Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  36 secs ago
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  22 mins ago
 Karlos:  30 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  35 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  New version of Frontier Elite
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
The_Editor 
Re: New version of Frontier Elite
Posted on 3-Jan-2013 18:08:40
#101 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid

Quote:
after trying desperately to outrun a pursuer by playing the biggest game of chicken you can.

The only way I could beat baddies in Frontier was to "AutoPilot" lock on them. IT's not as though I was a really bad Dog fighter either

[youtube]X5pZn0amCJ8[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pZn0amCJ8

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 3-Jan-2013 18:10:34
#102 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

>>Quote:
It's probably hard to understand without a historical perspective, but luxuries are a relatively recent invention, and modern capitalism would not exist without them.

And is this good/bad? I don't see why buying another overpriced iphone at £495 makes a better society or allows us not to go into recession.

Quote:
The reason we're not all unemployed is that people started to have "surplus" income, also known as "disposable income".

Who has disposable income?

Quote:
or even services like say hand car washes (you can wash your own car!), etc.

Totally disagree, I wash my own car and have no disposable income just like many thousands of people.

I don't buy into the argument. But let's leave it for another time.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 03-Jan-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Last edited by TheDaddy on 03-Jan-2013 at 06:26 PM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 3-Jan-2013 22:35:17
#103 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

Quote:

The words here are too fantastic, too steeped in awe for any normal mind to digest. All you see as you gaze at this post is static. Perhaps in a few centuries, human minds will be able to comprehend the complexity and subtleness of such a fine post, but not today. No, not today...

You let out a little bit of wee, your body no longer able to withstand the sheer magnitude of the post before you. Your eyes fight the tears that must surely follow such greatness.

Moderator uber-fail. I edited your carefully considered post instead of replying. I'm very sorry, SpaceDruid! These are the remnants of your post that I quoted in my reply -- clebin

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 04-Jan-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 04-Jan-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 04-Jan-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 04-Jan-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 04-Jan-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 04-Jan-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 03-Jan-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 03-Jan-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Google Translate

Plaz 
Posted on 4-Jan-2013 1:45:21
#104 ]

If these new ships are going to be boardable (wishful thinking at this time) then I can see the need for much more design complexity and internal maps to go with them. If however it's another 100K for just 3D models flying in space, I'd agree the exrtra 100K seems out of line. At the rate the pledges are coming in at the end, the 1.5m mark looks doable and the 1.4m mark may hit in the next couple of hours.

Plaz

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 14:28:23
#105 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

What i find so funny,is why people like you is so damn hung up in this kickstarter?? There are so many horrible things happening in the world everyday,but people like you talk about this KS as if it was a new Hitler on the rise!! Don't you understand that you are only making a fool of yourself,by this neverending pointless nonsense anti elite campaign you and other similar trolls have been pulling the last 2 months?

A normal person don't act like this,just because they don't like a game,unless they are 14 years old! If this was about something serious,like wars,famine or whatever,i would understand fully. But it's a game for crying out loud! Get a grip!!

Mod Note: A report has been made against this post and processed

Last edited by _Steve_ on 06-Jan-2013 at 10:11 PM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 15:15:53
#106 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Caveman

Quote:

What i find so funny,is why people like you is so damn hung up in this kickstarter??

Hung up? This is a thread about a kickstarter project and you are upset I'm talking about a kickstarter project on it?

I didn't realise the rules on this thread prevented anything but praise.

Quote:

There are so many horrible things happening in the world everyday,but people like you talk about this KS as if it was a new Hitler on the rise!!

This I find deeply offensive.

Quote:

Don't you understand that you are only making a fool of yourself,by this neverending pointless nonsense anti elite campaign you and other similar trolls have been pulling the last 2 months?

The only fool here is a person who would aquate a civil discussion about a computer game to the mass murder of millions of people.

And when did disagreeing with something become trolling? Methinks you are trolling me with such a flame baited post

Quote:

A normal person don't act like this,just because they don't like a game,unless they are 14 years old! If this was about something serious,like wars,famine or whatever,i would understand fully. But it's a game for crying out loud! Get a grip!!

Precisely, so why are you acting like such a sanctimonious idiot?

Google Translate

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 16:53:12
#107 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

It's a videogame,get over it!

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 18:18:58
#108 ]

@Caveman

Quote:

It's a videogame,get over it!

If it is not important, why did you decide you would take the time to flame me?

Google Translate

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 18:26:27
#109 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

You don't know when to stop,do you?

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 18:40:32
#110 ]

@Caveman

I don't know why you are in the mood you are in, but don't take it out on me. I have reported your initial post for personal attack and will report your subsequent posts for trolling.

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 06-Jan-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 06-Jan-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Google Translate

eliyahu 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 18:44:22
#111 ]

@SpaceDruid

and just like that, godwin's law is proven once again.

-- eliyahu

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 19:08:46
#112 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

So that you have been flaming David Braben,hinted that he is a bad man,is OK in your opinion? When several 1000 other companies lay-off people around the same time he did,because it is the time this usually happens? Do you know the full story behind this? Do you know if those that was lay-off did'nt know about it long before it happen? For all you know,they got another job at the moment this happen.

The only agenda you have had with this,is to put of people to back this campaign,and probably because you don't like the game,or maybe don't like Frontier Development/David Braben for some reason.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 20:23:36
#113 ]

@Caveman

Quote:

So that you have been flaming David Braben,

Unless you know for a fact Braben is reading this thread, that doesn't even make any sense. To flame, you need to be actually talking to the person you are trying to provoke a reaction from.

Your post (105) was nothing more than a personal attack against my character. You addressed it to me, knowing I would read it. That's what flaming is (or trolling as some newer members of the online community now call it).

Your post served no purpose whatsoever, other than to attack me. It has no relevance in this thread.

My posts on the other hand were about Brabens history when working with projects like the one he is proposing with this kickstarter, the current workings of his company and the flawed presentation he made at the start of his campaign and therefore are entirely relevant.

Quote:

hinted that he is a bad man,is OK in your opinion?

I don't particularly like the man for reasons I've already explained. In short, he has badmouthed nearly every space game since Elite, claiming they all lacked imagination. This while he himself had done nothing further to advance the genre.

That is not the same as saying he is a bad man. Perhaps it's a language issue? Perhaps the use of the word "bad" means something different in your native tongue? In mine, "bad man" would indicate I thought he was evil or malicious. This I don't do. I don't know him well enough to make such a judgement.

His company laying off 14 people just before Christmas on very little notice doesn't paint him in a very good light though, does it? It's not unheard of and perhaps unavoidable, but it doesn't paint his as a saint.

Quote:

When several 1000 other companies lay-off people around the same time he did,because it is the time this usually happens? Do you know the full story behind this? Do you know if those that was lay-off did'nt know about it long before it happen? For all you know,they got another job at the moment this happen.

"Eurogamer understands the affected staff were told they were being let go at 6pm on Friday 14th December - 11 days before Christmas." (From the article I quoted)

Does that sound like they were in full knowledge they were about to lose their jobs or had other jobs prepared? They found out they were losing their jobs last thing on a Friday 11 days before Christmas.

Unless you have information that says differently, how on Earth can you try to morally justify these sackings by trying to paint something flowery and rose tinted over them?

Quote:

The only agenda you have had with this,is to put of people to back this campaign,and probably because you don't like the game,or maybe don't like Frontier Development/David Braben for some reason.

My only agenda?

I've made it very clear the reasons why I don't think this was a good investment and I provided evidence to back my claims.

And why post your insulting posts today? My last proper post contained the words Sarcasm aside, I hope the game meets your expectations peeps. it would be nice to see another contender in the steadily (re)growing space category. However slim I consider that to be." That doesn't seem to deserve the post you made today does it?

I had made a follow up post which was in reply to ChrisH that was accidentally deleted by clebin which he made the comment "your carefully considered post"

Does that in any way indicate I made a troll (or flaming) post? How does any of my posts in this thread possibly excuse the rudeness and personal attacks you levied against me in post 105? Every single one of my post prior to you post today have been entirely relevant to the issue at hand. I offered my opinion.

If you don't like my opinion then that's OK. It's a free forum, we are allowed to disagree, nobody dies. But to launch into a personal attack against me, seemingly at random and then to follow it up with posts that have no purpose other to incite my anger is unacceptable.

If you want to discuss the game or the events surrounding it's creation then do so in this thread. If you wish to attack me personally, then at least have the common decency to do so in private.

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 06-Jan-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by SpaceDruid on 06-Jan-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Google Translate

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 21:23:30
#114 ]
Cult Member

@SpaceDruid

I never seen David Braben badmouth any spacesim ever,infact i've seen him do the opposite of what you claim. And bringing in Eurogamer article to prove your point,is just silly. It's nothing in that Eurogamer article,that you can call journalism at all! (complete lack of proper research is one) and

Why would Chris Roberts give his support to David Braben,and even go so far as asking Star Citizen backers to help out Elite Dangerous,if it was any truth in David Braben badmouth other spacesims? Actually,i saw with my own eyes,that David Braben defended Josh Parnell's(Limit Theory) When people bashing out on Limit Theory(That does'nt sounds like badmouthing other spacesims,does it?)

What you call evidence,i call speculations,and nothing more. Every kickstarter campaign has a risk in it,just as venture capital has risk in it. If people want to put money in it,that's their choice. If you don't like David Braben,so what? I don't care! Vote with your money,and spare us this anti elite campaign you are running.

I am finnish with this discussion!

THE END

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 22:07:10
#115 ]

@Caveman

Quote:

I never seen David Braben badmouth any spacesim ever,infact i've seen him do the opposite of what you claim

And what do you know, I have. But since most of this was done back in 2006 when he was trying to drum up support for his elite game then, I don't have any links since most of the websites have either moved to new servers or have simply vanished.

You don't need to believe me anyway since I was only explaining my reason for not liking him. Not liking isn't the same as not thinking the person is capable of making a game though. Even if I did like him, it wouldn't change my views on the capabilities of Frontier Developments.

Quote:

And bringing in Eurogamer article to prove your point,is just silly. It's nothing in that Eurogamer article,that you can call journalism at all! (complete lack of proper research is one)

So you make a claim about the way the staff were treated based on nothing whatsoever, then try to moralise about lack of proper research... Hypocrite much?

If you are after proper research, then try researching the link I provided. Managing director David Walsh CONFIRMED the story to be true. You know? The guy who did the sacking?

HIS OWN WORDS

“Once we took the decision to make the roles redundant, we felt it was better that the affected people knew ASAP so they can plan any further expenditure over the Christmas period accordingly and focus on their search for new roles as soon as possible. We have provided redundancy arrangements in excess of the minimum.”

Quote:

Why would Chris Roberts give his support to David Braben,and even go so far as asking Star Citizen backers to help out Elite Dangerous,if it was any truth in David Braben badmouth other spacesims? Actually,i saw with my own eyes,that David Braben defended Josh Parnell's(Limit Theory) When people bashing out on Limit Theory(That does'nt sounds like badmouthing other spacesims,does it?)

As I said before, he gave interviews back in 2006 when he was trying to get funds for this game the last time by talking it up to the press. He was asked what he thought of other space games and he wasn't complimentary. He tried to claim they were all just copies and nobody had taken the concept forwards.

I thought he was very arrogant to do so.

If he has changed his mind since, then that's nice, but it doesn't change the fact of his previous actions.

Quote:

What you call evidence,i call speculations,and nothing more.

I mentioned evidence in relation to his past failures. Past failures isn't speculation. Speculation is what you do based on evidence of past experience.

You haven't understood any of my previous posts, or are being deliberately misleading.

Quote:

Every kickstarter campaign has a risk in it,just as venture capital has risk in it. If people want to put money in it,that's their choice.

You must have a short memory. One of the biggest bugbears this website had about Amiga Inc was the coupon scheme. People didn't understand what it was they were buying into and therefore understandably were very upset when nothing came of it.

Explaining on this thread why this Kickstarter in particular might be very risky isn't a bad thing. I'm sorry you think people shouldn't be made aware or have all the information they need to make an informed choice.

Quote:

If you don't like David Braben,so what? I don't care!

Your flame/troll posts would suggest you seem to care quite a lot.

Quote:

Vote with your money,and spare us this anti elite campaign you are running.

Campaign? My last post (that was intact) was four days ago where I posted I hoped people would get what they wanted after the goal was reached. The only campaign that seems to be happening right now is the one you are running where you seem to be trying to discredit me for not sharing your opinion.

You are not the only other contributor to this thread. I've been having discussions with others here and will continue to do so as I see fit. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Quote:

I am finnish with this discussion!
THE END

I thought you were Norwegian?

Google Translate

CritAnime 
Posted on 6-Jan-2013 23:31:38
#116 ]
Cult Member

@Caveman

Woah sparky why the butthurt? Looks to me that SpaceDruid has done nothing in this thread to actually warrent the abuse.

On topic though.

as much as this new Elite interests me I do wonder if there is a touch of peter molyneux syndrome going on and there is possibly more hype than what is actually going to be in the game. I still wonder where the game will fit in the genre alongside games like X and EvE Online. Thats not to say I probably would end up buying it.

Last edited by CritAnime on 06-Jan-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Akiko 
Posted on 7-Jan-2013 1:27:05
#117 ]
Cult Member

A quick shout-out to those that haven't heard that Kate Russell is planning an Elite Dangerous novel called "Mostly harmless"if there is anyone else here interested in supporting her.

Kickstarter - Mostly Harmless

Last edited by Akiko on 07-Jan-2013 at 01:27 AM.

CD32/ FMV Module

Caveman 
Posted on 7-Jan-2013 3:16:17
#118 ]
Cult Member

@CritAnime

Who knows,only time will tell if this game will be good or not.

I played EVE online some years ago,and the main difference is that the control of the ship,was more like push a button kind of thing,and was unable to control it directly with a joystick/keyboard(but things might have changed since i played it). EVE is a good game on its own,but is very different than Elite. Same goes for the X series,good game,but different. What Elite Dangerous will become like,is hard to say. I pledged for Star Citizen,Elite Dangerous and Limit Theory, Should be a interresting 2014 me thinks.

CritAnime 
Posted on 7-Jan-2013 3:40:06
#119 ]
Cult Member

@Caveman

EVE over the last couple of years has gained some interesting advancments. Planetery exploration, wormhole exploration, player run stations, POS stations and not forgetting to mention the Titans. Yes your limited to what you can do with the ships in terms of space flight, though double clicking in space tells the ship to fly in that general direction, but I think it makes up for it with all the other stuff in the game. Also Dust has been released, think it's still in beta and I have a pass, which gives it another dimension.

X I do think is like the original Elite games just minus the planetery stuff. It would be cool to have a better economy system in X, not as complex as EVE but maybe a bit more dynamic.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Plaz 
Posted on 7-Jan-2013 3:51:30
#120 ]

@Caveman

I've read the old documents and related commentary on Braben and his legal case with Bell and GameTek. Based an that data, the recent layoffs, the length of time it's taken to move on a new Elite, and the less than stellar beginning to the KS, having a health dose of skepticism for the kickstarter project is understandable. I looked at the data and made a judgment call, Space Druid did the same. Then we came here and talked about the reasons we chose the way we did. The only thing surprising here is the way you seem to be taking so personally and then responding with the name calling. Having a bad day?

Plaz

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle