Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  22 mins ago
 utukku:  52 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 -Sam-:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  News on the X1000
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: News on the X1000
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 12:12:05
#281 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

fine, but i think it will be even more difficult to convince an ex classic user to invest beyond 1k$ in order to be able to run dpaint V when he can have it for free on a pc he already owns. personally im not very much a friend of winuae, but if there was a version that resembles amithlon solution and loads amiga os at boot time with no necessity for windows, this might be amiga ng to me.

Profile     Report this post  
kindergip 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 15:30:39
#282 ]

@wawa who says in reply to :

@BigD

"fine, but i think it will be even more difficult to convince an ex classic user to invest beyond 1k$ in order to be able to run dpaint V when he can have it for free on a pc he already owns. personally im not very much a friend of winuae, but if there was a version that resembles amithlon solution and loads amiga os at boot time with no necessity for windows, this might be amiga ng to me."

Sometimes to go forward you have to break with the past.

How many times has that happened in the Apple world?

How much of the Windows' woe is because they haven't?

Look at how Linux has become a very large install to stay in the game.

Again, anyone who complains over price, is just trolling, there is no market of
50,000,000 users and certainly no market of 200,000,000 million users much less
a substantial 3% market share. It's not there. Find me a Rolls Royce for Walmart
prices. It just isn't going to happen.

Anyone who argues for modern features and must have necessities, Commodore
died in 1994. That was the company that begrudgingly kept the Amiga moving
forward. Third parties provided the hardware innovation and software applications.
Back in the day when Amiga users numbered in the millions and there were over
10,000 power users to drive a profit for that development.

That is all gone. It is an era that ended. We were the best but the empire fell before
it could be absolutely proven. Everyone else has adopted the best features and
capabilities of the hardware and OS. We got left behind.

The future is about true believers that put their money where their hearts are.

The future is about a fresh start with the Amiga philosophy.

And that is about as varied as the number of Amigans that still exist.

As we go forward the cost is indeed very high. The possibility however still
exists to create something Amigan as well as to create a niche to continue on.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 15:49:28
#283 ]

@kindergip

Quote:
The future is about a fresh start with the Amiga philosophy.

The Amiga philosophy of the last 10-15 years is non-competitive technology at very steep prices. It's the philosophy that is directly responsible for the massive downfall in the number of the amiga users and it is likely to continue.

A fresh start start that you say would imply some new ideas, not a rehash of old ones.

ARM, x86, open sourcing OS4 and similar... that would be a fresh start. This is just a rerun.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 15:55:57
#284 ]
Elite Member

@kindergip

neither x1k nor any other os4 hardware qualify as a common ground for the future amiga revival (!!?) due to its elite character (low numbers, low performance, high prices). this includes everything down to phase5 ppc accelerator boards. no further investments (in particular by the members of the community) will change that.
the only common denominator all the different individuals here can agree upon is whats left of 68k legacy. build upon it and there is a tiny chance, you might get amiga some future.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 16:17:34
#285 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
the only common denominator all the different individuals here can agree upon is whats left of 68k legacy.

That is only your dream. 68k will be never again viable platform. If most of current developers use Amiga OS 4 or MorphOS, they will not want to downgrade to OS3 and 68k (I think you mean UAE). There can be no progress without software developers.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 17:00:46
#286 ]
Elite Member

@kindergip

Quote:
As we go forward the cost is indeed very high. The possibility however still exists to create something Amigan as well as to create a niche to continue on.

That niche market MUST be started/served with the X1000 for starters without a water tight and focused plan of action the last few developers will get jitters and the geek/fan boy market will continue to implode. Without a positive impact on NEW/ex-Amigan users the Natami will be the only Amiga hardware being developed in 5 years time. It is time for Amiga NG to grow some balls and compete with the real world!

wawa 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 17:29:08
#287 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor
Quote:

That is only your dream. 68k will be never again viable platform. If most of current developers use Amiga OS 4 or MorphOS, they will not want to downgrade to OS3 and 68k (I think you mean UAE). There can be no progress without software developers.

contrary to others i do not have (wet) dreams about amiga. if you observe aminet you will notice that many os4/mos/aros developers still see 68k as a viable platform. how does it fit into your statement? with the port of aros, there will be still more software automatically avaliable for 68k amiga. ive already tested some aros contributions, most working well under winuae. (http://aros68k.org/) i dont see so much what os4 has to offer in similar therms except of some game ports and web browsers, of which most advanced is being ported from morphos anyway.

Last edited by wawa on 13-Mar-2011 at 05:30 PM.

madmalkav 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 20:15:57
#288 ]

@all

Is really that hard to leave this topic for talking about news on X1000 as they are published and discuss this topics in any of the over nine thousand threads opened for that?

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 20:45:23
#289 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
if you observe aminet you will notice that many os4/mos/aros developers still see 68k as a viable platform. how does it fit into your statement?

Only few (although really good like Yam, NetSurf, FFPlay/FFMpeg etc). Major applications (like MPlayer with working GUI, OWB, Timberwolf, Blender, Gimp, AbiWord) emulators (useable MAME and DOSBox) and of course newer games (Quake 2/3, Hexen 2, Jagged Aliance 2 etc.) are only for OS4/MorphOS.

DAX 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 20:59:02
#290 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor
And that list will skyrocket with the relese of QT and the "speed" possibilities offered by the new NG systems
Think about Doom 3 or Quake4 going open soon enough, pixel shaders and normal mapping 68K?
Don't count on it.

Also there is interest in making new verions of Amiga programs like Art Effect, Page Stream Audio Evolution etc. only for AmigaNG in the future, no newer versions will be made for 68K.
Same will be for Holliwood from V3 on.

As I said, this is only the beginning of a much wider gap.

Last edited by DAX on 13-Mar-2011 at 09:00 PM.

persia 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 21:02:20
#291 ]

@wawa

68K is still viable, I don't need every computer I own to surf the latest and greatest websites or have 1920x1080 resolution on three monitors. I have one system like that, but sometimes you just want to play, and for that nothing beats an old 68K Amiga.

persia 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 21:03:41
#292 ]

@wawa

68K is still viable, I don't need every computer I own to surf the latest and greatest websites or have 1920x1080 resolution on three monitors. I have one system like that, but sometimes you just want to play, and for that nothing beats an old 68K Amiga.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle