Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 50 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  28 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:33:06
#181 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

If the X1000 doesn't represent a mainstream computer platform right now then it instead represents an investment opportunity.

So as an investor I need to know some answers to a few questions. Not unlike the BBC programme, 'Dragon's Den'!

1) Does it offer me anything beyond the ability to use OS4.x faster than a Sam board?

2) Does it have any uses that supplement the computers I already own?

3) Can it be marketed/effectively used as the first dual core CPU Amiga?

4) What is a unique use of the Xena chip?

5) Will there be a Mac/iPhone type Web App Store?

6) When will the drivers for the on-board ethernet/sound chips be available?

Most of the answers to these questions are not clear. It is important to me the customer and a supportive customer at that, who would like to justify the ownership of a X1000, that I get some of these answers. Whether I seize this 'once in a lifetime' opportunity should be based on hard facts rather than misty eyed nostalgia for the Amiga that once was!

I think if A-EON and Hyperion are able to answer some of these question they might actually sell more machines and not just to me! That's if they actually try and sell them that is rather than just ask people who have already lodged an interest!

Last edited by BigD on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:56:50
#182 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

1) Does it offer me anything beyond the ability to use OS4.x faster than a Sam board?

You can have more then one graphic card mounted at the same time.
Whit faster CPU I can run emulators a lot faster.
Whit faster CPU I can play higher resolution movies.

Besides running AmigaOS4 software, WarpUP software and classic software, can you do that whit your setup?

You will be, the first contact systems run OS4.1, but OS4.2 will have dual core support.

It is a signal processor that can be programed, it can be used as DMA, bright chip, or even implement logic chips in software that's not present.

When its ready, should be out whit AmigaOS4.2

7) Will there be a Mac/iPhone type Web App Store?

You can buy software from AmigaKit.

damocles 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:03:29
#183 ]

@Rob

Quote:
The chipsets have since been reverse engineered in a number of different projects so a single ASIC solution could be manufactured if someone had the licenses, money and inclination.

How likely do you think that is going to happen? Emulation is going to be the only method for any modern none-68K system running those AGA (or OCS/ECS) games.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:10:48
#184 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

1) It's only significantly faster if the dual core is enable. Blu-Ray decoding is a complex licensing problem therefore HD video is problematic!

2) Can it run WarpUp software out of the box? Why can't I just download Wipeout 2097 and play it? It worked appallingly on a Sam440EP so I'd like to see some progress!

3) When will OS4.2 be ready?

4) What the hell is a real world use? I'm not Dave Haynie I just want to play around with my computer!

6) When will OS4.2 be ready?

7) Not a good enough answer. AmigaKit lists 26 products in the Software section not all of which will be compatible with the X1000! This is not good enough for a launch catalogue for a £1800 machine! This isn't 1981!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:11:31
#185 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

There are some programs and games that can be promoted to picasso96 screen modes.

As long as program or game does not directly depend on hardware registers in Alice/Denice/Paula chips, they should do just fine. It is totally possible to disassemble and recompile purge programs from dependence of chip-sets, just a matter of skill and will power.

The chip-set will live on in FPGA's, in lowed computers for people who have no other interest then to run a few classic games whit prefect timing.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:12:55
#186 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Buy a A500 or A1200 on eBay - far easier and cheaper!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:32:46
#187 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

@NutsAboutAmiga

1) It's only significantly faster if the dual core is enable. Blu-Ray decoding is a complex licensing problem therefore HD video is problematic!

[quote]
2) Can it run WarpUp software out of the box? Why can't I just download Wipeout 2097 and play it? It worked appallingly on a Sam440EP so I'd like to see some progress!

Yes almost.
1st you need a R250 or card that support Warp3D graphic api, or you need software alternative Wazp3D.
2en you need warposemu from OS4Depot, its easy to install
3rd Get Wipeout 2097.

Quote:

Can't say princely only have rumor of things progressing well, no dates for any release has been given for years, thanks to trolling in the forums, so its when its done.

Quote:

4) What the hell is a real world use? I'm not Dave Haynie I just want to play around with my computer!

It is a expensive toy, not horribly useful.

Quote:

Can't say princely only have rumor of things progressing well, no dates for any release has been given for years, thanks to trolling in the forums, so its when its done.

Quote:

7) Not a good enough answer. AmigaKit lists 26 products in the Software section not all of which will be compatible with the X1000! This is not good enough for a launch catalogue for a £1800 machine! This isn't 1981!

Making software for Amiga is not profitable atm, but there are some trying to sell software,
Check out :

Swamp defense, DvPlayer, WarpView

You find a lot of information about what software you can download or buy from www.amigaos.net

http://www.amigaos.net/applications
http://www.amigasoft.net/pages/games/default.asp

free software is found on OS4Depot.net

http://www.OS4Depot.net/

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:33 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:36:44
#188 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Rob

If the X1000 doesn't represent a mainstream computer platform right now then it instead represents an investment opportunity.

I don't agree with the X1000 being an investment in the way you are asking about an investment below. I figured that since the availability of PA6T CPU's is limited and there probably won't be any more of them produced at any time in the future, coupled with the fact that the X1000 will likely be a low production volume computer, the comparitive rarity of the X1000 would help it retain it's value, and depending on the future of AmigaOS4.x, the X1000 could possibly even increase in value in one or two different forks of our future reality (not that I am counting on that ever happening).

Quote:
So as an investor I need to know some answers to a few questions. Not unlike the BBC programme, 'Dragon's Den'!

The primary purpose of my X1000 is to run OS4.x faster than any other computer currently available, and it fulfills that intended purppose for me.

Quote:

Why should it supplement any other computer? Do you buy your computers based on this requirement that they must "supplement" your existing computers? It supplements your other computers by running OS4.x faster than any other computer can, unless you already have an X1000. If you are not interested in running OS4.x, or you have no desire to run it faster than other existing OS4.x compatible computers, why are you even commenting in this thread?

Quote:

This is two completely separate questions that have nothing to do with each other. As the X1000 was never intended to be mass marketed and was only created to satisfy a small portion of users from a very small niche community, the X1000 has already met, or exceeded it's intended marketing goals, IMHO. As for the second part of your question, work continues toward providing some kind of dual core support for OS4.x. As reported earlier, dual core support is slated to come with the release of version 4.2 of AmigaOS4.x (IIRC).

Quote:

It is too early to tell what uses will be developed which will take advantage of the Xena chip and new Xorro interface.

Quote:

As usual, software development time cannot be predicted. It takes as long as it takes to be completed. Unless you can predict the future, no one knows exactly when any software project will be finished.

Quote:

The developer of the "Jack" program for OS4.x is working on providing some kind of App Store for all Amiga users, not just OS4.x users.

Quote:
Most of the answers to these questions are not clear. It is important to me the customer and a supportive customer at that, who would like to justify the ownership of a X1000, that I get some of these answers. Whether I seize this 'once in a lifetime' opportunity should be based on hard facts rather than misty eyed nostalgia for the Amiga that once was!

I am not sure anyone can answer all of your questions above, in a manner that is satisfactory to you, but I assure you that my decision to purchase the X1000 was not based on any "misty eyed nostalgia". It was based on some very careful consideration of the existing facts and the probabilities of the future. I don't pretend that the X1000 is the right answer for everyone, but for me, it met just enough of my requirements to convince me it was the right choice for me to make at this point in time. I don't regret it at all and I am very satisfied with my purchase and I am glad to see that so many other Amiga users are also choosing to purchase an X1000.

Quote:
I think if A-EON and Hyperion are able to answer some of these question they might actually sell more machines and not just to me! That's if they actually try and sell them that is rather than just ask people who have already lodged an interest!

A-Eon & AmigaKit's method of marketing and selling the X1000 works just fine for me and many others. If it does not work for you, then look for some other solution to run OS4.x if it is your intention to get something new to run OS4.x on. Asking them to change the way they sell the X1000, just because you disagree with their decisions about how it should be marketed or sold make no sense. Do you expect any other companies to listen to you for marketing advice and change their sales methods, just because you ask them to do so?

I only posted an answer to your message, because I doubt that either AmigaKit, or A-Eon will waste their time providing you with any answers to most of your questions. All of the above are only my opinions, and have nothing to do with the official opinions, or views of A-Eon, or AmigaKit. I have nothing to do with them, other than I am one of their many satisfied customers, and a staunch supporter of everything they are doing.

Last edited by amigadave on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Last edited by amigadave on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:40 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 0:49:07
#189 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

@NutsAboutAmiga

Buy a A500 or A1200 on eBay - far easier and cheaper!

Its easier to play from SDCARD and requires few upgrades to connect it to your TV, and FPGA computers are more configurable, if you own a A1200, some of your Amiga500 game will have problem running because ether it does support AGA, or because of the RAM.

If your into that sort of thing the FPGA arcade is most likely the best FPGA computer atm.
No UAE setup can compare to the accuracy.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 5:49:32
#190 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:
Those who want an Amiga want to run their old Amiga OS/software/Games natively on it - and this is something CUSAs super-duper so-called Amigas simply can not accomplish.

The only Commodore Amigas that can run old 68K code (OS/Games/Apps) natively are A1200 and A4000 less you mean OCS/ECS based software then we can talk about the OCS/ECS Commodore Amigas as well.

Yessir.
I still have 2 1/2 A500 and an towered A1200 sitting in the locker, while my main machine is my towered A4kPPC.

Quote:

damocles wrote:

Since the masks were destroyed (AFAIK) ten years ago, it's unlikely you are ever going to see a native OCS/ECS/AGA 68K based Commodore Amiga being produced again.

For my tastes, UAE runs what I need to run of the old software just fine so I don't have issue with emulation.

I also have AmigaForever installed on my PCs - also no issues with emulation here.
But nevertheless I'm eager for an A1 X1k...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 6:32:56
#191 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

if you have the money way the hell not use its, no fun having it sitting unused in the bank account.

If A-EON can't prove that the X1000 has a long term future then there is no reason to invest in it just because it runs OS4.x. 2 years after it was demoed at the VCF I have no idea if Amigakit will ever have any in stock long enough for me to pay attention and consider one! I have no idea when dual core support will be added and I have no idea if I'll be able to buy Wipeout 2097 a 14 year old PPC game on an webstore in a form that will run natively on a X1000.

It is up to you to decide if you want one or not. Noone forces you to buy one if your concerns outweigh your interest.
But if you want one (like I do) there (currently) is no other way than registering your interest with amigakit and wait until its your turn (perhaps this will change in future, but until then...)...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

This product would never stand up on Dragon's Den!

Excuse my ignorance - but do I have to know what "Dragon's Den" is?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

If this was Dragon's Den, Trevor would stand there, pull a cover off the machine and just utter the words "it's an Amiga, keep the party going. Enough said".

Your argument cannot succeed, if you refer to persons or things that are unknown to others...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Duncan Bannatyne would ask what it does that a £200 netbook can't do and we'd all be stumped!!!

WTF is "Duncan Bannatyne" - do I have to know it?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

AmigaOS isn't the be all and the end all. We need software that sets the Amiga apart or this expensive duck is dead in the water.

That's why the A1 X1k exists. It is mainly aimed at developers (and geeks).
If each A1 X1k was sold to an developer, there could be hope that the software situation improves for the Amiga platform. (I don't know what happens if all were sold to geeks).

My hope is that this will lead to an AmigaOS that is 64 bit and capable to use multiple cpu cores. Depending on the possibilities of the XENA addon it might also develop into the direction of being predestined to control external hardware, which might have the potential to revolutionise the game industry in so far that it moves the focus from passive virtuality back to active reality again.
Depends on what is possible and what of this will be realised by the devs at which price. And what will be accepted by the customers, of course.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Enjoy your investment but don't kid yourself this is a real computer platform unless we have a way of selling software online!

It is beyond me how someone selling software online can make the Amiga "a real computer platform"...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

We don't have Special Reserve, Alive Mediasoft etc any more we can't keep this going with PD stuff off OS4 Depot!

What's "Special Reserve"?
What's "Alive Mediasoft"?

You see that up to now I could easily live without those - I don't even know them.
So be assured that i have no need for them...

My opinion on online shops in general:
I try to avoid them whereever I can, as they are killng the real shops.
I prefer to go to a shop, look around, ask questions to the salesperson regarding the product(s) I'm interested in, touch the product(s) with my hands and test them.
All things I cannot do online...
Online shops may be a nice addition to real shops - but they should never try to replace them.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 7:18:17
#192 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Rob

At school I already learned in the economics lessons that not the money is the capital or investment, but what you buy from the money...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

So as an investor ...

So you already bought an A1 X1k?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I need to know some answers to a few questions. Not unlike the BBC programme, 'Dragon's Den'!

Ahhh - 'Dragon's Den' is a BBC programme!
But you do know that BBC is not getting as much attention in other countries as in the UK - even less in non-English-speaking-countries?
And you are aware that this is not an UK only or native English speakers only forum?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Given that the A1 X1k is mainly aimed at developers, your question should look like this:
"Am I an developer who is interested in advancing the Amiga platform by e.g. helping to make the OS 64 bit and SMP capable and by writing applications that can take full advantage of this powerful new piece of hw?"

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Most of the answers to these questions are not clear.

No surprise, as you asked the wrong questions.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

It is important to me the customer and a supportive customer at that, who would like to justify the ownership of a X1000, that I get some of these answers.

Answers to such questions may be important for potential end user customers - but once again:
The A1 X1k never was aimed at end users!

Your behaviour reminds me of that of some dumb nuts on ebay - they buy articles that are cleary declared as defective by the seller and then moan that they got a non-working device...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Whether I seize this 'once in a lifetime' opportunity should be based on hard facts rather than misty eyed nostalgia for the Amiga that once was!

Fully agreed, as long as you accept the fact that the A1 X1k is not aimed at end users, but at developers in the first place.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I think if A-EON and Hyperion are able to answer some of these question they might actually sell more machines and not just to me!

Hmmmm - you seem to suffer from a lot of misconceptions:
1) Hyperion neither does nor wants to sell "machines" - they develop and sell software only, IIRC - and so is out of the equation.
2) A-Eon is not interested in selling the machines - they appointed Amigakit as exclusive worldwide distributor and so are out of your equation as well.
3) The machines you are referring to are meant for developers and geeks - not for end users.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

That's if they actually try and sell them that is rather than just ask people who have already lodged an interest!

Again you missed the point...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 8:55:42
#193 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

1) It's only significantly faster if the dual core is enable.

Hmmm - I'm no hardware expert - but as far as I know my
32 bit AmigaOS 3.9/WarpOS runs significantly faster with my CSPPC, as the RAM on the CSPPC is 64 bit and so 2 32 bit instructions can be grabbed in one cpu cycle.
So there was no 2nd cpu core required to make the OS feel significantly faster...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Blu-Ray decoding is a complex licensing problem therefore HD video is problematic!

At my home HD videos are no problem. I have a nice 108 cm flatscreen HD TV and an HD recorder. Much better for my bad eyes than e.g. a computer monitor.
Why do you want to abuse computers to playback (HD-)videos?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

2) Can it run WarpUp software out of the box?

I will test it once I got my A1 X1k...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Why can't I just download Wipeout 2097 and play it?

Because to my knowledge the Amiga version of Wipeout isn't maintained anymore and also isn't available anymore in stores. As far as I know no downloadable version for the Amiga exists.
Back when this game was still on sale it came on CD in a jewel case.

Quote:

BigD wrote:

It worked appallingly on a Sam440EP so I'd like to see some progress!

What "progress" do you expect from a software that isn't maintained anymore?

Quote:

BigD wrote:

I highly doubt that anyone here will be able to answer this (except with "When it's done!") - you really should address this question to Hyperion...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Then why don't you do it? What's preventing you from it?
From my POV this is a real world use...

Quote:

BigD wrote:

See my reply to 3)

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Could it be that you are one of those who are resistant to learning?
It has been stated a (felt) million times that the A1 X1k is for developers (or geeks).
This is NOT the launch of a product for end users!

Last edited by Dandy on 06-Jul-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 06-Jul-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Dandy

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 12:11:34
#194 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
It has been stated a (felt) million times that the A1 X1k is for developers (or geeks).

I don't think you need to be developer to use it, and as fare as I can see we need also more users to beta test or buy what developers makes, and also contribute whit there skills, lets say you are good at making music, and some one else is good whit graphics, then might be possible to get to getter and make something more interesting, also hardware sells will also found development of new models, so the more the better to keep the ball rolling.

X1000 is mostly for people who wont the extra CPU grunt, most of the AmigaONE/SAM hardware projects has been released before the drivers where ready, its nothing new, Eyetech did so, Acube-System do, AEON does.

If buy Sam460 or X1000, there are some software too use, but this tiny community compared to MacOSX community, and I think its unfair to even try comparing to anything right now.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 12:15 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 12:59:39
#195 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
think Dandy means whit out UAE, AmigaOS is ported to PowerPC, any thing that uses native libraries and system is regarded as native, same whit MacOS9/PowerPC running 68k applications.

AmigaOS4.x on the other only runs on PowerPC chips, runs native, does not depend on Linux, has native libraries and drivers and devices, runs 68k application native thanks to recompilation whit JIT.

That's not running a old Amiga OS/WB or Amiga 68K (OCS/ECS/AGA) games natively then. Yes, I know Amiga OS4 runs only on PPC but Dandy was demanding old apps/games run natively. That is something a modern system (such as the A1X1K) can not do and have to depend on emulation or translation which is clearly not running a old (OCS/ECS/AGA) game natively. Best comparison I can think of is using a portable translation device to talk to someone speaking Hindi with me speaking English, that sure isn't native communication in Hindi on my part.

BillE 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 13:06:47
#196 ]

@Dandy

> What's "Alive Mediasoft"?

A bunch of crooks that still owe me £30 for the DOpus Companion CD I bought from them which they never bothered to send. They had a very bad reputation before they left the Amiga scene.

We are better off without them.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 14:03:11
#197 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Real Time Translation or Juts In Time, is as native as it gets on a different CPU architecture, MorphOS and AmigaOS4 benefits greatly from having access to libraries and old applications running as part of the system instead of side by side of the system, every time a 68k program draws a line whit Graphic.library it does that whit native PowerPC routine, every time a 68k program, uses any part of the system it does that whit a native PowerPC routine.

It not the job of the application to access hardware, it job of OS to provide drivers for the hardware, this has not been an practice, if it was we would not be taking about AGA / OCS / ECS / PAULA / DENICE / ALICE etc, even today game developers on the classic Amiga refuse to use AHI, timer.device and system friendly API to access joy stick ports and so on.

Exotic hardware features like Dual playfilds (split screen), hardware spites, cooper, and bitter is not accessible by libraries or drivers, it is a shame, they might have been implemented in software or simulated easier if they where, anyway its not like you can run a MSDOS game in Windows7 whit out DOSBOX, or MacOS6 games in MacOS7 or MacOSX, the technology changes and gets better, but games that depends on hardware technology from 1980 wont work on new systems, whit out PC or Game system emulator.

It is possible that some of the hardware features might have been provided by FPGA's.

It is also not true that AmigaOS4.1 does not run AGA games, AmigaOS4.1 runs on BlizzardPPC and CyberStormPPC where AGA, Paula, Joystick ports and hardware timer are available, thanks to A1200 or A4000 hardware its connected to.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:09 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 14:23:53
#198 ]
Elite Member

"1) It's only significantly faster if the dual core is enable."
about performance, x1000 seems signifficantly faster than SAM:
In lame it's more than 2x faster than SAM460.
In blender it's more than 4x faster than SAMepFlex, 2x faster than SAM460
In mplayer and video processing it's 2x faster than Peg2 ... more than 3x faster than SAM460?

When AMP/SMP or BMP is put in AOS4.2, the speed should be silly when compared to the other AOS4 HW.
So far it seems that for example in blender the speed boost is full 2x, because the multicore design is so advanced when compared to other existing desktops in PPC world. (the memory bandwidth and shared large L2 cache helps in keeping the core busy)

(blender summary)

Without multicore support I expect x1000 to be the fastest AOS4HW for a year or two. With multicore support it might become the fastest Amigalike system. Benchmarking AROS on 4Ghz CPU (one core in use) with PA6T (dual core in use) might be interesting then.

Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Jul-2012 at 02:28 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Dandy 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 14:31:51
#199 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

I don't think you need to be developer to use it,

Of course not - its just that it was stated from the beginning that this beast is meant for developers and geeks primarily.

Of course everybody else can also buy the machine (provided he has the funds) and have fun with it and what the devs provide for it.

From my POV it is just useless to moan about the price being too high to build a new momentum around this machine, given that those who are responsible for the A1 X1k stated from the beginning that the machine is not meant for the end users in the first place.

It really casts a strange light on those people who still continue to repeat the same dead arguments...

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

and as fare as I can see we need also more users to beta test or buy what developers makes, and also contribute whit there skills

Look - I'm also no Amiga developer or geek, but nevertheless registered my interest in an A1 X1k.

Just that I don't moan about the price and that the project would be a failure bececause of the pice and all this nonsense...

Maybe - if time and health permit - I'll start developing for the Amiga one day - who knows...

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

lets say you are good at making music, and some one else is good whit graphics, then might be possible to get to getter and make something more interesting,

I think I'm better at designing, but I got your valid point. I'd like to explore the possiblities of the XENA addon - and who knows - perhaps I get a good idea and start to develop for it...

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

also hardware sells will also found development of new models, so the more the better to keep the ball rolling.

Of course - I never disputed that.
But I'm afraid that the more people utter such nonsense without getting corrected, the less units might be sold. That's why I feel I have to tell it BigD, although I believe he already knows it...

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:

X1000 is mostly for people who wont the extra CPU grunt,

Of course I want to have the extra power, but to me it is also clear that the real power won't come until the OS has been enhanced to be 64 bit and SMP and to support XENA / XORRO.

And the prospect of AOS getting these features makes me feel thrilled and justifies this equipment acquisition from my POV.
If someone else has a different opinion, he is of course free to refrain from buying an A1 X1k...

Dandy

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 5-Jul-2012 14:43:10
#200 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

"1) Hyperion neither does nor wants to sell "machines" - they develop and sell software only,"

What?, are you serious?. It is hyperion that enforce the locked-down hardware route. If they were interested in selling their software(os) to higher number of people, they would be finishing moana and getting more licenses sold.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle