Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  1 min ago
 matthey:  16 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  19 mins ago
 amigakit:  38 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  51 mins ago
 Rob:  56 mins ago
 Jose:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Boing window with floppy insert request means what?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Boing window with floppy insert request means what?
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 4:19:49
#21 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Yes it seems silly. Kickstart can load off disk then AmigaDOS complains there is no disk!

I've seen this a lot. Three things.

1.) Cables messed up or faulty.
2.) Conf vars messed up. OS4 wil reject HD if conf says it is CD as example.
3.) MTB not ran after disk change to mark last drive. Just like a real Amiga.

Best thing to do is to load KS off HD then put in CD as it is loading. OS4 has a bug and won't detect any disk inserted even though it is asking for it!

Then, load up UBoot prefs and reset all drives to be Unit type Auto. Save. Finally run MTB in case it detects disk change. Save if so.

That should fix that in the future.

Now, the screen mode thing. Yes, I know about that, another bug. I upgraded and found it doesn't save my screemode. Argh!

Perhaps boot into shell and do the old trick. Since AFAIK we can't boot into OCS delete screenmode.prefs and reboot. This should give you BootVGA to work with. That should work and you can change screenmode on WB.

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 11:49:51
#22 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

For a unfixed amigaone-xe the max speed is pio4 I'm guessing value 4, it's only safe to use dma mode if you have the wire strapping on your mother board. Som people have a sill controller connected.

Note there is no minimum speed so value of 1111 should be fine.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Nov-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Nov-2013 at 11:51 AM.

themamboman 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 21:36:10
#23 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@themamboman

Yes it seems silly. Kickstart can load off disk then AmigaDOS complains there is no disk!

I've seen this a lot. Three things.

1.) Cables messed up or faulty.
2.) Conf vars messed up. OS4 wil reject HD if conf says it is CD as example.
3.) MTB not ran after disk change to mark last drive. Just like a real Amiga.

Best thing to do is to load KS off HD then put in CD as it is loading. OS4 has a bug and won't detect any disk inserted even though it is asking for it!

Tried putting in the CD after kickstart from HDD starts. Nothing happened then.

Quote:

Then, load up UBoot prefs and reset all drives to be Unit type Auto. Save. Finally run MTB in case it detects disk chnage. Save if so.

Wait, Uboot prefs is something I do BEFORE kickstart progress bar, right?

Also, I looked in the uboot menu, didn't see any place where I could set a drive unit type. Where is that? All I could find was boot order
Quote:

That should fix that in the future.

Now, the screen mode thing. Yes, I know about that, another bug. I upgraded and found it doesn't save my screemode. Argh!

Perhaps boot into shell and do the old trick. Since AFAIK we can't boot into OCS delete screenmode.prefs and reboot. This should give you BootVGA to work with. That should work and you can change screenmode on WB.

"the old trick"?

Okay, so if I use the CD to get back to Workbench, access the env-archive:Sys folder and delete screenmode.prefs file?

I'll try that next.

Thanks again for all the help!

themamboman 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 21:37:13
#24 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@themamboman

For a unfixed amigaone-xe the max speed is pio4 I'm guessing value 4, it's only safe to use dma mode if you have the wire strapping on your mother board. Som people have a sill controller connected.

Note there is no minimum speed so value of 1111 should be fine.

Tried making an a1ide_xfer file with value of 1111. Didn't see anything different.

About to pull out my hair with this system! I'm going to try capturing serial output tomorrow night after I get a null modem cable and see what it says is going on.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 10:58:20
#25 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

You can try to boot whit out startup-sequence,
Try to run etch line of startup-sequence manually, and see where it stops.

Normally you can enter the kickstart by pressing Scroll Lock.
CTRL+D normally stop startup-sequence.
I also believe holding SHIFT might skip startup-sequence.

It's really hard to say what the problem is, from where I'm sitting.

I do not know what condition you received the AmigaONE-XE, did it boot when received the computer?

Out of my head there is number of hardware issues that can carouse problems.

Backup battery is known carouse lots of random problems when battery is not fresh,
PSU is known to be a problem, if you do not have quality power supply all sorts of things can happen.
RAM if ram was replaced or upgraded, AmigaONE-XE is picky about RAM, it does not like to have two RAM modules at the same time, remove and try to swap, see if it helps.
USB we talked about it before.
Cards that’s plugged into the PCI bus, problem are often caused by card having to share IRQ, I do not believe there is a APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller), remove card you don't need and try different PCI slots.

AGP / PCI66Mhz bus.
If you have a fixed AmigaONE you most use the AGP port for graphic card.
If you have an unfixed AmigaONE you most use the PCI66Mhz port for graphic card.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Nov-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 13:20:10
#26 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Quote:
Tried putting in the CD after kickstart from HDD starts. Nothing happened then.

You mean after it starts loading or after it starts as you said? It's gotta be before the Kickstart launches. So for example if you reboot, then eject the disc so UBoot starts loading OS4 off the HDD, then insert the disc as the Kickstart is loading and before it launches that should be fine.

IOW before your AmigaOne becomes an AmigaOne, before it has a Kickstart and AmigaDOS.

Quote:
Wait, Uboot prefs is something I do BEFORE kickstart progress bar, right?

No, sorry, it's a point of confussion. I mean the program called UBoot sitting in the Prefs drawer.

We used to get away with the expression "Program Prefs" indicating to run Program from Prefs drawer on Workbench, but somehow on OS4 they stuffed that system up, as people get confused when I talk about UBoot Prefs. Argh!

Quote:
Where is that?

In "UBoot Prefs" it's on "IDE Ports" tab and whatever controllers you are
using.

Quote:
"the old trick"?

Yes, if you had an Amiga with a messed up screen mode, you could boot with OCS mode and it would open up in a safe generic mode. This worked for Amiga as well as RTG modes. In effect it disabled the monitor drivers.

Quote:
Okay, so if I use the CD to get back to Workbench, access the env-archive:Sys folder and delete screenmode.prefs file?

Yep!

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 13:27:06
#27 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
If you have an unfixed AmigaONE you most use the PCI66Mhz port for graphic card.

Really!? My AmigaOne has been unfixed since I bought it and I've happily used a 9200SE in the AGP slot for years.

I was once told my ATI 9200SE would never work in my AmigaOne but I showed him!

Last edited by Hypex on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:27 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 13:38:28
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Well I have always used the AGP slot, also before I did the IRQ wire strapping, DMA fix.

Before the fix whenever I moved the mouse got his bussing sound in the speakers, and the computer just crashed when I was using DMA mode on hard drives.

After the wire strapping and a few OS updates, there was no sound in speaker when moving mouse, and I was able to use the IDE ports in DMA mode while using the AGP port.

I'm do not remember the details what DMA fix did, but it made a huge improvement on my computer that’s all I have to say about it.

Anyway if you have good advice about his issue and think you know what it might be, you should share your experience whit him, I'm basing my support on my experience, and my memory about issues as I remember the issues.

I do not want to talk crap about AmigaONE-XE but it defiantly a difficult computer to deal whit based on number of support cases and issues people have reported about this computer.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 19-Nov-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Nov-2013 at 01:38 PM.

themamboman 
Posted on 18-Nov-2013 18:35:09
#29 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Just for clarification, I didn't receive this as part of a full computer, just the motherboard with memory installed and various Amiga OS CDs.

Okay, I don't have the visible fixes and have been using the AGP radeon 9000 pro card. Seems to work in the CD installer no problems.

I'm going to try to capture serial output tonight if I can find a null modem cable.

@Hypex

Thanks for the heads up about the Uboot program. I will check when I get home later today. I didn't recall seeing that in the Prefs drawer but will look again (sure it is in OS4.0 and not 4.1 or later?)

---

How about a different tactic:

Pretend you've just received an A1XE motherboard, no fixes visible with memory installed
You put it into an ATX case with a high quality power supply, plug in an AGP card and a sound card
Plug in a ps2 keyboard and USB mouse,
reset the Uboot (v1.1.1) to factory default settings

No a1ide_conf or anything exists. You only have a dvd drive as master on the primary IDE and a single 32GB HDD as primary slave.

What steps would you take?

The cd is the Amiga OS4.0 final ISO (not july 2007 changes yet).
Recap of what I did:

What I did was boot into IDE CD, which launched the installer in 800x600 60hz,
I opened MTB, I selected a1ide controller
I selected the 2nd entry, the HDD
I edited RDB, installed slb bootloader from CD:L drive
I partitioned the drive with a single partition, FFS/Long filenames, max size (32GB)
I set it to automount and bootable, with boot priority 0
Saved changes to disk, restarted, when installer started up and I could see desktop, I formatted
the drive with QuickFormat
I ran the installer, choosing the formatted partition
at the end, I choose the same screenmode as the CD installer CD choose (default)

after reboot, I set the boot1 disk to IDE HDD, it reset, then loaded kickstart from hdd, then insert floppy disk animation.

Following instructions here, I rebooted into UBOOT, set a1ide=2100, saveenv, reset
kickstart loads from HDD, then blank.

Went back in with CD and verified the Drive settings, no filesystems installed in RDB, removed one of the two SIMMs.

Then, I notice that having the CD in drive after the blank will eventually spin up and restart installer.

There is nothing important on the computer. I can do anything. I don't mind returning to factory defaults.

Thanks again for all the help!

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Nov-2013 14:38:40
#30 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Sorry it may be OS4.1 thing. Hard to keep track of these things. We need an OS4 program database.

Last edited by Hypex on 20-Nov-2013 at 01:00 PM.

themamboman 
Posted on 19-Nov-2013 16:15:02
#31 ]

@Hypex

If I can ever get this OS4.0 working, I'll immediately update to 4.1.

I'm going to restart tonight from scratch and see what happens.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Nov-2013 13:38:20
#32 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Well I have always used the AGP slot, also before I did the IRQ wire strapping, DMA fix.

Always used AGP here too. Your quote I replied to looked like it was was saying that on an unfixed machine one must use a PCI 66Mhz VGA card only in the top PCI slot.

Quote:
Before the fix whenever I moved the mouse got his bussing sound in the speakers, and the computer just crashed when I was using DMA mode on hard drives.

I don't recall a mouse move affecting speakers here but I didn't use DMA mode as I knew onboard IDE was bugged. Tested and didn't trust maybe but turned it off full time.

Quote:
Anyway if you have good advice about his issue and think you know what it might be, you should share your experience whit him,

That's exactly why I replied. The points I made is what I do have actual experience with. Both on my machine and others.

That's not to say this is exactly why it's happening. I did point out three. But it could be one of them. I have also seen OS4 go erratic and lose drives on a Sam machine because it didn't like the VGA card being in the recommended video slot.

Quote:
I do not want to talk crap about AmigaONE-XE but it defiantly a difficult computer to deal whit

I've known mine a long time and kniow what issues it can have. Also, each experience is personal, and some people have a very troubling time with certain issues while other don't.

As examples, CPU solder joints dry cracking and needing a reflow. People getting recommend server ram and having problems or people trying to use two ram sticks and geting problems. Batteries constantly dying and givng the dead screen scare.

Apart from this, there is technical know how. This can help in dealing with a problem. Or even following instructions. Not everyone is technically minded and this can stop someone from sorting out what could be a simple problem or simple solution. I have seen it said that all one needs to do is follow instructions but to me this is not good enough. If you don't know what you are doing and don't understand the process things can be messed up. I have seen this happen. So any advice needs to be given with respect to and being senstive to that persons knowledge and know how.

Last edited by Hypex on 20-Nov-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Nov-2013 13:54:01
#33 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Quote:
[b]What steps would you take?[\ub]

If I was to continue using the onboard IDE, then for a start I'd put those drives on a seperate bus.

Quote:
I partitioned the drive with a single partition, FFS/Long filenames, max size (32GB)

Okay, what I would do is partition Workbench at 2GB in DOS7 (I have used FFS) and create a Work volume at 30GB in SFS.

Workbench doesn't need to be very big. 32-bit size at the most. And I wouldn't like a large partition yet alone a whole drive in FFS!

Quote:
after reboot, I set the boot1 disk to IDE HDD, it reset, then loaded kickstart from hdd, then insert floppy disk animation.

Apart from custom comments. From what you have said your install setup looks fine. The install proves the UBoot setup and other hardware does work.

Quote:
Following instructions here, I rebooted into UBOOT, set a1ide=2100, saveenv, resetkickstart loads from HDD, then blank.

It might be easier to reset to factory default. Or just set these vars to a blank value and erase them. Such as a1ide_conf and a1ide_xfer. BTW what is a1ide, a1ide_what?

Check Documentation/IDE/a1ide_dev.doc variables and also for cable setup.

Last edited by Hypex on 20-Nov-2013 at 01:56 PM.

themamboman 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 16:32:11
#34 ]

@Hypex

I did some serial debugging (debuglevel=1) and got this for the a1ide section:

a1ide.device 52.1 (09.12.2006)
Running on new memory system
Config forced in $a1ide_conf : 2100
Xfer modes forced in $a1ide_xfer : 1111
Running on AmigaOne
Found chip #0
---> Port 0
IOBase 000001F0, AltBase 000003F6
bmcr_base 0000CC00
MMIOBase 00000000
Config forced, no scan
2 device(s) on port
0 Master : 'ATAPI'
1 Slave : 'ATA'
Starting 'a1ide.device - chip 0 port 0' task
Trying to configure unit 0
Adjusting unit 0 to xfer mode 12
Unit configured, flags $011D
Trying to configure unit 1
multi_count 16
Adjusting unit 1 to xfer mode 12
Unit configured, flags $0185
Port 0 task started
---> Port 1
IOBase 00000170, AltBase 00000376
bmcr_base 0000CC08
MMIOBase 00000000
Config forced, no scan
0 device(s) on port
All done

Anything there stand out as suspicious?

the disklayout.config file had some info I couldn't quite translate:

; device units flags (1 = mount HD, 2 = mount CD/DVD, 3 = both, +4 = support LUNs)
a1ide.device 4 3

and the kicklayout file only listed a bunch of startup modules.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 21:01:08
#35 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Yes this

"Adjusting unit 1 to xfer mode 12"

I do not understand way it try's mode 12, we asked for mode 1.

12 is hex "C"

I think PIO modes are 1 to 4, I'm start to thinking I'm wrong.

UDMA 0=A
UDMA 1=B
UDMA 2=C
UDMA 3=D
UDMA 4=E
UDMA 5=F

looking at Uboot Prefs and comparing it to my uboot variables.
the xfer value 0 should be "Best PIO" option in uboot prefs, maybe you should try.

a1ide_xfer 0000 instead.

Anyway you might want to move the disk from salve to secondary master, it might help.
And change the a1ide_conf to 2010, instead of what you have.

This is my current config.

can you dump the uboot settings from your install cd.

type next line in shell:

nvgetvar >ram:uboot.txt

open ram disk, and copy uboot.txt file to a USB pen or some thing.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:05 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 21:21:01
#36 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

This is my current uboot settings if you like to compare:

bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd
bootdelay=0
baudrate=115200
preboot=
stdout=vga
ide_doreset=on
ide_cd_timeout=30
menucmd=menu
pci_irqa=9
pci_irqa_select=level
pci_irqb=10
pci_irqb_select=level
pci_irqc=11
pci_irqc_select=level
pci_irqd=7
pci_irqd_select=level
bootmethod=boota
ethact=3Com 3c920c#0
ethaddr=00:09:D2:11:03:17
ipaddr=
serverip=
a1ide_conf=2010
a1ide_xfer=00E0
cd=ide reset;diskboot 1000000 0:0 0;bootm
video_activate=agp
boot1=ide
boot3=
boot_config=Default
boota_timeout=1
bootdevice=0:1
boot_command=diskboot
boot_method=boota
menuboot_delay=1
os4_commandline=debuglevel=0
bootargs=root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk=4096 ide=nodma
serial1_address=3f8
serial2_address=2f8
parallel_mode=0
parallel_address=378
usb0_enable=on
usb1_enable=on
usb_use_header=0
ide_maxbus=2
ide_swap=0
stdin=ps2kbd
sii3512ide_irq=00
boot2=menu; run menuboot_cmd
agp_enable=on
agp_sideband=on
agp_speed=2x
video_num=1
menuboot_cmd=boota; boota; boota

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 10:13 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 21:51:01
#37 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

Quote:

the disklayout.config file had some info I couldn't quite translate:

; device units flags (1 = mount HD, 2 = mount CD/DVD, 3 = both, +4 = support LUNs)
a1ide.device 4 3

Here the files name is diskboot.config, not disklayout.config.

Anyway the first number is numbers of units (primary,slave, Secondary master, Secondary Slave), so the number is 4, next number is flag 3 = both (HD and CDROM).

So do not change that file.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Nov-2013 at 09:52 PM.

themamboman 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 22:16:27
#38 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
can you dump the uboot settings from your install cd.

type next line in shell:

nvgetvar >ram:uboot.txt

open ram disk, and copy uboot.txt file to a USB pen or some thing.

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll try changing the xfer to 0000 and see what is happening, then I'll change the HDD to be master on secondary internal IDE if I can find another IDE cable :)

Also, assuming that the uboot args would be needed, I also grabbed them earlier. Here's the info:

baudrate=115200
stdout=vga
stdin=ps2kbd
ide_doreset=on
ide_cd_timeout=30
menucmd=menu
bootmethod=boota
ethact=3Com 3c920c#0
ethaddr=00:09:D2:11:00:98
bootcmd=menu; run menuboot_cmd
idemax=1
autostart=on
bootdevice=0:2
boot_command=diskboot
a1ide_conf=2100
serial1_address=3f8
serial2_address=2f8
parallel_mode=0
parallel_address=378
usb0_enable=on
usb1_enable=off
usb_use_header=0
ide_maxbus=1
ide_swap=0
pci_irqa=11
pci_irqa_select=level
pci_irqb=10
pci_irqb_select=level
pci_irqc=11
pci_irqc_select=level
pci_irqd=7
pci_irqd_select=level
agp_enable=on
agp_sideband=off
agp_speed=2x
limit_memory=512
use_memory_limit=yes
menuboot_cmd=
a1ide_xfer=1111
boot1=cdrom
boot2=ide
boot3=
boot_config=Default
boota_timeout=10
boot_method=boota
menuboot_delay=5
os4_commandline=debuglevel=0 serial
bootargs=root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk=4096

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 22:51:56
#39 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

if you find an other ide cable you will also need to change

ide_maxbus to value 2.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Nov-2013 23:04:41
#40 ]
Elite Member

@themamboman

also I noticed that you have

pci_irqa=11 and i have irq 9 in my uboot config.

Notice that pci_irqa and pci_irqc is the same that's normally a bad thing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle