Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  33 mins ago
 matthey:  40 mins ago
 K-L:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 sibbi:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 59 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  5 hrs 54 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Market research for new PowerPC system
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
evilrich 
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 6:35:14
#161 ]
Cult Member

@Samurai_Crow

Totally off-topic, and I may be talking completely out of my bottom, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:

Alpha was declared by the AI that Gateway owned and so was x86 initially (with respect to the users of the Siamese system).

As I remember it, DEC wanted to license AmigaOS as an OS to run on the Alpha in the Commodore days. There were no post-Commodore notions of supporting the Alpha that I remember other than a third-party initiative from Siamese Systems. (Siamese did offer x86/Amiga systems too, but I don't know that that was ever seriously endorsed by whichever Amiga, Inc. was in power. Gateway wanted to jump ship entirely to x86, especially in the Collas era, and - from a conversation I had with Collas - it had everything to do with some cool x86-compatible cores allegedly coming from the far east and nothing to do with what compatibility solutions might exist for running existing 68k applications on the same box).

Quote:

AmigaDE was in the works before Jim Collas took over and the more recent incarnations of AI were just a continuation of those plans.

Really? In what sense, "in the works?" In the Gateway era we cycled through BeOS (who were too busy pimping themselves as the next MacOS), QNX and Linux as the next-gen AmigaOS. Nobody was touting DE until Amino bought the Amiga brand from Gateway.

Quote:

The TAO group and several others were formed using information owned by Amiga Inc. in 1998.

Nonsense. Tao was set up even before the death of Commodore (I'll even stoop to a Wikipedia link). When I spoke to Tao (it was 10 years ago, so my memory may be a little foggy), Chris Hinsley told me he came up with the idea for VP while porting games for 8-bit platforms (Pyjamarama was one of his, I recall). It had nothing to do with Amiga, Inc. It was just another train for the wannabe Amiga to jump on.

Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 9:32:25
#162 ]

Quote:

Amiga Operating System = AmigaOS.

MorphOS runs Amiga applications, and provides the AmigaOS API.

I'm sorry you can't accept it, but MorphOS is an AmigaOS. The fact it's called MorphOS or FooOS is irrelevant to that.

Now, stoping your judgement at the name level (it's not called "Amiga", it's not AmigaOS), really shows you have no idea of what is AmigaOS... MorphOS runs Amiga software (including OS4), feels like AmigaOS.

If there's one guy trolling here, it's surely not me...

Last edited by Leo on 29-Sep-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 10:46:11
#163 ]
Team Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
The TAO group and several others were formed using information owned by Amiga Inc. in 1998. The basic idea was to try to avoid takeover by Microsoft by spreading the intellectual property around to several small startups. After all of the startups were on solid footing, there was supposed to be a many-company merger between them all to form the new AI.

!? Tao Group were formed in 1992 and they were a british company. They released their first VM on the same year.

Quote:
I was just passing along what Fleecy had told me. He obviously must have been talking out of the wrong end.

Fleecy almost always is.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 10:59:12
#164 ]

@Zardoz

It's frustrating to see that the trial case where the rights for the AmigaOS are the main focus, still is contiuening. The case has been lasting for almost 2 years now!

I don't really think that PowerPC should be the only CPU platform to be supported in the latest AmigaOS. We should keep an eye on other CPU platforms like Cell, ARM and x86. To make more alternative hardwares using Cell and ARM, as well as different but cheap PPC running AmigaOS would help a lot and that is important. We know that PPC has performed far better and much more efficiently than x86 when using AmigaOS, right?

Also, i have tried AROS on x86. It might seem interesting, but when using the LIVE CD, it is not as interesting at all. Mostly because AmigaOS itself was never developed to run natively on x86. AROS acts mostly like a virtual OS. I didn't find AROS so inspiring on x86, really. I prefer a true AmigaOS on true Amiga-hardware, no matter what CPU the Amiga is using, but the point is to run a true, native AmigaOS.

Running AROS under AmigaOS however might work in a much better way, because they are similar in almost every way. Running AROS on top of a Windows-system that was never designed to run a native AmigaOS is...well, not such an interesting thing, in my point of view..

I was thinking of making another YouTube video commenting the ongoing trial case and to make a clear point that this case has to come to an end now. An end that will make everybody happy with the result that might come. Unfortunately, Amiga Inc has not done what they once promised the community. They simply failed and now they take the blame on Hyperion Entertaiment, who have done the hard work on AmigaOS 4 line. Amiga Inc has violated the community with this pointless trial case, only to get their hands on something they never created themselves. What an amateur...

steril606 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:17:32
#165 ]

@HKvalhe

Install AROS on your harddrive, which gets you a native system, problem solved..

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:21:19
#166 ]
Team Member

@HKvalhe

Quote:
Also, i have tried AROS on x86. It might seem interesting, but when using the LIVE CD, it is not as interesting at all. Mostly because AmigaOS itself was never developed to run natively on x86. AROS acts mostly like a virtual OS. I didn't find AROS so inspiring on x86, really. I prefer a true AmigaOS on true Amiga-hardware, no matter what CPU the Amiga is using, but the point is to run a true, native AmigaOS.

Huh? Virtual OS? AROS runs natively on x86 and implements the AmigaOS API. For all intents and purposes it's an x86 clone of AmigaOS. What makes it not-that-interesting to me is the lack of software.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:33:55
#167 ]

@steril606

Oh yes, right. Good point. Might try that...I need more time to remember what it was to use the Amiga. Haven't used the AmigaOS since 2006..

@All

AROS being native might be right. The bad side is the lack of software support, of course, as one pointed out..

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:43:53
#168 ]
Elite Member

@HKvalhe

AROS is like running MS Windows NT 4.0 on PowerPC or MIPS i.e. "Windows NT 4.0" PowerPC or MIPS editions looks and feels** like Windows NT 4.0 X86.
**APIs, file layout, GUI look and 'etc'.

Last edited by Hammer on 29-Sep-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 29-Sep-2009 at 11:46 AM.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:46:58
#169 ]

@Hammer

Interesting way of putting it, but might be true...

Eh, this is a little out of the blue, but how do i install AROS from the Live CD into the PC-harddrive that has WIN7 installed? I just need to know this one, and i should be able to handle the rest..

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:55:14
#170 ]
Elite Member

@HKvalhe

Quote:

HKvalhe wrote:
@Hammer

Interesting way of putting it, but might be true...

Eh, this is a little out of the blue, but how do i install AROS from the Live CD into the PC-harddrive that has WIN7 installed? I just need to know this one, and i should be able to handle the rest..

I haven't installed AROS on non-virtualbox machine, but I installed IcAROS 1.1.5 within VirtualBox's HD.

I probably install it on my old IBM T20 laptop.

steril606 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:55:22
#171 ]

@HKvalhe

I would advise you to build up some kind of dedicated box for installing AROS first, so you don't accidentally trash your Windows or any other partition that might happen to be on the same harddisk. You know, that can happen.. Especially if you are not experienced with the installer...

And, I'd recommend to you getting the Icaros Distro instead of the live cd, it's much more user oriented. Push it into your DVD-Drive, boot it, open Aros/tools/installer or something like that, and there you go...

Please remember my advice from above, don't try to install it on the same hd as you other OSes on your x86 box if you don't really know what you are doing..

peace,
Steril

steril606 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:57:16
#172 ]

@Samurai Crow and Zardoz

Crazy to hear to paid 5 Million Dollars for a licence and manage to get out no useful or selling product...
I really wonder why they (/him? It's just McEwen now isn't it?), don't call it a day, and let the IP go...

eXec.pl 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 12:14:40
#173 ]

@Leo
Quote:
MorphOS runs Amiga applications

MorphOS can run only old Amiga applications like WinUAE and few new PPC applications. MorphOS is not compatible with the most of the latest Amiga applications.

Quote:
provides the AmigaOS API

Not compatible with the latest version of AmigaOS. For example MorphOS doesn't have working ARexx which is part of AmigaOS 2.

Quote:
I'm sorry you can't accept it, but MorphOS is an AmigaOS.

MorphOS is different product. I've heard that MorphOS is faster and better than AmigaOS. I don't know if this statement is true but if MorphOS is realy faster than AmigaOS it means it's not AmigaOS.

Quote:
The fact it's called MorphOS or FooOS is irrelevant to that.

It's is very irrelevant to me. AmigaOS is part of platform created by Jay Miner. MorphOS is not part of the Amiga legend. This is different platform.

Quote:
MorphOS runs Amiga software (including OS4), feels like AmigaOS.

WinUAE also runs Amiga software. It's not argument to me. MorphOS is not AmigaOS. I'm using AmigaOS. You are using MorphOS. We are using two different Operating System. I'm AmigaOS user, you are not AmigaOS user.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 12:18:46
#174 ]

@steril606

I will keep this in mind. Thank you. Might try another distribution of AROS

I wouldn't dare to install AROS on the same harddrive. That could cause quite a mess..

Arko 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 13:21:00
#175 ]

@feanor

Nice project but as long as it's not supported by Hyperion, it is pretty worthless for AmigaOS4. Did you ask Hyperion or ACube and did you get a reply ?

OT:
Did you ask the MOS-Team if they would port MorphOS, maybe AmigaOS4 users can use MorphOS together with the emulation library like they did it on the Pegasos before ?

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Crumb 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 13:37:08
#176 ]
Elite Member

@eXec.pl

Quote:
It's is very irrelevant to me. AmigaOS is part of platform created by Jay Miner. MorphOS is not part of the Amiga legend. This is different platform.

FYI and according to your beloved Amiga Inc, OS4 is illegal and can't be called "AmigaOS".

OS4 was not developed by Jay Miner, David Haynie, Carl Sassenrath or any other old amiga legend. You probably won't find many lines of code written by them.

MorphOS in contrast was developed by the guys who bringed Amiga users the first RTG system, the first 060 system, the first powerpc system, the first 64bit HD solution...

OS4 wouldn't exist if MorphOS guys had not kept Amiga market alive.

Quote:
MorphOS is different product. I've heard that MorphOS is faster and better than AmigaOS. I don't know if this statement is true but if MorphOS is realy faster than AmigaOS it means it's not AmigaOS.

I heard AmigaOS3.x is better than the original and true AmigaOS1.x developed by the original Amiga Team, if AmigaOS3.x is better than the original and true AmigaOS1.x it means it's not AmigaOS

Quote:
MorphOS can run only old Amiga applications like WinUAE and few new PPC applications. MorphOS is not compatible with the most of the latest Amiga applications.

uh? when you say "Amiga applications" I guess you mean "OS4" apps. Remember Amiga Inc does no longer allows Hyperion to use their name.

Hardware developments that run OS4 can't use the word Amiga because these machines are not Amigas. These machines don't run AmigaOS (since Hyperion is selling OS4 using the word "Amiga" against the will of Amiga Inc)

Quote:
Not compatible with the latest version of AmigaOS. For example MorphOS doesn't have working ARexx which is part of AmigaOS 2.

nonsense. MorphOS can run WarpOS apps much better than the last versions of AmigaOS (last AmigaOS official version was 3.9 even thought it was a collection of stolen software like AmiTCP, remember than Amiga Inc does not allow Hyperion to distribute AmigaOS and Hyperion is breaking the law, trying to steal the rights of AmigaOS with an argument like "you asked me to change a wheel but I exchanged the car engine 4 years late so you owe me lots of millions").

Last edited by Crumb on 29-Sep-2009 at 01:37 PM.

feanor 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 13:37:41
#177 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@feanor

Nice project but as long as it's not supported by Hyperion, it is pretty worthless for AmigaOS4. Did you ask Hyperion or ACube and did you get a reply ?

Of what use will that be, unless I know the market? Why waste their time if there are only 30 potential buyers (so far)? That's the point of a market research. If the market is big enough, then I will definitely try to arrange a deal with either (or both) teams. If not, then there' s not much point in wasting anyone's time. Every self-respecting investor would require/demand a market research before he spends out his cash, why should this case be any different.

But to tell you the truth, what I'm seeing here is group of "rebels without cause". I see complaints everytime that "AmigaOS doesn't work on x86", "noone spends money to do it", "we don't have new (ppc or not) hardware", "AROS is not mature enough", "we are hobbyists and a niche market but why should I spend more money than my friend who got his i7 for the same amount?", etc. The list goes on. I see here a bunch of grown up teenagers, that want to go back to their youth days, playing on the Amiga and feeling as proud as they were then when they proudly showed their Amiga to their PC friends who envied. They want to do that, but they don't want to invest anything in that cause. No money, no time, no developnent (if you like AROS solution so much, why don't you help with porting apps to it).

As I said before, it's early to jump into conclusions about the numbers, but I will be sincere. I expected 3x as many people to send mail in the first days. I thought that many were like myself, I thought that the market was "dying" for a nice motherboard, this why I started the research. I may be a PowerPC enthusiast, but I'm not just going to spend 150k¤ (or more) for design and production, only to see a handful of people buying the boards. I *HAD* to know what the market is. And so far I'm not impressed.

If you *really* want a new board, send as many emails as you can. IF the number is adequate, THEN I will approach Hyperion/MorphOS team with a concrete number and system specs. Otherwise, what am I going to ask? Port AOS/MOS to what? What features? What time frame? What budget? Sorry, it just DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. If you don't like this, then I might as well save me the trouble and move to ARM and save myself the delay. I don't know how to make it more clear.

Last edited by feanor on 29-Sep-2009 at 01:40 PM.

HKvalhe 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 14:03:23
#178 ]

@Crumb

And this is clearly why i hate Amiga Inc so much now. They got me very ####ed off this situation. They are violating the whole community and the Amiga platform. Hyperion Entertainment have done everything that Amiga Inc never did!

This ridicilous attack from AI at Hyperion has to stop now, or everything will be doomed...

damocles 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 14:38:07
#179 ]

@feanor

Quote:
If you don't like this, then I might as well save me the trouble and move to ARM and save myself the delay.

One nice thing about going with ARM, it doesn't have the stench of death associated to it.

olegil 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 15:12:19
#180 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:

minator wrote:
@feanor

Does it have to be a Freescale CPU? This 1.6GHz chip was just announced.

I actually just now found the time to sit down and read the ACTUAL press release regarding the 476FP

It's not a chip. It's a core. So someone (else, aka not IBM) will need to take this core, pair it with DDR2/3 controller, PCIe, serial ports, ethernet, etc. And THEN make a chip of that. So all in all pretty frigging far from production

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle