Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  4 mins ago
 BigD:  6 mins ago
 Rob:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  10 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 retrofaza:  54 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 AmigaOldskooler:  1 hr 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Where the @#&@(!& is "X" ???
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
sundown 
Re: Where the @#&@(!& is "X" ???
Posted on 7-Jun-2011 23:15:19
#201 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
So, er, will the beta-testers be running Squeeze, or AmigaOS 4.1?

Beta testers will NOT be testing the board.
Beta testers will NOT be testing linux.
Beta testers WILL be testing OS4.
Beta testers WILL have the option to run linux as well, if they want.

Linux has all the tools to verify the board, thats the reason it was used, OS4 does not.

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 7-Jun-2011 23:16:30
#202 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Hey AmigaBlitter I am blonde...I resent that!

klx300r 
Posted on 7-Jun-2011 23:23:33
#203 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

elatour wrote:
@Fransexy

Quote:
Every company out there do the same, Apple, Microsoft...

Really? Name the last time Apple announced something that was coming out in six months before eventually releasing an announcement of something to be available 6 months later only to not even have beta boards available for testing a year later AFTER that...

er..don't give a rats ass on anything apple does but I'll give you a much better example...HP as in Hewlett Packard has been announcing the new webOS tablet (touchpad) and smartphone (Pre3) for well over a year now..I know because i WANT the Pre3 (palm Pre successor) SOOOO to finish how you started off...YA REALLY !

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

jingof 
Posted on 7-Jun-2011 23:27:55
#204 ]

@freeaks

Quote:
they don't owe me nothing (e.g: information) personaly,
they owe it to the community. the users of their platform.
to everyone buying their products. it's logical if ppl feel neglected / ignored, and grow upset. so finally you get complains on various forums.
they are legitimate complains, users want to know what's happening so they can make decision to stay or leave for example.

You seem really concerned to be uninformed about the X1000 project. Why didn't you sign on to the beta program? Then, you'd be kept quite informed.

Quote:
1post per week or two, wouldn't hurt even a 1man "team"

That is not realistic. Show me any company that gives weekly or even monthy public updates about the internal development of the company's primary R&D effort.

Such R&D efforts can often take missteps, or even back steps. No company wants to "tweet" every time they solder a resistor, and then have to hear (and respond to) the entire community judge them for how well they did.

The X-1000 team is giving approximately quarterly updates. I think that's about right.

Last edited by jingof on 07-Jun-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Last edited by jingof on 07-Jun-2011 at 11:31 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 7-Jun-2011 23:38:35
#205 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Sorry, i thought was Chuck Norris that solved the problem, wasn't him?

jingof 
Posted on 7-Jun-2011 23:44:41
#206 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:
Well put...and erm...your avatar......I like it...

Yeah.. nice ... huh!

Last edited by jingof on 07-Jun-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 0:11:41
#207 ]
Cult Member

@Paul

Quote:
Oh, yes, of course. . . I should have realized that. If someone's not a developer, they don't qualify to be an Amigan.

At least it shows that they have a CLUE about Amiga which isn't a norm with peopels posting here.

BTW. I don't remember Piru posting here. Though kudos for him for blizkick :)

marko 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 0:15:35
#208 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@jingof

Quote:
Yeah.. nice ... huh!

Thanx

Last edited by marko on 08-Jun-2011 at 12:19 AM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

elatour 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 1:10:45
#209 ]
Cult Member

@Plexus
Quote:
Ok I hear annoncement of iphone 5. Now apple have change it to only updated version of iphone 4.

Clarification. You heard a "rumour" about iPhone 5 from the bloggosphere, and an actual announcement by Apple of an updated version to iPhone 4. Difference is that Apple did not make an announcement and then change it later somehow.

elatour 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 1:26:48
#210 ]
Cult Member

@Fransexy
Quote:
AND YO WANT AND DEMAND TO A "THOUSAND DOLLAR" COMPANY TO DO IT BETTER THAN A MULTIBILLION DOLLAR ONE???!!!!! IT'S CRAZY!!!!!!

Get your facts straight. I demand(ed) nothing. I pointed out that the statement that Apple does the same is not supported by facts.

I should however point out that by your logic, when someone's pocket book is in the millions or billions and is off by one month, another with a pocket book in the thousands should be able to get away with being off by thousands of times longer, or say 100 or so years, give or take a few decades. This is just plain ludicrous.

Apple has consistently been pretty close manufacturing when they announce something. The iPods, iPhones, and iPads were no exceptions to this and were worked on secretely for years before making any announcements...and when they did, they announced 3-6 month availability timeframes with deliveries on-time. In this day and age, any technology company whether large or small, risks loosing any credibilty when they continually announce and re-announce products and then keep missing their targets by years not just a few months, period.

Last edited by elatour on 08-Jun-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Fransexy 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 1:43:11
#211 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:

elatour wrote:
@Fransexy
Quote:
AND YO WANT AND DEMAND TO A "THOUSAND DOLLAR" COMPANY TO DO IT BETTER THAN A MULTIBILLION DOLLAR ONE???!!!!! IT'S CRAZY!!!!!!

Get your facts straight. I demand(ed) nothing. I pointed out that the statement that Apple does the same is not supported by facts.

I should however point out that by your logic, when someone's pocket book is in the millions or billions and is off by one month, another with a pocket book in the thousands should be able to get away with being off by thousands of times longer, or say 100 or so years, give or take a few decades. This is just plain ludicrous.

Apple has consistently been pretty close manufacturing when they announce something. The iPods, iPhones, and iPads were no exceptions to this and were worked on secretely for years before making any announcements...and when they did, they announced 3-6 month availability timeframes with deliveries on-time. In this day and age, any technology company whether large or small, risks loosing any credibilty when they continually announce and re-announce products and then keep missing their targets by years not just a few months, period.

Anyway, even Apple has delays (even if they are minimal) or delivered products with shortcomings, only that they have a good marketing to convert these shortcomings in features

In whatever case you missed the fundamental question that was that any company even multimillion ones have pre-announcements, delays and changes of specifications. I put Apple as one of many example, maybe not the better one, but other guy pointed you to another example: HP an their new WebOS tablet and phone.Another example could be RIM and their Playbook and I could continue with more examples

Last edited by Fransexy on 08-Jun-2011 at 01:44 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 2:04:11
#212 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e:
doesnt sound very well. as usual alas.

@Amiga_3k :
Quote:

@kas1e
I can only quote Jon Bon Jovi: Keep the Faith.

please, i know its a matter of taste, but by quoting bon jovi, the most trusty person might discredite himself as pretender. sorry.couldnt resist..

Last edited by wawa on 08-Jun-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Last edited by wawa on 08-Jun-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Last edited by wawa on 08-Jun-2011 at 02:06 AM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 7:17:14
#213 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

>>Yeah.. nice ... huh!

If you excuse me now...I have something to do...later

jingof 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 8:31:14
#214 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:
>>Yeah.. nice ... huh!

If you excuse me now...I have something to do...later

QuBe 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 8:35:16
#215 ]

@realize

Well you have your answer now... with the latest X1000 updated :)

Q!

"i am home"

kas1e 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 9:18:14
#216 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
Quote:

doesnt sound very well. as usual alas.

Same for me. Sounds more just like "we are still alive and working".

What i in interest to know, its : did onboard sound on x1000 have ahi-drivers already or not. Have amigaos4 some _real_ bugs on x1000 right now, or for example, maybe there is some problems with HW which will give problems with aos4 porting (while linux can works fine already). Did onboard SATA works in DMA mode on x1000 on aos4 already, or, the same as sam460 working in slow mode. Did all the interfaces and extensions of motherboard working at full and as should ?

For me, those "news" its all only words. And more of it, i think we still will wait 1 year (or more) for final release of x1000 for mass production with fully working aos4 on it. Imho all that "waiting is over" messages was to early.

Why no videos how aos4 working right now ? Since last amiwest passed a lot of time, so something new and fresh for sure will be intersting to see. Some posts on blog about it also will be interesting and so on. For now its all just "we working, soon betatesters will have boards".

Last edited by kas1e on 08-Jun-2011 at 09:19 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 10:44:39
#217 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDog

Actually, that's not what Moore's law states.

First off, it's not a law, it's an observation. Made back in the early 70's.
Second off, it's not about performance. It's about transistor density.
And thirdly it's not about 18 months, it's about 2 years.

ftp://download.intel.com/museum/Moores_Law/Video-Transcripts/Excepts_A_Conversation_with_Gordon_Moore.pdf

Anyhoo, to sum up: The number of transistors we can comfortably fit within an integrated circuit in 1975 will be about 60000. (predicted in 1965). Revised to: from 1975 onwards, the number of transistors that fit comfortably now seems to double every second year.

Any predictions of cost or performance are secondary effects not actually part of Moore's law.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

realize 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 10:45:05
#218 ]

Well

Some news is ok news... the problem is I can deduce some things here.

A. If the ARTICLE on the Nemo (x1000) board is coming in JULY issue of the amiga mag you sure wont see boards for sale until maybe christmas.

B. Beta testers have yet to get boards and run os4. This further strengthens the argument in A.

C. No hyperion or aeon representative has posted on this 11 page thread. Which again, strengthens position A.

Furthermore, like ka1se says not one video or screenshot or ANYTHING since Amiwest (were little was shown there imho) further backing up argument A.

So in summary not good news :(

Dont you guys think if OS4 was having progress and the board was working properly with it we would have all kinds of news and propaganda? I mean how much propaganda 2 years ago with the "What is X ? " Campaign? (hence the title of the post)

realize 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 11:01:34
#219 ]

@jacadcaps

Quote:
Imho, this clearly shows how little you know about classic Amiga and people involved in making it a platform we all loved.

isnt it quite amusing when amiga fanboys cream all over themselves when Dave Haynie posts? Or say Dale Luck, or Carl s? Isnt if quite silly? Considering these 3 guys have done almost nothing for the amiga community in years upon years.

They then turn around and villanize Phase 5 guys, or Ralphs S, or Frank M (the father of RTG on amiga ) or Platon (creator of usb on amiga) Stuntzi (mui4) etc etc etc..

You've got Fab basically helping os4 effort on inet front, after the beloved clown who took a bounty and more paypal donations delivered a crap OWB.
And people still call Morphos guys criminals?

All the guys who banned me and crucified me years ago when I openly criticized Ainc (after directly dealing with them for years) NOW they turned against them and seem to have amnesia about it.

Or all the A1 fanboys who I tried to tell I was in the Motorola labs and they had the Teron (Amiga 1) boards running YDL .. and in the words of one of their main programmers "its a piece of sh8t"

I go and post this and tell people al ot of their DMA problems and USB probs were the Articia S chip and they violently defend it...

Then a couple of years later "THE FIX" for the A1 comes out (when they initially said there was no problem)

and on and on and on....

The really sad part is that all of the real amiga insiders know the truth of these matters, and the fanboys are still living in a fantasy land. But I guess thats the Amiga "mystique" They are hypnotized by false prophets and burn the real heroes at the stake.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Jun-2011 11:06:18
#220 ]
Elite Member

@realize

A:
Uhm? What does the release of a board have to do with the publishing dates of a magazine?

We knew that the previous release of the mag didn't have the upcoming article in it, so I don't see how an announcement of an "update article" can be taken as a negative. Sorry, I just don't.

Not to say that your estimate of boards in sale not before maybe christmas isn't valid, but how you got from "mag article in july" to "boards on sale not before christmas" is a little impressive, considering one has nothing to do with the other.

B:
The same post you take information about the article from also specifies what's up with the beta tester boards. As in, they have now been released for manufacturing, after an initial proto batch has been fully tested and found working. Again, they aren't supposed to be hardware testers, they are supposed to be software testers. So giving them unverified hardware wouldn't be fair. This is what brought down Eyetech, as they trusted the manufacturer of chips and boards too much. This time, that doesn't look like it'll be a problem.

C:
Given how offensive the title is and how much #### has been thrown their way in this thread I actually applaud them for staying away and hopefully focusing on what is important. You got your information about what is happening at the mfg plant, now shut the heck up and let them do their work.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle