Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 47 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  24 mins ago
 matthey:  42 mins ago
 amigakit:  58 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 1 min ago
 BigD:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Frank:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Lou:  4 hrs 27 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigakit 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 21:14:34
#41 ]
Amiga Kit

@Spirantho

It has now been added to our main page which links to the X1000 website.

Profile     Report this post  
Spirantho 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 21:51:07
#42 ]

@amigakit

Fantastic.

I'll put the invoice for my consultation fee in the post shall I? Curiously enough, it matches exactly the price of an X1000. Weird that!

(Yes, I am joking/hopelessly optimistic)

BigD 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 22:12:49
#43 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Good stuff! It just needs to be added to the left hand 'Categories' dock area now, preferably under;

AmigaOne / Sam > OS 4.1 Systems

That's where I looked for it first but no show!! The button for X1000 is right at the bottom of the page and not everyone is going to scroll that far!

I'd settle for a £500 discount 'early bird' voucher for a X1000 for my consultancy fee But for that I know you'd have to ship it without the PA6T installed

Last edited by BigD on 12-Jun-2012 at 10:15 PM.

number6 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 22:43:10
#44 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
where are they getting this number? the email that was sent to me only had (accidentally) around 150 email addresses, not 540.

Martin (@Senex) from Amiganews.de and Morphzone moderator has been kind enough to clarify/elaborate on the origin of this #.

Post #778

klx300r 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 23:28:22
#45 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I love it 780 posts on an X1000 thread over at Morphzone no wonder A-Eon & Amigakit can't keep up with the demand

Last edited by klx300r on 12-Jun-2012 at 11:30 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

amigadave 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 5:06:17
#46 ]

@klx300r

Well, if you read all the pages of that X1000 thread over at MorphZone.org, you will see that there are many other off-topic messages mixed in with the X1000 discussion. At one point I might have even asked that the thread be closed, or locked, because it had turned into a discussion about something completely having nothing to do with the X1000. After a while it returned to the X1000 once in a while, but still strays off-topic to several other things that have been mentioned in that thread at one time or another.

For the most part, the members of MZ.org don't have too much interest in obtaining an X1000 for themselves. There are a few there that only want to use information reported about the X1000, or comparisons between the X1000 and Mac models that are supported by MorphOS, so they can use the info in a way that could discredit the X1000, or it's users, or manufacturer.

Luckily there are not many that feel that way, and the amount of X1000 bashing that takes place on MZ.org is very limited. In fact, I would say that more of that goes on over at A.org, or other websites (probably Moo Bunny, but I don't visit there, so I wouldn't know).

There are a fair number of members at MZ.org that are curious about the X1000, but not many that would seriously consider buying one of them. There is me, who already has my X1000 and maybe 3 or 4 more members that I know of who have considered purchasing an X1000, but that is only the ones that I know about. There could be several more that I don't know about.

I am just glad I have my X1000 and hope that the people purchasing the next batch of X1000's will be able to get them as quickly as possible and will be as happy with their purchase as I am.

amigadave 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 5:30:26
#47 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@eliyahu

Quote:
where are they getting this number? the email that was sent to me only had (accidentally) around 150 email addresses, not 540.

Martin (@Senex) from Amiganews.de and Morphzone moderator has been kind enough to clarify/elaborate on the origin of this #.

Post #778

I hope that Martin will clarify this confusion further and his source will give him the information he needs to clear up where this 540 number came from. Personally, I would not be surprised one bit if the 540 number is correct and that many people really did register with AmigaKit, showing their interest in buying an X1000. It is yet to be seen how many of them will spend the money to actually purchase one of them though.

Dandy 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 8:36:00
#48 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:

amigakit wrote:
@dandy

Quote:
why does AmigaKit hide it on their pages?

All the up to date information is on the AmigaKit X1000 website: www.amigakit.com/x1000

I know (meanwhile) - but why is the most obvious missing - access to this page via the menue structure of your web shop? Just link it to the menue and everyything is fine...

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

We have been advertising this sub-section of our webstore for nearly a year now.

Where? Must have missed that.
I already wanted to get an A1 X1k from the first batch, but I could not find any hint on your website how to order this product.
Not everybody has the hobby of finding & reading all advertisements on a regulary basis, you know...

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

A-EON have been publishing the link on every new press release.

That may be.
But a standard customer heard that it has been appointed that you are the exclusive, worldwide distributor for the A1 X1k and expects to find all further information on that machine and how to order it on your website/webshop - easily accessible via the menue structure.

You can't expect all your customers to be unemployed and have all day time to hunt and read press releases or advertisements.
(The unemployed are mostly those who are constantly moaning about the price of the A1 X1k, by the way.)

Where do/did you advertise here in Germany?
I cannot remember having seen a single Amigakit advertisement in the papers/magazines I read.
Also I hadn't seen this link being published on amiga-news.de, which I visit on a daily basis since a decade ago or so.

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

Every recent issue of Amiga Future magaizine has a full page advert with the link.

I have been a long-year subscriber of several German Amiga magazines. But all of them have been abandoned - just after they charged my account for another year of subscription. So I payed for 12 issues and got just two or three. I never was compensated for the rest.
As the info on amiga-news.de was anyway more up-do-date than any printed magazine ever could be and as the magazines had become thinner with each issue (but the price remained the same) I was fed up from subscribing Amiga magazines.

Stores also didn't have Amiga mags anymore and so I decided to live without...

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

Recently the link has been published in Micro Mart mainstream magazine.

What's "Micro Mart"?
It is not available here.

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

The official AmigaOS website carries the link. Even my signature has a link to the AmigaKit X1000 website. I do not think it is "hiding" the product away.

That's all fine and dandy.
But I still do not understand why you resist so fiercely to make this page accessible in your webshop via the menue structure.

If someone wants to find info on the A1 X1k or how to order it, the first thing he does is to look on your website - and not looking for pieces of a riddle here and there...

I mean - it is your business and you can do whatever you like - but a bog standard dumb customer expects to see the product he is interested in in the shop of the only dealer in the world that sells this product.
If he cannot find the product in the shop (no matter if it is a real shop around the corner or a web shop) he assumes it is not available and goes away - simple as that...

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

As with all our items, our policy is to only list out of stock products in our main catalog for ordering when they are imminent.

So the information/ordering page for the AmigaOne X1000 will be made available via the menu in your webshop in the course of the next few days (as thenext batch of A1 X1k is imminent now according to the mail I got a few days ago)?
I'll watch the webshop...

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

We have dedicated a whole sub section of our website to the AmigaOne X1000 which is unique for a product.

Yes - but you forgot the most obvious - to link this "whole sub section of your website" in the menue of your website!
That is also "unique for a product" in your webshop, as far as I can tell...

The menue has the item "amigaone / sam".
Everybody would expect this to be the place to go to to find information about the A1 X1k.
Clicking on "amigaone / sam" opens up a sub-menue: "Keyboard", "Mouse" and "OS 4.1 Systems".
As the A1 X1k is an OS 4.1 machine, one expects to find the required info there.
So one clicks on "OS 4.1 Systems" and - WTF - what's that?
No info on the A1 X1k?
Instead the "OS 4.1 Systems"-page shows a wireless card (that belongs in the "Networking"-section, if you ask me), several keyboards and a mouse.

Merely the last four items are SAMs.

But where is the A1 X1k?
Still not available - sigh - perhaps next ime...

Let me summarise:

To get all the information about the AmigaOne X1000 system and how to order it one has to
- read all English mainstream magazines (such as Micro Mart) to make sure not to miss the Amigakit advertisement with the link to www.amigakit.com/x1000
or
- hunt & find new A-Eon press releases with this link
or
- subscribe to AmigaFuture to make sure not to miss the link

From my point of view it would be far easier for a customer just having to click on "amigaone / sam" and then on "OS 4.1 Systems" in your webshops menue to get all the required info than having to hunt the link to the "secret" sub-section of your website dedicated to the AmigaOne X1000 by finding and reading press releases and alien advertsements...
(secret in the sense that it isn't linked in the menue)

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

All First Contact systems are new production run systems.

I would certainly not expect anything else.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 8:45:43
#49 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:

amigakit wrote:
@Spirantho

Ahhh - that's much better now (although its still missing at "amigaone / sam")!
Thank you!

Dandy

jorkany 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 15:08:15
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy
Quote:
Ahhh - that's much better now (although its still missing at "amigaone / sam")!

The big difference seems to be, all the items on the amigaone/sam menu have a price. Maybe it's not so easy for AmigaKit to get a product into their database without a price. Just a guess as to why it's not in the expected location.

eliyahu 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 16:13:11
#51 ]

@jorkany

Quote:
The big difference seems to be, all the items on the amigaone/sam menu have a price. Maybe it's not so easy for AmigaKit to get a product into their database without a price. Just a guess as to why it's not in the expected location.

can't believe i'm agreeing with you, but, yeah, i am. the secrecy surrounding the pricing of the system and its constituent components is very unfortunate indeed. if it's being done to avoid providing 'ammunition' to nay-sayers, there's no point. they'll find something else to complain about.

for those of us who are actual and/or potential customers, publicly disclosing the pricing on the item in question isn't too much to ask, surely. unless of course production costs for any given run vary substantially or something along those lines....

-- eliyahu

Hondo 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 21:29:43
#52 ]

@amigakit

Quote:

Putting the X1000 at the very bottom of your frontpage which is full of all sorts of stuff, is in my eyes totally degrading and wrong for this machine, even if it can't sell like normal products can.

When A-Eon or Hyperion or whoever is in charge, can't find out how to market this machine, then our last hope lies with you amigakit, and this is what you do?

I think it's about time you hire someone professional for this job, and if it means a redesign of your entire website so be it (it could use som cleaning up, and nicer graphics)

Oh and you also now need a link from the X1000 page to your main amigakit page.

Come on man don't let yourself look like an amateur here, hire someone to look into this, and make a brand new consistent webdesign which makes us all scream BEAUTIFULL!!

and make sure the X1000 page looks nothing but DAZZLING!!

Do we really need to tell you guys these things ? - even steve jobs kat knew the importance of such things like product introduction and marketing.

JurassicC 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 22:10:58
#53 ]

@Hondo

I Agree 100%.

Its always been the failure of the AmigaOS platforms... Marketing...

I know A-Eon's site has had an overview but it a step backwards imo.
Hopefully Trevor won't be offended by me saying that.
What are all those drop-shadows on the menus about ?

Take a look at Apples Ipad Site

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Modern, catchy full of zoom photography to identify key features. And above all an add to basket at the bottom, not a link off to another site.

Get a WOW "commercial" produced and get it on youtube and other video sharing sites.
Fast movement, punchy, sequence shortened kind of thing all the mobile phone companies hit you with.

I do think with the X1000 its time to stop being inwardly focused and attract from outside the box.

Overflow 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 22:27:09
#54 ]

@JurassicC

I disagree with regards to how the result of the re-design of the A-Eon page
panned out.

The OLD site gave a very amaturish feel, while the NEW version looks much
sleaker, and shows off more info in a minimalistic manner.

Room for improvements? Sure, I could prolly find something to critizse,
but overall a BIG step forward as far Im concerned.

With regards to Amigakits site; ye, when I read about them/him being
main distributor of X1000 I started clicking around out of curiousity.
Couldnt for the life of me find the page.

Overall a bit messy webpage, but works for what it is supposed to do...
But ye, It should be included in the "categories" menu on the left too.
I tried to find it under "amiga" and "amigaone" etc, and what it sent you to
made little sense.

Tho it should defo have the headline position of the shop.
A1200 and EZ Z4tower are nice to have as first thing to see... but
I would think they would get bumped in priority with regards to the X1000

Last edited by Overflow on 13-Jun-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 13-Jun-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 22:32:22
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
@amigakit

Quote:

Putting the X1000 at the very bottom of your frontpage which is full of all sorts of stuff, is in my eyes totally degrading and wrong for this machine, even if it can't sell like normal products can.

When A-Eon or Hyperion or whoever is in charge, can't find out how to market this machine, then our last hope lies with you amigakit, and this is what you do?

I think it's about time you hire someone professional for this job, and if it means a redesign of your entire website so be it (it could use som cleaning up, and nicer graphics)

Oh and you also now need a link from the X1000 page to your main amigakit page.

Come on man don't let yourself look like an amateur here, hire someone to look into this, and make a brand new consistent webdesign which makes us all scream BEAUTIFULL!!

and make sure the X1000 page looks nothing but DAZZLING!!

Do we really need to tell you guys these things ? - even steve jobs kat knew the importance of such things like product introduction and marketing.

Yes, if you wanna make the X1000 a success, then put it proudly in front. It's more than clear that this device will not cater everyone (e.g. me not), but more or less hiding it doesn't help. Since it's there now, promote it positively and correctly. Hiding the price is also rather suspicious and while I think it's pretty overpriced that doesn't need to be a showstopper, There are many overpriced products out there - and these products succeed because of good marketing. Marketing is a hard job, but a neccessary job.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 22:51:53
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

In my view the lack of desire to market Amiga products correctly is down to a mixture of two main misconceptions;

1) We can't possibly sell Amiga computers to new users

2) We don't need to market products to current Amigans or ex-Amigans.
"Build it and they will come!" mentality!

Both are flawed and both reasons will end up selling the X1000 short.

Trewq 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 23:44:23
#57 ]

@BigD

"1) We can't possibly sell Amiga computers to new users"

Yeah you can !, my most up to date AmigaOS is Workbench 1.2 (WHOOO!!)

I've heard of the Amiga in 2009 because of the games and I became a fanatic since, I just find the OS to be so cool and distinct (and of course looks like allot of fun to use), although I never used it but I'm going to get the OS4 Netbook without a doubt.

Last edited by Trewq on 13-Jun-2012 at 11:45 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 14-Jun-2012 0:14:36
#58 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Both are flawed and both reasons will end up selling the X1000 short.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd think a batch of 50 systems would cost $100K or more to make. Not exactly pocket change, so why would Trevor want to make hundreds more just in case you or anyone else decides to buy one?

The x1000 is selling out in days, the only flaw I see is the time it takes to get them into users hands. I also give AmigaKit credit for taking their time with each system they build to make sure they work right. Quality is alway better then quantity, so the time spent is worth it, ppl will just have to put up with slow shipping.

I do realize that putting down the efforts of others is cheaper then supporting them.

Hondo 
Posted on 14-Jun-2012 6:06:27
#59 ]

@sundown

Quote:
I do realize that putting down the efforts of others is cheaper then supporting them.

Nobody is trying to put others down here. We're just trying to resurrect the Amiga platform to just a tiny bit of it's former glory, by wanting proper marketing for this new machine. Is that too much to ask considering the whole teaser campaign and the following product was really exciting stuff! - REALLY EXCITING STUFF!!

The only thing I see wrong here is a lack of communication between the 4 companies who works to bring us back the amiga platform. Each of them have their own looking website, and each of them calls their machines different things with no consistency whatsoever. Now that is simply put not very professional....sorry.

One good thing is that Acube are allowed to call one of their machines AmigaOne 500. But why is it not called X500 - and why is it made in a completely different design than its elder brother the X1000 ??? see this is the kind of thing I'm talking about which I find unprofessinal

It's time to hire a really skilled marketing consultant to work with all four companies

Oh and the overall lack of communication is a chapter for it self.

This is a marketing scandal...nothing less

Reminds me of some former big company who didn't marketing their machines....ahemm can't remember what they were called now

Last edited by Hondo on 14-Jun-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 14-Jun-2012 at 06:09 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 14-Jun-2012 6:52:29
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

ACube & a-eon are both small companies working a small market. Marketing takes a lot of money to do, or maybe you think money grows on trees. The simple fact is, the x1000 is selling itself, batches sell out in hours. As far as communications, the companies are independent, they are not required to share anything with each other. Try telling IBM & Intel to share info.

Why is it ppl here can't get it into their head that this is a tiny market where big company marketing will break a company instead of building it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle