:
this was news before the sentence come on Hyperion Homepage.The Homepage is on since end february 2009

February 2009, which was 2 months ago. So, two months ago they announced that they're working on something major and will clarify later, like thousands of other companies. I do not see what the problem with this is exactly.

Quote:
for example now there are 3 OWB ports here, i think when all 3 devs work on a OWB that can easy port, then all 3 can work together on 1 OWB and OWB get 3* more feature instead that every 3 devs must add the feature and need code much change.

Well, the OS4 port is a Reaction port, the MorphOS one is a MUI4 port and the AROS one is a Zune/MUI3.x port. Porting OWB is all about building a GUI around the engine and while the MorphOS and AROS ports can (and do) share code, MUI code would not be particularly useful for the OS4 port.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 18-Apr-2009 14:07:20
#240 ]
Cult Member

@Zardoz

Quote:

So, two months ago they announced that they're working on something major and will clarify later, like thousands of other companies. I do not see what the problem with this is exactly.

ok, how long should we wait now until Hyperion tell as on what big the work ?

i need to know, so i can stop AFA because Hyperion maybe do really good that i and 10000 others like to buy. :)

Quote:

MUI code would not be particularly useful for the OS4 port.

then we have luck that there is no seperate YAM ,simple mail.
zune was port from Sebastian Bauer to OS4 years ago, (os4 ifdefs code is in AROS source in).So if the reason for no MUI GUI on OS4 is that there is no progress in OS4 mui, zune can fill the Gap.
I also dont know if on MOS MUI4 is enhanced in last time from Stuntzi and when there come a Final MUI4 with drag and drop.

zune is nice as MUI4 and can too work together with MUI (see in AFA) so old incompatible apps can still work.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 19-Apr-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 18-Apr-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle