Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
33 crawler(s) on-line.
 35 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 hrs 57 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 hrs 50 mins ago
 BigD:  7 hrs 55 mins ago
 zipper:  10 hrs 12 mins ago
 Frank:  10 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheMaskedMuchacho 
Re: It's only a matter of 3 days
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 1:27:11
#121 ]

Danwood makes the most sense and has made the most valid points in a long time concerning CommodoreUSA and Commodore Linux. well done sir. I have nothing to add at this time except that I like the look of their skin, it's very commodore styled but doesn't look the most polished effort from that video so i shall reserve final judgement for when I get to try it out myself (if they allow it and don't require me to download gigabytes of apps I don't want as part of the package)

It's still just a skin on gnome though.

Profile     Report this post  
CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 1:46:28
#122 ]
Cult Member

@TheMaskedMuchacho

I am pretty sure they have said it's gonna be a big package.

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/6-commodore-os-software-development/1254-commodore-os-questions?limit=15&start=240&lang=en#9433

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

DiscreetFX 
Re: It's only 1 more day
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 1:46:32
#123 ]
Elite Member

I'm dying to find out!

:)

vox 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 3:42:29
#124 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Today is the veteran day (in US). There is going to be a big Linux compilation, but will it be that worthy to celebrate the company whose only product is the case, while a lot of Commodore and Amiga history is abused to increase the sales?

Using new LW might have Amiga feeling, but new Alien Breed is not a good example. Yes, all motherboards are now PCI-E and even PPC boards can have AMD southbridge. Its not only argument whether the board is a "PC clone" but dioes it differ in hardware or software. So far, CUSA products used to be "nothing special" with extra price.
COS may make a difference, or not. Its a fair try to.

Most of Amiga users do use WinUAE under emulation box anyway, but then they are ending with OS 3.9 (or AROS 68k these days). Any AROS, MOS and OS4 are the way forward from that point, no matter what hardware they could be run on. And it will remain so with CUSA emulation box. It simply ignores everything that happened after 1994 or so.

P.S.
Having long discussion on their "products" is exactly what CUSA wants you to.
There are relativly few users at their forums and here "having pro and contra" gives it more buzz.
Also, remember: They haven`t support AROS in any way (in fact bashed it publicly), they will not make A500/A1200 replica cases even they have promised to and they hold no heritage to Commodore and Amiga other then licencing name for such use.
So, iCoin is equaly "amigan"

Last edited by vox on 11-Nov-2011 at 03:45 AM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 4:03:29
#125 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Vox don't get me wrong, I am by no means supporting them. I was just refering to the size of the package that they will be putting up for download. Though the post i linked has been edited as it did mention a reason why they weren't going to do a smaller download version. Essentially because they are going to sell the boxed version.

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 4:26:16
#126 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:
@Franko

A CUSA thread going off-topic.... Never seen such a thing ;)

That's because every CUSA thread is an "Off-Topic" subject to start with...

Being controversial here and actually putting the thing back on-topic (slightly) did they ever release any actual sales figures for the C64x, I mean just how many of the tens of thousands in that warehouse picture they showed did they actually sell !!!

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 4:26:42
#127 ]

@CritAnime

People who purchase Commodore USA machines in future won't have to worry about downloading as they'll have it pre-installed and on disc. This distro is really intended for OUR customers. These ISOs are the restore discs for THEIR systems. As it is free software we are providing it for download, but that was never the focus or the raison d'etre for the distro. We focused on making sure that it runs well on our machines, which are known entities. It may work on other machines, and we've done nothing to curtail that, but if it doesn't we've got a fix for you, the C64x.

Also, this is a sandbox for our growing community of fans. They can help mould and shape it to become whatever they want. This is a base to work from. A first step. A lot of people are lamenting, that we don't need another Linux distro. I say, why not? We can shape it to do what we want without constraint. It's our own spin on linux and a really nice fully functional experience in its own right for our machines....

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 11-Nov-2011 at 04:31 AM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 4:47:34
#128 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

It's ok Leo I don't think I will be buying one of those C64x thingies any time soon. Also I doubt I will be taking the time to download the distro as I already have a great set of operating systems in the form of Ubuntu, Windows, OSX and Workbench 2.1.

I find it interesting how your trying to build this up to some kind of "real" Commodore experience. When it's no different to every other Linux OS out there. Certainly makes an interesting read.

elatour 
Re: It's only 1 more day
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 5:57:53
#129 ]
Cult Member

@digitex

Quite a slick presentation. Looks quite promissing. Could be a nice x86 reference platform to run hosted or native AROS on in addition to CommodoreOS. Would be cool to eventually see an AmigaOS 3.x and/or AROS API bridge so that AmigaOS 3.x and AROS apps could be cross-complied for this Linux-based platform. It's nice to dream.

Last edited by elatour on 11-Nov-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:05:08
#130 ]

@djrikki

Quote:

djrikki wrote:
Heard it all before... its boring.. C=USA has 0.0000000001% to do with AmigaOS

That's good for CUSA

Google says:

175.000.000 Hits for Amiga

1.560.000 Hits for AmigaOS

375.000 Hits for AmigaOS4

It seems CUSA has the right licence

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:11:27
#131 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:

That's good for CUSA

Google says:

175.000.000 Hits for Amiga

1.560.000 Hits for AmigaOS

375.000 Hits for AmigaOS4

Are you saying that everyone who has googled the terms "Amiga" or "AmigaOS" have been doing so to look for CUSA products !!!

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:27:05
#132 ]

@CritAnime

Quote:
I find it interesting how your trying to build this up to some kind of "real" Commodore experience. When it's no different to every other Linux OS out there. Certainly makes an interesting read.

It is the new 21st century Commodore experience. Like it or loathe it, we are the new Commodore now. Being like every other Linux OS is not a bad thing, and it's a great starting point. It's like, "hey, you can run any OS you want on our machines, but here's a choice we give you out of the box." It could have been Ubuntu, Mint, Debian or whatever, but here is our *official* spin on it, that can evolve with the aid of the growing community around our products. Nothing wrong with that I think. A COS linux distro is a fun thing to have and it's not like anyone else was going to create a Commodore OS of any kind any time soon. It's not trying to be Amiga OS (although of course it takes inspiration from it) and that's not a bad thing either. We don't really have any expectations about uptake through downloads, which is really secondary to our goals. We're not saying anything zany, like this is a better experience than Mac OS X (at least I'm not). It is what it is. Our own distro.

Seblam 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:28:57
#133 ]

@Vox

Funny you said AlienBreed is bad example. It was not intended to be an example, just what give me more amiga spirit.
Problem is that when you are a die hard fan, you are also close minded cause it what make you hard fan.
You can remark that I only said "in my opinion" "for me" in all my posts
Die hard fans like Vox generally presents their opinion as facts, amiga is this or is not that, cusa is this and not that, very funny.
And then you have the PS, dont speak too much about CUSA or they will rule the world.
Yes, die hard fans are also paranoiac and lives in a conspirationist world.

Last edited by Seblam on 11-Nov-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:47:11
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:

Seblam wrote:
@Vox

Funny you said AlienBreed is bad example. It was not intended to be an example, just what give me more amiga spirit.
Problem is that when you are a die hard fan, you are also close minded cause it what make you hard fan.
You can remark that I only said "in my opinion" "for me" in all my posts
Die hard fans like Vox generally presents their opinion as facts, amiga is this or is not that, cusa is this and not that, very funny.
And then you have the PS, dont speak too much about CUSA or they will rule the world.
Yes, die hard fans are also paranoiac and lives in a conspirationist world.

You've got a strange take on what you think is right and wrong...

You say to Vox that "if you are a die hard fan, you are also close minded" and YOU express this as a fact and go on to say die hard fans are "paranoiac" & live in a "conspirationist world." as if this is fact ...

If anything I could be classed as a "die hard fan" of the Amiga but I assure you I am not close minded nor do I believe in "conspiracy theories"...

If someone comes along with new Amiga hardware like the A-EON X1000 or the NatAmi my mind is not closed to them in fact just the opposite, I want to buy them...

Point is your complaining that in your opinion what Vox or what "die hard fans" are saying is being expressed as fact, when you are doing the exact same thing with what you consider are your "opinions" but are in fact expressing those "opinions" as facts about what others say...

Bit Ironic don't you think...

Seblam 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:53:55
#135 ]

@Franko

You´re right Franko, I think I was offense that someone said I use a bad example as on my side I just express my opinion and dont anybody is right or wrong.
Maybe I am starting to go myself in die hard side, hard to resist when you are passionate
By the way I want also to buy a X1000 as well as CUSA machine...

Franko 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:08:17
#136 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Sorry mate but I just never get why people take anything seriously on these type of forums as a statement of fact. Everything I read on a forum I just take it as that persons opinion and have the options to agree, disagree or be just indifferent with it...

If someone, even if it was a company or someone I know that says something then until I can confirm for myself what they have said was a fact, to me it remains nothing more than an opinion till that point where it can be proven as fact and I would expect people to regard anything I say likewise as just being an opinion...

Nothing wrong in being a "die hard" but it's always best to remember something someone say remains as just an opinion until it can be backed up as fact...

vox 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:41:03
#137 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:
Funny you said AlienBreed is bad example. It was not intended to be an example, just what give me more amiga spirit. Problem is that when you are a die hard fan, you are also close minded cause it what make you hard fan. You can remark that I only said "in my opinion" "for me" in all my posts Die hard fans like Vox generally presents their opinion as facts, amiga is this or is not that, cusa is this and not that, very funny. And then you have the PS, dont speak too much about CUSA or they will rule the world. Yes, die hard fans are also paranoiac and lives in a conspirationist world.

No these are not facts, these are opinions (about AB). But, new AB was really dissapointing. Prime example that name doesn`t mean everything. As many time happens with new Worms too. Or as I have tried Dopus for PC, and it misses many features of last Magellan for Amiga, more likely to be improved 4.x, or last Wolfstein didn`t make it up to Return to Wolftstein 3D standards. What quite back ups my opinion was opinion of many reviewers and gamers that do feel the same, which turned to fact that such "quick" continuations didn`t get enough sales, and often have lead even to discontinuation of great series.

Do talk about CUSA, but in their designated customer forum.

But, that "Commodore" USA is neither real Commodore or Amiga, that is fact.

And yes, when people "blame" PPC Amigas to be standard hardware offer (which is not so true just because PPC desktop or any boards are rare) they should think that CUSA offer is even more of what is easy to get at local PC dealer. That why there was a need for COS, which again is modded existing Linux.

And now, lets see some COS reviews (independent ones?)

Last edited by vox on 11-Nov-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:44:29
#138 ]

@vox
Quote:
But, that "Commodore" USA is neither real Commodore or Amiga, that is fact.

Actually, maybe they are more like the real Commodore than we think... Because the "old" Commodore wasn't the best Amiga mother after all, regarding all those bad decisions in the past that ultimately led to its fall

Last edited by Daytona675x on 11-Nov-2011 at 08:52 AM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:45:22
#139 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Well thank you for been civil with me regarding my views. To be honest its refreshing to see this approach from representatives of Commodore USA given the rather shaky past with various aspect of the community.

So I will give you the same civil response and hope that we can continue to engage as such :)

If I am honest I was once excited about your products. I remember first reading about the Commodore Phoenix, later to become the now defunct Vic Pro, and thought "wow someone is actually going to do something right with the brand.

However it's be disheartening, to the point that I went through several stages of what could be classed as denial, over the rapidly progressing shape and form of Commodore USA. To the point that I look at the venture the same way that I looked at Commodore Gaming and the Commodore licensee that tried to pawn off the Gravel thing on the world. Especially when Commodore USA keep proclaiming themselves as the real Commodore after we have been through this several times.

If I am honest I am the kind of person these things would appeal to. I have a well paying job, I have disposable cash left after paying bills and such, I am prone to impulse purchases and I both love and get nostalgic at Commodore computers and the Amiga computers. Yet these things, even the Vic range, seem to be priced well out of the spectrum for most people, including those that are fanatical about the Amiga.

As for the OS. Well I beg to differ on this.

I do feel that if you look round the various aspects of the Commodore and Amiga communities that you will see plenty of projects that are all trying to bring their own visions of both the Commodore and Amiga OS. And I find the fact that you have essentially waltzed in and said your OS is the real experience to be a little distasteful and disrespectful to the hard work put in by the individuals of the other projects. Especially as some of the Vision package is stuff that can be already be readily downloaded for other distro's quite easily.

I respect that you are trying to make your products stand out but the manner in which Commodore USA conduct themselves at times can be seen as a little caustic. To which I will admit that my own comments can be just as such at times.

vox 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:49:32
#140 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Name one, yes. Including Spanish lesbian clubs

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle