Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
33 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  25 secs ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  6 mins ago
 michalsc:  9 mins ago
 pixie:  18 mins ago
 zipper:  27 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  34 mins ago
 Karlos:  59 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Hollywood-users - what are you working on ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
kas1e 
Re: Hollywood-users - what are you working on ?
Posted on 5-Feb-2010 10:02:44
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Allanon
Scui-lib looks pertty interesting. Can you say more technical details about ? How it will be used in end by the hollywood programmers ? Just open lib + use functions from it ? As i see on video, there is Drop-Down menus, so, it will be possible at last make right-mouse-button works for spawn the menu like in all the system apps ? If so, then i think your library in end must be included to basic hollywood distrib.

Anyway, can you say more about ?

Profile     Report this post  
Allanon 
Posted on 5-Feb-2010 13:22:24
#42 ]

@kas1e

Drop-Down menus are full working now, I've just to handle the right-mouse button to pop up them: I hope to implement this feature this weekend, next I'd like to insert context menus too.

Actually the supported gadget classes are:
- BevelBox
- Label (and GroupFrame)
- Button
- Switch
- Options
- Scrollbar
- GaugeBar
- StringBox
- ImageBox
- ListView
- Cycle (but needs some tuning)
- Tabs (but needs a complete reimplementation)

Recently I've added support for images in Labels, Buttons and Switches so you can build your GUi with nice icons, only text or a combination of them.

A translation mechanism has been implemented to change language of the GUI on the fly.
Multiline support for labels, buttons and switches.

ScuiLib features a layout system that once defined handles automatically all GUI resizes.
Every gadget can be customized in many ways, from its behaviours to its graphical aspect.

Every gadgets can react to many events, for example buttons can react to the events:
- OnPushed --> when the user release the button after left mouse click
- OnDown --> as soon as the button is pressed down (without waiting the left mouse button release)

Scrollbar reacts to the events:
- OnDrag --> when the cursor is moved your function is called
- OnChange --> when the cursor position changes using the arrows, clicking in its body or dragging the cursor (but only when the cursor is released the event is generated)

and so on...

The library comes with many helper and debug functions.

All you need to use ScuiLib is include it in your project with:
Quote:

@INCLUDE "your_path/ScuiLib.hws"
@INCLUDE "your_path/Defaults_Standard.hws"

The first file is the library itself, the second one is where all ScuiLib preferences and the default theme are defined.

-------

About the contrib in the HW package the version 0.6 is included in the standard Hollywood distribution but since many changes has come from the latest release I need to completly rewrite the documentation, that's why the latest release (still never released) is not included with Hollywood.

Just to have an idea here is a sample code that define a single button:
Quote:

scui.NewObject( #IFOCLASS_BUTTON , "OptionsButton", nil, nil, nil, { Values = { "Options" }, Shortcut = "o" }, { OnPushed = Prefs_Window } )

With this single line you have defined a button named "OptionsButton", the visualized text is "Options". The shortcut is the character 'o' and every time this button is pressed the function 'Prefs_Window' is called automatically.

The 3 nil in sequence represent respectively the position, the size, and the graphical aspect if you want to override the loaded theme. The position and the size fields usually are nil because the layout system take care of the calculations for you, you have to tell the him only the order of the gadgets, the % of space reserved for them in the gui and the orientation.

I'm trying to find the time to write the documentation or at least a series of tutorials.

Still much work (and optimization) is needed to have a complete GUI library but what is available is usable and stable.

If you need more details just ask

p-OS 
Posted on 5-Feb-2010 14:25:37
#43 ]

@Templario

There already exists the official mailing list (Andreas, the author of Hollywood is quite active there).

And a Hollywood forum @amiga-resistance.info. People there help a lot each other. There is a also the possibility to upload your source files and appliacations done with Hollywood.

But utilitybase surely would be a good choice, too.

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Feb-2010 16:40:32
#44 ]
Elite Member

@p-OS

I trying to subscribe to Hollywood mailing list 2 weeks ago (over hollywood site), but have no reply from Andreas. So, will be cool to have some kind of "open for everyone" developer's hollywood based forum. UB.com are nice pretindent imho

Last edited by kas1e on 05-Feb-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 05-Feb-2010 at 04:51 PM.

fuskoSCN 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 20:56:21
#45 ]

@all

Here is an example on how it is possible to use Hollywood for professional work.

These pictures are from a show In Bergen (Norway) this January. As you can see the big screen is showing our infochannel Dental Kanal (Dental channel) running on a SAM + os4.1.

http://www.ferrule-media.no/Bergen2010/DentalKanal.jpg

The two smaller screens are showing Dental Info (hosted on Windows). This is me demonstrating the software to a customer.

http://www.ferrule-media.no/Bergen2010/Vestlandsmoetet1.jpg

http://www.ferrule-media.no/Bergen2010/Vestlandsmoetet2.jpg

Both Dental Kanal and Dental Info is made using Hollywood 4.5 + Designer.

(At the show we sold one Dental Kanal(amiga) and got 21 new users of our software Dental Info.)

Best regards

Torgeir :)

fuskoSCN 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 11:56:32
#46 ]

With the recent release of Hollywood on Windows-machines I guess we will see an increase in Hollywood-made projects now :)

I wonder what will come!

gerograph 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 13:43:35
#47 ]
Cult Member

@fuskoSCN

Quote:
The two smaller screens are showing Dental Info (hosted on Windows). This is me demonstrating the software to a customer.

I take the customer . !!!

you can have HW for Windows...

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

fuskoSCN 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 13:52:34
#48 ]

@gerograph

Well, I develop using Designer, and this is Amiga-only. And from what I understand this is not likely to change :)

So even if we make executables and sell windows-software we will continue to do all development on real Amigas.

In the end, developing on amiga is what is making it fun anyway :)

Torgeir

gerograph 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 14:43:48
#49 ]
Cult Member

@fuskoSCN

yes, agree. One more question:

Scrolling is much muche more smother on my old windows machine, than same presentation in 600x800 on my SAM. Do you accept the "unsmooth behaviour" of the SAMs or do you suggest Win machines to your customers...

fuskoSCN 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 17:06:10
#50 ]

@gerograph

Dental Kanal was developed from the start with SAM in mind. We were lucky to have beta-versions of os4 on SAM long before the OS got released to the public.

The current version of Dental Kanal only uses 1 effect - crossfade. In my eyes less is more.. so adding alot of different effects makes it looks less professional.

Airsoft Softwair was very helpful by adding hardware accelerated crossfade-effect in OS4. The SAM has got 64mb of gfx-mem and that ammount makes it possible to crossfade two fullscreenor-pictures 1366x768 very smoothly.

So in my eyes the amigaversion looks perfect when it comes to speed and effects. There is no need to sell the pc-version at the moment. However we do offer it (but it is much more expensive compared to the amiga-version).

gerograph 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 20:46:15
#51 ]
Cult Member

@fuskoSCN

well, I have to test on that one...

check my (short) presentation here:

www.geobiz.de/download.htm

It stutters about twice a second on SAM, it goes very smooth on Win. This is for all effects/wipes incl. textscrolling. Does not matter how many effects I have, the screen is only 600x800, still stutters.

Take for example the WavyLogo Demo from Hollywood. It has a framrate monitor at the top right corner. Frame rate is 25 here on my sam, but twice a second, it drops to 12frames a sec.... which it doesn't on windows.

Last edited by gerograph on 07-Feb-2010 at 08:59 PM.

fuskoSCN 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 20:54:01
#52 ]

@gerograph

Well, as mentioned it is only "crossfade" that is hardware-accelerated under os4 - so all other effects will be faster on a pc because of the more powerful hardware.

Check out my presentation (1366*768) under OS4 (remember to add the "execute" protection )

http://www.ferrule-media.no/amiga/Dental-Kanal-real-OS4

Make sure you have enough free gfx-mem so do not have too many programs/windows open.

Torgeir

Last edited by fuskoSCN on 07-Feb-2010 at 08:58 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 21:00:21
#53 ]
Cult Member

@fuskoSCN

Thanx, I'll check that one... but not today any more...

fuskoSCN 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 21:06:34
#54 ]

@gerograph

Just looked at your presentation - I can see some effects are too slow on my sam667mhz. This is mostly related to scolling of large pictures.

Still, nice work!!!

Torgeir

r-tea 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 21:33:38
#55 ]

@Allanon

SCUIlib seems to be inspired by MUI. I really like it.
What is the current state of SCUI abilities in comparison with MUI?
Would it be possible (if you would like to do it) to open and use MUI libs within HW source code?

Allanon 
Posted on 7-Feb-2010 22:30:52
#56 ]

@r-tea

Well... to be honest actually there are no comparisons, but still ScuiLib is the only choice if you want to build easily GUIs with Hollywood and with the implemented classes and the layout system it's very usable and stable.
I'm trying to do my best to help Hollywood programmers (and myself) with ScuiLib, I'm happy to see interest around this project :)

MUI Lib as any other library is not usable directly by Hollywood, I don't know if Andreas will add support for this features... for sure this feature will break cross compiling rules.

Just for the record I've just implemented the right-mouse-button menus and actually I'm writing documentation.

r-tea 
Posted on 8-Feb-2010 13:05:59
#57 ]

@Allanon

It's ok :) I asked 'cause I was just curious.
If SCUI is gonna follow MUI with it's best and unique features (as it seems to be), then there will be no need to use MUI lib at all :)

alfkil 
Posted on 8-Feb-2010 17:25:06
#58 ]

Quote:
Hollywood forum on amiga-resistance.info

Eihhhh....! I used to be really good at German back in the days when AmigaPlus was the only magazine you could get in Denmark. Today it just gives me the creeps... (Sorry, can't help it!) Please, could we have an English speaking forum for Hollywood?! The mailinglist is great, but my gmail account is already starting to fill up with too much crap, and it would be sooo much better with an forum page!

Quote:
Japairs game

Nice idea, and nice looking too! And yeah, I've been doing the png-for-text for my own app as well

@geograph:

Strange, on my SAM the WavyLogo is almost rock stable at 25 fps!? I wonder, if something is different on your setup? I have sam-flex 667MHz with 1 GB RAm and Radeon 9250.

@MRodfr
Quote:
Sprite Creator missing example project

Thanks for the report! I just updated the Sprite Creator archive on os4depot. It is now available for download!

Also, I have uploadet the 1 GB version of my game BE Fighters to os4depot. So far I have had little report on it, but some people are very impressed with the menus and very disappointed, when they see the actual game... Part of this is probably because I'm not a graphics artist(!) and part of it is probably because the photes used as basis for the graphics where done 12 years ago(!) Also, in its current resolution it is utterly impossible to add scrolling to the background, which makes the game look a bit dull and static. There is utterly nothing, that I can do about these things and about the enormous memory requirement at this point, but I'm conversing heavily with Andreas to make improvements on the sprite system and other things to make it possible.

At this point, BE Fighters is more a "proof of concept" than an actual game, but I encourage everyone who wants to see, what Hollywood can actually do gamewise, to download it, run it and keep in mind the things, I have mentioned above (and first of all, how the whole thing could easily improve its appearences, if a good graphics artist had come along!). If you don't have OS 4 or don't have 1 GB of memory, I encourage you to get a Windows machine and download the windows version instead (it also runs a lot more smooth):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2920309/BEF-win32.zip

A Mac OS X version is also available on request.

Last edited by alfkil on 08-Feb-2010 at 06:13 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 8-Feb-2010 20:31:29
#59 ]
Cult Member

@fuskoSCN

Well, tried your presentation, looks nice.... nice scrolling, but cannot compare it with my one, because the effects you use are running smoothly on my SAM anyway.
Also text scrolling stutters on my SAM

@alfkil
Quote:
Strange, on my SAM the WavyLogo is almost rock stable at 25 fps!? I wonder, if something is different on your setup? I have sam-flex 667MHz with 1 GB RAm and Radeon 9250.

YES IT IS STRANGE, I THINK I DO A BIT MORE INVESTIGATION ON THAT !!!! These are my specs:

SAM 667 512RAM (not flex/no Graphicadapter).

I may open a thread later on, on this topic...

ChrisH 
Posted on 8-Feb-2010 21:25:34
#60 ]
Elite Member

Quick question: Can Hollywood do something like this:
http://mugtug.com/sketchpad/
(Which was coded using the new HTML5 canvas & (presumably) Javascript. It even sort-of works in OWB, albiet veeery slooowly, which is a miracle.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle