Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

sibbi

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  3 mins ago
 pavlor:  27 mins ago
 Seiya:  31 mins ago
 Maijestro:  31 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  39 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  43 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr ago
 zipper:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmigaOS4.1 OWB Development whilst we wait?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
PosterThread
Fairdinkem 
AmigaOS4.1 OWB Development whilst we wait?
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 4:41:48
#1 ]
Cult Member

Hi all you developers,

I was pondering is there any developers out there willling to pick up where Joerg left off with OWB?

Is there a developer willing to put in the time to add a few desirable features to OWB whilst we wait for the arrival if ever of Timberwolf. I ask this because I have concerns about the time frame we are talking about with Timberwolf Since Hyperion are franticly working on AmigaOS4.1 for X1000 plus porting AmigaOS4.1 for classic machines whilst waiting for the next installment of Firefox to port into Timberwolf

I would like OWB to be updated to the latest webkit to start with then....

1. To have fast link buttons instead of the rather average looking bookmark window
2. To have a download manager with resume functionality and a progress gauge so you knowwhen the download is completed
3. To have history browsing and private browsing options and the ability to delete your browsing history and cache files etc.
4. The ability to right click on a link and open the link in another tab would be nice.
5. To be able to trick websites that you are browsing with different types of browsers like Firefox or safari etc.

The list could go on and on but you get the point.

Cheers

Last edited by Fairdinkem on 10-Dec-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Last edited by Fairdinkem on 10-Dec-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
realize 
Re: AmigaOS4.1 OWB Development whilst we wait?
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 4:54:11
#2 ]

@Fairdinkem

You better be careful they might label you a troll or ban you or call you not a true amigan or some other nonsense for asking questions... because they dont like the answers..

Nobody is working on OWB atm. its abandoned by the guy who took a bounty to do it... if instead of working on FF alpha alpha they had worked on owb it might be close to the morphos version... instead you are supposed to settle for a crap browser and like it (and dont complain or ask for updates)

Its funny the amiga fanboy world is kind of like the patriot talk in america. If you disagree with the powers that be you are not a patriot but a terrorist..

samo79 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 5:17:52
#3 ]
Elite Member

OWB on OS4 it's not crap at all, it's just incomplete ...

The good news is that the main development from Sand-Labs is restarted

http://owb.sand-labs.org/pipermail/owb-dev/2010-October/001289.html
http://www.sand-labs.org/owb (site is online again)

So we need the follow:

- the latest 3.30 diffs from Joerg
- a motivated developer/s

Off course there is always the MUI alternative, source is availible as well

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 5:43:14
#4 ]
Cult Member

@samo79

I agree that OWB is not crap it is just incomplete, I sincerely hope someone can take it further than what Joerg was willing to do.

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 5:55:19
#5 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

Quote:

samo79 wrote:
OWB on OS4 it's not crap at all, it's just incomplete ...

The good news is that the main development from Sand-Labs is restarted

http://owb.sand-labs.org/pipermail/owb-dev/2010-October/001289.html
http://www.sand-labs.org/owb (site is online again)

So we need the follow:

- the latest 3.30 diffs from Joerg
- a motivated developer/s

Off course there is always the MUI alternative, source is availible as well

It still got one serious bug that can lead to whole system crash/lockup.
Some sites cause it to leak nearly all system memory within just seconds-minutes. If you dont quit the browser before memory runs out it will lock up the entire system or you will at least be unable to kill OWB leaving you with no free ram.

So yeah i agree with OP.. We really do need a modern browser in meantime. I also think timberwolf might be a bit too heavy for the lowest end machines like classic and lower end models of Sam. OWB would be a nice alternative for those platforms.

samo79 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 5:57:12
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

+1

@Tomas 

Fine but instead to write this on forums it's better to fill bug reports here:

http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissues&softwareid=1

Last edited by samo79 on 10-Dec-2010 at 06:02 AM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

cha05e90 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 6:29:37
#7 ]

@Tomas

I haven't experienced your described lock-ups since many months, but maybe I surf the wrong pages...

And I don't think Timberwolf will be to heavy for low end systems - the alpha version (which is - according to Hans-Jörg - totally unoptimized and full of debug stuff) ran surprinsingly snappy, page rendering was o.k. and fast enough for my taste - only the initial startup time is rather long. I suppose an normal optimized version without debug stuff would work o.k. even on my 667MHz SAM.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 6:35:19
#8 ]
Cult Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@Tomas

I haven't experienced your described lock-ups since many months, but maybe I surf the wrong pages...

And I don't think Timberwolf will be to heavy for low end systems - the alpha version (which is - according to Hans-Jörg - totally unoptimized and full of debug stuff) ran surprinsingly snappy, page rendering was o.k. and fast enough for my taste - only the initial startup time is rather long. I suppose an normal optimized version without debug stuff would work o.k. even on my 667MHz SAM.

Yes Timberwolf will be optimized to run on our systems OWB in its early days was not nearly as optimized as it is in it's current state

sundown 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 7:31:30
#9 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:
haven't experienced your described lock-ups since many months, but maybe I surf the wrong pages..

I have on my micro. I go to a sports web site to keep track of any football games I want to watch (text only). It auto updates the page every 30 seconds, I can watch my memory go down 1Mb with every update. I have 512Mb, so I'm a little better off then those with only 256Mb. If it gets low enough, I will crash.

On a side note, there is a file in the owb directory, urlhistory.xml. This file saves every url you visit, hence it grows daily. I noticed one day that owb was taking longer to start, it seems owb loads this file on startup. I see no purpose for this file, so I deleted it, started owb, which re-creates the file & did a write protection on it, now the file never grows. So if you think owb seems slow starting up, try what I did & see if it makes a difference.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 8:49:35
#10 ]
Elite Member

@realize

1)
Well maybe if you stopped calling people”Fanboys” if you don’t like to be labeled a “troll”

2)
Try to be polite when you ask the question, and why not make some research before you do.

3)
Don’t go around saying there is only 2 people working on AmigaOS4, you know better.

PR 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:05:19
#11 ]

@Fairdinkem

These would be useful and what I miss from IB is the configurability and the buttons what You can configure to go eg. Back and Forward. ( For me T for back and E for forward just from my native language and the responsness... Hmmm. IB3;)

Amizilla Bounty went for who? Give it even to AOS + MOS + AROS what is developed if all would agree or it will rot and diminish. Maybe better invest the money in some good shares so after the next 10-20 years again there could possibly be more to fight for;)

Any investment ideas. Not Amiga.com for sure but some steadily growing firm. Apple, Gold, Bankings...

ChrisH 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:25:51
#12 ]
Elite Member

@realize Quote:
OWB atm. its abandoned by the guy who took a bounty to do it.

There was no such bounty. Joerg did OWB for free. He took donations for the work already done.

Get your facts straight, and try to calm down, or more people will be labelling you a troll.

Quote:
they might label you a troll ... for asking questions... because they dont like the answers..

No, you get labelled a troll for asking questions that imply negative (and wrong) things. For example implying that OS4.2 was promised/late. For example, implying that there has been no news about OS4 development. And for saying stuff in a hysterical manner, that looks designed to bait people.

And then when some people fall for those seemingly troll-like things, and you then start making a big fuss about their response (rather than appologizing for writing stuff carelessly/etc), then you reinforce those suspicions that you were trolling.

Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:27 AM.

realize 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:43:44
#13 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
And for saying stuff in a hysterical manner, that looks designed to bait people.

Hysterical? That is HYSTERICAL of you to say! I thought my posts were thought out and verbose, not at all hysterical. Maybe you should look it up in the dictionary.

And if you look at the other thread on here about the issue of the owb dev taking community funds and quiting developing the product in an incomplete state is a little distasteful dont you think? Hey its cool the guy did it but you would think more would be delivered.

Quote:
Get your facts straight, and try to calm down, or more people will be labelling you a troll.

1. I thought my facts were quite straight

2. I'm calm

3. They have always labeled me a troll like people in the 60s labled people "communist" quite similar here.

realize 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:44:52
#14 ]

@PR

Quote:
Amizilla Bounty went for who? Give it even to AOS + MOS + AROS what is developed if all would agree or it will rot and diminish. Maybe better invest the money in some good shares so after the next 10-20 years again there could possibly be more to fight for;)

Afair Amizilla bounty went back to donors?

Deniil715 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:47:04
#15 ]
Elite Member

@all

I think it would be nice to have Fabs OWB on OS4. That version works almost like IBrowse they say (dl mgr, hotlinks, MIME config, etc.). To take the OS4 version of OWB to that level is a waste of time and double work, double maintenance etc.

Since TW isn't that far away I say port Fabs version. Should be much faster.

tonyw 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 10:38:02
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

You know that's impossible - or at least impracticable. By suggesting it yet again you are only pouring fuel on the fire.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Dandy 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 10:44:56
#17 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@Tomas

So we know that oit runs quite snappy on a SAM - but how does it perform on classic Amigas?
What CPU should one have to run it and how much RAM is required?
Can it take advantage of the PPC on my CSPPC (e.g. is there a WarpOS version?)?

Dandy

wawa 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 10:55:37
#18 ]
Elite Member

@realize: to be honest i dont think joerg was in any way obliged to do anything for the community. it was entirely his free will to do it or leave it as it happened of a free will if anyone donated to him. i dont know if he got any funding from hyperion and i do not care. its nothing of my business. in the end what he did wasnt of a very high quality but it was reasonably usable last time ive checked. so leave the guy in peace.
the fact is, he apparently left and none is gonna change it.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 11:01:57
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

are you dreaming? timberwolf was intended for os4.1 not for anything below that, it was clearly stated numerous times. so yes, if it ever arrives on classic together with os4.1 update it will take advantage of your ppc.. as for warpos, forget it.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 11:11:49
#20 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw
Quote:

You know that's impossible - or at least impracticable. By suggesting it yet again you are only pouring fuel on the fire.

why is that impossible. as far i remember fab has even promissed to support whoever would try that. just he wasnt in mood to do it himself. to tell there is none motivated or capable of it neither on among os4 nor 68k crowd would be probably closer to truth.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle