Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  12 mins ago
 zipper:  37 mins ago
 amigakit:  47 mins ago
 retrofaza:  51 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 kiFla:  2 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  News on the X1000
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: News on the X1000
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:52:40
#241 ]
Elite Member

@BillE Quote:
these people just come to wind folk up, nothing else, and the moderators for some inexplicable reason allow it

If I was cynically minded I might wonder if it is because allowing it causes more posts & reads... in the short term. (Never mind that such behaviour tends to scares away "new" people from Amiga web sites, so we end-up with a small self-selected bunch of Amigans with pretty thick skins. Rather sad really.)

Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
opi 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:54:40
#242 ]
Team Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
I for one am sick of these Morons.

Would you like to self-moderate yourself or is this a plot to let you later complain about "mods consipracy" that ban good Amiga users?

Last edited by opi on 12-Mar-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:59:13
#243 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@opi

Heh, what nothing else to do today? (off topic too)

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:02:33
#244 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o Quote:
Stop whining, if you don?t like the hardware keep it to yourself, DON'T POST IN THE FORUMS ABOUT IT AND CONSTANTLY SPAM YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT IT it is off topic and annoying.

You know the predictable response to this (typically from those who like to wind others up) will be "Oh, so you don't like free speech & want to stop people making negative comments?".

(The answer to that is of course "We are happy to have negative comments from people who are genuinely interested, what we don't want is predictable negative spam from people who aren't".... Although a predictable few will then go "Oh, I'm all offended at your wild accusations, of course I'm interested, at least a little bit, but your horrible attitude has stopped me being interested."! To which the only answer is "Yeah, right, and I'm the fairy god mother.".)

Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:04:08
#245 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@ChrisH

Yeah, I know, I seem to have been targeted again by one of them, but thanks to free speech I can still annoy them

Last edited by Wizzard_o on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:05 AM.

opi 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:09:12
#246 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
"We are happy to have negative comments from people who are genuinely interested, what we don't want is predictable negative spam from people who aren't".... Although a predictable few will then go "Oh, I'm all offended at your wild accusations, of course I'm interested, at least a little bit, but your horrible attitude has stopped me being interested."! To which the only answer is "Yeah, right, and I'm the fairy god mother."

Nice strawman.

opi 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:12:29
#247 ]
Team Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
I can still annoy them

So what you're saying here is you're trolling potential trolls. And that's make you superior to other trolls because...?

Anyway, we're going in circles (again).

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:14:46
#248 ]
Cult Member

@OPI

Nobody’s forcing you to add to 'the circle', but you just did...
I wont add any more to this thread because it's going off topic , but no doubt someone will add some juicy bait...

@ChrisH

I'm starting to see what you mean about 'free speech'

Last edited by Wizzard_o on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Last edited by Wizzard_o on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:15 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:17:10
#249 ]
Elite Member

@persia Quote:
I want to buy an OS 4 machine, but nostalgia has to compete with all the cutting edge stuff

For me AmigaOS4 is not about nostalgia (I could use WinUAE or a MiniMig for that). For me OS4 is about a desktop experience that is genuinely different to Windows/Mac/Linux (and in most ways that I care about that experience is BETTER). For me "OS4 vs Windows" is something like "iPad vs laptop" - the experience is different (and sometimes less functional), but it can be such a joy to use that I don't object to paying a higher price for it. (And before you ask, I don't actually own an iPad, mainly cos I hate Apple's walled-garden approach... and the fact that it prevents connectivity to Amiga/Linux/etc)

But you can always try to buy a second-hand OS4 machine if you cannot afford one or find the cost too difficult to justify).

Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Antique 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:17:35
#250 ]
Cult Member

Well, in order for more apps to take advante or be written to use smp. The os must have support for it. So it makes perfect sense.

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
So, one app... that would run xx% faster on a dual core system(depending whether AMP or SMP, in some cases depends on the apps themselves). Is it worth it since OS4 was never and will never be the weapon of choice for animation/graphics industry? I guess it's both yes or no depending on where your position is, whether your OS4 machine is your only PC or not.

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:19:12
#251 ]
Elite Member

@opi Quote:
Nice strawman.

Wrong, it is not a "strawman ARGUMENT". It was not even an argument at all! It was a description of what some kinds of people tend to say, and in some other cases it also describes the rough flow of arguments that happen.

Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Mar-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 11:23:07
#252 ]

@Complainers of the price for BRAND NEW AmigaOS PPC capable hardware....read again!

Kindergip sums it up perfect in his post. I'll quote his intire post because it says all the right things!

Quote:

Kindergip:

The X1000 is the high end Amiga. Back in the day that would have been a kitted out A2000, A3000T or an A4000T. Ya, a PicassoIV, Warp Engine with 128M or a CSPPC 128M/scsi3/CVPPC, no one could afford those back then either. But people did, even though there were 486's, PIII's and then P4's.

First off, OS4 can run on the AmigaOne's and Micro's. I know I payed $1100 for my micro and loved it to death for four years, I sold it at half price to a friend rather than recovering almost the original price at auction. I bought an AmigaOneXE so that I could run OS4 with 2G of RAM and a 128M 9250 when it was updated. Again, even used it was $1000 + RAM and GFX card.

Then there is the ACube 440 flex if you want your nostalgia or you could bump up to the 460EX when it is released. But if you want to be there for the move to SMP in a uniquely Amiga way along with a little weirdness there is indeed a high premium. No amount of cajoling, whinging or pleading is going to change that fact. No cost reductions are in sight. This is a hobby project by enthusiasts who are putting their money where their desires are. They are willing to pay a premium to receive a premium level machine. It's a one off.

The next successor will be based on yet another chip. And I can't say this often enough, reread what Alan Redhouse said when he and Eyetech left off after trying to make a go of the AmigaOne and Micro. http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2339 Anyone who says it should match economies of scale with cloneland is simply trolling. Anyone who says it should match current levels of technology with multicores is also just trolling. Look how long it has taken Windows to do it right.

Anyone who thinks it should be done their way needs to persuade some VC to fund that and then try and make real world schedules while demonstrating their unique business acumen to take over an Apple sized portion of the market. I joined a team I have confidence in. I can wait. I can also pay and afford to lose what I pay. This in a world where a 16G quad core costs $800 to put together and yet here I am anteing up to play this round of Amiga history.

Varthall 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 11:32:43
#253 ]

@ChrisH

+1.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 11:35:43
#254 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo

Good post Kindergip sounds like a sensible person, a voice of reason in a sea of whinging.

Dirk-B 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 12:48:25
#255 ]

If you buy a pc for 500 ¤, for how many years will you use it?

I have my AmigaOne SE with minimal specs for 8 years now and i can still upgrade to the newest AOS version, and it is getting better and better.

opi 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 12:53:39
#256 ]
Team Member

@Dirk-B

Quote:
If you buy a pc for 500 ¤, for how many years will you use it?

Years. And it will pay of for itself. I have 10 yo server at home, running newest software. No biggie.

Last edited by opi on 12-Mar-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Dirk-B 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 13:06:19
#257 ]

@opi

Ok, but my question was more directed to the normal users.

djrikki 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 13:06:21
#258 ]
Elite Member

@Dirk-B

Thats a good point, my close family has often bought a low-cost, cheap and nasty PC or a Laptop.. it usually breaks after a year or two, screen goes or hd failure. I tell them buy an Apple, 'too expensive'... is the usual reply.

The old adage still applies: 'You get what you pay for."

Off-topic: Fuel price today at my local garage has broke the £1.30 / 2.09 USD a litre barrier

Last edited by djrikki on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by djrikki on 12-Mar-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 13:18:40
#259 ]
Elite Member

@ Amigians

This website lacks a Declaration of Intent. Therefore abhorrent behavior can
not be defined and dealt with.

When the site was setup there was only 1 Amiga. Therefore it's name alone gave
it its' intent. The situation is now different, and requires a more well defined
goal.

Amiga branded coffee pots would indeed be Amigas up for discussion, unless they
fall outside the intent of the declaration.

Since I have financially supported AmigaWorld, in it's present form, it is my
fault the activities and behavior of a few people with their own agenda is allowed.

My apologizes to this community.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 14:38:21
#260 ]
Elite Member

@kindergip

from your link:
Quote:

...In the end this turned out to be a much, much bigger task than Hyperion had reckoned on, and several times the project came very close to folding. We had to step in on more than one occasion to keep it afloat. Please make no mistake, without Eyetech putting its money on the line there would not just have been no AmigaOne, there would have been no OS4 either.

The fact that new hardware was delivered, together with a functional version of OS4 is against all odds. And the fact that Hyperion and we ever decided to make it happen defies all commercial logic. What has been delivered is not perfect, but is absolutely remarkable given the pitifully small potential market to support the product.

this exactly is what i fear is the case for the whole last decade. os4 and its dedicated hardware is in hands of entities that cannot sustain development by themselves. it is understandable that the develpoment comes to a halt every once in a while, as soon as a smallest obstacle appears. entities behind it see no return and handle against their own commercial interest. you have it literally mentioned above. omg!!! is that a form of sacrifice or self punishment, or does anybody really think that this is a healthy situation??

opensourcing the darn stuff would surely cure some of this. making it common interest and thing you can contribute to, unregarded your bias, for the whole community would end the wars. but no. lets slap our back and move forward into the swamp.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle