Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 K-L:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  4 hrs 36 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  5 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 10 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Git version control system for Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
pvanni 
Re: Git version control system for Amiga?
Posted on 31-Jul-2011 17:59:33
#81 ]

@Reth
I am talking about the OS4Depot version, (the one you linked), not the AAMP version,
the one ported by Olaf, you must chose the right server, but it's clearly stated on the archive docs

Profile     Report this post  
Hans 
Posted on 31-Jul-2011 21:32:04
#82 ]
Elite Member

@CygnusEd

Quote:

CygnusEd wrote:
@broadblues

Quote:
if by that you mean this distutils stuff, then yes they mostly work.

I think he means this package:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

Yes, that package. Trac plugins are installed using setuptools, and it really does make installation easy ("easy_install ").

@all

I haven't had a chance to test CygnusEd's subversion server & tools yet. If anyone here would be interested in testing, send CygnusEd a PM. I don't know when I'll find the time.

Hans

broadblues 
Posted on 2-Aug-2011 1:52:42
#83 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Thread

I just uploaded hg-git to os4depot (still in uploads) this gives git support to mercurial.

Please read the accompanying and linked documentation.

There also an updated mercurial which now expects to find it's .hgrc in ENV:hg/ (unless you set HGRCPATH otherwise)

Chris_Y 
Posted on 5-Jun-2012 16:50:06
#84 ]
Elite Member

I've found hg-git pretty handy for doing anonymous clones of Git repos. However, it struggles with even small repos which makes it painful to use - it can literally take hours to download something and then convert it to Mercurial.

Hence, I thought I'd see if proper Git had progressed at all on the Amiga. Turns out it hasn't.

I've had a look at vidarh's partial AROS port of Git and created my own branch of it to get it to work in OS4. It sort of works, but can't launch sh due to some missing functionality (in compat/amiga.c) so doesn't really get very far.

If somebody wants to investigate further, it's here:
https://github.com/chris-y/Git

I've have a couple more updates to push up for it to build out of the box, but have to copy them to my PC in order to do that, because Git, erm, doesn't work on OS4. (yes, I realise the stupidity of using Git to maintain a Git client) (edit: updates pushed)

Last edited by Chris_Y on 05-Jun-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 15:28:46
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

I was thinking, is your port capable enough to maintain a local repo without any remote access?

I mean, does commit and checkout work without pull and push?

Since I don't code very often at home anymore I find it very difficult to know what I have changed and why so a version control system would help a lot, and I'd like to use git for two reasons:
1. It's basically the only one I know (except the server based, file system replacement ClearCase).
2. It can work in local mode.

I mean if I like to use an actual remote archive I could clone it on a PC and then copy it and work and commit on the Amiga. When I'm done I can copy it back and push (for now). Would that work?

Chris_Y 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 17:57:46
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
I mean if I like to use an actual remote archive I could clone it on a PC and then copy it and work and commit on the Amiga. When I'm done I can copy it back and push (for now). Would that work?

Erm, no idea. I've copied the binaries here, so try it!

time passes...
I have a better proposition. I've built libgit2 for OS4, and updated an old git2 client so it works with the latest version of the library.

This git2 client needs loads of updating (it barely does anything, although I've managed to create a new blank repository in my RAM disk), but it acts as a reasonable starting point.

The libgit2 API is here: http://libgit2.github.com/libgit2/#HEAD
I trust it does clones, pushes and pulls, although I can't immediately see functions for these.*

Any volunteers for helping add stuff to git2?

* it is possible, there's scant info on it but the links on this site are a good starting point: http://stackoverflow.com/a/8553578 particulary the example https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/blob/development/examples/network/fetch.c (which I've built but it is only reporting fetching a few bytes so there's something wrong there)

Last edited by Chris_Y on 09-Jun-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Last edited by Chris_Y on 08-Jun-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Last edited by Chris_Y on 08-Jun-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 10-Jun-2012 11:16:34
#87 ]
Elite Member

Hmm.

Shame it crashes after downloading 1K.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Jun-2012 11:59:39
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

Try renaming the “RAM DISK” to RAM_DISK and try again, it should not be a problem but you never know, I have run it that problem a few times.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 10-Jun-2012 18:29:44
#89 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

It was trying to use mmap() (which I'd commented out but hadn't put any debug in to warn me).

I've fixed it now, it downloads the pack file, reports the wrong information and isn't creating an INFO file (which I think it is supposed to, need to check that). (edit: it is downloading the file perfectly, but not splitting it into a .idx and .pack as it does on Linux - problem in git_indexer_stream_add by the looks of things)

If this is doing all it needs to, adding 'merge' will be the next step. That effectively gives us 'clone' and 'pull' I believe (might need 'checkout' for these, not sure). Those two alone will be quite useful for me for now, although I really need 'add', 'commit' and 'push' too ('push' I expect to cause problems)

I hate to think how much Amiga developers' time has been taken up over the years just trying to get various build and version control systems working. I'm doing the bare minimum on git2 and I've already spent far too long on it.

Last edited by Chris_Y on 10-Jun-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Last edited by Chris_Y on 10-Jun-2012 at 08:10 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Jun-2012 18:37:10
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

The mmap() stuff we have work around for:

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/archive/uboot_mkimage.lha

Me and Damien Stewart

Fixed that.

Should be dummy.c or some thing in there whit work around for it.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 10-Jun-2012 18:47:58
#91 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

That fix is identical to the one I came up with

The only problem might be if something is mmapped in writable-shared mode. I'm not sure if libgit2 does that, I've put in some debug to catch it if it happens though.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 22:47:04
#92 ]
Elite Member

For anybody who cares:

fetch is now working
Reading some Git documentation, it looks like update-index, write-tree and commit-tree is pretty much all we need for the higher level commands add and commit - these three commands are already present, but update-index is somehow trying to forward itself to Git (which shouldn't be happening as I've disabled that interface).
checkout I've just noticed is also already present. (but doesn't work)

TODO:
Fix update-index (done) (test write-tree (done) and commit-tree (needs fixing))
Add high level add and commit (should be a doddle)
Figure out how to add merge (needed for clone and pull - might need to read more of the doc I started reading) << this is a priority
Add push (think this should be easy although I'm not sure ssh is supported by libgit2 yet)

If somebody wants to help that would be quite useful, as I really don't have a clue about low-level Git stuff, and I'm only doing the bare minimum hacking on this client because I really, really need to get Git working on OS4. This would be much more appreciated than donations (this is not a hint for donations, it's a genuine cry for help, I'd much rather be doing other things than writing version control systems I don't even particulary want to use)

http://github.com/chris-y/git2 and http://github.com/chris-y/libgit2

Last edited by Chris_Y on 16-Jun-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Last edited by Chris_Y on 16-Jun-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Last edited by Chris_Y on 16-Jun-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Last edited by Chris_Y on 12-Jun-2012 at 10:49 PM.

ioguie 
Posted on 7-Jul-2012 20:50:00
#93 ]

Hey all,

I coincidentally started a project to get git compiling on OS 3.1 about the same time Chris_Y resurrected this thread. Found the thread through a Google search.

On Wednesday I finally got the whole of git to compile, albeit having disabled a few functions.

There are only a few files I needed to change or add:

Makefile
git-compat-util.h
compat/amiga.c
compat/amiga.h
compat/amiga/
compat/amiga/poll.c
compat/amiga/poll.h

I've put these files on the web at http://aaack.org/amiga/git/git-amiga.zip (if I missed something, let me know).

Most of the effort was doable sticking within git's build system's own rules, but I did have to make a couple of changes I'm not proud of. In the Makefile, I had to flat-out comment out a couple of lines from the Makefile:

- TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X += test-svn-fe
and
- test-svn-fe$X: vcs-svn/lib.a
(don't know why this file still gets compiled when svn tests are disabled in the Makefile options) (probably could have taken this file out of the TEST_PROGRAMS_NEED_X via the Amiga-specific platform options)

- To speed up compiling on my 68030, I commented out the part of the Makefile that checks for modified build options; it's under "Detect prefix changes".

- PROGRAM_OBJS += daemon.o
I've disabled socket support because my build environment isn't set up to use any sockets SDK (Miami /or/ AmiTCP) so I had to disable daemon.c/o which uses a lot of symbols from those SDKs

Adjustments to the Amiga-specific build options include some things which flat-out neuter this port's functionality. Ports of a lot of these things are available for various Amiga-like systems so enabling them eventually shouldn't be too difficult:

- no sockets (NO_UNIX_SOCKETS)
this was needed to not try compiling credential-cache--daemon.o
- no expat
- no OpenSSL
- no cURL
- more! I've tried to group these options under "Temporary"

Most of the build options that are disabled under my grouping of "Build system features (or lack thereof)" set the build system to use their own provided versions of these functions, which is rad.

Once these files are in place, one should be able to 'make all' and watch it go. In my build environment (GeekGadgets 99xxxx, egcs-1.1.2, gcc 2.95.1.66 [I know, I need to get rid of this and go to 2.95.4 or higher]), this results in each git executable being about 8.5 megabytes ... so you get like 20 different executable files all at ~8.5 megabytes. I think this is an issue with shared/static linking but have no idea what needs to be done to fix it.

Notes:

- to "make install", rename your GNU install "ginstall" so to not conflict with C:Install
('make install' probably still won't work, though)
- all the Amiga-specific build instructions can be found in the Makefile -- search for AmigaOS
- test-sha1.sh tests the sha1 functions, and on my UAE system they fail on the 10th one (abcdefghi is the last one that works)

MickJT 
Posted on 8-Jul-2012 8:21:18
#94 ]
Cult Member

@ioguie

Quote:
so you get like 20 different executable files all at ~8.5 megabytes. I think this is an issue with shared/static linking but have no idea what needs to be done to fix it.

The size is because it's statically linked, so there isn't much you can do about that except to use an executable compressor.

To solve the issue of having 20 files all of that size, you just need to use symbolic links, like "ln -s originalfile linkfile", then "linkfile" is a virtual file pointing to the original file.

As far as I know, with git, every executable file is 100% identical, and git knows what it is supposed to do due to the filename itself.

Last edited by MickJT on 08-Jul-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Last edited by MickJT on 08-Jul-2012 at 08:22 AM.

ioguie 
Posted on 8-Jul-2012 18:50:34
#95 ]

@MickJT

Quote:

MickJT wrote:
To solve the issue of having 20 files all of that size, you just need to use symbolic links, like "ln -s originalfile linkfile", then "linkfile" is a virtual file pointing to the original file.

As far as I know, with git, every executable file is 100% identical, and git knows what it is supposed to do due to the filename itself.

Right. So I believe on other platforms, the files are in fact symbolic links to the main executable, so like you said, "git-push" would point to "git". Maybe they are even dynamically linked executables instead of symbolic links but I have no proof of that. (What is puzzling in my build is that most of the files are the same size as the main 'git' executable, but some are a little bit bigger or smaller.)

I don't know where in the Makefile this is being handled, nor do I know if my GeekGadgets environment on OS 3.1 is even capable of making an actual FFS "softlink" or "hardlink" when using the 'ln' command.

Since I remember hearing once that AmigaDOS's 'makelink' command is only partially supported by any and all versions of FFS -- except maybe in OS 3.0 and above, hard linking works? -- I didn't want to make my whole FS dodgy by using 'makelink' instead of 'ln' in the Makefile if there was even the possibility of doing so...

No idea what mechanisms are in place for OS 4.x and soft or hard links.

There are some options in the Makefile to do various tasks with symbolic links, but I did try changing them in my UAE GeekGadgets environment and the build still generated ~8.5 megabyte executables. Maybe GeekGadget's 'ln' command just copies a file? Haha...

Last edited by ioguie on 08-Jul-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 9:58:48
#96 ]
Elite Member

@ioguie

My older version just created umpteen executables too, I think that's by design.

There shouldn't be any difference between ln and makelink other than syntax.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 16:24:01
#97 ]
Elite Member

@ioguie

You still seem to have nasty fork() calls present?

ioguie 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 19:26:02
#98 ]

@Chris_Y

Quote:

You still seem to have nasty fork() calls present?

Yes sir. I left them in as "to be dealt with later." From what I understand, they may go away if the build is configured to use pthreads. I did not do that because I did not have any of the pthreads ports installed on my system.

Reth 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 22:06:38
#99 ]

@pvanni

Sorry for picking this one up so lately. But can you (or somebody else) tell me to which part of the docs you refer to here?
The only thing I found has been this one: "I do not know if the "svnserve" program
actually does what it's supposed to do, so you better be careful."

I set up a file based repository using this port as described by the book but it did not work for me at all (even crashed severly). Used AOS4.

The AAMP version works so far but is not used currently on my side.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 22-Jul-2012 11:41:34
#100 ]
Elite Member

@ioguie

I've enabled pthreads but it is still whinging about fork()

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle