Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 graff:  17 mins ago
 kolla:  20 mins ago
 clint:  35 mins ago
 zipper:  40 mins ago
 Vidar:  44 mins ago
 deadwood:  44 mins ago
 thinkchip:  52 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Site Announcements
      /  Some news on the site
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
redrumloa 
Re: Some news on the site
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 15:23:47
#21 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

Giving them their own forum as opposed to getting shoved into 3 other forums should be considered a step forward, not backward. Sorry you continue to see things in the most unfavorable light.

I can't agree, a vocal minority won in getting CUSA discussions soft banned.

For discussion about Amiga Inc. , CUSA and other products and companies using Amiga brand licensed from Amiga Inc. NOTE: Topics posted here will not be listed on the homepage

Not my site, not my decision, but I think it is a mistake and a throwback to a time when AROS/MOS/Amithlon/UAE etc discussions were soft banned.

Bummer.

$225 total spent!

Profile     Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 15:28:03
#22 ]
AROS Core Developer

edit: nevermind

Last edited by terminills on 13-Dec-2011 at 03:29 PM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

number6 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 15:38:52
#23 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

Quote:
Not my site, not my decision, but I think it is a mistake and a throwback to a time when AROS/MOS/Amithlon/UAE etc discussions were soft banned.

Historically:
Alt Amiga OS forum started out as a controversial move with a solitary "catch all" forum off the front page.
Then Alt Amiga OS forum was moved to the front page.
Now it is being broken down to give MorphOS and AROS their own dedicated forums, which I consider more respectful than throwing them together...and you see this as a step backward. Go figure.

redrumloa 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 15:52:42
#24 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@redrumloa
Historically:
Alt Amiga OS forum started out as a controversial move with a solitary "catch all" forum off the front page.
Then Alt Amiga OS forum was moved to the front page.
Now it is being broken down to give MorphOS and AROS their own dedicated forums, which I consider more respectful than throwing them together...and you see this as a step backward. Go figure.

And CUSA discussion is no longer on the front page. MOS/AROS users are no longer back of the bus, that is great. People interested in CUSA are the new scapegoat for all the problems in the Kommunity? You see this as a step forward? God bless.

$225 total spent!

eliyahu 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 16:00:27
#25 ]

@redrumloa

Quote:
And CUSA discussion is no longer on the front page. MOS/AROS users are no longer back of the bus, that is great. People interested in CUSA are the new scapegoat for all the problems in the Kommunity? You see this as a step forward? God bless.

i think the fundamental difference is that many here don't consider CUSA to be any part of the 'community' whatsoever. personally i appreciate that they are off the front page if for no other reason than to keep the peace. i'm not exactly their biggest fan, but when leo tried to bridge the divide i knew darn well what would happen.

i just don't think we're ready for any rapprochement, and until then, better to leave well alone. think of this as detente -- at least people can still discuss them around here without censorship as elsewhere. keeping things off the front page just keeps folks who are not genuinely interested away from polluting those threads. those that are know where to find them.

-- eliyahu

number6 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 16:01:02
#26 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

Did not think I would have to explain this further, as I thought the examples I gave were obvious.
You start somewhere, and you build from there, based on respect.
You seem to want immediately what MorphOS and AROS had to work towards for years. That's not exactly looking at things impartially, now is it?

From a more practical standpoint...would you rather have a front page that contains nothing but pointless arguments, or a dedicated forum where co-operative efforts might actually be discussed without flamefests?

Franko 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 16:04:56
#27 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@redrumloa

From a more practical standpoint...would you rather have a front page that contains nothing but pointless arguments, or a dedicated forum where co-operative efforts might actually be discussed without flamefests?

Are you being genuinely serious with that comment !!!

tomazkid 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 16:22:36
#28 ]
Team Member

@clebin

Quote:
Ok, how's about these? I should say that the AROS 'eye' logo isn't my artwork, I've just resized it, added a drop shadow and tweaked it a bit.

Looks good to me, have to ask the others for opinion too though

linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 16:44:16
#29 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@linnar

Quote:
Sad that you have removed CUSA-related from the front. They were actually very interesting for the visitors as "visits" received high numbers in a short time.

Giving them their own forum as opposed to getting shoved into 3 other forums should be considered a step forward, not backward. Sorry you continue to see things in the most unfavorable light.
btw-One of the forums they could use was "free for all" which was -always- a forum tagged to -not- be viewable from the front page, so this is not any different in that regard.

I wrote that it was sad that posts in the new category is not visible on the front page at the new posting.

linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 16:56:33
#30 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

Quote:

Franko wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

Sad that you have removed CUSA-related from the front. They were actually very interesting for the visitors as "visits" received high numbers in a short time.
Whatever is written on the CUSA, the truth is that most people are very interested to read about them.

You do what you want with your forum but I think this is a mistake!

I'm no fan of CUSA but this nonsense of moving them off the front page is really quite sad and pathetic in my opinion...

This way to the labour camps please, oh sure the condemned, erm... sorry workers are free to speak and you can speak to them, you just have to make your way past the guard dogs and machines guns if you want to hear what they have to say...

I think you misunderstood me, my friend. I think that every time a new posting has been made shall appear on the front page (entry page).

I am completely satisfied with the changes. CUSA is not part of this forum so it does not have its own category. But it is good that there is a category for the company's around.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 18:41:22
#31 ]
Elite Member

as cusa subject receives obviously enough interest in here anyway (not mine), it is rather rediculous to attempt to lock them down in a basement. sitting down on the gully with a grin acting as if there is nothing to worry about isnt going to solve it, i fear. but you can do whatever you like, its actually nothing of my special concern. i just do not like that method.

HenryCase 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 20:17:42
#32 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Quote:
number6 wrote:
Did not think I would have to explain this further, as I thought the examples I gave were obvious.
You seem to want immediately what MorphOS and AROS had to work towards for years. That's not exactly looking at things impartially, now is it?

I agree completely. It's a step forward.

For those that support CUSA, if you want CUSA threads to make it to the front page, then show that you can have constructive posts in the CUSA forum. If CUSA discussions start becoming worthy of the front page, then the current position is likely to be reviewed.

Another point to consider is, being off the front page is likely to mean you can have discussions without too much interference from disruptive parties, so there's more chance of positive debate around CUSA.

Last edited by HenryCase on 13-Dec-2011 at 08:19 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 21:53:20
#33 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
as cusa subject receives obviously enough interest in here anyway (not mine), it is rather rediculous to attempt to lock them down in a basement. sitting down on the gully with a grin acting as if there is nothing to worry about isnt going to solve it, i fear. but you can do whatever you like, its actually nothing of my special concern. i just do not like that method.

Summary: If you do not see it there is not.

linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 22:03:11
#34 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
@number6
Quote:
number6 wrote:

I agree completely. It's a step forward.

For those that support CUSA, if you want CUSA threads to make it to the front page, then show that you can have constructive posts in the CUSA forum. If CUSA discussions start becoming worthy of the front page, then the current position is likely to be reviewed.

Another point to consider is, being off the front page is likely to mean you can have discussions without too much interference from disruptive parties, so there's more chance of positive debate around CUSA.

Food for thought!

Have not thought of it that way. You have certain rights in your idea. But it's not just about discussing the CUSA try and calm and quiet. This is a trend within the Amiga community. I've been with for many years and seen many battles between different groups. Today, many of them inside the Amiga Community and enjoys the full respect.
The same is with CUSA. The difference from the others is that CUSA know very well that they never become full members of the Amiga community with the products they have right now. But they want a good collaboration and they really want to support the Amiga community. In the future, they will probably have products in its portfolio that can be counted as full Amiga Community but it is a later issue.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 22:04:44
#35 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

thats what i mean. btw, the last cusa initiated thread here although looking like self advertisement issue alright, was quitre constructive i think. not because cusa is likely ever seriously going to consider these requests, but because amiga fans facing the very question, what exactly would they expect amiga to become beyond its current hobby toy status.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 22:29:33
#36 ]
Elite Member

I have to agree with redrumloa and Franko. This is not a great way of solving the problem; in fact, it's not solved at all - the real problem is trolling, not CUSA's ham-fisted attempts at connecting with the community. The trolls will just pick a different subject and keep doing their thing. Most cultures have tried to solve similar problems to this, and we have terms such as "separate but equal" to remind us why this way of doing it seldom works as intended. Note that I'm not saying that putting a topic of discussion off the main page is on a similar scale of human suffering as my example, but it does illustrate what's wrong with the idea.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 22:36:18
#37 ]
Cult Member

os4 kids should be happy now.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 22:44:47
#38 ]
Elite Member

I'm not sure what will solve the CUSA posts all over AW.net problem but I can give advice on what solved it once and for all on Amiga.org.

99% of the problem went away when Franko was banned.

HenryCase 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 22:52:13
#39 ]
Cult Member

@CodeSmith
Who said it was problem solved? The problem, as you are pointing out, lies with those using the site, you don't fix personal behaviour by making a new subforum.

However, the CUSA subforum (or more accurately, the 'Amiga Inc. offshoot' subforum) provides a way to disperse some of the pointless arguing that's been occuring. The dust needs to settle to let this site improve, and separating out those threads which have been the most antagonistic recently should help this.

Oh and FWIW, I'm not in agreement with your assessment of 'trolls' on this site. Most of them have very clear agendas, but they stick to those agendas, they don't switch around. Whilst they delight in making trouble, they also believe in something, so moving the CUSA posts off the home page is very unlikely to cause any switching of alliegances.

polka. 
Posted on 13-Dec-2011 23:07:02
#40 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
99% of the problem went away when Franko was banned.

And with the "problem" finally solved, you are now trying to sell the site? Doesn't sound too convincing...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle