Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  21 mins ago
 Tpod:  21 mins ago
 Rob:  30 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  37 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 K-L:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Wonder What could be in this box?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
linnar 
Re: Wonder What could be in this box?
Posted on 16-Mar-2012 12:22:31
#21 ]
Cult Member

@ vox
I'm not a fan of Cusa but I'm interested about what is to come and I am interested in more than a "Commodore" and "Amiga" that come back and fight among the other computer to work groups. I would like to see Commodore establishes the status of the old days. I would like to see "Amiga" is again the computer becomes a status that everyone wants. If they succeed, it will be spin-off effects to the hobby Amiga too.

What I'm worried about is that the Commodore OS Vision will not be enough "Amiga". However, I believe that the future of the Amiga is in the Linux kernel. Develop a completely new OS that can fight with Windows, Linux or McOS is probably an impossible task.
it is important for the Linux kernel used is that they develop a full-fledged distro which is similar to the old AmigaOS.

If one is to succeed with this is the Commodore with Barry Altman. I heard a close associate of talk about Barry. He is much more knowledgeable in a lot of different subjects than we might think. He is extremely driven and does not give up until he reached his goal. Such a person should all have respect for.

It does not help to talk nonsense about him or Commodore, he will succeed!

Now we wait for the new machines that will be presented within a day. Leo has just landed in the U.S. and need to rest for a while, then it begins!

Note that I'm not a fan of Cusa yet, but does what I want, I'm almost there and I will not be alone.

Last edited by linnar on 16-Mar-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 16-Mar-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 17:05:18
#22 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

To be honest I tell you a few sentences about Barry. He said a few harsh things about Aros. How I found out in the meantime he asked a few amigans (MorphOS and AmigaOS fans) about their opinion regarding Aros, they said what they believe and he took it over instead looking at Aros on himself and talk to the Aros-Community. As far as I know he never talked to anyone in the community (till this offer to create a product in 6 months. What has happened with it?). I do not expect anything, he will offer a high-priced Ubuntu PC with preinstalled UAE as "Amiga", a few collector will buy it and that is it. I here (in Germany) have heard nothing about this company and last time (C64X) the reactions in the forums were devastating. You can buy cheap hardware at every corner (even in supermarkets) and I do not see anything special in their products.

vox 
Posted on 17-Mar-2012 20:17:22
#23 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
Develop a completely new OS that can fight with Windows, Linux or McOS is probably an impossible task. it is important for the Linux kernel used is that they develop a full-fledged distro which is similar to the old AmigaOS.

Every man has a choice to support in every way whatever he or she likes.

Major problem with CUSA is that it neither develops new hardware or new software (or their combination) so this kind of high expectations is so far equal to belief AmigaOS4 will go mainstream soon.

You can believe that there is more to it, and support them on that basis, just as we do support OS4 knowing it grows with each update. But I still miss to see that kind of progress from outside with CUSA.

Keep us informed if something better then promises occurs.

Darrin 
Posted on 20-Mar-2012 20:18:36
#24 ]
Team Member

That has to be the worst cut & paste graphics job I've ever seen.

Same old story. Faked photographs with carefully worded spin.

number6 
Posted on 21-Mar-2012 2:05:56
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

Quote:
Wonder what could be in this box?

Too easy...

An announcement.

number6 
Posted on 21-Mar-2012 3:25:08
#26 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Speaking of announcements...

PRESS RELEASE/ SITE IS NOW LIVE

CritAnime 
Posted on 21-Mar-2012 3:59:11
#27 ]
Cult Member

@number6

So we are looking at $3490 for the top of the range model and $2495 for the cheapo bog standard one. Oh and $349 for the case.

No thanks.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

vox 
Posted on 21-Mar-2012 19:11:28
#28 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Nameless summary from new comments

Quote:
Nameless Re: Commodore Amiga Mini Pre Order Has Begun Posted on 21-Mar-2012 18:34:09 [ #63 ] Member Joined: 10-Nov-2008 Posts: 45 From: Unknown

I find the whole CUSA situation interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. It's interesting in the way one looks at a business plan that has a lot of flaws... I sometimes visit their site, occasionally offer opinions and generally try to be objective. I tried out COS, with a somewhat open mind. I have nothing against Linux, but their version of it is made for someone with ADD. It's like they threw the kitchen sink in, with every possible graphical effect (and I should add basically useless effects), to provide a 'wow' factor. And to those new to Linux, perhaps it will wow them. For 5 minutes. Then you quickly reach for the button to turn off all of the annoying effects on the screen. Then you uninstall and do a fresh re-install of Mint or Ubuntu. As for the new hardware, it's about what one would expect. Overpriced, using generic hardware... nothing special really. For a short run sort of production, i am guessing they will maximize profits this way, by having such a high markup. Not a terrible business plan, but I'm not sure how it's sustainable long term. I also think they are overestimating the number of people who are willing to pay $2500+ for an Amiga system, which is of course simply a regular PC + Linux. It may sound mean, but their customer base would have to primarily be those who used to own an Amiga, who remember it fondly, who have a lot of expendable cash -- and are extremely dumb/have no knowledge of current hardware. It's like their business plan is relying on people being stupid. For $2500 (for a mini), one could buy every model of Apple Mac mini available (3 in total, including the server), or a 27" iMac (with a $1000 screen), or a rather decked out Alienware, or about four regular i5 desktops. And that's overlooking the fact that Ivy Bridges are coming out very soon, making the Mac Mini outdated before it's even released. It's a shame really. I don't have a problem with a new Commodore releasing Intel machines. To me, they'd need some link to an actual Amiga to call a machine an Amiga though, even if a tenuous connection (Amiga desktop/GUI w/ OS3 compatibility + Linux kernel would do it for me). Or they should just go full-blown retro, forget PCs, go with custom cases, FPGA systems, etc. Instead they are going in-between, trying to be unique, but in reality, they aren't.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle