Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 47 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  4 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  31 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 Lou:  48 mins ago
 Rob:  48 mins ago
 matthey:  57 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Das:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
itix 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 18:49:39
#141 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

/me likes that (C)1977 Microsoft Corp.

Profile     Report this post  
Breed 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 19:11:58
#142 ]

I have to say that X1000 is quite expensive but sometimes hobbies are.
I use daily Win PC's at work and I don't want use them at home.
That's why I'am waiting for my own new expensive toy...

gerograph 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 19:15:58
#143 ]
Cult Member

@itix

Quote:
It is a sign of small capital and small demand. There isnt enough demand and capital to order next batch until previous batch and shipped and sold. It is very typical phenomenon in an Amiga micro market.

If this is true, they must be really fast in producing a new batch + delivery to endcustomer:

My X1000 arrived 3rd of May (this was supposed to be only the middle of first batch as Amigakit mailed me). Even if I was the last one (and I weren't), the delivery of second batch already started and (presumably) first machine arrived around 27th of June at the customers house
Hyperion Forum

@Comi

as you stated, there aren't to much people at Amigakit. Considering that everything is assembled manually, they will probably do one or two a day.

This gives us room for speculations, how many were delivered overall, and when second production run had started.. and I guess they didn't wait until first batch was sold out....

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

amigakit 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 19:31:42
#144 ]
Amiga Kit

We have already completed the first batch. We have been contacting customers who narrowly missed out on the first batch last time and asking them if they want priority on the second batch.

AmigaOne X1000s are shipped with all the other store orders that we process on a daily basis. Please remember, that our Classic Amiga product sales take the majority of our time as well as Amiga Repairs and Amiga servicing. Every component in the AmigaOne X1000 gets thoroughly Quality tested before despatch to ensure customer satisfaction. Packing the X1000 alone can take an hour and half per unit as we double box, bubble wrap and shrink wrap each one. Plus then shipping labels and customs forms need to be generated with the correct documentation/tariff codes. As you can imagine, it is a very time intensive process.

Last edited by amigakit on 03-Jul-2012 at 07:33 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 19:44:46
#145 ]
Cult Member

I guess this proofes, that second batch was already in production, while first batch was still processed for shipping.

Plus it proofes, that 1 to 2 units per day were/will be shipped, which can used for "wild speculations" on how many X1000 owners are out there

Plus plus it proofes, that the timeframe AmigaKit gave us for first and second batch, should be plus/minus be correct and well scheduled.

Comi 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 20:25:05
#146 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Let's say you ship 3 per day... 500 potential customers... it's about 6 months
Slow slow....
It's your business at the end...so think about it

Last edited by Comi on 03-Jul-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Last edited by Comi on 03-Jul-2012 at 08:27 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 20:35:58
#147 ]
Cult Member

@Comi

exactly, they do ship slow. That's what they stated "from July towards end of 2012 ! There are many reasons for that (probably). However, who cares ? It seems not their main business money wise... and Amigans do wait ! They donnot loose many customers because of "slow" delivery, IMHO

opi 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 20:38:01
#148 ]
Team Member

@Comi

Quote:
500 potential customers...

I have really hard time believing that X1000 sold more than 100 boards.

itix 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 21:01:22
#149 ]
Elite Member

@gerograph

Quote:

My X1000 arrived 3rd of May (this was supposed to be only the middle of first batch as Amigakit mailed me). Even if I was the last one (and I weren't), the delivery of second batch already started and (presumably) first machine arrived around 27th of June at the customers house

And it is exactly what I wrote earlier. It is sold out only due to lack of resources.

Quote:

They donnot loose many customers because of "slow" delivery, IMHO

Every X1000 waiting in stores to be shipped costs money. But luckily it is just that soulless money nobody wants anyway. Money? Bah, humbug.

Comi 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 22:10:05
#150 ]
Cult Member

@opi

If they have 500 potential costumers (some from first and some for second batch) and OS4.2 is on the way ....
cost of production are smaller if you produce 500, 800 or 1000 boards instead of 100, 200 or 250
Second there are other resallers like Vesalia, Alinea.. so they can order 50 or 100 units..
If I am A Eon/Amigakit I would try to produce 1000 boards, invite all resalers to invest to get price down and to make some money of it to speed up whole thing

amigakit 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 22:11:06
#151 ]
Amiga Kit

@gerograph

We very much care. The Amiga is our only business. We do not have any other sidelines.

Darrin 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 22:31:21
#152 ]
Team Member

@itix

LOL. Yeah, I feel my teeth grind when I boot mine up

Darrin 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 22:36:29
#153 ]
Team Member

@amigakit

I can confirm that. When I paid AmigaKit a visit I expected to see them doing mainly PC stuff and the Amiga as a side-business. It totally blew me away to find them dealing with 100% Amiga hardware and support and in a quantity that keeps them very busy.

Arko 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 22:53:17
#154 ]

Quote:

Darrin wrote:
@amigakit

I can confirm that. When I paid AmigaKit a visit I expected to see them doing mainly PC stuff and the Amiga as a side-business. It totally blew me away to find them dealing with 100% Amiga hardware and support and in a quantity that keeps them very busy.

So it might be bad for A-Eon when they don't do any work on AmigaOne.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2012 23:07:01
#155 ]
Elite Member

@itix
Quote:
Every X1000 waiting in stores to be shipped costs money.

better though than if it had to be stored forever due to no demand. i think storage, even months, costs less than such a board that doesnt find its customer.
@Darrin
Quote:
It totally blew me away to find them dealing with 100% Amiga hardware and support and in a quantity that keeps them very busy.

since they are apparently working so slowly then chances are that they would not have much chance outside amiga business, on the other hand it looks like each x1k is at least throughout tested before the shipment, which is in case of practically hand made hardware quite a good idea, id say. generally they seem to know what they do.

Last edited by wawa on 03-Jul-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Moxee 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 1:21:59
#156 ]
Team Member

@Darrin

Quote:
Feel free to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-COMMODORE-128D-vintage-computer-and-keyboard-RARE-/260973919535?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3cc341fd2f

OMG! US $3,200.00

Last edited by Moxee on 04-Jul-2012 at 01:24 AM.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 1:25:54
#157 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@itix
Quote:
Every X1000 waiting in stores to be shipped costs money.

better though than if it had to be stored forever due to no demand. i think storage, even months, costs less than such a board that doesnt find its customer.
@Darrin
Quote:
It totally blew me away to find them dealing with 100% Amiga hardware and support and in a quantity that keeps them very busy.

since they are apparently working so slowly then chances are that they would not have much chance outside amiga business, on the other hand it looks like each x1k is at least throughout tested before the shipment, which is in case of practically hand made hardware quite a good idea, id say. generally they seem to know what they do.

Finally! Someone with a sane answer to some very stupid questions. The answer I am referring to is this one, which I will quote again:

Quote:
on the other hand it looks like each x1k is at least throughout (thoroughly) tested before the shipment, which is in case of practically hand made hardware quite a good idea, id (I'd) say. generally they seem to know what they do.

I agree that A-Eon (Trevor Dickinson) and AmigaKit (Matthew Leaman) know exactly what they are doing and have thought it all out very carefully. If anyone thinks that they can do a better job, I invite them to show us by doing something........ANYTHING!

All this sideline criticizing is childish and reflects poorly on the people who are doing so with little or no real information about what goes on behind the scenes at AmigaKit or A-Eon that determines what decisions they make.

We participate in an extremely TINY niche market and business decisions regarding manufacturing and selling rather expensive hardware must be very carefully made to minimize risk. If you don't agree with me why don't you talk to Jens of Individual Computers, who manufactures many less expensive items for our tiny niche market. Ask him how many of his potential products get canceled because he does not believe they can be manufactured without taking a loss, instead of making a small profit, because our niche market has shrunk to such a small size. Ask him how many C-One computers he had built and what percentage of them he sold at the original price he offered them at. Ask him why his accelerator's and Indivision Scandoublers only get made in such small quantities and he no longer takes the risk of large production runs to over stock the last few remaining Amiga online retailers.

People who expect Trevor to over produce the X1000 so it will be sitting on a shelf in some store, or pre-boxed X1000's can be sitting in AmigaKit's warehouse just waiting to be shipped out to new buyers are out of touch with the reality of our Amiga market and the amount of money that these last few remaining Amiga manufacturers and retailers can afford to have sitting on shelves in the way of stocked products for a market that may not buy all of that stock.

I believe that Trevor took a large risk investing in the X1000 with as much money as it took to finally get it into production. I don't blame him one bit if he is hesitant to risk more money by producing hundreds of Nemo2 motherboards in advance for future X1000 sales and is only producing 100 to 250 motherboards at a time with, or without non-refundable deposits from buyers.

With Hyperion working on the port to their OS4.x PPC Netbook and ACube still selling new SAM 460 computers to OS4.x buyers, there is no telling when the demand for the X1000 will dry up, plus A-Eon is also working on a successor design to the X1000 with Varisys, which when announced could negatively affect sales of the current X1000 design, so it makes no sense to try to mass market the X1000.

Trevor has always stated from the very beginning that the X1000 is not an OS4.x computer for most Amiga users. It was never intended to be mass marketed, or produced in large quantities. Frankly, I think that almost everyone has been pleasantly surprised with the relatively high demand for the X1000 so far, even with the increase in the originally proposed price and the long delays caused during the development cycle.

Considering the market it is intended for and all of the other factors surrounding the X1000, I think it has been a huge success. The only minor problem that I concede has happened, is that the software development has not kept pace with the hardware and we are still waiting for the drivers for the onboard Ethernet and Sound components. Since alternative PCI boards were provided, the missing drivers are only a very minor inconvenience which will soon be resolved.

I think that Trevor and Matthew are doing a great job and don't need to change anything they are doing, just like I also don't think that the MorphOS Dev. Team is on the wrong path as some critics have complained. Choosing to support the G4 Mac models has been the best choice for them, as seen in the evidence of the number of license registrations they have sold over the last few years since MorphOS2.4 for the G4 MacMini was released.

The only reason I bring MorphOS Dev. Team into this thread is to show that other Amiga related groups are also criticized by a vocal few, just like the few that are criticizing how AmigaKit and A-Eon are running their businesses and making decisions, but just because those few are very vocal about their opinions, it does not mean that they are correct.

Last edited by amigadave on 04-Jul-2012 at 01:36 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 1:47:37
#158 ]

@Moxee

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@Darrin

Quote:
Feel free to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-COMMODORE-128D-vintage-computer-and-keyboard-RARE-/260973919535?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3cc341fd2f

OMG! US $3,200.00

That is crazy! Without the original box and documentation it is only worth $2,999.00!

And people complain about the X1000's price.

Makes me wonder what my brand new, never used, complete in the original box, NTSC CDTV with Carl Sassenrath's signature on the inside of the top half of the case will be worth in 5 to 10 more years?

Darrin 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 3:29:36
#159 ]
Team Member

@Arko

I'm not with you. When I was there I saw aCube AmigaOnes, and the huge shrink-wrapped boxes beging prepared for shipping were obviously X1000s about to head towards their new owners.

So why shouldn't they "do any work on the AmigaOnes"? AmigaOnes look like a big part of their business.

Plus you might even be familiar with the concept of "hiring more staff". They certainly have the space for it.

Darrin 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 3:33:43
#160 ]
Team Member

@wawa

I'm glad they're getting a thorough testing. I've orderted stuff from Europe before, waited for it to arrive, found it faulty, sent it back, waited for the company to confirm the issue and then waited for the replacement. I want my X1000 to work striaght out of the box. (I'd hate to think what the return postage would be)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle