Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  14 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  18 mins ago
 matthey:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  44 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 djnick:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Another blow by the usual dude to PPC
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
cdimauro 
Re: Another blow by the usual dude to PPC
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:24:28
#41 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Toaks wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

Next generation consoles will not be some much different from the current ones from the hardware point of view: Nintendo will lag behind, recycling again the old GameCube's CPU...

Pardon?, i have traveled high and low and yes that WiiU thing might be correct indeed but that comes down to one simple thing, sales! other than that i am stumped where your information comes from.

It has been recently found by an hacker that the CPU is a triple core, where each one is the same as GameCube & Wii, but running at 1,2Ghz.

Not exiciting...
Quote:
As for this GameCube Cpu you're referring to, just for the record, it has sold over 110 MILLION units and it's still going even tho very slow now (thank god!!).

Who cares? We are talking about technical specs.
Quote:
As for project Durango (Microsofts xbox monster project) and project Orbit (Sony's new monster) both seem to go totally different this time around and both rumors and trustworthy sources indicates quite the opposite of what youre claiming here.

Really? Wii U right now seems to stay between a PS3 and XBox360 on average, which is a shame for a "next generation" console.

PS4 and XBox will be much more powerful compared to their old brothers, so you can draw your conclusions.
Quote:
I suggest you go to any major console and tech website and have a read, also yes its rumors and unanmed sources so it might not be for real but! keep in mind this is the 2 same persons who leaked the PS Vita , The new Slim ps3 and the 360 slim and all bundles and so on months! before they got confirmed.

I did, thanks. PS4 and XBox Next will be based on AMD's APUs, with 8 cores and a much more modern GPU. At least for the XBox Next, the cores are rumored to run 4 hardware threads each, so that the execution units will be keep almost always busy (similar to Intel's Larrabee/Kights Corner).

Wii U is a toy comparated to them...

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:31:41
#42 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

Actually _it is_ a toy. Nintendo learned a lession with the Wii. It's not so much about tech specs it's more about game fun. The high tech spec'd consoles get always soonly overtaken by PCs. Nintendo does cheap hardware for pocket money while actually earning money. I like that appoach.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:32:01
#43 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
I don't see why: there aren't "next generation" Amigas. There are PCs, Macs, and AmigaOnes, which are very different machines.

There are even two branches marketing "next generation" Amiga branded desktop computers:
AmigaOne/AmigaOS by Hyperion
Amiga Mini (Mio) by CommodoreUSA (not sold anymore, I fear)

If they are "Amigas", why they are branded this way, and not simply as "Amiga"?

You know that Hyperion has no right to use the Amiga brand. Only AmigaOne, Amiga One, AmigaOS and Amiga OS are usable.

But, yes... we are just talking about brands, whereas the machines do have nothing in common with the ones made by Commodore.
Quote:
Quote:
Amiga is a clearly defined set of machines with (very) custom hardware and ad hoc operating system.

Clearly defined? Show me two Amiga users with the same definition of "Amiga".

I don't care about users, but about history, and history says that the last Amiga (branded) machine by Commodore had a custom hardware, on top of which ran an had hoc operating system.
Quote:
Quote:
If so, I can suggest you three solutions: buy a better CPU (there are Ghz+ and powerful enough PowerPCs), write a good 68K -> PowerPC JIT compiler

Exactly. That is the right way. Cleanest and fastest path to full software compatibility without need to create some monstrous union of legacy and modern technology.

Back to topic...

PowerPC is dead on desktop. Single core performance of the fastest PowerPC core in existence is less than 1/4 of common and cheap Core i5. Further, there is no PowerPC SoC suitable for netbooks or even tablets.

I totally agree.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:36:36
#44 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
It's a very long thread, so I saved it, and I'll read when I have enough time. May be this weekend.

may not be worth to read all of it. in a nutshell a fpga or x86/arm accelerator for genuine amigas (or fpga arcade) is being discussed. on fpga arcade the interface is obvious. on amiga pci, usb and few alternatives are considered to connect to processor or zorro bus. the accelerator card acts as host, the amiga obviously as device providing the genuine chipset (in case of pci it can be seen as a sort of pci expansion) the host is either fpga running 68k softcore (additionally providing some modern interfaces on its own if sufficient and feasible) or x86/arm/whatever cpu/soc running 68k emulation (additionally providing some modern interfaces on its own if sufficient and feasible).

thats it, well at least as i understand it, the rest are details.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:37:49
#45 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

I guess PPC missed it's chance 5-10 years ago, when there were still PPC desktops and software development.

Apple wanted to move on Intel x86 much sooner, even before MacOS X was sold.

They stayd on PowerPC only because an IBM top manager promised them the G5, which came some years later.

But the (new) transition was only delayed, as we know.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:39:25
#46 ]

@cdimauro

I'm well aware of that. John Sculley said that PPC was his greatest mistake and that they should have gone Intel back then.

Panthro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:54:22
#47 ]

@cdimauro

the fact is that Amiga.Inc designated the AmigaOne's as the NG Amiga's it was an official designation
not a branding.

Maybe one day your dream of X86 Amigas will come true, I suspect it might many years from now. There are a lot of reasons why not though, big legal reasons.

The branding of the CommodoreUSA emulation boxes is not an official designation or path of Amiga.Inc its just a licensing of the name, know the difference :)

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:56:39
#48 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

Actually _it is_ a toy. Nintendo learned a lession with the Wii. It's not so much about tech specs it's more about game fun.

Nintendo just made an hazard, because its economic situation wasn't good.

Also, may be you don't know that was STMicroelectronics to knock at the Nintendo's door, proposing to integrate the MEMS for a brand new controller.

Nintendo got the ball, and decided to make a bet, which succeed.
Quote:
The high tech spec'd consoles get always soonly overtaken by PCs. Nintendo does cheap hardware for pocket money while actually earning money. I like that appoach.

Which is the opposite regarding Nintendo history, were every new console was a milestone to which refer, from a technical point of view.

Wii was a big change in this philosophy, and the Wii U will do the same.

However, we are OT.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:58:49
#49 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
It's a very long thread, so I saved it, and I'll read when I have enough time. May be this weekend.

may not be worth to read all of it. in a nutshell a fpga or x86/arm accelerator for genuine amigas (or fpga arcade) is being discussed. on fpga arcade the interface is obvious. on amiga pci, usb and few alternatives are considered to connect to processor or zorro bus. the accelerator card acts as host, the amiga obviously as device providing the genuine chipset (in case of pci it can be seen as a sort of pci expansion) the host is either fpga running 68k softcore (additionally providing some modern interfaces on its own if sufficient and feasible) or x86/arm/whatever cpu/soc running 68k emulation (additionally providing some modern interfaces on its own if sufficient and feasible).

thats it, well at least as i understand it, the rest are details.

OK, thanks.

I think that only a 68K (68020) is the only interesting thing to look at, since it's lacking, and there is nothing around.

cdimauro 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 22:04:49
#50 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Panthro wrote:
@cdimauro

the fact is that Amiga.Inc designated the AmigaOne's as the NG Amiga's it was an official designation
not a branding.

So why they didn't call it simply "Amiga"?
Quote:
Maybe one day your dream of X86 Amigas will come true, I suspect it might many years from now. There are a lot of reasons why not though, big legal reasons.

I don't care about that. As I said, Amiga was an unicum, a mixture of custom hardware and software, which has never repeated.

For everything else which resembles the old good days, I use AROS, which runs on many architectures, and even on chip x86 or x64 machines.
Quote:
The branding of the CommodoreUSA emulation boxes is not an official designation or path of Amiga.Inc its just a licensing of the name, know the difference :)

Yes, I know. That's why I talk of brands about PCs, Macs, AmigaOnes, and as Amiga for our beloved machines, making a clear distinction.

wawa 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 22:22:20
#51 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
I think that only a 68K (68020) is the only interesting thing to look at, since it's lacking, and there is nothing around.

as for fpga you likely know that tg68 implements it half a way, at least bitfields as far as i remember, may get improved. on the other hand there is a guy who has an asm 04 emu for the x86 at hand. i though would prefer winuae 68k jit emu along with fpu/mmu just stripped of chipset part running on fast single core x86 treating the amiga as aga gfx card, keyboard interface and housing.

Last edited by wawa on 21-Jan-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Paul 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 1:01:05
#52 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro, wawa, and Wolf to the Moon

Thanks for YATPACHA. . .

(Yet Another Three Page Advertisement (for) Classic Hardware (and) Aros

Paul

KimmoK 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 7:21:42
#53 ]
Elite Member

A few things:
"i5 is cheap"
-no it's not, many "Amiga" suitable PPCs are cheaper.
(less powerfull, less heat producing)

"no RPi kind of PPC SoC"
-during last year Verisilicon demoed "tablet" PPC SoC, IIRC 1Ghz PPC460 with OpenGL2.0 GPU. But as long as there is no (big) customer we might not see those chips on the market.
(page 21)

Last edited by KimmoK on 22-Jan-2013 at 07:36 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

actungbaby44 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 7:28:58
#54 ]

@KimmoK

Well just reading when xbox 720 will use ppc cpu Sony ps4 will use amd though

Also why is it that my xbox 360 can have decent web browser and people being saying for years

Oh to diffcult to run x 86 code on ppc hello seems run fine to me , are they using emulation ?

My playstaion 3 browser is okay but not the best have to admit xbox one is better

KimmoK 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 7:41:26
#55 ]
Elite Member

@actungbaby44

"are they using emulation ?"
They are using fully native browser I'm 99% sure.

(just like our MUIOWB & Timberwolf, but on a tricore 3Ghz CPU)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 7:55:52
#56 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I know perfectly what i'm talking about.

It's seems to me that you don't accept any single word of what other trying to say, quoting and replying to any single word or sentence.

Why i started this thread?

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 22-Jan-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 22-Jan-2013 at 07:56 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 8:07:43
#57 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

as for fpga you likely know that tg68 implements it half a way, at least bitfields as far as i remember, may get improved.

Yes, I know that the TG68 core is incomplete, and a lot of work need to be done to get a "basic" 68020 softcore.
Quote:
on the other hand there is a guy who has an asm 04 emu for the x86 at hand. i though would prefer winuae 68k jit emu along with fpu/mmu just stripped of chipset part running on fast single core x86 treating the amiga as aga gfx card, keyboard interface and housing.

Frankly speaking, I don't see the value for such a thing.

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 8:20:06
#58 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@cdimauro

I know perfectly what i'm talking about.

Me too.
Quote:
It's seems to me that you don't accept any single word of what other trying to say, quoting and replying to any single word or sentence.

I have MY opinions. Don't you? I've expressed my ideas, like any other user, so why you're bothering me? Don't you like freedom of speech?
Quote:
Why i started this thread?

I don't know. Paul didn't like it, too.

Next time, think twice before opening a thread like this.

You're Italian, and having read my article you had, and have the chance to submit a comment if you deserve to say something, without putting the "offending" question in this forum.

The worse, you chose to open it on the OS 4 section, whereas I think that a better place could be the "Chat".

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 8:35:01
#59 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
A few things:
"i5 is cheap"
-no it's not, many "Amiga" suitable PPCs are cheaper.
(less powerfull, less heat producing)

I was talking about x86 or x64, not i5 specifically.

Take a look at the last Atom if you focus on power and heat. The next Atom will do much better.

But Haswell will be an incredible core: (great) desktop performance in a few watts...

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 8:35:16
#60 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I've not used any offending word.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle