Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Deaths_Head:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  19 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 Frank:  32 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  51 mins ago
 nikosidis:  57 mins ago
 lionstorm:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Dave73:  1 hr 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Zylesea 
Re: MorphOS on the fastest ppc consumer computer ever!
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:41:21
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:

Here we have a G5 and sure it's 2nd hand implied (unless you bought one new already) so a damn lot cheaper than a new G5 machine.

Well, I guess you will have a little time to decide whether to gor for a G5 or not. th escreenshot of yesterday was just the 1st screenshot. Probably thing will take a while. My guess: definitely longer than 14 days, but probably shorter than the infamous "two more weeks".
Next release (to be expected in September) will introduce the PowerMac G4 (MDD and probably some more) support.

Profile     Report this post  
DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:43:28
#102 ]
Elite Member

@clebin
it would seem like a chicken and egg situation: "sure if we all support they stay in business and make new HW new SW, long live Amiga yeah!"............HOWEVER......I for one won't support them!!

I already have a powerful do it all machine, so what I would really like additionally is an Amiga.
I envision Amiga as an alternative computer running the official AmigaOS, clones running on PCs and Macs are welcome, they are a good back-up plan, but as long as there is a chance of supporting the out of the box custom computer idea, I will, I won't be waiting on the sidelines hoping for these guys to fail.

Kronos 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 15:52:54
#103 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Well, it does state "evaluation board" and "email us for quotation" for over 5 boards .....
So it's quite clear that that was NOT the price for a reasonable sized production batch.

Wether the designs of the CX/PX (and therefore SE/XE) were ever even targeted at mass-production and end-users is a different matter.

Jupp3 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:08:03
#104 ]

@samo79

Quote:
Quote:

quote:
Ya I see your point Fab, but sometimes it looks like an urban legend that all OS4 software are just a "quick port" or isn't optimized, take xMame for example, it use SDL but it's fast enough on an AmigaOne and you can play "recent" games at 40 and more FPS, it's not that bad ... I can say the same on many other "not optimized" software ...

So it finally supports overlay then?

That's pretty "must have" feature for a program, that needs to be able to output graphics at any resolution / pixel ratio.

(Last time I checked it was still missing, but probably this has been added since then)

AmigaOS4 have overlay support since 2006

That's great! So there's no obstacle from the OS side to add overlay support for programs that definitely need it, such as MAME.

But the question still remains - does OS4 version of xMame finally support it? (being a feature that is definitely must-have to call a MAME-port "not just quick port")

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:15:34
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

You wrote 300 USD... I´m still waiting for some source...

Quote:
Wether the designs of the CX/PX (and therefore SE/XE) were ever even targeted at mass-production and end-users is a different matter.

XE had price suitable for end users... there are even some happy AmigaOne XE users on this forum...

Edit:

Cost of A1 SE motherboard was 360.00 GBP (423.00 with VAT) - that is 576 USD (676). Exchange rates from February 2003 (1 GBP = 1.6 USD). Close enough to your 500 USD.

Last edited by pavlor on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:23 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:17:39
#106 ]
Elite Member

"powermacg5"

WOW!

I thought MOS Team was not heading to that direction. (they said it's too much work, when compared to G4 models)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

eliyahu 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:24:00
#107 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:
KimmoK wrote:
"powermacg5"

WOW!

I thought MOS Team was not heading to that direction. (they said it's too much work, when compared to G4 models)

myself included. if someone can help me replicate the OS4 look-and-feel on MOS, i might have to try this out.

-- eliyahu

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:33:25
# ]

@DAX

You're making the argument that the warranty justifies the extra cost. I'm just saying that the value of a warranty is finite.

If the X1000 costs more than two 2nd-hand machines, it isn't a valid argument, especially as the company isn't 100% guaranteed to stick around.

I don't see it as chicken & egg. Ultimately, if you have the cash and you want the machine, you'll buy it. The warranty shouldn't even be a factor.

Chris

Report this post  
BigC 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:36:40
#109 ]

[quote]
DAX wrote:
@opi
on used HW: do you realize what the guy that sold you the machine might have been doing alone at night before pressing that power on/off button? yuck!!
DAX:
Urrrk!
THAT is omething I never considered when buying used productsNOW you have planted strange worries in my mind!

Of course,there are such things as cleaning products.Or don't pick up scummy-looking items or people.

And are you sure that everything you ever touched was never touched before by someone else?

I think MorphOS team expanding the list of supported PPC hardware is a VERY GOOD idea. Currently that means mostly older Apple computers ,and I hope efika support continues.

For anyone who wants/must have a NEW PPC computer capable of MorphOS,efika motherboard was still available from Directron for $99 recently..

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:36:50
#110 ]
Elite Member

MOS team should offer A1box that could run the whole AOS4 & bundle it with Hyperion's official AOS4 for 200¤.

(it would be again a win-win for both camps)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Fab 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:45:19
#111 ]

@eliyahu

Not sure what you mean with the OS4 look-and-feel.
- If it's about icons and skins, you can show dualpng and glowicons32 OS4 icons on MorphOS too, and you can find some OS4 skins too.
- If you want a much more primitive desktop like workbench, you can still take the old workbench (some people tried that).
- If you want slower USB/3D/Video/whatever, I guess you can run some busylooping app in the background.
- If you want to crash some WarpOS 3D games, mmh, well, be creative (though some of these games make it intrinsically easy anyway :))

Anything else?

/me runs far away

Last edited by Fab on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Last edited by Fab on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:50:23
#112 ]

Quote:

But for some emulators/games, it also makes sense to remove SDL and implement native rendering, when speed is an issue. That was the case for MAME, for instance.

Question is: why is SDL so slow when compared with native applications ? It seems it's not the case on other OS. At least on Windows, SDL is basically a wrapper to DirectX so there is very little overhead.

On other OS, people do not rewrite SDL stuff using native libs. On Linux, most native applications come as SDL applications, they do not use X/OpenGL directly.

Fab 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:53:31
#113 ]

@Leo

It's the case for other platforms too. Guess why MAME or MPlayer is faster on MorphOS than on Linux or OSX (can't comment about windows)?

But it's not always due to SDL itself, but to its use.

Last edited by Fab on 26-Jul-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 16:59:41
#114 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
"powermacg5"

WOW!

I think now that the PowerMac G4 support is mostly finished (release to be expected in September), eMAc and Mac mini is done, powerbook support very advanced they need a new way to waste their time .

Leo 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 17:00:13
#115 ]

@Fab: I was mostly talking about games. Most SDL games well, come as SDL games in other OS, they don't need a native rewrite...

eliyahu 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 17:07:47
#116 ]

@Fab

Quote:
Fab wrote:
@eliyahu

Not sure what you mean with the OS4 look-and-feel.
- If it's about icons and skins, you can show dualpng and glowicons32 OS4 icons on MorphOS too, and you can find some OS4 skins too.
- If you want a much more primitive desktop like workbench, you can still take the old workbench (some people tried that).

yup. looking for something that would replicate the icons, window styles, control styles, etc. of OS4 as well as the feel of OS4's spatial workspace. i doubt i would make the move (really enjoy using OS4), but the performance of the G5 is very tempting. especially coupled with your OWB package!

Quote:
- If you want slower USB/3D/Video/whatever, I guess you can run some busylooping app in the background.
- If you want to crash some WarpOS 3D games, mmh, well, be creative (though some of these games make it intrinsically easy anyway :))

in any case: it will be great to see both NG platforms having high-end (for our community, anyway) hardware again.

-- eliyahu

DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 17:10:11
#117 ]
Elite Member

@clebin
you got me wrong, I'm making the argument that I like to run the official AmigaOS on original computers made for it and I'm willing to support my vision of Amiga which happens to be the same Hyperion/A-eon have. (they also happen to offer a warranty but that wasn't my main argument), by the way the Acube guys have been repairing Amiga systems way before they were called Acube they have been around since forever repairing anything from vanilla machines to accelerator cards.

Anyway once again, no need to convince me with cost effectiveness of used HW if cost effectiveness is what I want I would use one of my old used PCs+Aros (zero cost for me) certainly not a G4 or even worse G5 Mac running MOS.

I would like a fully boxed custom Amiga as a first choice though, so AmigaOS all my life thanks

samo79 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 17:11:35
#118 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Nope, AFAIK currently xMame doesn't support overlay, maybe we need a new port as Steffen H. is always busy and if not are changed he doesn't have any OS4 capable machine yet

@Fab

Maybe as look&feel he intend also a decent Dock, notifications via Ringhio, a better DOS etc ...

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Fab 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 17:19:31
#119 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

yup. looking for something that would replicate the icons, window styles, control styles, etc. of OS4 as well as the feel of OS4's spatial workspace. i doubt i would make the move (really enjoy using OS4), but the performance of the G5 is very tempting. especially coupled with your OWB package!

There's an option in ambient to remove the toolbar and work in spatial mode. I know some people prefer this mode, but i personally find this is a total waste of space and time. :)
Regarding controls, the best you could do is make some MUI theme not too far from a Reaction theme, i guess.

@samo79

Quote:

Maybe as look&feel he intend also a decent Dock, notifications via Ringhio, a better DOS etc ...

I'll grant you the notification system which can be a cool concept (if used :)).

Regarding docks, we have some 3rd party docks for people who need transparency, subdocks and more (polynetNG).

About DOS, i'm not sure what would be better in OS4 though. MorphOS DOS works just fine and handles 64bits too.

DAX 
Posted on 26-Jul-2010 17:57:37
#120 ]
Elite Member

@Fab
I believe OS4 kernel is more advanced too, SMP is first on Hyperion's list after they ship the x1000.
Just don't try to belittle AOS (as you did in that post) you'll never know where you stand tomorrow

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle