Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 52 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 hrs 5 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 58 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 58 mins ago
 BigD:  7 hrs 3 mins ago
 zipper:  9 hrs 20 mins ago
 Frank:  9 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: It's only 1 more day
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:07:03
#281 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
Is this the best way you can spend a friday evening and the following saturday?

Exiting discussion for good spirit of tolerance and no insults.

Profile     Report this post  
PG 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:07:53
#282 ]

I just have to get the following off my chest..

Hyperion have worked very hard on improving the AmigaOS for many years now. They are *real* developers that create something of their own. I can't imagine how many hours, days, weeks and months of programming these guys have behind them. We should applaud them for the job they've done. They even had a horrible court-case with Amiga Inc. to struggle with while working!

Not only Hyperion, but others in the Amiga community as well, have contributed to the best of their efforts to the development of AmigaOS and the future of our beloved platform. Beta-testers, people donating to bounties at Amigabounty.net (myself included), guys like Spot porting tons of productions, bloggers, those organizing events like AmiWest, webmasters, programmers, Amiga Future and so on.. the list is long and I guess I don't need to list everyone here. ;) You get the point.

There's so much history with AmigaOS.. read up on it and you will see.. we've been through everything from desperation to depression to joy and relief.

Then comes Commodore USA.. they release a Linux-distro with a special theme and feel. That's it. Is it worth all the fuzz? In my opinion it's not. It is simply not comparable to the massive task it was to get AmigaOS up to the level it is now.

Commodore USA also released information on their new line of "Amiga" computers a while back. Amiga? A PC in a case with an Amiga-sticker running Linux. I can't help it, but I feel like they are trying to cash in on the name. Compare it with the work ACube Systems did with their SAM-series for example.. engineering hardware on their own! Or how Eyetech went all in on the AmigaOne-series.

We've also got Mr. Trevor Dickinson sacrificing a huge amount of money on making the dream of new Amiga come true. This hardware was developed from the bottom and up by Varisys in co-operation with A-EON. A massive job, a huge task, and costly..

Now.. how does that compare with slapping a sticker on case with a generic X86 board?

I'm sorry if this sounds rough, but these are my feelings and opinions on the subject. :) I don't hate anyone, but I can't help feeling a bit offended by some forum participants on various forums, as they make it out that all the hard work that havs been done in the past by the community is nothing like what has achieved by CUSA..

Also, I must add that we also should thank companies like AmigaKit, Vesalia and Alinea for their continued support for the Amiga. Keep it up guys!

That was my five cents.. :)

Last edited by PG on 12-Nov-2011 at 09:10 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:25:37
#283 ]
Team Member

@vox

Quote:
Exiting discussion for good spirit of tolerance and no insults.

I can read many insults in this thread.

Franko 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:26:05
#284 ]
Elite Member

@PG

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments...

One of the reasons we should be thankful for sites like this one is the fact that whether you're a CUSA supporter or not you can at least on this site have your say one way or the other...

Unlike CUSA's own CommodoreAmiga.org forum, their page on FaceBook or their free advertising channel on YouTube, where you are either not allowed a say at all or anything you say that doesn't praise them is deleted or gets you banned...

CUSA supporters should be grateful they are allowed to freely express their views here and should have no reason for complaint if the views expressed by others doesn't comply with their viewpoints and perhaps they should encourage this company that they support to return the courtesy...

zerohero 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:32:10
#285 ]
Team Member

@thread

I've restricted a few of you for 3 days. Use them to calm down, take a deep breath, then come back and think before you post.

If you feel I'm being unfair, PM another moderator.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

CritAnime 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:35:35
#286 ]
Cult Member

Removed this post as mods have stepped in to calm it down.

Last edited by CritAnime on 12-Nov-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

zerohero 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 21:38:06
#287 ]
Team Member

@CritAnime

I do. I still hate locking threads and I am still (after all these years) amazed people, who I believe are grown-ups, behave this way. Truly amazed.

CritAnime 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 22:17:58
#288 ]
Cult Member

@zerohero

Don't get me wrong. I respect your decision. I hope I wasn't been abusive or offensive (though I suppose some of my comments could have been considered trolling). I will respectfully withdraw from this thread if you feel that I should. Though I will admit this has been the most entertainment I have had for a while on night shifts where I work.

Which was the tone of the message I deleted. I didn't mean to cause offense with it :)

Last edited by CritAnime on 12-Nov-2011 at 10:22 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 22:49:02
#289 ]

@thread

'commodore OS vision' now has a page at distrowatch. i'm downloading it now; after the second trailer they posted, i'd quite like to see the GUI 'in the flesh.' i think it looks nice, and, frankly, putting together a nice distro isn't something you can do in an afternoon, even when building on debian or one of the more popular mega-distros already out there. leo put a lot of effort it into this, and it shows. i'll post screenshots later if anyone is interested.

-- eliyahu

CritAnime 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 22:56:42
#290 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

I am sure from a distro paoint of view it will be alright. After all it's linux and as such it's familiar and good territory for me. I just don't agree with certain aspects of it. Which I have made claer on this thread.

I know you have tried to stay impartial during all this. So I would welcome your views.

metalmac 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 23:35:48
#291 ]

@CritAnime

I have just installed it om my laptop and I think this is a very nice distro. It gives me c64/workbench 1.3 vibes. I wil definetly run this as my main system, grate work from Leo.

TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 23:41:25
#292 ]

@CritAnime

I have downloaded and installed it and...

... It's Linux Mint 10 with a custom theme installed plus a few minor changes. The overall look seems to be a nod to the blue of the commodore 64 Basic mixed with a bit of Amiga OS 1.x but the window decorations and font make it feel cluttered, the icons don't seem to have been changed. when you boot the DVD you get the usual amateur looking commodoreUSA style transparent rendered chicken head logo as seen on their web site behind a basic text menu, you chose install and it reminds you what it really is by displaying the usual mint startup screen.

It is what i feared, Linux Mint with a theme that pays little attention to functionality and tries to look special with an over reliance on Compiz effects, i think trying to use it for too long would be painful.

I gave it a chance, I wanted it to be something more to prove commodoreUSA can do something well but I am disappointed, they continue to appear to me like a market stall computer reseller with delusions of grandeur.

It's a nice effort and I can appreciate the work put into it but I have seen more customised version of ubuntu with custom kernels and a lot of changes put together by one guy in his spare time. a company that makes the claims that commodoreUSA does about bringing the commodore and amiga names back should be able to do much better and it must get a lot better than this if they are to be taken seriously.

CritAnime 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 23:51:32
#293 ]
Cult Member

Hmm....

I think I will pass on this.

@metalmac
I respect your decission to use it. If you feel that is the distro for you then I hope you enjoy using it. Maybe it will help you jump into the greater world of Linux and eventually you will feel upto dabbling with some of the others like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Open Suse :)

@TheMaskedMuchacho
this is pretty much what I thought it to be. Once you strip the compiz and Emerald enhancements out of it then you are left with a bog standard Linux distro. What does it say when you do a verbose startup?

I would still love to hear what eliyahu makes of it.

TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 1:45:30
#294 ]

I have just been made aware that SinclairUK have released the latest version of their operating system, SinclairOS Astigmatism 2.0. It's a full iso that's ready to run on any x86 computer and fully customised with sinclair themed wallpaper to suit the modern sinclair user. There is no need to install it as it can be run as a live cd or even in virtualbox.

You can download it form their website right now and it's only 500mb although they also chose to use bittorrent so speed will depend on seeders.

SinclairOS download page

CritAnime 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 1:59:43
#295 ]
Cult Member

@TheMaskedMuchacho

It's a linux distribution that doesn't lose focus......

eXec 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 2:31:33
#296 ]
Cult Member

@thread

C=OS installed! I must say that it is one of the best Linux distros i
ever saw. So fast and responsive. Incredible. Seems that a huge
amount of time and patience was built into this one.

Congratulations Leo! Great job!

QuikSanz 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 3:01:44
#297 ]

@eXec

And still, not one screenshot. I wanna see it, thought it may be cool but oh well.

Chris

damocles 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 5:42:24
#298 ]

@QuikSanz

Screengrabs

TheDaddy 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 9:41:32
#299 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

It's incredible, how blind fanboysm can make people look silly.

Honestly it's Linux mint! Can't you see it?

It's not COS, COS doesn't exist. It's Linux mint with a few adjustments!

What if the exact same distro had:

1) Atari logos
2) Atari screenshots

Would that be AtariOS Vision?

And how can it be "fast and responsive"? Is it "fast and responsive" compared to what? Another Linux distro? Compared to SinclairOS Astigmatism? Compared to a real C64?

Are you people for real?

Stop trying to convince us it makes you look really foolish.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 13-Nov-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Spirantho 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 9:47:50
#300 ]

Am I the only person who thinks that that much blue on a screen is going to hurt your eyes after a couple of hours' coding?

What does genuinely annoy me though is that some of the people who downloaded are saying it's the best distro ever because it's so fast and responsive... i.e. giving credit to C=USA for someone else's hard work. I'm sure Leo would be the first to admit that the credit should go to the MiNT guys, not him.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle