Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

CosmosUnivers

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  9 mins ago
 kriz:  9 mins ago
 Karlos:  22 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  35 mins ago
 Rassilon:  36 mins ago
 Rob:  48 mins ago
 Ratta:  56 mins ago
 RobertB:  59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
nexus 
Re: Woot! X1000 shipping out Monday
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 7:31:40
#61 ]

@Amiga_3k

Quote:

Amiga_3k wrote:
@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@Amiga_3k

... but that Mac you could literally make a hollwyood movie on it!

I'll have to take your word on it (and tend to believe it's true). My feeling, however, is that making a Hollywood-movie should be considered work and well... Amiga to me has always been about fun. That's why I am eagerly awaiting the Amiga netbook to take the kitchentable's place currently occupied by the Dell Precision workstation I get to use from the office.

Not true! A Hollywood Movie can not be done on a Mac, but it can be done on an Amiga! And a extremely nice one on a X1000 Oh, but at least the poor Mac can at least show the Hollywood Movie done on the Amiga

Profile     Report this post  
LoneHaranguer 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 7:35:52
#62 ]

I haven't got my final email yet. Still waiting ...

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 8:54:19
#63 ]
Elite Member

Can't believe I am reading this...

You can't compare an AmigaOne X1000 or even a SAM to anything else:

1) Anything else doesn't run OS4

2) Those Macs things are well overpriced

3) Want to compare? Then they are extremely overpriced compared to Windows based systems

4) They are not that great, they might look good but they are not that fast, believe me I have got three of them

5) If I had to spend £3000 I wouldn't spend it on a Mac but a PC why? Because bang for buck I would get a much more powerful system, much, much faster

6) Economy of scale, comparing a product produced in batches of 50 maybe 100 pieces against thousands and thousands?

So there, if I had £2000 I'd definitely buy the X1000 as long as it doubles the speed and responsiveness of OS4 at least.

Edit: spilling

Last edited by TheDaddy on 28-Jan-2012 at 10:12 AM.

itix 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 9:24:34
#64 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

In my opinion A-eon should ask 50% more than what is current price of X1000.

hotrod 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 9:44:10
#65 ]
Elite Member

You get a faster computer when you buy a Mac or a PC and it's cheaper, right? Oh yes, that is so true! So why use an Amiga? Well, what it comes down to is that with Windows it does get slower, and slower, and slower over time. How to fix it? Edit the registry or reinstall. In a nutshell that is what you have to do. Also you got threats from spyware, viruses and the likes all the time. But what's most anoying is the issue with Windows being so damn slow all the time. There are other issues as well but once you've gotten used to your brand new PC and it begins to feal slow you will miss AOS. Even after a reinstall of Windows it will happen. Talking about me offcourse but I'm sure that I'm not alone.

So lets check out MacOS X! It looks shiney, got some things in common with AOS, not very much but the menues are on the top on the screen. Nice icons, looks slick and everything and there are nice programs available, no doubt. Is it fast? NO! It isn't faster than Windows and with time it gets slower as well! You learn to use software to keep it quick more or less similar to Windows and... well... not as bad as Windows but it isn't fun to notice how your computer gets slower and slower. Great fun to see the mousepointer turn into a colorwheel all the time... NOT!

So then you check out Linux. I run Kubuntu because it runs a bit more stable than Ubuntu and also I just like the desktop environment better. A little bit Windows and a little bit MacOS X in there. Looks pretty good too. First thing I notice is that it remembers the size of the windows but not where I put it on the desktop. It always starts to the left on the screen... ok that's anoying but hey... it's not the end of the world, I can live with that. So let's check out a movie! Screen-tearing? Ok that doesn't happen on any of the other OSs, let's read up on it. Ok, found the solution and now it works on my PC that runs rings around my old and tired A1 but it slows down some times! WTF?! This I haven't found a solution to yet but it works fine sometimes and sometimes not.

Ok lets watch a movie on the TV. First of all you got to reboot the computer if you want to extend your desktop. That's really anoying so one point for Windows there. After a reboot you can't move the Window across to the TV because you choosed the wrong setting! What's the point of having a setting where you got an extended desktop but can't move the Window across?!!! And why on earth have these reboots?!!!!! Sure it's old and way more advanced than my brain can ever understand but I can do something a lot more fun with my time than rebooting my computer all the time!

Then when I finally got all that sorted... NO SOUND!!!!!! Yeah, I can watch the movie but the sound won't be played on the TV, only through my headphones, and no it doesn't matter if I change the settings through the GUI for Kmix, it just doesn't work! It works through the settings if I try to play a sound there but not from any software what so ever! In VLC I can change the settings for that specific program and it will work but not for something else!

Reading up on this issue, where there are tons of by the way on the net, you can by spending hours and hours on this issue make it work but holy crap! Is this having fun?!

So then you just tell those OSs to go f*ck themselves and start up AOS and god what relief. If you get an issue in AOS it is just so easy to handle compared to the other OSs. It might not be perfect, not have all the software that you might want and not be expensive but man it works! It is fun! And fast!

When you realise this you know that the Amiga is worth to spend your money on. That is why I sit here typing this in AOS 4.1 upd 4 on my old A1. Sure Windows is faster and it works pretty well when I shall watch some movie on my TV, check out youtube or reviews that won't play at all on my Amiga but it isn't as much fun, simple as that.

Well... that's why I'm still an Amiga user, it is easier, faster and not with just booting times, it stays the same speed-wise which isn't true with other OSs. Linux perhaps but it got all these other issues making it a nightmare and it isn't as fast to begin with.

When I'm done fixing Linux I'm already borred to death and I don't enjoy it. The other OSs slows down and give me other issues. AOS wins in the end... still. I pay for the experience. I bet that others do the same. AOS is just too good to die IMO.

BillE 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 9:49:43
#66 ]

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@TheDaddy

A brilliant idea, it will make mine (which I am posing with now) even more valuable

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 10:14:37
#67 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

Have you got an AOneX1000? Have you owned SAMs? I'd like to know how much faster it feels compared to a SAM.

My SAM mini-itx 440ep is great but I'd like some extra grunt as I am running a stock one with the only advantage of a fast SSD (OCZ Agility 3).

TheDaddy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 10:24:49
#68 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

So true...

Yesterday I showed some friends something I used to do a long time ago on my OS3.9 Amiga...

I booted and then opened the system partition (AmigaOS, I used to name it Workbench in the old days) then I said: "Watch this..."

I copied everything in AmigaOS inside another folder on another partition called Fun. Then I copied it over to a DVD.

I told them: "the SAM boots from AmigaOS, it's the system disk/partition, but you have total control" I then formatted AmigaOS, the system asked if I was sure and I click Proceed.

After formatting I was still in Workbench, I could still do stuff so I said: "If we rebbot now we'll get an error as there are no files on AmigaOS partition so we can either do that and copy everything back or we'll do it now and save us from the bother"

I copied everything back (3 minutes?) and changed the old Trashcan icon to the new one in less than a second. Back to normal.

You should have seen their faces!

Why do all that? Because you can and it's fun!

Georg 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 10:34:01
#69 ]

@itix

Quote:

... for those who say price is okay and give that back to those who say it isn't.

ribdevil 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 10:58:57
#70 ]

@hotrod

You are right.

acefnq 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 11:02:17
#71 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod
-:) All so true.

ace

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 11:51:59
#72 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam- Quote:

Quote:
Classic emulation/CD32 booting enabled out of the box?

Apparently so. I will let you know.

As I'm the author of RunInUAE, please let me know if you have any problems. After Update 4, a few small problems have been reported with RunInUAE, so I am planning a new release... (You will be able to install over-the-top of an existing installation.)

P.S. CD32 compatibility is not great (maybe 50%), but I think that's mainly a problem with our old E-UAE.

Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Jan-2012 at 12:01 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 11:57:04
#73 ]
Elite Member

@realize Quote:
that Mac you could literally make a hollwyood movie on it!

I'm afraid not. Apple is moving away from the "Pro" market, as they don't make much money there. For example, they recently rewrote (from scratch) their movie editing software, and intentionally left out many features which are "must have" for "Pro" users (there was quite a lot of moaning at the time). For example, they have been taking a LONG time to update their "Pro" Apple Macs.

On the plus side, Apple do sell some very *user friendly* software, which allows the average user to do more stuff than they could manage on a similar Windows machine.

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 11:59:53
#74 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels Quote:
Hoky crap that's a lot of money.

Yup, which I geuss is why Trevor calls the A1-X1000 a "Premium" machine. Luckily the Sam460 is a lot cheaper, if you can't justify an A1-X1000

1Mouse 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 12:04:07
#75 ]

Great to hear the X1000 is shipping, however my monies is on the netbook.

I have limited finances, damn

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Deniil715 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 13:04:52
#76 ]
Elite Member

Have all you dudes already prepayed your systems and are only waiting for the final payment and shipping?!?

I haven't heard anything from AmigaKit since early december when they said I had to wait for the e-mail asking for prepayment

ddni 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 13:08:09
#77 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715

It would apppear that you have missed the boat. The available X1000's all sold out in 36 hours.

TearsOfMe 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 13:13:20
#78 ]

@Deniil715

Yeah, me to. Filled the order and get no reply :(
EMail them today to get clear if i was to late or
whatever is the status...

Sammy 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 13:47:33
#79 ]

@Deniil715

I too got an email from Amigakit like one month ago saying something like "next week we will email you with details on how to pay 25%..." and then nothing, no email to this day.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 28-Jan-2012 14:08:39
#80 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

Strange, as Mac osX has proved me that is the only system that don't wear out over time. MAc os x getting slower? lol. I have a Macbook Pro as main machine and i can tell you is as fresh as the first day.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle