Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MichaelMerkel:  24 mins ago
 amigakit:  33 mins ago
 Lou:  41 mins ago
 Rob:  41 mins ago
 matthey:  50 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Das:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
Xenic 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 1:54:48
#21 ]

@Darrin
Lucky you. I haven't received an email so I guess I'm out of luck. Time to start looking at alternatives I suppose.

Profile     Report this post  
Darrin 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 2:28:10
#22 ]
Team Member

@Xenic

Drop them an email and/or check your SPAM folder.

How did you register? Make sure you registered here:
www.amigakit.com/x1000
Click on "buy" and then send an email to the address listed.

Last edited by Darrin on 12-Jun-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Last edited by Darrin on 12-Jun-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Last edited by Darrin on 12-Jun-2012 at 02:30 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 5:16:04
#23 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@amigadave

...... The aim should be to get at least 5,000 machines made and sold in this generation and 10,000 in the next iteration (different CPU, upgraded graphics board, USB3.0 etc). I see no such striving and the vague hint that a netbook is on the horizon somewhere is not really concrete enough.

I'd feel a lot safer about making an investment of £1800+ if AmigaKit were being kept well stocked and that units were flying off the shelves as quick as they were restocking. This queue system gives the illusion that there is more demand than there actually is while keeping the machine out of the hands of most users!

I don't think there is any way that AmigaKit and A-Eon could sell 5,000 X1000 computers and don't think that there are that many remaining Amiga enthusiasts left that want one.

It would be great if there were, but the Amiga community is not that large anymore for me to think that we have enough users, or former users, to give us any where close to 5,000 buyers for the X1000. I will be happy if there are 500 people who buy an X1000 and then Trevor comes up with something even better and sells another 500 or more at a lower price. We shall see what happens over time.

Good luck Trevor and Matthew. I hope you can sell tons of these X1000's and then what ever comes next.

Edit: @Xenic, I have not read any statements that ordering for the second production run has been halted due to them being sold out again already, so don't give up so easily and send another email to AmigaKit showing interest in purchasing an X1000, but tell them to look for your prior email as verifying the earliest email will put you closer to the front of the line in getting your X1000. Hopefully this second production run will be large enough to satisfy all of the people who want one right now.

Last edited by amigadave on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:23 AM.

NovaCoder 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 6:20:21
#24 ]

For whatever reason I don't think they've ever published sales figures to-date, but I'd be surprised if they've sold more than a couple of hundred units world-wide, this new batch should meet demand for the other half of the market

Dandy 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 6:34:51
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

Quote:

Spirantho wrote:
@Kicko

I'd like the X1000 to be a success as much as anybody, but even I think that 500 may be a slightly optimistic number. :)

It might be optimistic if you just think of Amiga users - but isn't it also a LinuxPPC box?

How many are Amiga users and how many are LinuxPPC users of those alleged 540 interested people?

Quote:

Spirantho wrote:

Didn't they run a webpage which had a "register your interest here" button but didn't say the price? That's quite normal (say the price after people say they're interested) but that may be where the amount comes from.

I fully agree.

I also don't understand this secretiveness regarding the A1 X1k.
It is not listed on Amigakit's pages.
There's a "AmigaOne / Sam" menue item - but no A1 X1k, if you follow the "AmigaOne / Sam" menue item.

I mean - the A1 X1k is an official product. Why is it not listed on the "product"-pages of its exclusive worldwide distributor?

What economical sense does it make to be that secretive about an official product?

They have a webpage for the A1 X1k (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/x1000/), but it is kept mostly secret and not available from the menue on their web page and also does not show the retail price.

Don't they want to sell as many as possible of those A1 X1ks and so make it an economic success?

Or is it just a manoeuvre to try to circumvent possible future warranty claims (we never sold it in our webshop - so this product is not covered by our business conditions)?

Last edited by Dandy on 12-Jun-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Dandy

BigD 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 7:27:01
#26 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
It would be great if there were, but the Amiga community is not that large anymore for me to think that we have enough users, or former users, to give us any where close to 5,000 buyers for the X1000.

Why isn't it marketed to the general retro computing enthusiasts/PPC Linux communities/BBC micro owners that currently use there BBC for controlling their greenhouse temperature/light controls but could use the Xena instead? Why not advertise in MicroMart Magazine which still has an Amiga section every other week! The possibilities are endless but only if A-EON believe in the product and want to sell these machines in respectable quantities!

Kicko 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 8:22:24
#27 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

The chips they have is probably limited and you know how long it is the wait for the enduser to get his piece. The batches are sold. Ok if they sold some machines that were produced faster and there was many chips avaible then advertising would be good. All this waiting would just make people mad, get bad reviews etc. As i see it limited chips, batches fully ordered and all the wait for the end user. So as its limited they try to get the most hardcore users that affords it. They have to start somewhere.

Thats just my point of view. I dont really know whats behind etc. Ofcourse having the machine on amigakits page would be the place to find and order it with some info on the batch is full and can take months/year to get etc.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 8:42:26
#28 ]

The reason why they are making and selling them in batches is pretty simple... they do not want to overestimate the demand and lose a lot of money.

As for the number of interested parties, I highly doubt the quoted number since it is probably equal or bigger than the number of active OS4 users.

Regarding Linux PPC market, I guess a few wealthy hardware collectors might be interested - beside them, the availability of cheap and cheerful Apple PPC hardware makes the prospect of selling X1000 to the rest of the LinuxPPC people rather weak...

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 8:51:46
#29 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@amigadave

Quote:
It would be great if there were, but the Amiga community is not that large anymore for me to think that we have enough users, or former users, to give us any where close to 5,000 buyers for the X1000.

Why isn't it marketed to the general retro computing enthusiasts/PPC Linux communities/BBC micro owners that currently use there BBC for controlling their greenhouse temperature/light controls but could use the Xena instead? Why not advertise in MicroMart Magazine which still has an Amiga section every other week! The possibilities are endless but only if A-EON believe in the product and want to sell these machines in respectable quantities!

Not really sure why I should have to answer such a question, when the answer is so obvious.

Price! That is the reason that they are not marketing it to anyone else. It does not make any sense for anyone else to purchase the X1000 because there are other options that are more cost effective for people to buy that want to run Linux, even if they want to run Linux PPC, there are other choices. My dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac that can be purchased for about $300 or less can run Linux PPC much faster than my X1000 will ever be able to do, so even if they are concerned about reliability of buying a used computer, they could buy 10 of them, which would probably last, one after the other, about as long as my X1000 will if they put the other 9 in a closet somewhere and only pulled them out when their current one failed on them. There are PPC workstations that were made until just recently that are even more powerful and newer, so would last longer too, but who really wants to run Linux only on PPC, if they have a choice and can run it on a faster, cheaper, brand new x86, or x64 computer?

It makes no sense for AmigaKit or A-Eon to spend any money on marketing or advertising the X1000. They will probably find all the buyers that they want from the Amiga community, since the PA6T CPU's are in limited supply, expensive and might be difficult to obtain more of them in the future. They will sell the X1000's in as many numbers as they can and then sell the next design, but there is no telling when (or if) the next design will be ready for production and sales, so if you want a fast OS4.x computer now, get on the waiting list for an X1000. It is an excellent computer and the best you can get for OS4.x right now. AmigaKit and A-Eon have been the best companies at providing support, so I highly recommend them to anyone who is even slightly interested.

My only regret is that due to my health, I have not been able to use my X1000 more, but hope that will change soon.

Zylesea 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 9:43:19
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

If you want LinuxPPC you just use old Apple gear. Either a laptop for being mobile or a G5 for serious computing power. The X1000 has rather the power of an Powerbook (okay, okay, by using the 2nd core its significantly more, but you get what I am implying here..) but the bulkiness of a G5 for a price that is somwhere beyond logic. I really doubt LinuxPPC users are interested in X1000.
Years ago companies like Raytheon may had been an interesting customer for X1000, but I don't think they are still developing PA6T based military gear.

The only intersting thing of the X1000 is OS4.

Dandy 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 12:11:04
#31 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
@BigD

It makes no sense for AmigaKit or A-Eon to spend any money on marketing or advertising the X1000.

They did the marketing 1.5 years ago (What is X?) - no direct need to spend money on that for the Amiga market.
But listing it on their product page with all the info a customer expects is a must, given that they are the exclusive distributor for the A1 X1k worldwide.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:

They will probably find all the buyers that they want from the Amiga community,

I doubt that.
I know some that refuse to buy the A1 X1k just because the missing standard information on their website and I can understand them.
Even in Amiga market customers are used to find a product plus associated information in the dealers webshop.
If an Amiga company claims it cannot afford to list a product in its webshop it should stop making business. Period.
That's an explanation that makes absolutely no sense and makes the serious customer feel being taken for a ride.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:

AmigaKit and A-Eon have been the best companies at providing support, so I highly recommend them to anyone who is even slightly interested.

And then this "anyone" wants more information, visits Amigakit's webshop and is not able to find the least hint that the product he's interested in really exists.
he will think you took him for a ride with your "Go to AmigaKit for a brandnew NG Amiga!" recommendation.

If the A1 X1k really is a computer that does not need to hide - then why does AmigaKit hide it on their pages?

Dandy

TrevorDick 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 12:32:11
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

I don't know, I have already asked AmigaKit the same question.

As for all the other comments about price etc, as I posted elsewhere, if anyone wants to buy used mainstream hardware, it can be purchase for less than the cost of AmigaOS 4 (or MorphOS) and then a GNU/Linux distribution can be installed for free.

But that is not why we are still here.

TrevorD

KimmoK 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 12:41:36
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

There are also a lot of people interested in playing around with excotic PPC CPU.
(or to use some more modern expansions for their existing geeky PPC SW)

But they might not be willing to pay several thousands of euros for that.... :-|

/me hoping to see some new cheaper product to buy ... one day.

Last edited by KimmoK on 12-Jun-2012 at 12:43 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 14:36:26
#34 ]
Cult Member

Weren't the first contact units really betat test units not sold?. Or they were really new board?. Just want to know.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

sundown 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 17:05:25
#35 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:
Weren't the first contact units really betat test units not sold?. Or they were really new board?. Just want to know.

The beta run sold out, there were about 2 ppl that dropped out, but others filled their place. Just another dumb rumor started on that "other" forum.

LOL & now missing drivers have been translated to bad h/w. Seems the dark side is working real hard to shoot down sales.

amigakit 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 17:21:20
#36 ]
Amiga Kit

@dandy

Quote:
why does AmigaKit hide it on their pages?

All the up to date information is on the AmigaKit X1000 website: www.amigakit.com/x1000

We have been advertising this sub-section of our webstore for nearly a year now. A-EON have been publishing the link on every new press release. Every recent issue of Amiga Future magaizine has a full page advert with the link. Recently the link has been published in Micro Mart mainstream magazine. The official AmigaOS website carries the link. Even my signature has a link to the AmigaKit X1000 website. I do not think it is "hiding" the product away.

There's an FAQ section there which deals with various questions and we are happy to assist any customers with the dedicated sales email.

As with all our items, our policy is to only list out of stock products in our main catalog for ordering when they are imminent. We have dedicated a whole sub section of our website to the AmigaOne X1000 which is unique for a product.

All First Contact systems are new production run systems.

Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Last edited by amigakit on 12-Jun-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Spirantho 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 18:09:27
#37 ]

@amigakit

If you go to the AmigaKit website, though, there's no mention of the X1000. Even when you click on "OS4.1 systems".

If I were you I'd have a great big flashing banner ad proudly proclaiming the existence of the Rolls-Royce of OS4 machines, and definitely put it in the AmigaOne/SAM section. And a really big photo on the front page.

(Not a criticism, just what I would do....)

BigD 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 19:17:22
#38 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:
As with all our items, our policy is to only list out of stock products in our main catalog for ordering when they are imminent. We have dedicated a whole sub section of our website to the AmigaOne X1000 which is unique for a product.

Do we ever envisage a day when the X1000 will remain in stock long enough to get listed on the main catalog? I mean if I'm correct the next batch of machines is imminent but because of the waiting list they will never be listed! Sad! 2 years in the making and the X1000 was robbed of a glitzy launch

I'd have bought the poster of the Friedens, Trevor and Ben Hermans popping the bubbly at the hypothetical launch party! That would have rocked!!

HammerD 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 19:33:51
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Spirantho

I kind of agree with you, but I can see AmigaKit's point of view. He's not listing products on the main page/catalog that you can't buy (or at least that aren't imminent).

I personally hate finding a great product only to click through and then it's "out of stock".

So I can see both sides of the coin...

Spirantho 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 21:01:05
#40 ]

@HammerD

I see their point of view as well - but I think they're mistaken.

Sure, don't list something when it's out of stock, or when it's not taking pre-orders, but the X1000 is available if not now then very soon. We're not talking something that's not going to be around for another year here.

At the moment the only people who know about it are the people who see AmigaKit's forum postings or press releases, but that's like preaching to the choir. Better to preach to the Great Unwashed, as it were.
Give the X1000 is almost available and there are a number of people interested in it, it seems a bit daft not to advertise it on your own site. Even if advertising gains just one purchase, that's still another £2000.
A worthwhile investment, I think.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle