Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 51 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  46 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
Overflow 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 8:54:49
#101 ]

Opi made some good comments that makes sense tbh.

The reason why I turned my attention to Amiga again now this late is probarly
cause I owned a c64, A500 and A1200.
I have fond memories from the late 80s until mid 90s until I got distracted
by life etc. Ex Amigians easily get struck by nostalgica and are prone to
use some money since they are often "settled" in life with a more healthy bankaccount that in the early 90s
Now Ive gotten accustomed to certain standards and initially found the old
A1200 a bit backward.

BUT as opi and others have alluded to; treat it as a hobby and enjoy it, instead of
getting too worked up over the flaws.

Good post opi!

Last edited by Overflow on 15-Jun-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Toaks 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 9:52:25
#102 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
@Slayer

So, anyone who can't pay more than $2000 on such computer have to look in the mirror?. Are you serious?. How you dare to say it's cheap?.

it all depends what you spend the rest of your cash on IMO.

Since 2007 i have bought 2 TV's that cost more than 2000 USD dollars, so thats 4000 right there...

in 2011 i spent more than 2000 USD dollars on repairing one of my cars , the other one set me back even more.

in 2011 i bought an Iphone 4, it costed me more than 1.000 USD!, a friggin phone!.

seriously, 2000 USD is not all that, atleast for me when i look at all the crap i spent money on the last few years..

It all boils down to one thing, if you can save up money for it then its worth it, but its only worth it if youre an AmigaOS user who are passionate enough to actually put time and love into the machine and use.

I bought my XE G4 in 2003, i still use it as my main machine, it was an investment back then (1500+ usd) and it was worth it, my neighbour is a pc user and he have bought 5 machines in the very same time and he always buy middle priced machines (800-1200 usd).

Ain't got the money for it? , thats life, no X1k for you then... maybe try to opt for a sam or something then instead.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 9:54:13
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Slayer

Your statement is really a little overdone. Here in Germany if you tell people that it is "elitist" to buy a new computer for 2000 EUR that has the power of average systems from 2005 (or 2007) they will think you are simply crazy (if they have the money or not).

So for the majority of people it is a rational decision. I communicated with a couple of developers in the last months who used AOS on PPC and left (after their hardware died) because they were disappointed because of the strategy (and they propably have enough money even to buy X1000). You have cheaper (and partly better) options even in the amiga-market (I do not have to name them ). In my view X1000 is a special system for a special group of computer enthusiasts of AOS-fans with the money and the will to spend it for it. Nothing else. Not for the mass market and not a rational choice.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 10:03:12
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Toaks

Noone should need defend why he spends money for a hobby. But "cheap" is no of the OS4 options.

amigang 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 11:28:47
#105 ]
Elite Member

Firstly I just like to say I'm glad I bought an X1000 and really appreciate the work and effort that went into making this project a reality. However I do agree with some that it was a little odd why a special site was set up for X1000 ordering, I expected to be just another product on Amigakit web site (like many I'm guessing) with maybe a pre-order button that would simple change to Sold out when all pre-order slots where filled. Another odd one was the £1699 price but without OS4, I guess Hyperion decides the price of the OS, but still found it a little odd not to be included in the end price, even if the unit was advertised at say £1799. And finally I think a bi-weekly status update would have been nice for people who paid their deposit because it was hard to know what was going on, how long we have to wait, if we would get the pressed CD, what was going on with linux option etc. But I understand they are a small business who (I'm guessing) never took on a project of this scale and I think on the whole they did a good job and at the end of the day they did get another happy customer.

The price is a difficult one, some say its not too much for a hobby, some say its massively over priced. For me personally its was a lot of money, put it this way at the Amiga show back in 2010 when I heard it would be at least £1500 or more I went home and had a good think if its something I wanted, could I make do with a Sam system or should I go with something else, Aros/MorphOs or should I just stand at the side lines like I have done for the last 10 years or just completely forget about it. Basically I thought this could my last chance to get Os4 machine and I wouldn't really be happy with anything less and if I dont get this one I might as well move on to something else, so I started saving and just waited to see what happened, £100 a month set a side (about as much as I could afford to do) and so I'm glad it took as long as it did to come about as I wouldn't of been able to afford it, yes I would of liked it cheaper, but I'm glad I was able to afford it and get what I wanted. So at the end of the day people them selves are going to have to decided weather or not it worth it.

Toaks 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 18:41:56
#106 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Toaks

Noone should need defend why he spends money for a hobby. But "cheap" is no of the OS4 options.

People defend their hobby everyday, family's go bankrupt and seperated because of hobbies.

if people want cheap stuff then go use an windows based machine with uae on it, a soul less setup which would never be enough for the Amiga users who buy the X1k.

thats the whole point!.

LqM 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 20:26:04
#107 ]

@Toaks

Quote:
if people want cheap stuff then go use an windows based machine with uae on it, a soul less setup which would never be enough for the Amiga users who buy the X1k.

Well, I do fully support what the wonderful people at Cloanto do. Amiga Forever is a very well put together package. Being an original Amiga user right from the very beginning I fully appreciate their efforts. I would hardly call it soulless (proper spelling by the way).

Even though I can't justify the expense of a X1000 for myself I say more power to the greater Amiga community that can. The fact that the original Amiga 1000 gave me butterflies in my stomach when I first saw one in action at 16 years old back in the day speaks volumes about the platform.

The one tragedy and shocker for me was how much the Amiga community has shrunk in the last 10 years. It held strong for 10 years after the big C< went under, but the last 10 have not been kind. I am glad to see there are still diehards and I find it very enjoyable to be part of this community even if it is just in spirit and not an owner. That was what I loved about the Amiga anyway, the community that surrounded the technology. You never knew such a passionate bunch in your life.

ddni 
Posted on 29-Jun-2012 20:19:52
#108 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

I, like many others have registered our interest.
Any chance of an update on the new batch?

KimmoK 
Posted on 30-Jun-2012 11:34:13
#109 ]
Elite Member

Price&hobby... again.

Performance wise, AOS4 HW is usualy feels faster than any x86 you can buy. Unless you manage install AROS on the x86, but then those others laugh if they know you can use only one core...

Anyway... a few years back I took a loan to buy me 11000eur hobbyHW but I'm not convinced to spend thousands for x1000. Untill multicore is taken in use, SAM is more appealing.

When 4.2 ships with full 3D and AMP/AMP or BMP, I will have hard time to keep me from buying multicore NG AMiga.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

pampers 
Posted on 30-Jun-2012 11:36:36
#110 ]

@KimmoK

I'd say you have still plenty of time for savings.

amigakit 
Posted on 30-Jun-2012 11:39:39
#111 ]
Amiga Kit

@ddni

We will be providing an update within the next 9 days.

Thank you to all to everyone who has contacted us!

The new RadeonHD driver will ship as standard with all the AmigaOne X1000 systems.

There will be some more developments for A-EON customers in the next 6 weeks also.

Last edited by amigakit on 30-Jun-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 1-Jul-2012 18:59:41
#112 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Hmm... should the speculation not have been started by now?

amigadave 
Posted on 1-Jul-2012 22:07:43
#113 ]

@amigakit

Can you at least confirm that there are still more 2nd batch X1000's pre-order spots available, or if the 2nd publicly available production run has been filled with emails from people expressing their interest in purchasing an X1000?

Just my curiosity, as I don't have the cash, or need to purchase a 2nd X1000 for myself.

Looking forward to the next announcements from A-Eon in the next 6 weeks and also seeing what they and AmigaKit have to display at this year's AmiWest Show in Sacramento, California.

See you there!

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 8:51:46
#114 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@amigadave

Do I think that this strategy of restricted supply to build up demand is in anyway indicative of a sustainable market in which OS4.x can grow and thrive as an independent OS? Ans: Hell no!

This is the safest way for A-EON to continue but it in no way will build the Amiga platform to a self sustaining position.

What "strategy of restricted supply to build up demand"?
From the very beginning it was stated that the X1000 is not for the "normal end user", but for developers and geeks instead and so is no mass product. They stated that they'd break even if they sold roughly 250 units (first batch).

They were overwhelmed by the demand (despite the price) and decided to have a 2nd production run.

So from my POV they did precisely what they announced - and that was NOT "to build up demand by pursueing a strategy of restricted supply"...

Are you a fan of conspiracy theories?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

We'll be waiting for the next Trevor Dickinson to usher in the next 'Next-Gen' hardware if we ever survive that long.

Wow - now you sound like in a Greek tragedy...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

The aim should be to get at least 5,000 machines made and sold in this generation and 10,000 in the next iteration (different CPU, upgraded graphics board, USB3.0 etc).

Why don't you apply for a manager job at A-Eon? I bet they're waiting for such recognised candidates...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I see no such striving and the vague hint that a netbook is on the horizon somewhere is not really concrete enough.

You not seeing the efforts does not necessarily mean that there actually are no efforts.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I'd feel a lot safer about making an investment of £1800+ if AmigaKit were being kept well stocked

Hmmmm - it seems AmigaKit themselves are responsible for their A1 X1k stock:
AmigaKit = A-Eon?
At least Mr Matthew Leaman appearently is appointed as director of both companies.

AmigaKit's statement "Manufacturing commenced in March and will be completed this month. Delivery to customers is expected to be on an on-going process starting from July until the end of 2012." furthermore indicates that they are quite well-stocked - at least in Amiga terms. Delivery from July til end of December - that's half a year!

They have enough AmigaOne X1000s on stock to deliver until the end of the year!
That's a lot, if you ask me - given the Amiga just is a tiny niche market...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

and that units were flying off the shelves as quick as they were restocking.

I guess that would require a much bigger user base.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

This queue system gives the illusion that there is more demand than there actually is while keeping the machine out of the hands of most users!

As I already mentioned earlier, it has been stated from the beginning that "keeping the machine out of the hands of most users" is the goal, as this machine isn't aimed at (end)users, but at developers and geeks.
Are you a developer?
Are you a geek?

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 9:32:20
#115 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@_ThEcRoW

Those who are good managing their money do find the x1000 "cheap". I paid more for a fully loaded A4000T back in "95".

1+!
Couldn't agree more!

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 10:27:28
#116 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@amigakit

The Apple Mac has started to phase out optical disc media and shift to an entirely webstore based model - where is the download verision of Wipeout 2097 to download for the X1000?

I can just speak for myself - but basically I prefer to go into a real shop to be able to touch the things I might want to buy.
And when the X1k finally arrives at my place I do not need the download version of it - I have the CD in a jewel case.
I prefer a real CD in a jewel case (preferably in a box together with a printed manual) over a download version any time.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Where is the stable release of Pagestream for the X1000? Is there a release date for these things?

You should direct this question at GrasshopperLLC...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

All I expect to get in return is.... .... boring

Forgot where you are?
You're in Amiga-land where clocks run at a different speed!

Quote:

BigD wrote:

How to turn an exciting launch such as the X1000 is a slow A1 type stalemate! I really am interested in this machine but I really feel like I should as a customer be 'sold' this machine a bit more, especially if it costs around £2000!!! What the hell does the Xena do? When is dual core support/Timberwolf and Hardware accelerated 3D/DVD decoding come online? These are BASIC questions.

I can understand your impatience.
I'm also impatient - but no matter how impatient I may be, it won't change the pace of developments in Amiga land.
Bill Gates or the like might be able to change it by throwing in some billion$ to speed up things...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

We shouldn't have to buy first and wait with baited breath to see when our machines will be finished!!!!

Hmmm - when thinking back to the time when I had assembled my A4kPPC, it was partly waiting for software to appear that would support the PPC on my CSPPC and partly using the A4kPPC as my everyday computer WITHOUT PPC soft - just with the 68k soft I already had so far...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I'm tempted to just save up for a refurbished last of line MacBook Pro with optical drive included and am getting excited about Colonial Marines on the Wii U and SC2: Heart of the Swarm looks sweet. I'm enjoying getting to grips with Photoshop on the Mac and enjoy messing with animation on Deluxe Paint 5 on my Classic 'miggy.

Then just do so.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Lifes to short to wait for the X1000 to be finished,

I see it this way:
You will wait for the A1X1k just once.
But if you "enjoy messing with animation on Deluxe Paint 5 on your Classic 'miggy" you will have to wait each time.

In the end you will waste more time on waiting when working on "Classic 'miggy", than you might be spending on waiting for your A1X1k...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

in fact do we think the intention is to finish the machine or just to use it as a test bed for the next model with different CPU?

I don't know what you think - I think the A1X1k is an excitng piece of Amiga hardware, which I'd like to have to be able to tinker with and explore its capabilities - especially those of XENA/XORRO.

Dandy

Duce 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 11:42:51
#117 ]

Still no mobo/OS only option?

Shame, I'd likely pick one up if it was offered - I simply don't buy prebuilt systems, Amiga or commodity PC.

BigD 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 14:56:05
#118 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Thanks for your comments. It's interesting to hear another point of view.

I've just been to Nuremburg in your fair country and visited the Transport and Communications museum. Sadly, no mention of the Amiga was made and the revisionist history of Apple seems to had ultimate victory. The fact that the Mac came out a year earlier with 'the first commercial realisation' of a Xerox-like GUI probably didn't help. I'd have rather seen an A500 or A1000 next to the prototype IBM PC than a Apple Mac Classic that wasn't even a commercial success (but then nor was the A1000). Apple seem to be a flag bearer for people who 'think different' when the Amiga was always a better machine at helping with the human condition.

The X1000 has no hope of any recognition. Micromart magazine reminded me of the Macintosh TV model released in the early 90's which sold only 10,000! Wow We'd see that as a victory for the X1000 these days

Macintosh TV - 10,000 units produced!

wawa 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 15:36:05
#119 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

oh no wonder, such an ugly specimen.

Phantom 
Posted on 2-Jul-2012 16:00:04
#120 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@_ThEcRoW

Those who are good managing their money do find the x1000 "cheap". I paid more for a fully loaded A4000T back in "95".

1+!
Couldn't agree more!

Well, although I plan to buy an X1000 to support the effort, your comment is actually not true. You paid more as you say for a fully loaded A4000T back in 95, but I'm sure that you had almost unlimited software products to try out, from office tools (word processors, spreadsheets, databases etc) to games to thousands of hardware cards for your favourite taste. If I list every commercial product probably the WWW will fall down.

So, unfortunately it's not the same with X1000. Apart from let's say 10-15 excellent native Amiga programs, all the others are simply ports from Linux etc.

But on the other hand, there are some people that they do excellent ports.

My opinion is that X1000 should be launched with Timberwolf, and at least a modern office suite.

Last edited by Phantom on 02-Jul-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle