Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

-Sam-

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 -Sam-:  4 mins ago
 RobertB:  27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  38 mins ago
 OlafS25:  46 mins ago
 pixie:  47 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 1 min ago
 blmara:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  What development package do you use?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
clusteruk 
Re: What development package do you use?
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 17:11:19
#21 ]

I code Visual Studio C#.net for work with SQL backend.

I also program Android with Eclipse and iOS with XCode.

Sorry to say I do not code Amiga because I need a debugger, not enough time in the day to do it with printf commands. Fix that I am away.

HEH, 1000 posts, do I get a prize.

Last edited by clusteruk on 12-Jan-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
xeron 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 17:40:57
#22 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

I use Codebench on OS4.x.

On windows, I use EditPlus mostly.

I have extensive knowledge and have heavily used Eclipse and Code::Blocks. I have used Visual Studio, but aside from the slowness, I actually prefer Eclipse.

On linux, I use Eclipse, or NEdit.

g0blin 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 19:58:29
#23 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

It depends on what you have to do. If for "performing" you mean speed, than the choice is Assembly (extremely difficult nowadays since programs take care of complex task) or, much better, either C or C++ (C++ allows for Object Oriented Programming).

Otherwise you could use Java,. It's not as fast as C/C++, but allows better software portability on other platforms, especially for web-based applications.

Regards
g0blin

Cybersphere Page

TheDaddy 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 20:04:36
#24 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

So it really makes no sense to learn assembler.

I mean speed wise, so that a program can perform pretty decently even on low power machines.

I always had this idea of creating a program that would automatically convert a piece of software available on other platforms to the Amiga but I bet it can't be done...

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 20:22:15
#25 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

So it really makes no sense to learn assembler.

Only if you want to write drivers, or just want to know how all works on lowlevel

Quote:

I mean speed wise, so that a program can perform pretty decently even on low power machines.

Today every normal C compiler produce pretty good assembler code, and its really make no sense to worry about, until you not want to write drivers , or kernels or anything very low-level.

@thinkchip

On os4 i use notepad + shell for anything programming related

Last edited by kas1e on 12-Jan-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 12-Jan-2012 at 08:22 PM.

g0blin 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 20:25:16
#26 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

I wouldn't, unless you have time to waste. Assembly is kind of fun, but coding entire application is a nightmare.

As far as converting software, it can be done, if you just mean recompiling a specific software from one platform to another. The problem is not the code itself, but the libraries linked to it. Just pretend for a moment that a specific code written for Windows could work under Linux. If the code uses graphics (who doesn't!) than take in account that Windows needs DirectX, while Linux may use OpenGL (DirectX is proprietary!).

"Hollywood" for Amiga can cross-compile its code for fairly any platform.

If the question was: can I port directly something written in BASIC for Windows in something written in ARexx for Amiga, than the answer is no.

Ciao
Gianluca

Cybersphere Page

Jose 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 20:38:47
#27 ]
Cult Member

I use more than one compiler. SASC with an editor for coding and debugging because the debugger is the best I've seen on the Amiga. When done I do a few adjustments and recompile everything with VBCC with command line. VBCC produces very tiny and efficient code compared to the others.

José

TheDaddy 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 21:26:02
#28 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

Ciao Gianluca,

Quote:
As far as converting software, it can be done, if you just mean recompiling a specific software from one platform to another.

Yes, that is what I meant. So stuff like that exists already? For example, Quake 1, 2 and 3, when they got released what was the process to convert them (port) to AmigaOS4?

Quote:
The problem is not the code itself, but the libraries linked to it. Just pretend for a moment that a specific code written for Windows could work under Linux. If the code uses graphics (who doesn't!) than take in account that Windows needs DirectX, while Linux may use OpenGL (DirectX is proprietary!).

I see. Couldn't we have "something" that detects when a particular library is Windows only and it is converted to AmigaOS? On the fly? Or am I talking rubbish?

Zylesea 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 23:01:40
#29 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

I used MS Visual C++6.0 when I was doing windows programming a few years ago. I really liked Visual studio. IMHO the best program MS ever did.
To me it seems rather well thought and rightly done, but then again I am not a pro coder, but rather an amateur with no real clue .
When I was h a t i n g Windows again for some issues I started all my work again on Linux and used some emacs with c++. Oh, what a unconvenient PITA that was! And bloody Linux did the job eventually not better, so I switched back to Windows and Visual Studio. Still hated Windows, but hated linux even more (don't take all that too serious, but since those experiences I really appreciate some things of Windows).

Okay, I also used the matlab development environment windows and think it rather sucks - okay the Linux matlab development environment sucks (sucked?) even more.

On Amiga I started with StormC and liked it. Later I bought CubicIDE for MorphOS and never came far with that for C/C++, but use it quite much for Hollywood and a little web programming. Now Scribble/g++ is the new guy in town. At least I did a few C++ exercises with it. Still hope to write the killer app soon .

Zylesea 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 23:11:36
#30 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

Quote:

g0blin wrote:

Otherwise you could use Java,. It's not as fast as C/C++,

On some sites this blunt statement would initiate a huge, hefty and long lasting flame war that would make our MorphOS-OS4-AROS flamewars (including the old ann.lu ones) look like kindergarden exercises...
Anyway, I prefer C++ over Java any minute - since I cannot code Jave, but at least a little C++.

RuDeE 
Posted on 12-Jan-2012 23:16:12
#31 ]

Code::Blocks on Windows for C/C++, VS2010 when I have to write C#, CodeBench on AmigaOS...

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 3:04:53
#32 ]
Elite Member

@OP

I use CodeLite on Windows and Linux. On Mac I use XCode 4. On AROS I use PortablE and whatever text editors Icaros has, along with GCC 4.x.

I quit using C# when I saw that the latest version of WinForms had a bug in the group gadget, and looked like crap when compiled with Mono.

tygre 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 3:52:26
#33 ]

I just started to cross-compile m68k/AmigaOS/IXEmul from Windows 7 using Eclipse and Cygwin. I am actually putting up a Web page with information about setting up Cygwin, getting the Geek Gadgets, porting programs... Have a look here, all comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome!

Cheers!

Last edited by tygre on 13-Jan-2012 at 03:53 AM.

g0blin 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 9:41:06
#34 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

Yeah, I agree with you ... I just meant that, as far as I know (but I could be wrong), a P-language should be a little slower than compiled languages, being partially compiled and partially interpretated.

Of course, with modern CPU clock, you probably don't notice.
Anyway, I don't think (real) games are coded in Java (I mean console games eg Dead Space for PS3!).

It is just speculation, anyway. I cannot code Java either, just a little C++.

I do much better with ARexx and Hollywood.

Best regards
g0blin

Last edited by g0blin on 13-Jan-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Cybersphere Page

g0blin 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 10:00:41
#35 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:
Couldn't we have "something" that detects when a particular library is Windows only and it is converted to AmigaOS? On the fly? Or am I talking rubbish?

I'm not that good of a programmer to answer this question, but I'll try anyway. Although I have a diploma in computer science, my knowledge of complex programming (expecially about game developement) is at hobby level. I work in a totally different department, but I have some game coding experience using Linux on PS2.

Graphic libraries are a factor, but there are other things. Programming languages use sometimes different "dialects" (they have minor differences) that can make your compiler exit with an error code. The C++ I used under Windows, for example, had a few discrepancies compared with the standard ANSI. Those can be fixed, and they are not a very big deal. The real problem is: when you go in deep programming, you optimize your code in relation to the hardware. Sometimes this code is the backbone of the entire software (think, for example, about building a "class" that handle 2D sprites), therefore just linking to a different library won't work, since it is the "contructs" inside your software that you have to change entirely. Not to mention when you change hardware architecture itself (i386, PPC .....)

I hope I answered the question. Nice to talk to you anyway.

Ciao
Gianluca

Cybersphere Page

whiz 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 10:18:09
#36 ]

Hi, for Windows (my work, I'm a software engineer) I use VS2010 for every programming language (c++, c#, F# etc). I've also used sometime Intel parallel studio extensions (but just for some tech research)
For Amiga i just use notepad and shell.

On Amiga there is a real need for a good IDE and Debugger and I hope codebench will be completed really soon....
Back on the past days I was loving Blitz Basic and GWBasic on Amiga but we're talking of the nineties

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 10:21:41
#37 ]
Elite Member

@whiz

Amiblitz is not bad and still supported

Fab 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 10:26:08
#38 ]

I have used Golded6 for a loooong time (having project navigation was quite helpful), and Scribble (based on Scintilla editor, with many project management features built around it) tends to replace it now.

As for compilation, it's always from shell, using GCC&co.

Except for OWB and ffmpeg that i crosscompile on linux, and where i sometimes use emacs to edit stuff locally.

Last edited by Fab on 13-Jan-2012 at 10:27 AM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 10:30:33
#39 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

I see...you couldn't have something like Wine for example...

I remember emulating Windows and Macs on my Amiga back in the days...watching my friends' faces! That was fun!

itix 
Posted on 13-Jan-2012 10:42:33
#40 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

Quote:

It depends on what you have to do. If for "performing" you mean speed, than the choice is Assembly (extremely difficult nowadays since programs take care of complex task) or, much better, either C or C++ (C++ allows for Object Oriented Programming).

It is not really so. Writing "fast" routine in assembly can take so much time that C# coder already has optimized algorithm n times over making it faster. Optimizing for speed is not just about finding the shortest possible sequence of machine language instructions but improving and refactoring algorithms.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle