Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  33 secs ago
 Hammer:  2 mins ago
 Kronos:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  9 mins ago
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 AndreasM:  24 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  39 mins ago
 VooDoo:  43 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OSNews.com's OS4.1/Sam review is now available
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
Daedalus 
Re: OSNews.com's OS4.1/Sam review is now available
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 0:20:27
#141 ]

@cv643d
Quote:

cv643d wrote:

I should have known that Ramiga + D was delete, how have I missed that for 19 years?

I firmly believe AmigaOS 4.*+ can blow OSX to hell with some further polish (especially in usability area). But asking users to learn Arexx just to enable buttons is a bit hardcore IMHO.

TBH I don't think it was in 3.x - it's a 4.0 improvement. I guess the idea early on was as a sort of safety net to prevent you deleting things by accident, especially as it's a "hard" delete and not simply a move to the trashcan as standard.

Yes, I agree no new user (or old, for that matter) should *have* to make these ARexx scripts. I enjoy making them, but that's just me. But it really wouldn't be much work to include a bunch of them with the OS, say a Snap-to-grid one for icon positioning (one I used a lot in 3.9 - must copy it over...), a Delete one, an Open parent, Close all except active, and so on. If they were included with the OS, a program like FKey could just offer a choice of special Workbench scripts that you can attach to whatever key/event you like, without typing a line of code.

Profile     Report this post  
Tomas 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 1:22:51
#142 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@jkirk

Correct - if one buys a motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, etc they always come with a backplate. That way motherboard manufacturers can arrange the ports the way it suits them best and people can still put them in any standard enclosure without messing up their airflow.

Acube promised a backplate anyways... I really wonder what happened to that
Would have thought those backplates would have been shipped by now..

CodeSmith 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 5:43:56
#143 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

I know, it's pretty sad. It's not like it's a highly complex piece of engineering, it's just a die cut piece of springy steel about two by four inches. I very much doubt they cost even one hundredth the price of the motherboard to make. ACube is not including them simply because they don't think it's worth their while to.

Plexus 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 11:14:30
#144 ]

@Hans
But I Hate click to front, better to decide self. too much automatik sucks

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

Hans 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 12:02:15
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Plexus

Quote:

Plexus wrote:
@Hans
But I Hate click to front, better to decide self. too much automatik sucks

I've already said this before, but you have to double-click to bring a window to the front, so it's not automatic; it does it when you want it to. Added to that, you can change the behaviour to suit whatever you want.

I think that it should be the default setting to be able to bring a window to the front quickly by double-clicking. People who don't like it can disable it again.

Hans

Tomppeli 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 18:45:56
#146 ]

@Thom + all

Anybody saying Amiga should copy Winblows/mainstream. Well, last time I saw some figures published Mac had grown its market share from 4% to 10%. While Linux have stayed in 4% all past years. Mac has stayed being unique. Their menu strip is always on top of the screen, they use a dock instead of a taskbar and so on, for example. The most popular desktop managers on Linux systems are KDE or Gnome and those two are copying Winblows more or less. So if Amiga wants new users it should stay unique. Improve your system in those areas where mainstream ones sucks. Why anybody would move away from Winblows if all other systems were like it. Winblows will always have more software, greater HW support and people will use it because it has so big market share.

* icon and window snapshotting
I like myself that user has more control. But sometimes there could exist a little bit more automation maybe. Maybe they could add new menu options by default to "reorganize icons", "resize to fit" and then snapshot them all with a single menu selection. Also installing some apps which have many sub-directories. It's authors who don't create icons for all directories where it could be useful. Sometimes they've snapshotted icons for their selected screen mode which doesn't work for everybody with different screen modes. So authors of SW should be more careful when creating archives and take other people into account.

* files/dirs without icons + "show all" option
A normal user is not supposed to use some files or dirs directly but they should be handled by the main app from its GUI. So such files/dirs should stay invisible. But sometimes SW authors don't create icons for all files/dirs which should have them. So once again I say spend more time creating archives and think a little more when creating them. Don't make them like in big hurry. (I hate people who put everything to main level of an archive and don't use a sub-dir.) Like in Linux (and Unix also, I guess) any file which name starts with dot is hidden and you have to select "show hidden files" from a menu (at least Ubuntu/Gnome, I don't know how other distros handles those files). Also MSDOS/Winblows has "hide" protection flag for files. We have that implementation what we have.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 18:50:48
#147 ]

@Thom + all

* Easier installation of commodities
That's why I created CxInstall (os4depot). (Maybe I should put it into OpenAmiga.) I don't know how people have taken that little app ? I hope authors of commodities could add their program into its datafile. The datafile is simple XML (human readable). Just make sure if you change the datafile that everything works right afterwards. The datafile in the first release didn't contain much options.

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 19:05:15
#148 ]

@Tomppeli

If you are going to use such terms as 'winblows', a rather childish and unhelp term, why not use the name 'Linsux', or 'losers-unix' for Linux.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/good-linux-users-dont-talk-about-microsoft/

Last edited by Stephen_Robinson on 17-Jul-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 19:13:19
#149 ]

@Stephen_Robinson

Wi**o*s is a sort of swear word to me. Hard to write or say. But maybe you're right and I should write names of all systems in similar way (except Amiga). (I've been a little disappointed to Luunix too.)

Quote:
'losers-unix' for Linux

I guess many Unix experts would agree with you.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 17-Jul-2009 at 07:14 PM.

MichaelMerkel 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 19:23:12
#150 ]
Cult Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:

Tomppeli wrote:
...Maybe they could add new menu options by default to "reorganize icons", "resize to fit" and then snapshot them all with a single menu selection.

use that here: reorg_win.rexx

just add it to your envarc:ContextMenus.cfg like this:

Directory,SEPARATOR
Directory,Resize to fit,PM_INVOKEWB,WINDOW.RESIZETOFIT
Directory,Cleanup/Resize/Snapshot,CLI,rx REXX:reorg_win.rexx
Directory,SEPARATOR

byebye...

Tomppeli 
Posted on 17-Jul-2009 20:58:21
#151 ]

@MichaelMerkel

Thanks. You should add that to "Genuine Tips or Insight for AmigaOS" thread in Amigans. (Somebody could create similar thread to AW.net.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle