Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 180 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 zipper:  58 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 jPV:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 AmiKit:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Commodore-Amiga.org is now Commodore.net
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Commodore-Amiga.org is now Commodore.net
Posted on 5-Aug-2012 14:36:02
#21 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Apparently the purpose of the new site is even called into question by a moderator of the old site:

Quote:
The email notifications are useless. I used to just read the entries through my email account and only bothered to sign in when I needed to need to reply or moderate. Now the emails just tell you that the forum was updated, nothing more. Useless. Personally, I'm not seeing any reason to participate in this forum, or any reason for it to exist at all. If you want to announce something then either use facebook or twitter. If a person has a technical problem then you need to have a customer support line (a line that actually calls you back), not something public. This forum isn't for feedback as it will most likely get deleted by Barry. General discussions are also likely to get deleted by Barry, so you're better of on some other amiga forum. This all bring up the question of why CUSA even bothered doing this.

It may be early to say, but it seems from postings that the members miss the helpful information available in the old format.

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 5-Aug-2012 15:22:22
#22 ]
Elite Member

@number6

As well as the question of censorship is reopened by users, nice thing to see.

Almost nothing seems to be imported, wayback machine didn`t cache the entire forum, so many non aswered discussions and issues just remained ... dead and burried

Franko 
Posted on 5-Aug-2012 17:26:03
#23 ]
Elite Member

Barry Altman on his "new" improved site...

http://forums.commodore.net/showthread.php?52-you-asked-for-it-you-got-it-!

Quote:
I agree with +99% of all the suggestions posted here. We now have access to all the data from the old forum; it's just a matter of extracting what we need, formatting and converting it and then implementing it into all the new categories in our new forum. (not easy).

The topic sections will be greatly expanded to make things easy to use such as specific categories for each different product, sub categories for the various OS variations, hardware & software support, suggestions, general discussions...basically everything we had before, and a lot more. Please keep in mind this may take a week or so (just a guess), but it is our top priority now, along with the updates for Commodore OS Vision & Commodore OS Fusion.

Please keep this quote from the NEWS section in mind as we move forward in this endeavor:

"Please take the time to read our TOS and FAQ. Please understand that this is our official corporate forum, and as such it's primary purpose is to promote and support our products, our customers, potential future customers and those that have an interest in our line of retro and innovative contemporary products."

We have no intention to edit, remove, alter, dismiss or in any way censor any of your posts, replies or suggestions. And this specifically includes me . What seemed like a heavy hand in the previous forum will not be the normal operating procedure here. I only ask that things remain civil, constructive criticism is welcome and the postings reflect the true spirit of what we are trying to accomplish. Unlike most other public forums, I would only ask that you think of this forum as my personal living room. All are welcome, but please don't spit on the floor, use an ashtray, refrain from making nasty comments about the drapes and furniture and treat all our guests respectfully.

Postings that trash our products, trolls, those that reverse engineer our products with the intent to exemplify the costs and sources with the intent to either expose our private business and manufacturing processes, those that discus and or in any way promote our competitors products and those that in any fashion run contrary to our main forum purpose (read the above paragraph) will be deleted. Since this company is privately held, the will be no conversations regarding sales figures, profits and distributions and any other private information that normally would be disclosed for a publicly traded corporation.

The look and feel of this forum will be greatly improved as we intend to apply a new skin (open to immediate discussion and suggestion) There is a huge selection of skins that are available; just Google "vBulletin ver 4.2.0 skins". There are thousands of selections to choose from....dig in and start exploring.

Lots to do, and with your continued support and patience, we look forward to presenting a truly remarkable and unique forum experience that we can all enjoy.

Barry

White Man Speak With Forked Tongue...

Remarkable... not from what I can see... mundane would be more apt...

Unique... I suppose you could give them that after all how many other sites are there that can claim to be as bad as that lump of keech...

My how the Mighty (in their own mind) have fallen...

vox 
Posted on 5-Aug-2012 19:07:13
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
White Man Speak With Forked Tongue... Remarkable... not from what I can see... mundane would be more apt... Unique... I suppose you could give them that after all how many other sites are there that can claim to be as bad as that lump of keech... My how the Mighty (in their own mind) have fallen...

And I didn`t see much resistance surviving not deleted and blocked account on past thread also.

To me, they have just hidden some questions and fake announcements
while hidding behind the move. Another clean restart.

vox 
Posted on 6-Aug-2012 17:58:51
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

BIG FONTS, Music, 3 WIze men ... Even direct democracy, every fool with net can vote (and smarter ones!)

http://anticusa.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/httpforums-commodore-n/

Last edited by vox on 06-Aug-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Nameless 
Posted on 11-Aug-2012 18:57:22
#26 ]

I used to try to post in their old forums and also tried to be fair about my suggestions and improvements they could make.

I say 'try', as a large percentage of my posts were edited or deleted entirely. It became pointless to even post on their forums, as one had to dance around certain subjects very carefully, then hope one's post didn't simply just vanish.

I can understand editing obscene, vulgar or combative posts, but that isn't what commodore's forums are about. They are about increasing sales for them, and when someone says something like their computers may be overpriced, or perhaps they should include an Amiga-like OS on their Amiga system, they tend to not like that very much.

It's really incredibly silly and makes an open discussion impossible. I also was always baffled by the 'rah rah' posts, where CUSA would make a somewhat lame post, like 'super secret announcement coming!'... or 'COS will now have even more screen effects!'... and they'd get odd followup posts gushing over their 'non-announcements', and like half a dozen thank yous per post. I am guessing they were mostly just employees doing those followup posts, but it made their forums look even less professional than they already were.

Last edited by Nameless on 11-Aug-2012 at 06:59 PM.

vox 
Posted on 11-Aug-2012 21:06:29
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Nameless

Quote:
I can understand editing obscene, vulgar or combative posts, but that isn't what commodore's forums are about. They are about increasing sales for them, and when someone says something like their computers may be overpriced, or perhaps they should include an Amiga-like OS on their Amiga system, they tend to not like that very much.

Can you please summarize your experience to an article, maybe with pictures or any proofs of edited messages? Would love to publish it on blog.

P.S. Barry explained WHY and HOW censorship will continue,
and people applaud him.

Its interesting to see how brainwashed people can be not to see what is said and written.

Last edited by vox on 11-Aug-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Nameless 
Posted on 11-Aug-2012 22:14:24
#28 ]

@vox

I never took screenshots or anything like that, if that's what you are asking. And since the forums aren't there anymore, it's not like I can point to my previous posts on the forum. You don't really need proof of censorship on their old forums, as it was common knowledge. I recall one moderator stating that even his posts had been deleted at one time or another. Everyone who used that forum eventually realized that posts were censored.

My basic experience was something like this...

I recall someone posting constructive criticism on a thread when the amiga minis first came out. He went of his way to say his post was meant as constructive, but he had some issues with the pricing. I followed up in agreement, also comparing prices to iMacs and Alienwares, saying how it's even more expensive than them and if they want to be competitive, they really need to lower their prices.

Next day entire thread was gone. Myself and the other poster put up a thread asking why a thread on constructive criticism was censored -- and also pointing out that we were polite, no arguing or anything like that. And our thread on censorship was also deleted entirely.

As for other situations... I recall a thread about their OS or why AOS should be ported to CUSA... several posts were deleted from that one, including a rant against Barry from someone with a moderator tag (I could at least understand deleting that specific post). Basically any posts that pointed out the fact that their Amigas were lacking in Amiga-like features or were too expensive, had a good chance of getting edited or deleted entirely.

My last post was in a thread with an eager pro-cusa person, where I was trying to stress than their Amiga should have some unique features (either software or hardware) and not simply be a run of the mill PC with Linux installed. I was polite, but that post got deleted too. After that, I just said goodbye and good luck...

Last edited by Nameless on 11-Aug-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Last edited by Nameless on 11-Aug-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Last edited by Nameless on 11-Aug-2012 at 10:15 PM.

vox 
Posted on 12-Aug-2012 10:13:20
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Nameless

I tried to open account and be polite, asking just about what C=USA promoted. Leo deleted it immidiately and that was before he started cursing me and so on ...

Seems no Amigans welcomed there, and I recall Leo saying "they wish they have community of their own". Seems so.

There is Way Back Machine Internet service, but it did cached just the main page.
However, some of the excerpts are saved on Anticusa blog.

Published in original
http://anticusa.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/nameless-experience-with-older-commodore-amiga-org-board/

With some excerpts from my favourite movie "Brasil" by Terry Gilliam

Last edited by vox on 12-Aug-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Last edited by vox on 12-Aug-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Last edited by vox on 12-Aug-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle