Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  32 mins ago
 rzookol:  48 mins ago
 Hammer:  49 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 kolla:  57 mins ago
 retrofaza:  57 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Torque:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Where the @#&@(!& is "X" ???
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
Arko 
Re: Where the @#&@(!& is "X" ???
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 15:42:07
#61 ]

@freeaks

Quote:

freeaks wrote:
i think the x1000 board exist, i think beta tester have em or will have em (if not already).

Well that might be true for the five rev 2.0 motherboards that where produced. But these beta testers are more something like developers (hyperion, a-eon, linux).

Quote:

1.5 year ago, they said "you don't have to wait till summer"
it was lies. they must have known it wasn't possible to deliver boards to everyone in few month time. ( from january 2010 to summer 2010)
so it was just a strategy to counter what morphos had to offer at that time:

I just thought they want to keep their potential customers aka AOS4 fans happy, nothing more. I thought the beta boards will be delayed until end of 2010 I wrote about it last year:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31763&forum=2#563165

I'm suprised they could not deliver last December and the 5 beta tester boards is nothing more like a zero series for the rev 2.0 motherboard. I could imagine 3 reasons for this problems:

1. Hardware or design problem with the Rev2.0 Nemo board
2. Mismanagement
3. Some major problems with A-Eon ( no money, internal quarrels)

If everything is fine and goes on as planned (like Trevor said) all this delays where a part of the plan and I don't believe Trevor has been such a crook.

The A1X1K believers may think what they, but I would not buy a computer from a company with such mismanagement problems. A lot of things looks exactly like they did before Eyetech disappeared. Maybe the whole project is in danger becoming the tombstone of AOS4. Something that might give the Amiga an new start.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
Mechanic 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 17:01:38
#62 ]
Elite Member

@
Hyperion was not paid by Ainc to write a new OS.
They could not do anything to/for/with AmigaOS until the last quarter of 2009.

Now these holdups with X1k may or may not be warranted in our minds, but every
time ANY of the principles post something here, all they catch is crap. Oh yeah,
that's what I would want to hear for offering even the smallest bit of info.

Anyway....none of that matters. ATech...er a,Ainc.....er a,kmos.....er a, well
one of those has been working on a new Amiga motherboard with AmigaOS 5 to be
done in-house and it should be ready anytime now, and all our problems and
concerns will disappear into the vapor. Have faith.

So I think we should all get together and write a nice letter of support to
Itek, I mean A--, (add your own), instead of complaining on a public website.

Volunteers?

I'm sure once they get our lovely letter all will be great, unless........

1. Hardware or design problem with the ACK board. (doubtful)
2. Mismanagement. (out of the question)
3. Some major problems with Ainc ( no money, internal quarrels). (impossible)

Still.....I think I'll wait for X1000. Because I want one.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 18:27:53
#63 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Quote:
What's more the classic stuff is stable and as much relevance in mainstream computing than your thousand dollar PPC rubbish (i.e. none). 68k all the way baby!

Even SAM is cheaper and more useable than classic setup I would like to have.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 19:44:28
#64 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Quote:
What's more the classic stuff is stable and as much relevance in mainstream computing than your thousand dollar PPC rubbish (i.e. none). 68k all the way baby!

stable?
It crashed the second you run buggy program, and every time you get the red guru mediation whit no relevant debug information that can be understood by human, not extremely useful when my hobby is writing applications.

“as much relevance in mainstream?”
You can't do every day tasks on it like surfing CSS web pages, video and you don't have cpu power to some thing interesting.

“your thousand dollar PPC rubbish”
Contrary to Piru and Takemehome propaganda, there is only ONE motherboard that is total rubbish and that the SE model, the Sam440 / Sam460 / AmigaONE-XE works rally nice, and for years people have been using CyberStormPPC and BlizardPPC cards on the Classic Amigas.

I have nothing against classic users, but I think there is a big difference; its what we do expect from AmigaOS in 2011, my impression is that classic users only play OCS games, and like play geeky hardware from 1985-94's nothing wrong whit that.

And place don't even try telling me I should be running WinUAE, because then you are no classic users at all, then you are the wannabe

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jun-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jun-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jun-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jun-2011 at 07:45 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 20:34:39
#65 ]
Elite Member

@realize and all

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I WAS JOKING. I am not part of the X1000 program.

I thought the smilie would be a dead give-away.

"NDA" seems to fit in well with many conspiracy theories.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 04-Jun-2011 at 08:59 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 20:44:47
#66 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Thanks for the wake-up call.

Quote:

You know why people didn't know how AmigaOne turned out before it was too late?

NDA and secret forums + moderation of "trolling".

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

I remember those days. I purchased one of the last batch of MicroA1's available in Canada. Even though I paid full retail price, I was never given access to the private owners forums, until they were opened up to the public long after I purchased my system. Fortunately, the OS4 install guide was very straight forward and I had my system online very soon after purchase. I learned more from those people who were willing to respond in the forums than from any official sources. sundown, number6 and many others (including Rogue) answered my questions and helped in many ways. Justin from LIvewire (the retailer) also helped me with a firmware upgrade.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 04-Jun-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Barana 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 20:52:32
#67 ]
Cult Member

@opi

Quote:
Ah, the Amiga school of marketing. Hype, hype, prepay, NDA. So awesome.

I represent a small majority of people that look poorly on your constant negative FUD dispersal. (ever seen a muck spreading machne?).

And yes, you re free to write what you want here, but you do seem to be generally unhappy here with all the posativeminded aw members.

I do wonderwhat would make you happy...

and no, i dont want to know the answers to theres questions, they're for you to work out for yourself.

Maybe you would be happier with the likemindedness of people on Moo?

my two 'Eurocents'

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

damocles 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 21:01:24
#68 ]

@Barana

Quote:
I represent a small majority

Huh?

number6 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 21:04:01
#69 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

Quote:
I learned more from those people who were willing to respond in the forums than from any official sources. sundown, number6 and many others (including Rogue) answered my questions and helped in many ways.

Thank you for that redfox...really.

Barana 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 21:09:11
#70 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

:->

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 21:27:50
#71 ]
Cult Member

Just read this thread and I wanted to not reply at first but now I feel I have to drop in my 2 cents.

First of all: I have no budget and space to justify something like an X1000 in the house. This does not mean that I'm not interested in this machine. Sure, when you compare at component level it is not the most speedy machine for your buck, but at least it promises a few tricks capable of capturing the imagination of developers.

I'm a mechanical engineer (worked for DAF, Philips, Hyster, Greif, working for ASML) and know that every change you want to make (being necessary or not) roughly takes 13 weeks to materialize from release of technical drawing to having the first production run sitting on your desk. That's 3 months. Sure, you can speed up things but that means that you'll have to have access to a proto-build shop. If you don't you can outsource it... at a price! Now, that last part 'at a price' is something A-Eon rather spends on development instead of speeding things up. Oh, those 13 weeks is without time needed for design or fine-tuning the design based on previous prototypes.

So we'll have to practice patience. Sure, it's been a long time since the hyping-things-up program but no matter what statement comes from either Hyperion, A-Eon or Trevor... the result will always be a shower of praising comments and a shower of cursing comments.

Jape 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 21:37:37
#72 ]

@All

I've been away for over a year due to my son and family.
I had to sell away my µA1, well not had to but i did because lack of time. (i know i don't have time to fiddle with it. priorities).
X1000 was really good news and i really hoped that this thing will bring us up to the near time of technology today. (of course keeping in mind that os4 is really lightweight)..
I watched how things were keeping up, and i still do. But ONE thing is bugging me seriously. How the f*** things always slows down or halts totally, there has been so many good projects and ideas that i cannot understand how they f*** things up every time.
I'd like to be using "Amiga" and AmigaOS, and how many years i tried to be part of that dream that there can be more than a Microsoft with it's buddies. I still hope but my hope is starting to fade, and i feel sad... I really do.
Now i'm the slave of Microsoft because i need totally working setup. No time to fiddle anymore.
C'mon guys. If you're up to some good news, like X1000, just like Nike says "Just Do It". OK there's budgets etc. There's handful of people etc.
WE ARE going to take this to the next millenium, and will be never ready.
And personally i am really sad and down because of it.
Speed things up or we will perish, thumbs up for all Amiga people and relatives.
And YES we will still believe...

jingof 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:02:15
#73 ]

@realize, @opi, @freeks, @exec, @thread,
Quote:
It`s AInc in another dress.

Quote:
It`s nowhere. They`re out of money.

Quote:
comeon it's mafia OS,

Quote:
Hype, hype, prepay, NDA. So awesome.

Quote:
Quote:
A-eon is not willing to screw over ppl, big difference.

I remember when people said the same thing about AmigaOne.

What a bunch of impatient children you guys can be. What... we've waited decades for a team of engineers to assemble around our platform, yet a few extra months, while outstanding engineers are "tweaking" and "improving" is going to drive you crazy.

You're like my 5 year old in the back seat who keeps asking every 5 minutes, "are we there yet?"

No, we aren't there yet. This project has many new aspects, and is taking longer than expected. GET OVER IT!

Even the earthquake in Japan hit the X1000. You guys going to blame A-EON for not anticipating the most expensive natural disaster in human history too!

Worst of all, you people are MISSING THE FOREST FOR THE TREES.

The Amiga platform is, for the first time in decades, taking a real step forward into modernity. We have a team of investors and quality engineers dedicated to the cause so much so, that they are spending toil and treasure to deliver this thing!

You guys complain about your precious wait time.. You think you've got problems waiting things out! Consider what the investors in this project are going through! Time is money, and these guys are NOT working these extra months for free. More and more time and money is being dumped into this project, while excellent engineering talent is working on the X1000 to make sure it is a product worth having. That's incredible, and I'd choose to leave the project in their hands to benefit from their engineering as long as necessary because 'AMI' AINT GETTING THIS CHANCE AGAIN!! (without a resounding success from X1000) So, best to be damn sure, before the team refocuses on other projects. Can't you guys see that...

So, have a little patience and show some respect! ... You're paying a lot less than they are as a result of these delays, yet they aren't the ones complaining. They continue to make steady progress, with 2 to 3 month progress reports, while the children they seek to deliver a product to, call them crooks.

((Oh... but I'm sure I'm just wasting my breath. I mean, look who I'm talking to! The logic impaired, with no capacity to understand reason. So, I'm sure my words will be cast aside.))

((BTW: Respond if you agree with this. The disgruntled minority is overly represented in these forums, and I like to see an end to that!!!)

Last edited by jingof on 05-Jun-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Last edited by jingof on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Last edited by jingof on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Last edited by jingof on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Last edited by jingof on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Last edited by jingof on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:15:25
#74 ]
Cult Member

@jingof

Agree!

I was just thinking things over again. A-Eon have made agreements with Varisys on the design of the hardware. These agreements are most probably made in a period where business was low. It made me remember how my boss went through that time. He was willing to pick-up development projects on a cost-price base. This meant that the resources he put on a project were paid for but allowed him to relocate those resources if an other party came by having a project priced way above cost-price.

This was a sort of win-win situation for both parties. My boss knew he at least didn't have to loose money while keeping engineers employed and gave him the opportunity to relocate them to earn an extra buck. The company going for the cost-price project knew that he had people working on his product at a bargain price with the only down-side that it could take a little longer.

The people opting for the cost-price base were companies working in niche markets. They all got what they wanted, some ahead of schedule, some way beyond schedule.

Now... just for once... imagine Varisys is like my boss accepting projects at a lower price with the downside of 'it taking a bit longer' and A-Eon being like the niche companies wanting a nice product at a lower cost price... Just imagine... a construction like that is in place... that resources are only available when Varisys has them in between projects... Then... this means we'll have to be patience. I only hope that Amiga users who have signed up and payed for the beta-program are kept informed of the progress.

samo79 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:17:07
#75 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Of course, yours is a normal type of think but IMHO you have missed the basic, those guys are never intended to buy anothings OS4 related nor now or in any future, when X1000 will be out they are surely found any other thing to blame ... like now with OS 4.1 Update 2, for example when Update 3 will come with USB2 and other module included do you think they shut ?

This is the same EGO trolling since .. the beginning of OS 4.0, fight them or ignore them, personally i choose the second one and i live happy

Last edited by samo79 on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:19 PM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

jingof 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:36:14
#76 ]

@samo79

Your point is certainly not lost on me. I know most of these 'naysayers' are just trolling for the fun of trolling.

However, the silent majority just seats here and lets them take over, because we are exhausted by past efforts to refute their idiocy.

And I'm sure I'll get there too. I mean, what's the point of arguing with the deranged man, who believes he is Jesus re-incarnate, recently abducted by aliens. I'd say you'd get further talking reason into that guy.

Last edited by jingof on 04-Jun-2011 at 10:43 PM.

A1200 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:41:15
#77 ]
Elite Member

The path of OS4 and the related hardware isn't where I would want to see it to get me excited and feel I am still following the intended route of the platform.

If you are just trying to browse the web and play a DVD like you can on a PC (basically play catch up) for a LOT more money, what's the point of that. You may as well just live in the past and play old games and listen to mods in Hippoplayer, at least you will still feel like you are part of the scene.

sundown 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:46:14
#78 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

This a war of pure hatred. These guys couldn't color a picture of h/w in a coloring book, let alone build anything, but they are experts at tearing down the efforts of others if it doesn't suit them.

Nice post #73, by the way.

Last edited by sundown on 04-Jun-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Last edited by sundown on 04-Jun-2011 at 11:00 PM.

number6 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:55:01
#79 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
This is the red/blue war in all its glory, pure hatred.

That's odd. I don't see any MorphOS users posting in this thread except for the OP. Perhaps C=USA posters are now being confused with MorphOS users? Oh dear...

sundown 
Posted on 4-Jun-2011 22:57:30
#80 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

Quote:
I learned more from those people who were willing to respond in the forums than from any official sources. sundown, number6 and many others (including Rogue) answered my questions and helped in many ways. Justin from LIvewire (the retailer) also helped me with a firmware upgrade.

I really enjoyed that time with you & others, & still do. OS4 update 1 was a real challenge at the time & ppl bonded together helping each other. It's those special friendships here that keep me going.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle