Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  5 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  16 mins ago
 A1200:  21 mins ago
 pavlor:  26 mins ago
 amigakit:  33 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  First Contact AmigaOne X1000 question
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: First Contact AmigaOne X1000 question
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 15:58:43
#81 ]
Elite Member

@wava

Quote:
uhm, just noticed in another thread about bit-by-bit software that apparently not all of 100 (trevors chart on amiwest) x1k betatesters received their boards yet. also trevor himself has admitted not to have one. yet the commercial release is still announced before the end of the year, am i right? so when the whole betatesting is going to take place and in what does it differs form buying "first contact" machine? price, complete system, access to betatester ml?

Trevor will make this clear, as well as Hyperion team, but this is how it looks like now:

a) Beta testing is in progress. Beta testers recieved the board and OS 4.1 versions that was even more outdated (dubbed OS 4.1. X1000 Beta, by the sending date between release 2 and 3), are bound by secret policy and must report bugfixes during beta testing period. There was no guarantee this was the final board revision that will go on sale, but now looks like hardware was done way before software and first final products were sold to beta testers. Update 4 beta testers mention, so they will be step ahead

Amigakit now accepting preorders
So much talk before the release, lets hear real user reviews once avail.

It seems that AmigaOS was anyway made stable enough which was the point of beta testing. Only problem with be if people pre paid it and never got one, which we all hope isnt the case (source of info beside trevors chart - maybe beta testers response was lower then 100?).

b) First encouters is a final X1000 edition for consumer use. Yes,it comes with stable OS 4.1 update 5 unavail yet to all of us, and with extra network and sound card. But that is because OS 4.2 and X1000 drivers and not yet done. Another turn of OS 4.1 update 5 is promised. So its X1000 for those who want to use it now. Single core and with additional cards if needed and with 1GB RAM. Seems final price will not be any different. And its a test of desire and market

Mainly, First encouters is NOT ment for beta testing. It offers "X1000 now", so there is no need to wait for OS 4.2 as It works with current OS 4.1, in single core mode.

We always knew AmigaOS needs to catch up, now is "catching up time". Beta testing is ongoing in background + time is needed to add features in OS 4.2 and test them. No one can officialy tell when it will be out, but if X1000 final release is expected for e.g. Xmas season, it might be sold with OS 4.1u5 without additional cards, or with OS 4.2 if done by that time. Now its Hyperion on the move.

It looks a bit strange that SAM 440, SAM 460 and X1000 are out with beta versions of AmigaOS - but that is the way to push hardware (and then software) limits, the "chicken and the egg paradigm" again.

Its very strange now when "hardware is done" people have so many doubts

Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
KimmoK 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 16:35:32
#82 ]
Elite Member

It would be nice to know how many PA6T chips are available for x1000 production & warranty spare parts...

@vox

After so many disappointments with Articia etc, it's not news that people have doubts.

To me it seems that AOS4 has good HW partners now, unlike MAI.

Last edited by KimmoK on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:37 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

tommysammy 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 16:38:32
#83 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

Enough

vox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 16:50:50
#84 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

.Quote:
It would be nice to know how many PA6T chips are available for x1000 production & warranty spare parts

Yes, infamous Mai Logic - Amiga Inc - Eyetech venture was a real disaster for AmigaOne brand to start with. But its over.

There will be PA Semis as long American military wants to (cause they are US Millitary!) and that might keep those boards running some more. Plus they are well made in EU 2011 by a hardware vendor that has good reputation in the bussiness. Comes with 1 year warranty.

Quote:
To me it seems that AOS4 has good HW partners now, unlike MAI.

Yes, Acube AmiKit Hyperion and A-Eon / Varisys alliance is much better, and it survived longer

Everything announced has been delivered, and it would be good that people that can afford it, buy and support X1000. As power users, developers and promoters. That, and low end nettop would now cover all 3 basic market segments and would be a lovely promotion AND success for OS 4 / AmigaOne brand unlike with MAI.

Plus selling AmigaOS 4.2 for all supported systems, once its done. Seems like a nice way forward - break from years of "Amiga stalemate and crisis".

Quote:

After so many disappointments with Articia etc, it's not news that people have doubts

Sounds like a fresh reboot ... about a year away from now.
A1-Nettop A1-500 A1-X1000 with AmigaOS 4.2 / Linux / AROS
(and yes, would be good to have MorphOS 3.x too)
Is enthusiasm also expected?

Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 04:58 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 18:03:59
#85 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

(cause they are US Millitary!)

an opinion of true rastafarian?

vox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 19:00:25
#86 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
an opinion of true rastafarian?

Not that one has to love it. Very sad, but true. The Apple wont save PA Semi, neither will A1-X1000, just the "good" "old" US Military ...

Opinion would be that the world would be far better with no military (spendings and losses). Even "military computers" or "military as a customer" sounds evil and expensive to satisfy real peoples needs

PA Semi adds a bit of myth value

Rob 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 20:10:17
#87 ]
Elite Member

@vox

It was, in part, the military action of Selassie against the Italian invaders that inspired the original Rastafari. Also the dreadlocks, which came later, were worn because of their links to the warriors of certain african cultures. The basis of Reggae music is marching music.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 20:32:52
#88 ]
Cult Member

How can the military get processors that went out of production?. Unless of course, they convince pasemi to build another production of it.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

vox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 20:34:52
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

1) As victory of God over evil (and good over evil), yes
2) Not only the resistance warriors of army in exhile, all African warroors were inspiration to dreadlocks
3) Basis is one drop rhytm, not a march ... maybe it sounds marching

Surprisingly true and insightful remarks And as well cunning joke if should be something to make love the army. No thanks, but nice.

All the best!

Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 20:38:49
#90 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW/vox

Huh ???
-PASemi had contracts with (military) costumers.
-When Apple bought PASemi they were bound to provide CPUs to these costumers for a ceratin time (5 years)
-Apple most likely did that by keeping allready produced CPUs in stock (either directly or via chip brokers)
-those contract have either run out or shortly will be
-the CPUs by AEON/Varisys are most likely "leftover" from such contracts that have allready run out

Or in short:
Regardless how many CPUs exist (a few 100 ? 1000s ? a million ??) once they are gone they are gone (and noone will produce new ones).

Ancalimon 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 20:43:48
#91 ]

Will we get into trouble if someone with X1000 hacks some Us military device?

redrumloa 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 0:50:08
#92 ]
Cult Member

@Trevor

Will the X1000 be available at any dealers other than Amigakit? Do you think an end user board will ever be available as board only?

Thanks in advance.

$225 total spent!

amigasociety 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 0:55:33
#93 ]
Cult Member

@redrumloa

I see Relecs website shows at least a picture of the X1000. I know they have an X based system based on SAM but wonder if they plan on having X1000 at some point also.

http://relec.ch/frch/

tj

Swoop 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 1:25:38
#94 ]
Elite Member

@vox
Quote:
Yes, infamous Mai Logic - Amiga Inc - Eyetech venture was a real disaster for AmigaOne brand to start with. But its over.

And yet without Eyetech, OS4 wouldn't be in the situation it is today.
Disaster??? Not really, I have an earlybird G3 A1, and apart from the G4 cpu, there's no (currently) commercial harware to touch it. OK, I've had to add a sil card and a USB Hub, but not hard, or expensive to add. Overall, without Alan and the Amigaone, we would have no PPC OS4.

Quote:
(and yes, would be good to have MorphOS 3.x too)

I would love to try that too, hopefully on the mentioned OS4 netbook.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Deniil715 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 14:30:11
#95 ]
Elite Member

@BrandonLee

Quote:
A few people here are thinking (wrongly, IMHO) this: "Since I can and will buy it, it means the price is right".

I may have given that impression once or twice (since I can and will buy it), but what *I* meant with those comments was more like accepting that our niche hobby simply *is* expensive and we just have to live with that. It is of course unfortunate, but developing stuff like this simply costs that amount of money. It just cannot become cheaper unless someone risk loosing millions in the end, like our hero Trevor.

Quote:

It's not. It's expensive and I fear it will hurt the community in the end.

Arguments like "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't complain" are wrong. Every Amigan that is left "outside", is bad for the whole. Many would be willing to make a sacrifice and buy it, but at this price, I seriously doubt it.

It is pricey and of course I'd like the X1000 for $500 instead. I kind of expected somewhere between €1500-€2000 for a full system with OS4 and VAT and it looks closer to €2000. But I have been both mentally and financially prepared for this for at least a year now.

Some seem to have been hoping for a miracle, like $1000-1500 but seeing the Sam go for that price I saw it as completely unrealistic.

You must also remember that you only buy a new Amiga once every 7-10 years, unlike a PC which is like 3-5 years, in case you happen to want to make the irrelevant comparison to PCs...

vox 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 15:23:47
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

Quote:
And yet without Eyetech, OS4 wouldn't be in the situation it is today. Disaster??? Not really, I have an earlybird G3 A1, and apart from the G4 cpu, there's no (currently) commercial harware to touch it. OK, I've had to add a sil card and a USB Hub, but not hard, or expensive to add. Overall, without Alan and the Amigaone, we would have no PPC OS4.

Well, it was fixable, true and yes, if there was no original AmigaOne`s there would be hardly something to start with (even at that time more PPC board designs and desktops existed then today). Something is always better then nothing, but MAI Logic`s failures greatly added to the Amiga users not wanting to get the board when it was avail (and later was too late until SAM arrived).

Original promise that was supposed to be done with bPlan was expansion board for Classics with G3, then the standalone motherboard. AmigaOS 4 did the retro comeback with Classic versions, but quite late.

Quote:
and yes, would be good to have MorphOS 3.x too) I would love to try that too, hopefully on the mentioned OS4 netbook.

Even some "dirty" test port of MOS 3 for AmigaOne`s would be great: people would be able to judge do they want to use it (test it, and buy it). Hope MOS team will one day decide to end blue red war by targetting the same hardware, as well as OS4 for MacMinis PPC is still a great idea, and hope Hyperlon would reconsider it at some point (with all resources to X1000 and nettop ports and OS 4.2 now)

As this is A1-X1000 thread, hope that those who really want it, will go for this First Contact edition. Success of this offer is success of X1000 in general. And as I understand, update5 and X1000 Limited edition will be ready around Christhmas,
so OS 4.2 seems to be for the next year (or is it deadline for the final A1-X1000?).
This is only "not so clear" point of Trevors presentation.

"Dear Santa" for some big boys

BrandonLee 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 16:51:09
#97 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:
I may have given that impression once or twice (since I can and will buy it), but what *I* meant with those comments was more like accepting that our niche hobby simply *is* expensive and we just have to live with that. It is of course unfortunate

I'm obviously frustrated I can't get one for myself, but the bigger fear is that it ends up dilluting EVEN FURTHER our community.
People will just say "Wow, it costs that much? Ok, I'll look elsewhere".
That will make "living with that" difficult/impossible with those remaining...

I understand your point. And why it costs so much, really. I just think it will hurt the community in the end.

BrandonLee 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 16:56:46
#98 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:
It is pricey and of course I'd like the X1000 for $500 instead. I kind of expected somewhere between €1500-€2000 for a full system with OS4 and VAT and it looks closer to €2000. But I have been both mentally and financially prepared for this for at least a year now.

The reports are sugesting a final price way higher than €2000.

I was prepared to make a (big!) effort, but not like that. Mortgaging my future for a computer is not a smart thing to do, especially one with so many uncertainties attached.
Other than the price, my fear is that the support will be not be there, somethign along the lines of the A1. Few with the knowledge, no spare parts, etc, etc.
And I could be left with a faulty machine down the line without a solution for it.
I know this is pessimistic, but not that difficult to happen.

The obvious comparison is this: if my A1 was a standard PC, I would have millions of options in terms of upgrading/fixing close by. I wouldn't have to throw the motherboard away. I know this is an old motherboard, but it was still usable, save for a tiny bit of soldering... ;(((((((

cheesegrate 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 17:02:51
#99 ]

@Ancalimon

Quote:
Will we get into trouble if someone with X1000 hacks some Us military device?

Of course not. Whatever gave you such a bizzare idea? They will be very happy to notice the amigaone and maybe will copy its xmos tech.

Last edited by cheesegrate on 02-Nov-2011 at 05:03 PM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

amigang 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 17:44:03
#100 ]
Elite Member

AmigaKit must have very heavy jet lag, still no email or pre-order page/details

But I waited this long, guess I can wait a little longer

Last edited by amigang on 02-Nov-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 02-Nov-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle